2017-2018 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
University of California Irvine Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UCI? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from sunny Southern California to all you 2017-2018 Applicants!

Our class is made of people from many backgrounds and experiences: science majors, non-trads, people in their 20's and 30's, singles and married couples, and people of different ethnicities and orientations. We are excited to help a great new pool of applicants discover what makes UCI an amazing place to study medicine.

To this end, we've also created an open FB group where you can ask questions to our whole class: "Ask Me Anything About UCI School of Medicine." There you'll get a variety of responses from current students who will speak from their own real personal experiences. Feel free to post questions to FB, or SDN, or direct message me if you want to ask something more private and personal. Congrats on all you have already achieved in order to be ready to apply! We are excited to help you and get to know you this cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This might be a bit early, but as I'm pre-writing secondaries, for "What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)", does anyone think it would be appropriate to write about how I achieved a high level of playing piano and guitar, without having had access to instructors?

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a bit early, but as I'm pre-writing secondaries, for "What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)", does anyone think it would be appropriate to write about how I achieved a high level of playing piano and guitar, without having had access to instructors?
That sounds pretty awesome!

@xialmos An essay that demonstrates how your dedication to music represents your love of learning could be great. A strong internal drive for self-education and self-improvement is 100% necessary for a career in medicine. And perhaps you have found opportunities to share your talent, thus benefiting others in the process?

Can someone answer these questions about UC Irvine:

Are there plenty of ultra quiet places to study?

Quiet 24 hour study areas?

Help available, like help room where you can go to get help without having to hire your own tutors?

Pass/fail?

Near a subway station?

Are there plenty of ultra quiet places to study? Yes. In the Medical Eduction Building (MedEd) There is a quiet room with cubicles, as well as over a dozen study room for big or small groups. We also have access to graduate student study lounges in the libraries of the main UCI campus

Quiet 24 hour study areas? Yes, in MedEd.

Help available, like help room where you can go to get help without having to hire your own tutors? UCI provides free tutors on an as needed basis. Tutors are generally students from the year above you who did well in the class you are struggling with.

Pass/fail? Yes first year. Honors/pass/fail for the rest. Basically its all pass fail

Near a subway station? We do not have subways in Irvine. There is monthly parking available at school. Many students carpool, take the campus shuttle, or ride their bikes.

My answers to the the two secondary essays will be related to each other, but will be expanded upon differently with respect to the pertinent details. Will this be a bad thing?

Edit: Also just received the secondary within the last hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys share the secondary essays?

1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 char)

do y'all know if there's a strict criteria on which communities are underserved and which are not? i don't want to claim that i've worked with an underserved population for more than a year if adcoms at UCI have a different idea of what underserved means..

If we haven't gotten a secondary yet, do you think they are still sending it out?

Secondary! One of my top schools! :D my girlfriend goes to UCI undergrad and the city is just BEAUTIFUL

Anyone aware of their screening process?

Does anyone know what to put if you HAVE spent significant time working with underserved populations, but never one that was a full year? Can we combine multiple activities for this one?

I didn't expect to get a secondary as an out of stater...

Secondary revived

Is this the type of heavily screened ones?

Does anyone know what to put if you HAVE spent significant time working with underserved populations, but never one that was a full year? Can we combine multiple activities for this one?

I combined multiple activities to equal/exceed a year. Don't think it's an issue

For the "What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)" prompt, would it be lame to write about raising my GPA? I have a really strong upward trend and there isn't anywhere else in the application where I can explain my poor academic performance early in college, but I also have other accomplishments, like getting some of my poetry published, that probably make me more unique. What do you guys think?

I think too many people will write about GPAs. BUT I also would want to be sincere about what you feel was your proudest accomplishment...in the end, I would opt to write about something unique instead

I think too many people will write about GPAs. BUT I also would want to be sincere about what you feel was your proudest accomplishment...in the end, I would opt to write about something unique instead

You just made me google "Aaron Rodgers medical school" lol

You just made me google "Aaron Rodgers medical school" lol

I don't know why people don't think it's really me. I'm in my 30s, already have a super bowl, probably not getting another one with the current O-line and running back, so I figure why not medical school. Probably go into ortho since I'm such a stellar athlete.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know why people don't think it's really me. I'm in my 30s, already have a super bowl, probably not getting another one with the current O-line and running back, so I figure why not medical school. Probably go into ortho since I'm such a stellar athlete.

Any chance I can get Olivia Munn's cell phone number?

Secondary revived

Is this the type of heavily screened ones?

It would seem that roughly half of applicants receive a secondary (~3500) and about a third/quarter (~900) of those receive an interview.

I saw these figures posted somewhere previously.

258yu8j.jpg

Direct from UCI website

Reactions: 2 users
Are you guys including labs in the pre-requisite section?

Hi all. I wanted to get your thoughts on the year of dedicated service question. Is it talking about one dedicated year or could it be two activities that add up to a year? Like one is 11 months and the other one is 5 months or something...would you just list both of those or does it need to be that each activity listed for this section would be over one year...?

Commenting to get on this thread. Good luck everybody!

Hi all. I wanted to get your thoughts on the year of dedicated service question. Is it talking about one dedicated year or could it be two activities that add up to a year? Like one is 11 months and the other one is 5 months or something...would you just list both of those or does it need to be that each activity listed for this section would be over one year...?
I put multiple activities that span over a year

received an email saying they have received my app. about how soon did you guys end up receiving the secondary?

Hey guys, haven't received a secondary yet but I don't think I would be screened out? Anyone know what they are specifically looking for?