2017-2018 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take you to get your secondary?
So, I submitted AMCAS June 18th and was verified on July 11th. Secondary was received on July 13th and I completed it on the 19th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, but does everybody have the "Activate your UCINetID" text in your Application Status of your portal? Same with the "Interview Status" and "Interview Date"?

Also got an II yesterday! Super stoked; #1 choice. IS, Lizzy M ~ 74. Complete 7/23. Two September dates were available

Members don't see this ad :)
If I haven't received a secondary yet, am I screened out? I was verified June 7th

Last edited:
If I haven't received a secondary yet, am I screened out? I was verified June 7th
I doubt it. They have already notified/rejected people promptly, some withing 24 hrs even (according to previous posts)

Reactions: 1 user
So if you haven't received a rejection letter, then you are still in it? I just thought they do silent rejections lol. Just because people who applied after me already got their secondary, and I've been quiet since June.
No silent rejections from this school, thankfully! I think they used to in the past, though.

damn, then not sure why I haven't received a secondary or heard a no yet

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat! Verified late July and still no word :)

I already got rejected from UCR though so my chances aren't looking too good! :p

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat! Verified late July and still no word :)

I already got rejected from UCR though so my chances aren't looking too good! :p
Sorry about that. I hope more schools are coming your way though! May I ask if the UCR rejection was pre/post secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
II received just now, woohoo!! OOS MSTP applicant with LizzyM 76. Submitted secondary on 7/31.

II at 10:00 PM! Complete July 12th.

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke to a few people who are familiar with the admissions process for some of the UCs, and was told that UCI in particular emphasizes lots of clinical hours. One of them said UCI won't consider a clinical experience to be meaningful unless the applicant has 300-400 hours in it. I'm not sure how exaggerated that number is, but it's certainly supported by my experience.

Just wanted to let you know that I had <200 hours of clinical, and <100 hours shadowing, and got an II. However, I do have ~2k hours of research, but I'm not sure if Irvine really cares about that.

Hi guys, I'm writing the secondary for UC Irvine now and am wondering if it would be appropriate for me to "double-dip" the clinical and community activities. Essentially, my two most important clinical experiences were both volunteer-based. The significant majority of my "community service/volunteer hours" are clinical. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not my volunteer tutoring for biology students would be considered a "school activity" or a "community service" activity. After graduation, I assisted my old bio professor's biology class and held weekly review sessions.

I might call their office and seek clarification as well...will update.

Ok, I called admissions and am thoroughly confused...

First off, she stated that she couldn't give me specific advice on how to fill out the application...fair enough. When I asked about the activities section, however, she mentioned to NOT list activities that were listed on your primary AMCAS application. :uhno:

On the "activities" section, it states: "Please list those activities that are most important to you, for the most part these include activities listed on your AMCAS application. This information will serve as a summary of your key activities and will be used by the Admissions Committee when screening your application."

Am I missing something? Idk man..

Hi guys, I'm writing the secondary for UC Irvine now and am wondering if it would be appropriate for me to "double-dip" the clinical and community activities. Essentially, my two most important clinical experiences were both volunteer-based. The significant majority of my "community service/volunteer hours" are clinical. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not my volunteer tutoring for biology students would be considered a "school activity" or a "community service" activity. After graduation, I assisted my old bio professor's biology class and held weekly review sessions.

I might call their office and seek clarification as well...will update.
Take my advice with a grain of salt because I haven't heard anything back yet after submitting the secondary, but:
-I advise not to double dip, it just doesn't look good. Put the activities in the category that you feel fits best, whether clinical or community service. Also, I just put everything that was on my AMCAS primary - I think the lady you were talking to might have been mistaken or misunderstood your question. It says on the secondary app that it will mostly be your AMCAS activities. I think the bio tutoring thing is up to you - sounds more like an opportunity that you got through school (and more school-related than community-related) even though it was after you graduated.

I think you're ultimately correct. Those are my instincts as well, but I just don't want to have a gap on my community service...not much to be done though.

Does anyone have tips/insights into the interview at Irvine?

