2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix Pathway Scholars Program (PSP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Doogie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application for the Pathway Scholars Program opened today. It is due 12/1/17, with LORs due 12/15/2017. I received word from Gaby, the administrative associate working with PSP, today that there is a new MCAT minimum of 495.

Best of luck to you all and update as you move along.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else applying to this? What about people who already applied that can offer pointers? :)

Anyone else applying to this? What about people who already applied that can offer pointers? :)

I will be next year! If I run into anyone applying for it this year (or PSP alumni) , I'll ask them to come here and share.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be re-applying this cycle but I am currently waiting for my score for MCAT taken on 9/9/17. Anyone else a re-applicant?

I will be re-applying this cycle but I am currently waiting for my score for MCAT taken on 9/9/17. Anyone else a re-applicant?

Do you mind sharing your stats & experiences from last year when you applied?

Rejected earlier today so guess I will be applying for PSP! Good luck everyone. :)

Hey everyone current PSP student here! Our schedules are a little lighter right now so if you have questions, now is the time to ask! If you have not come in for a campus tour and/or seen the webinar on the website, I HIGHLY recommend it. It answers a lot of logistical questions like financial aid, tuition, etc.

Good luck to you all! :)

Can I apply for PSP if I have a good GPA/MCAT and shadowing/volunteering? I'm just having trouble understanding. I know that it builds competitive applicants through academics and shadowing, so would this not apply to me? I'm first gen. and socioeconomically challenged, with an interest in underserved medicine.

Also, I read 10 get accepted, any idea how many apply?

Last edited:
Can I apply for PSP if I have a good GPA/MCAT and shadowing/volunteering? I'm just having trouble understanding. I know that it builds competitive applicants through academics and shadowing, so would this not apply to me? I'm first gen. and socioeconomically challenged, with an interest in underserved medicine.

Also, I read 10 get accepted, any idea how many apply?

You can absolutely apply! Many past and current students have strong GPAs, good MCAT, and a lot of clinical experience and research. That being said if you have a sGPA of 4.0, scored in the 90th percentile for MCAT, and have published papers this may not be the most appropriate program for you.

Last year ~200 people applied and ~30 got interviews.

You can absolutely apply! Many past and current students have strong GPAs, good MCAT, and a lot of clinical experience and research. That being said if you have a sGPA of 4.0, scored in the 90th percentile for MCAT, and have published papers this may not be the most appropriate program for you.

Last year ~200 people applied and ~30 got interviews.

Thanks for your response! My LM is 69 and no published papers so there is plenty of room for improvement. I currently am still waiting on UA - Phoenix decision regarding my application, though. I have not heard anything since I submitted my secondary. However, if I get rejected, I would really like to attempt the UA Pathway Scholars Program and the deadline is approaching. Not sure if you (or anyone else) knows, but is it inappropriate to apply before knowing their decision, or will it affect their decision?

Thanks for your response! My LM is 69 and no published papers so there is plenty of room for improvement. I currently am still waiting on UA - Phoenix decision regarding my application, though. I have not heard anything since I submitted my secondary. However, if I get rejected, I would really like to attempt the UA Pathway Scholars Program and the deadline is approaching. Not sure if you (or anyone else) knows, but is it inappropriate to apply before knowing their decision, or will it affect their decision?
I think you would qualify as a candidate based on that :) It still is quite competitive so you want to take your time on your application (it’s basically a primary + secondary in one, if it’s the same format as last year), and the deadline is December 1st!

I would defer to admissions for that question, you can give them a call at 602-827-2005. Last year, there was an option to “link” to your MD application for recommendations, so if they had that link on the actual application I don’t see how it would be a problem. Aside from that, my understanding was that they did not even start looking at PSP applications until after the deadline, so idk how that would interfere with your MD application. Again, I’d defer to admissions! I hope you choose to apply!

