2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
UCLA Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UCLA? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!

Incoming MS1 here. I'll be around to answer any questions you may have about the app process and (as I get acclimated) the school to the best of my ability! Good luck all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dream school right here, let's do this guys :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

Incoming MS1 here. I'll be around to answer any questions you may have about the app process and (as I get acclimated) the school to the best of my ability! Good luck all!
Seconding this as an incoming MS1! Feel free to tag me here or send a PM :) And best wishes, so excited to watch this app cycle take off for all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
what dates did you get secondaries / interview invites / acceptance?

I got my secondary early August, submitted by mid-August-- was invited to interview in October, interviewed in December and was accepted in March. I don't know if that's necessarily helpful to know, as everyone's timeline will be different. Try to focus on making sure your application is the best it can be, and submit everything in a timely manner (but not at the expense of quality)!

For me it was late July, submitted early august, Invited to interview early/mid september, Interviewed late september, accepted early February. The wait suuuuuuuuucked!

I got my secondary early August, submitted by mid-August-- was invited to interview in October, interviewed in December and was accepted in March. I don't know if that's necessarily helpful to know, as everyone's timeline will be different. Try to focus on making sure your application is the best it can be, and submit everything in a timely manner (but not at the expense of quality)!

Could not agree more! I know people who didn't interview till late Jan/early February and ultimately got accepted. My advice is to try not to obsess about the timeline of others as it will drive you crazy.

Reactions: 1 users

For me it was late July, submitted early august, Invited to interview early/mid september, Interviewed late september, accepted early February. The wait suuuuuuuuucked!

Could not agree more! I know people who didn't interview till late Jan/early February and ultimately got accepted. My advice is to try not to obsess about the timeline of others as it will drive you crazy.

Thanks for the advice guys - Geffen has been the absolute dream since forever, I'm actually so excited to get this process going. Cheers to checking back in this thread if (WHEN? :rolleyes:) I get a secondary!

Joining the ride. Hopefully I get a decent enough MCAT score to add this school to my list.

Hi guys! Incoming student here as well :)
Just to add to the timeline information, I received my primary soon after verification in July, was complete with my committee letter mid September, got my II in October, interviewed in December, and waited all the way till the last day of May for an acceptance! Don't let the timeline get you down, stay optimistic till the end!

I also applied as disadvantaged, so I can help with questions about that!

Reactions: 4 users
Joining the ride. Hopefully I get a decent enough MCAT score to add this school to my list.

I wouldn't worry too much about scores; we're not a school where stats are the be all and end all in our admissions process. It was actually mentioned a couple years ago during my Second Look that the initial part of the review is numbers-blind (which makes it very time-consuming, as you can imagine).

I haven't been around these pre-allo boards for a long time and I'm probably completely out of touch with the admission process... but let me tell you guys I was just reminiscing with some classmates and we loved our time at UCLA. As far as I know, the faculty is mostly the same (I keep in touch with a lot of them) and it's a truly incredible group. Anybody who picks UCLA is in for a great experience. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about scores; we're not a school where stats are the be all and end all in our admissions process. It was actually mentioned a couple years ago during my Second Look that the initial part of the review is numbers-blind (which makes it very time-consuming, as you can imagine).
Cool. That is good to know.

I took the brand new MCAT the first weekend it was available in April 2015 for the financial perks (I'm a low-income student). On the MSAR it says that the oldest MCAT considered by UCLA is August 2015. Is there any chance I can convince them to look at my app anyway, or is August 2015 a hard cutoff?

UCLA website says they will request 3 letters of rec. if they would like them from you. I assigned 3 letters already on my verified primary. is this good or bad? what are their letter of rec requirements (science, nonscience, clinical)?

UCLA website says they will request 3 letters of rec. if they would like them from you. I assigned 3 letters already on my verified primary. is this good or bad? what are their letter of rec requirements (science, nonscience, clinical)?

Their website and MSAR page doesn't state a letter requirement. They'll probably do what other schools do and "request your LOEs". If they're already on AMCAS then you have nothing to worry about because they'll retrieve them off of your primary application.