Rejected 8/18: in-state applicant, LizzyM ~70. Received secondary 7/11, submitted 7/18, marked complete shortly after submitting.

Good luck applicants!

It's 2 traditional interviews, 1 with a student, 1 with a faculty member over at either the medical center or at the SOM campus. Day of interview, they'll hand you a folder with the 2 traditional interviewers' names. The student interviews are usually pretty chill, they'll ask about your app and what you've done. And for the faculty member, they try to match you up to someone that knows about an activity you did on your application (bonus if you actually attended or did stuff at UC Irvine on your app; they will try to get someone that tangentially knows the person/PI but does not know you directly). They'll ask you about your app, your interest in medicine/UC Irvine, what you want to be in the future, what your opinion/knowledge is on the current hot topic in medicine (i.e.: opioid crisis, ebola epidemic, zika virus public health issue, etc.), what have you been doing so far, other common traditional questions like that. However, do note that life happens, and they might replace your interviewer last minute with someone else.

There's also 1 mini-interview involved, which is timed and taped so that they can review it later. For the mini-interview, act composed but professional. Introduce yourself, shake hands with your interviewer, slow down your speaking if you need to to remain calm, answer the prompt, etc. At the end, thank your interviewer for their time. Also, they time the mini-interviews inside their OSCE rooms, but a word of advice: IGNORE THE BELL TIMER IF IT MAKES YOU NERVOUS. You want to come across as an approachable, empathetic, and knowledgeable person. Don't rush into it and come across as a jerk.

Do you know if these are open or closed interviews?

I believe they are closed, though don't quote me on that. My interviewer quoted my stats, so some of them do review your app before meeting you. In any case, it's just good practice to know what you wrote about on your app and translate it into verbal form.

Thank you for your help!

There's also 1 mini-interview involved, which is timed and taped so that they can review it later. For the mini-interview, act composed but professional. Introduce yourself, shake hands with your interviewer, slow down your speaking if you need to to remain calm, answer the prompt, etc. At the end, thank your interviewer for their time. Also, they time the mini-interviews inside their OSCE rooms, but a word of advice: IGNORE THE BELL TIMER IF IT MAKES YOU NERVOUS. You want to come across as an approachable, empathetic, and knowledgeable person. Don't rush into it and come across as a jerk.
For the mini-interview, is it just you and the interviewer (and the camera)? Or is there an actor in the room and you have to act out a scenario with them?

For the mini-interview, is it just you and the interviewer (and the camera)? Or is there an actor in the room and you have to act out a scenario with them?

Camera in the corner of the room and out of the way, but just you and the interviewer. They gave us a prompt last time, but they might change it this year to be an acting scenario.

I believe they are closed, though don't quote me on that. My interviewer quoted my stats, so some of them do review your app before meeting you. In any case, it's just good practice to know what you wrote about on your app and translate it into verbal form.

Any tips for the Irvine interview?

On another note, does anyone know some really interesting/unique things about Irvine that are good talking points for "Why Irvine?"

Rejected pre interview ! I'm glad they let me know early though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was completed July 17th and haven't heard anything. Feeling nervous since this is one of my top schools. -fingers crossed-

I mean, location wise, Irvine is pretty great. Eastern Asian food galore, if that's your thing. Proximity to Newport Beach. Socal sunny weather. A University Town Center with Cali favorite stores (Chipotle, Chick fil A, In-N-out, and a new Target is coming in I believe).

But in terms of the clinical program, early clinical exposure through preceptorships in MS1 (though you can drive as far as 40 miles to get to where you need to go...that 405N traffic sucks). Huge research programs. The SOM is right next to a bunch of research facilities (Beckman Laser Institute, etc.), not counting the ones you can literally directly walk to on the undergrad side of campus across a bridge. If you're doing the host program or attending the dinner before your interview, that's a good chance to know more about the school too.

As for tips, review your app and make sure it's consistent with what you say. Be polite to everyone, before and after the interview. There will be lulls in the interview session where med students do a Q&A and preface that by saying none of this goes back to the adcoms. That's a lie. You'll also be suited for the UCI white coat during the interview, so make sure, if you're wearing an overcoat with a suit, that you're wearing something appropriate underneath.

