2017-2018 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if I tell I’m interested, since I was asked, I would begin this coming summer? No interview or application needed? Just to be clear.

There may be an interview, but I’m not sure. The best thing to do is to ask for more information through email.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the actual timeline for those in the conditional acceptance program? I saw the post bacc schedule which starts in the summer. Are we to assume it’s the same or strictly fall/winter/spring?

I think it would follow the med school schedule and you would start in early August.

Hi everyone! I got an email today asking me for the additional financial aid forms. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with a decision? I haven't heard back yet. I interviewed mid-February for MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed mid Feb too and got the same email. I don’t think it has anything to do with our decision. Or else the line that says “You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future“ is sneaky lol. All waitlisted applicants also have to do the forms due May 1.
Thank you! I figured it couldn't mean anything more than a waitlist but I thought maybe it could mean at least that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the office and asked them how decisions would work for the April 3rd interview date bc of the proximity to the AAMC April 30th deadline. They said that they're hoping to get decisions out by April 20th. They also said that the chances of admission are the same as other interview dates so no waitlist interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called the office and asked them how decisions would work for the April 3rd interview date bc of the proximity to the AAMC April 30th deadline. They said that they're hoping to get decisions out by April 20th. They also said that the chances of admission are the same as other interview dates so no waitlist interview.

I think AdCom would do their best to let the 4/3 interviewees know ASAP so they can have some time to decide before the decision deadline. From what I've seen in the past, they usually release decisions for the last interview day at least one week before the deadline.

Do they typically make calls on Friday? Or can they come any day of the week?
After heavily stalking these forums, I have found that one user was accepted on a Saturday (11/11/17), and another was accepted on a Monday (10/16/17). Two others were accepted on a Thursday (11/2/17). The rest were accepted on Fridays (x6) (10/20/16, 12/8/17, 12/15/17, 1/12/18, 2/2/18, 3/10/18). Odds are we find out on Friday, but hey it could be another week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if/when UC Irvine has their second look?

"March 15th is the day that schools are required by the AAMC to have sent out acceptances equal to the number of total seats their class has."

So for those who have yet to interview here in the next week or two, does that mean we're essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot? Because according to this AAMC rule, UCI has already sent out all the acceptances? I'm assuming that chances of acceptances from interviewing now are way lower than earlier in the cycle?

Last edited:
"March 15th is the day that schools are required by the AAMC to have sent out acceptances equal to the number of total seats their class has."

So for those who have yet to interview here in the next week or two, does that mean we're essentially interviewing for a waitlist spot? Because according to this AAMC rule, UCI has already sent out all the acceptances? I'm assuming that chances of acceptances from interviewing now are way lower than earlier in the cycle?
Reading comprehension is a skill. If UCI class size is 104, then by 3/15, UCI must have offered admission to, at minimum, 104 students. Obviously, not all 104 students will attend UCI. For 104 spots, assume they will offer admission to ~250 students in total? (2.5 X seems to be a reasonable multiplier for most schools).

To your original question, it is theoretically possible that UCI has offered admission to 104 out of an eventual 250 students. Thats only 40 percent of admission offers made.

So, based on the AAMC rule quoted, at this point in time, UCI could have tendered anywhere between 40% and 100% of their admissions offers by 3/15 --- info that is completely and totally irrelevant to any applicant.

Reading comprehension is a skill. If UCI class size is 104, then by 3/15, UCI must have offered admission to, at minimum, 104 students. Obviously, not all 104 students will attend UCI. For 104 spots, assume they will offer admission to ~250 students in total? (2.5 X seems to be a reasonable multiplier for most schools).

To your original question, it is theoretically possible that UCI has offered admission to 104 out of an eventual 250 students. Thats only 40 percent of admission offers made.

So, based on the AAMC rule quoted, at this point in time, UCI could have tendered anywhere between 40% and 100% of their admissions offers by 3/15 --- info that is completely and totally irrelevant to any applicant.

That’s not very nice. There is literally no need for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted just now though phone call from Dr. Peterson! Interviewed 2/26! :)

And I wanted to ask if anybody knows whether Irvine has second look? I don’t remember hearing this from The dean

Last edited:

And I wanted to ask if anybody knows whether Irvine has second look? I don’t remember hearing this from The dean

Congratulations!! Has anyone else heard anything? I’m sure there were more acceptances or even waitlist notifications today. I haven’t heard either

I have a question! Did UCI SOM increased their tuition? I thought they used to be cheaper than UCD but I saw their recent COA and their tuition is now equal to UCD

Congratulations!

