2017-2018 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted from the waitlist this morning! I am ecstatic. IS, Lizzy M 71. I did send a letter of interest with updates attached and a letter of intent. I also was lucky enough to have some physicians at work really pull for me towards the end of April which I believe played a huge role!

Congrats!! If I may ask, when did you send your letter of intent? and you sent it to medadmit as a pdf right? Just wanna make sure I did it right crossing fingers :x

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! If I may ask, when did you send your letter of intent? and you sent it to medadmit as a pdf right? Just wanna make sure I did it right crossing fingers :x
I sent mine through the portal — just have to type into the text field. I got a notification that my update was received. If you didn’t, you may want to follow up!

Just got accepted from the waitlist this morning! I am ecstatic. IS, Lizzy M 71. I did send a letter of interest with updates attached and a letter of intent. I also was lucky enough to have some physicians at work really pull for me towards the end of April which I believe played a huge role!
Congrats!! See you in August!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent mine through the portal — just have to type into the text field. I got a notification that my update was received. If you didn’t, you may want to follow up!

Oh okay!! Yeah I sent mine via email and got a reply that it was added to my application for admissions committee review. It just didn't have my attachment on the reply email so I got worried ahah

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how did the physicians pull for you? I have a new LOR that I've been contemplating whether to send or not.

Also - did you send your letter of intent soon after your update? I just sent my update a couple days ago, but definitely want to submit a letter of intent sooner rather than later.

I got off the waitlist today. I got a call from the dean at around noon.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I sent my letter of intent probably mid april with an additional update as well. I sent it as a pdf through medadmit, correct.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how did the physicians pull for you? I have a new LOR that I've been contemplating whether to send or not.

Also - did you send your letter of intent soon after your update? I just sent my update a couple days ago, but definitely want to submit a letter of intent sooner rather than later.

The wonderful physicians I work with actually offered to reach out to admissions directly. This may or may not have been a huge game-changer, but I am incredibly appreciative nonetheless. I would say to send the new LOR as it couldn't hurt assuming you know that this letter would reflect well on your behalf. I also sent in an additional LOR.

My letter of interest was first in January, letter of intent mid April. Both letters also included the update so it wasn't like I sent a separate update and then a separate letter.

The wonderful physicians I work with actually offered to reach out to admissions directly. This may or may not have been a huge game-changer, but I am incredibly appreciative nonetheless. I would say to send the new LOR as it couldn't hurt assuming you know that this letter would reflect well on your behalf. I also sent in an additional LOR.

My letter of interest was first in January, letter of intent mid April. Both letters also included the update so it wasn't like I sent a separate update and then a separate letter.

Oh wow, thanks for sharing! That's really interesting. I think I'll go ahead and send the LOR, but wait on sending the letter of intent since it seems too soon after my update/letter of interest.

There's definitely waitlist movement! I was recently accepted and will be going to UCI! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Question for @Cookiess - just curious about the iPad policy this year, since I'm looking into getting an iPad Pro for school. Is UCI still doing Apple gift cards, or are we given an iPad at orientation?

Congrats on the acceptance! Students are given a gift card sometime around the time school starts in August for the UCI bookstore in an amount equivalent to how much the iPad mini base model costs. Most of us upgraded to the iPad Pro and paid the difference. I would assume they would do the same for this year's incoming class since we use our iPads to take our exams. I personally think the cost of the upgrade to the iPad Pro is worth it, considering the bigger screen and ability to use an Apple Pencil.

Is there a facebook group for accepted students?

Accepted students should be getting an email about the accepted students facebook group soon (if they haven't already gotten one). You can email Dr. Peterson to ask if you haven't been added yet within the next few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how likely it is to get some sort of scholarship from uci? Or do the majority of students use loans?

Was wondering if any current UCI students could comment on the $200 million gift to UCI medical school from the Samueli's. The LA times ran an article titled "A $200-million donation threatens to tar UC Irvine's medical school as a haven for quacks" (I'd post a link but SDN won't allow me). Will UCI students be looked at in a negative light when it comes to matching?

Currently on the waitlist here.

Was wondering if any current UCI students could comment on the $200 million gift to UCI medical school from the Samueli's. The LA times ran an article titled "A $200-million donation threatens to tar UC Irvine's medical school as a haven for quacks" (I'd post a link but SDN won't allow me). Will UCI students be looked at in a negative light when it comes to matching?

Nope. The gift is controversial because it provides funding for "integrative medicine" programs. This should be separate from the traditional MD track students. It's not like they're suddenly going to teach homeopathic remedies to their MD students. The Samuelis also have donated in the past. Both UCLA and UCI's engineering schools are named after Henry Samueli.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. The gift is controversial because it provides funding for "integrative medicine" programs. This should be separate from the traditional MD track students. It's not like they're suddenly going to teach homeopathic remedies to their MD students. The Samuelis also have donated in the past. Both UCLA and UCI's engineering schools are named after Henry Samueli.
Good to know! I appreciate the reply.

Any waitlist movement at all this week?

Sweating bullets over here.

Anybody know how likely it is to get some sort of scholarship from uci? Or do the majority of students use loans?

Some students do receive scholarships but I'm not sure how many do since we don't really talk about scholarships amongst ourselves. The scholarships that I am aware of are partial tuition scholarships ($5k to $15k, although there may be other scholarships in higher amounts) and these are either renewable for all four years or are offered as a one time scholarship. Other scholarships may be available but we don't talk about our scholarships or financial aid so I'm not sure what else is available.

Any waitlist movement at all this week?

Sweating bullets over here.

Waitlist movement has been occurring throughout the week (there are some open spots from applicants that have withdrawn), although I'm not certain whether waitlist notifications/acceptances are done on a particular day of the week or being given as soon as a decision is made.

This was addressed during our last quarterly Dean's meeting (where all of the Deans of the School of Medicine bring the medical students together and provide updates about the school/curriculum/etc.). From what I gathered, the donation isn't going to impact us and our curriculum as much as the public makes it out to be. We'll have some supplemental lectures (key word being supplemental) that discuss patient care from a more holistic perspective. One example is having more lectures on nutrition and how that impacts our patients, particularly patients with diabetes, high cholesterol, or other diseases that are more significantly affected by nutrition.

The take away is that these supplements to the curriculum would introduce us (medical students) to more holistic approaches to patient care (for example, having us consider a patient's nutrition and diet when providing care for his/her diabetes) but the supplements are not designed to take away from the allopathic methods of practicing medicine. In essence, the supplemental lectures would provide us with additional knowledge that might be helpful in treating patients but the supplements are not necessarily designed to change the way we're trained to treat patients.

Is everyone else still having issues with the immunization portal link given on the updated accepted students page?

Still on the waitlist :( Is there hope at this point?

Still on the waitlist :( Is there hope at this point?

Also hoping for hope here :(

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users