@Petrana2013 Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are choosing to apply to the PSP over matriculating with one of your DO acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Petrana2013 Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are choosing to apply to the PSP over matriculating with one of your DO acceptances?
I haven't even made that choice yet because it's a big one, but I have interests in the more competitive specialties such as plastics (reconstructive, such as burn units), orthopedics, urology and after speaking with physicians, old admissions for some schools, and my professors, it is still more difficult for a D.O. to land these specialty residencies. I also really love UA as I have toured/interviewed and the tuition at osteopathic schools are pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
I sent in my application last week after being invited to apply via email post regular admission rejection. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back to you? Currently have a DO acceptance somewhere I like quite a bit, but feel I would likely reject it if I got into this program considering it is so local, I like the program quite a bit, and it’s 20ish thousand a year cheaper. Seems like someone brought this up, but it is essentially an acceptance to the med school yeah? It seems the only real condition I can find is that you dont fail post-bac classes. I guess I should wait to see if I even get invited but it would be scary for someone to turn down a true acceptance.

I sent in my application last week after being invited to apply via email post regular admission rejection. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back to you? Currently have a DO acceptance somewhere I like quite a bit, but feel I would likely reject it if I got into this program considering it is so local, I like the program quite a bit, and it’s 20ish thousand a year cheaper. Seems like someone brought this up, but it is essentially an acceptance to the med school yeah? It seems the only real condition I can find is that you dont fail post-bac classes. I guess I should wait to see if I even get invited but it would be scary for someone to turn down a true acceptance.
Last year interview invites were sent out on mid-Jan, interview was early Feb, and acceptances went out mid/late March. I would also ask on interview day when you should expect to hear back. For me, choosing this program over a DO was a great decision, but it’s a personal one so I would take your time to think about it.

Application closes today! good luck!

Last year interview invites were sent out on mid-Jan, interview was early Feb, and acceptances went out mid/late March. I would also ask on interview day when you should expect to hear back. For me, choosing this program over a DO was a great decision, but it’s a personal one so I would take your time to think about it.

Application closes today! good luck!

Thanks for the timeline!! Do you know what the conditions are for the MCAT in order to matriculate since they have you take it twice? (Before you apply and in the program)

Good luck to all who applied! Now the waiting game begins :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the timeline!! Do you know what the conditions are for the MCAT in order to matriculate since they have you take it twice? (Before you apply and in the program)
The MCAT requirement is evolving so I would speak to the Pathways office directly about what that requirement would look like for next year. There are several milestones you must meet before matriculation is recommended, both academically and professionally. It isnt enough to pass the blocks although it’s a requirement so I hesitate to say you’re “guaranteed” acceptance. You have to be proactive with how you spend your time, especially between the two high-intensity blocks. Take advantage of all learning opportunities and put your pride to the side and listen to feedback. That part is especially crucial. That being said, a Pathways student NOT matriculating the following year is a very rare occurrence, but it has happened. Bring your A game from day one, the same you would do if you were an MS1 and you should be ok!

Good luck!

The MCAT requirement is evolving so I would speak to the Pathways office directly about what that requirement would look like for next year. There are several milestones you must meet before matriculation is recommended, both academically and professionally. It isnt enough to pass the blocks although it’s a requirement so I hesitate to say you’re “guaranteed” acceptance. You have to be proactive with how you spend your time, especially between the two high-intensity blocks. Take advantage of all learning opportunities and put your pride to the side and listen to feedback. That part is especially crucial. That being said, a Pathways student NOT matriculating the following year is a very rare occurrence, but it has happened. Bring your A game from day one, the same you would do if you were an MS1 and you should be ok!