As for second look, Irvine does not have an official second look day. Instead they invite you to various events that are held by the SOM. This information will be included in the UCI SOM newsletter that is sent out via email to accepted students, so keep an eye out for that.

Hi all, for admitted applicants, has anyone received any financial aid information from UCI? Also, has anyone had any issues with the office not receiving your FAFSA? I submitted my FAFSA long ago but my aid status still says needed T.T!

really hoping to get fin aid information before April 30th!

Waitlisted :/ when would be a good time to send a letter of intent/interest? Should I even bother sending one at all? Not sure if UCI really even takes them into consideration.

Also I interviewed on February 14th for those of you who are wondering.

Waitlist consideration happens towards the end of April around the decision deadline once students with multiple acceptances start withdrawing their acceptances. The best time to submit a letter would be around that time.

Does anyone know if/when UC Irvine has their second look?

UCI does not have a formal second look. Accepted students are invited to UCI School of Medicine events as an informal way to talk to current medical students and faculty. If you had more questions about UCI, you could ask Dr. Peterson or call the admissions office to see if they could arrange you to meet with a student.

I have a question! Did UCI SOM increased their tuition? I thought they used to be cheaper than UCD but I saw their recent COA and their tuition is now equal to UCD

Not sure about this. I believe tuition across all the UC medical schools is similar (though not necessarily exactly the same).

Hi all, for admitted applicants, has anyone received any financial aid information from UCI? Also, has anyone had any issues with the office not receiving your FAFSA? I submitted my FAFSA long ago but my aid status still says needed T.T!

really hoping to get fin aid information before April 30th!

You can contact Luis Medina from the UCISOM financial aid office to ask any financial aid related questions. Try calling first for more direct questions.

Have any accepted students received information on the checklist? Specifically, has anyone received the health/vaccination forms?

Have any accepted students received information on the checklist? Specifically, has anyone received the health/vaccination forms?

Haven't recieved anything yet, I'm also curious about this. Judging from last year's guidelines available on the UCI website, nothing should be due till July at the soonest, so there should be plenty of time to get it all together even if they don't notify us for another month or so.

Hey guys - I didn't go to UCI for medical school but I did go there for college and lived in Irvine for ~20 years so if you have any questions about the city itself or orange county let me know!

I would say that you shouldn't wait for them to send you a notice if you know you are going to Irvine. The Form for health clearance is readily available online Information for Incoming Students | Medical Education | School of Medicine | University of California, Irvine

That link i posted is an old page but the form is essentially the same. Health clearance and vaccination requirements are usually very rigid

The list @Drekan311 posted has all the documents and information you'll need to submit with the deadlines listed. Vaccinations/health clearance and transcripts are the main things you'll need to take care of sooner than later. Most of everything else (if I remember correctly) can be done electronically.

@Cookiess I was hoping you could tell me how UCI views letters of intent. Is it worth sending one or should I not bother?

If UCI is your top choice, I don't see any harm in submitting a letter of intent. Waitlist movement should start very soon (in the next 1-2 weeks) so sending the letter sooner rather than later would be more helpful.

Does anyone know how we are notified if we get off the waitlist? Thank you!

There's definitely waitlist movement! I was recently accepted and will be going to UCI! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Question for @Cookiess - just curious about the iPad policy this year, since I'm looking into getting an iPad Pro for school. Is UCI still doing Apple gift cards, or are we given an iPad at orientation?

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who got in off of the waitlist, around what time did you get the call? Please send me some luck

Anyone hear back from the waitlist either today or yesterday?

There's definitely waitlist movement! I was recently accepted and will be going to UCI! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Question for @Cookiess - just curious about the iPad policy this year, since I'm looking into getting an iPad Pro for school. Is UCI still doing Apple gift cards, or are we given an iPad at orientation?
Congrats!! :) Out of curiosity, did you send in a letter of interest/intent? Also when did you interview?

Thank you!! I did send a letter of intent, and I interviewed in September.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted from the waitlist this morning! I am ecstatic. IS, Lizzy M 71. I did send a letter of interest with updates attached and a letter of intent. I also was lucky enough to have some physicians at work really pull for me towards the end of April which I believe played a huge role!