Thanks again for the help. The one biggest issue I have is that Irvine's research website and information online is truly awful.. can't find jack about a lot of research, and faculty profiles are not up to date.

It's weird that I got II at a few top 20 programs but none from here. And I seriously like this school too! So frustrating!

I mean, location wise, Irvine is pretty great. Eastern Asian food galore, if that's your thing. Proximity to Newport Beach. Socal sunny weather. A University Town Center with Cali favorite stores (Chipotle, Chick fil A, In-N-out, and a new Target is coming in I believe).

But in terms of the clinical program, early clinical exposure through preceptorships in MS1 (though you can drive as far as 40 miles to get to where you need to go...that 405N traffic sucks). Huge research programs. The SOM is right next to a bunch of research facilities (Beckman Laser Institute, etc.), not counting the ones you can literally directly walk to on the undergrad side of campus across a bridge. If you're doing the host program or attending the dinner before your interview, that's a good chance to know more about the school too.

As for tips, review your app and make sure it's consistent with what you say. Be polite to everyone, before and after the interview. There will be lulls in the interview session where med students do a Q&A and preface that by saying none of this goes back to the adcoms. That's a lie. You'll also be suited for the UCI white coat during the interview, so make sure, if you're wearing an overcoat with a suit, that you're wearing something appropriate underneath.

I have to admit, getting fitted for white coats was kind of unsettling. It's like they wanted to get our hopes up or something...but maybe that's just me.

My student interviewer had a very similar background as I did so we found a lot to talk about. My faculty interviewer and I had literally nothing in common (but I heard from other interviewees that they were matched with faculty who were doing research in a similar field and/or had some connection with their activities so maybe I was the odd one out) but it was still a pretty chill and pleasant (albeit a little awkward) experience.

I have to admit, getting fitted for white coats was kind of unsettling. It's like they wanted to get our hopes up or something...but maybe that's just me.

My student interviewer had a very similar background as I did so we found a lot to talk about. My faculty interviewer and I had literally nothing in common (but I heard from other interviewees that they were matched with faculty who were doing research in a similar field and/or had some connection with their activities so maybe I was the odd one out) but it was still a pretty chill and pleasant (albeit a little awkward) experience.

What kind of questions were you asked?

What kind of questions were you asked?

Mostly stuff about my application, with why medicine, extracurriculars, hobbies and such. Interview is semi-open; interviewers have your entire application stripped of grades (the dean explained if you're granted an II, grades aren't really a factor at this point). I believe each interviewer has a set of questions they're supposed to hit (my interviewers glanced quickly at a list maybe once or twice to make sure they didn't miss anything) but really, it's more of a casual sit-down more than anything; I got a lot of freedom in directing the conversation, which I appreciated.

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I applied to all the UCs and this is the only one I haven't received one from :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I applied to all the UCs and this is the only one I haven't received one from :shrug:
I applied to all UCs. Got a secondary from Irvine. Got one from SF last year. OOS. Still waiting on any other UCs but doubt I'll be getting any.

Mostly stuff about my application, with why medicine, extracurriculars, hobbies and such. Interview is semi-open; interviewers have your entire application stripped of grades (the dean explained if you're granted an II, grades aren't really a factor at this point). I believe each interviewer has a set of questions they're supposed to hit (my interviewers glanced quickly at a list maybe once or twice to make sure they didn't miss anything) but really, it's more of a casual sit-down more than anything; I got a lot of freedom in directing the conversation, which I appreciated.

Any medical ethics/health care policy questions?

Has anyone sent an update after they submitted their secondary? Can I send it as an email through the application site?

Rejection today via email. I'm not surprised though, I accidentally forgot to finish my thoughts on one of the prompts!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejection today via email. I'm not surprised though, I accidentally forgot to finish my thoughts on one of the prompts!

Dammmmm complete? IS? URM??? Sorry for hella questions, I've gone full neurotic

Dammmmm complete? IS? URM??? Sorry for hella questions, I've gone full neurotic

Both and have interviews at other state schools. Probably wouldn't have been a good fit for me anyway. Good luck all!