Good luck!
Will do! Definitely not implying it's an easy sit around guaranteed acceptance, but like you said I suspected it's rare people don't do well considering the selection process/support the program offers. Thanks for the input :D

Does anyone know if there are housing options available for pathway scholar students? Has anyone heard back yet from the program for interview invites? I received an email three days ago regarding a specific prerequisite and the syllabus for that course but I'm still anxiously waiting for a reply

Does anyone know if there are housing options available for pathway scholar students? Has anyone heard back yet from the program for interview invites? I received an email three days ago regarding a specific prerequisite and the syllabus for that course but I'm still anxiously waiting for a reply

I might be wrong- but when I went to the open house they did not mention any housing options being available. Doesn't mean they can't help though, I'm not totally sure. I got an email a few days ago just saying they were reviewing apps and that there was a change in the Interview date to 02/12. It said we should hear back by the end of the month. I have a feeling it will be sometime next week...fingers crossed :)

I might be wrong- but when I went to the open house they did not mention any housing options being available. Doesn't mean they can't help though, I'm not totally sure. I got an email a few days ago just saying they were reviewing apps and that there was a change in the Interview date to 02/12. It said we should hear back by the end of the month. I have a feeling it will be sometime next week...fingers crossed :)
Thank you! I’m still waiting to hear back, so nervous now, best of luck to both of us

Thank you! I’m still waiting to hear back, so nervous now, best of luck to both of us
Thank you! Same to you. I really felt like it had to be this week and can't stop checking my dang email. Last years thread, II went on 01/20. Maybe Friday will be our lucky day.

Today's the day (hopefully). Fingers crossed for everyone :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just called them and they told me anytime this week! I thought it was at the end of the month which it today!

I just called them and they told me anytime this week! I thought it was at the end of the month which it today!
Ugh I called too and was told the same thing. I'm holding out hope that we're told sometime today because I'm kind of going crazy. Interview is in 12 days and have to get a Monday off of work. I'm shocked we still haven't gotten any further correspondence.

I know, I am also quite bussy with my job and I have to go to an out of state meeting until Monday and when are we going to have time to get ready if we get accepted.

I know, I am also quite bussy with my job and I have to go to an out of state meeting until Monday and when are we going to have time to get ready if we get accepted.
Yeah it's going to be really hard with my job at this point. Based off of old threads the latest people have been notified is the 20th to 21st so not sure why they're so far behind. The day is still fairly young, so hopefully they'll notify of us sometime today but I feel like I've been saying that for the past week haha. Good luck and keep us updated.

Yeah it's going to be really hard with my job at this point. Based off of old threads the latest people have been notified is the 20th to 21st so not sure why they're so far behind. The day is still fairly young, so hopefully they'll notify of us sometime today but I feel like I've been saying that for the past week haha. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last year deadline was Dec 1st. But this year was Dec 15th so I was guessing we will hear back at the end of this month but this wait is killing me for sure!

Last year deadline was Dec 1st. But this year was Dec 15th so I was guessing we will hear back at the end of this month but this wait is killing me for sure!
Ah I didn't realize that. Perhaps that is why. Keeping my fingers crossed. I work on a computer so I pretty much just stare at my inbox all day :laugh:

Ah I didn't realize that. Perhaps that is why. Keeping my fingers crossed. I work on a computer so I pretty much just stare at my inbox all day :laugh:
YEP I am staring at mine too!:laugh:

Interview invite today! So happy:D

Interview invite! :D I was too scared to open my email so I let it sit there for a bit...

Just confirmed the sandwich request, its all so real :playful:
To get a sandwich or a salad...the real questions. Haha. It's my first MMI o_O I wonder how big our group will be, I could've sworn there was previously two interview days. Anyway I'm so excited we all got interviews.:highfive:

Congrats to everyone who got an II!! Looking forward to meeting you guys at the lunch!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone! Just called the admissions office and they said interviews are still going out until tomorrow!

Update: The admissions office is still reviewing applications and more interviews are expected to go out next week.

I got an interview, but I will be withdrawing. Good luck guys.:)

To get a sandwich or a salad...the real questions. Haha. It's my first MMI o_O I wonder how big our group will be, I could've sworn there was previously two interview days. Anyway I'm so excited we all got interviews.:highfive:
CONGRATSSS!!!