So for the Pre Requisites UCLA says they want 2 years of chem to include G-Chem O-chem and quantitative analysis. Do they actually want the class quantitative analysis or is it cool if we have 2 years of g-chem and ochem?

I took the brand new MCAT the first weekend it was available in April 2015 for the financial perks (I'm a low-income student). On the MSAR it says that the oldest MCAT considered by UCLA is August 2015. Is there any chance I can convince them to look at my app anyway, or is August 2015 a hard cutoff?

I would think it's a hard cutoff but I am unsure. Call them and ask just in case

So for the Pre Requisites UCLA says they want 2 years of chem to include G-Chem O-chem and quantitative analysis. Do they actually want the class quantitative analysis or is it cool if we have 2 years of g-chem and ochem?

I did not take a class called "quantitative analysis" I just had Ochem Gchem and Biochem.

Another incoming MS1 here that would like to help out any way possible. My app was submitted during late sept., received a secondary 5 days later and submitted within 2 days. I was invited to interview early November-earliest date was early Jan. Accepted late march.

Last edited:
Their website and MSAR page doesn't state a letter requirement. They'll probably do what other schools do and "request your LOEs". If they're already on AMCAS then you have nothing to worry about because they'll retrieve them off of your primary application.
MSAR says 3-5 letters

actually you might have mis read it

"- Chemistry - Two years of college chemistry to include the study of inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis and organic chemistry. (lab)"

You might consider Gen Chem 1 to be "inorganic chemistry" and Gen Chem 2 to be "quantitative analysis." Some schools (like NC State for instance) even call their gen chem by these names.

but all in all, 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of orgo fulfils their req

actually you might have mis read it

"- Chemistry - Two years of college chemistry to include the study of inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis and organic chemistry. (lab)"

You might consider Gen Chem 1 to be "inorganic chemistry" and Gen Chem 2 to be "quantitative analysis." Some schools (like NC State for instance) even call their gen chem by these names.

but all in all, 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of orgo fulfils their req
cool thanks, So if I did 2 semesters of calculus i will not need statistics as well?

cool thanks, So if I did 2 semesters of calculus i will not need statistics as well?
slightly less clear, but his is from their website

• Mathematics and Statistics: This might include biomathematics, computer science, matrix algebra
oh and this is from MSAR

- Mathematics - One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics.

I just noticed that their website is brand new updated, but not consistent with MSAR.... this is somewhat confusing. for instance, they say in bold on their website (updated this year) that they DO accept AP credit, but they never did before and MSAR says they don't..... so idk why there is conflicting info

Question about secondaries!

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 char)

I've had several research projects over the years. Would it be recommended that I talk about my journey into research itself (as a general thing), or a certain project?

Question about secondaries!

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 char)

I've had several research projects over the years. Would it be recommended that I talk about my journey into research itself (as a general thing), or a certain project?

I would stick to what it is asking you and give your most scholarly project. Pick the one that had the largest impact on you.

I would stick to what it is asking you and give your most scholarly project. Pick the one that had the largest impact on you.
Thanks.

Are some of the questions optional?
For the question: What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

I haven't gotten any notable awards.. just your standard latin award, dean's awards, etc.. Should I just put N/A?

Thanks.

Are some of the questions optional?
For the question: What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

I haven't gotten any notable awards.. just your standard latin award, dean's awards, etc.. Should I just put N/A?

I was in a similar situation. I just put down my deans list awards and described why it was important.

I heard that the MSAR stats are a bit low due to the special programs UCLA has. Could anyone provide a better idea of what range someone from OOS should have to apply? I have a 517, 3.6/3.4gpa and I'm wondering if its a waste of money to apply

I heard that the MSAR stats are a bit low due to the special programs UCLA has. Could anyone provide a better idea of what range someone from OOS should have to apply? I have a 517, 3.6/3.4gpa and I'm wondering if its a waste of money to apply

those programs are only 1/5th the size of the whole class. So you do the math if the stats could possibly rise above yours

GPA may be too low. If you are URM I would apply 100%, but honestly if you are not go ahead and shoot them an app. Worth the money so you never think "what if?"

Trying to prewrite the secondary! A couple questions.

For the question:

"Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life."

I'm trying to decide between two things - travel, or music. Both of them are very important to me but are on-and-off activities. Travel would be going to different countries, studying abroad, etc, and tie in the "cultural competence" and "adapting to new environments" angle as best I can. For music I would talk about playing guitar as a hobby and my interest in discovering new types of music, although I haven't performed in front of an audience since high school. I haven't talked about either of these elsewhere on my application.

And then for the question:

"What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?"

Leadership/entrepreneurship seems kind of different from creativity. If they care more about the former I could go with piloting a scribe program in 2 clinics, working with providers who had never worked with a scribe before. I have "scribe trainer" as a leadership activity on my primary, but didn't go into detail about this aspect of it (piloting a new program). If they care more about creativity I could talk about music here (assuming I didn't put it for the above question).

Any thoughts on what sounds best? I find it hard to know what they're looking for.

I can't really answer either of those for you. Go with what you feel is geniunely most important to you, not what you think they want to hear.

I would apply, especially if this is a school that you can see yourself coming to in the future. Your stats are solid, besides UCLA is not a "stats > all" type of school, they are more interested in what you could bring to the entering class. And as far as the special programs, I'm assuming you mean Charles Drew? They take 24ish students for regular MD and they are very much after an individual who demonstrates a strong desire to serve underserved areas.

GPA may be too low. If you are URM I would apply 100%, but honestly if you are not go ahead and shoot them an app. Worth the money so you never think "what if?"

How is it too low? Im curious because none of the msar data supports your statement.

How is it too low? Im curious because none of the msar data supports your statement.
for OOS students, you need to be way ahead of the curve. With CDU factored into UCLA median mcat MSAR shows a 3.72

for OOS students, you need to be way ahead of the curve. With CDU factored into UCLA median mcat MSAR shows a 3.72

and their 10th percentiles are 3.38 and 3.2.

CDU is a fifth the size of the overall class size. I mean you cant just say "oh they have people factored in so the stats are way higher"

and their 10th percentiles are 3.38 and 3.2.

CDU is a fifth the size of the overall class size. I mean you cant just say "oh they have people factored in so the stats are way higher"
OOS still needs to be ahead of the curve, but yeah who cares,apply. No need to get upset. Wish u the best of luck

Last edited:
Should I bother applying? I'm from Illinois, URM (Mexican), student athlete, lots of different volunteering (medical and non), research presentations did a medical missions trip, 3.79cGPA, 3.74sGPA, 500 MCAT.

Should I bother applying? I'm from Illinois, URM (Mexican), student athlete, lots of different volunteering (medical and non), research presentations did a medical missions trip, 3.79cGPA, 3.74sGPA, 500 MCAT.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit my friend. Take a shot at it.

To anyone considering applying: We are one of the few schools that screens heavily before sending secondary applications, so don't worry, we won't waste your time or money on secondary essays and fees unless we're seriously interested in you. So I'd encourage anyone interested in us to just go ahead and apply without worrying about numbers, it's very low-risk and we aren't making any money off of you (only AAMC does haha).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! Applying from a different country, any advice? Thank you!

Ps. Looking forward to having classmates from this thread! :)

Are you referring to the screening process? I'm a bit confused about that, so maybe someone could help. Does UCLA (or any of the UC's) look at your application before it is verified? For example, would it be possible to receive a secondary before your primary is verified? By going off of Radiata20's post, it sounds like UCLA does not look at MCAT/GPA when deciding to send secondaries, but that would have to happen only after verification, right?

Are you referring to the screening process? I'm a bit confused about that, so maybe someone could help. Does UCLA (or any of the UC's) look at your application before it is verified? For example, would it be possible to receive a secondary before your primary is verified? By going off of Radiata20's post, it sounds like UCLA does not look at MCAT/GPA when deciding to send secondaries, but that would have to happen only after verification, right?

No school can LOOK at your app before it's verified as it won't be transmitted until then. Schools can be alerted that you've applied BEFORE verification and some send an automatic secondary.

As for the second part, I hear that UCLA is one of the schools that DOES screen for secondaries. You can search this site for more info. Per Dean Hall, when it comes to disadvantaged apps, GPA/MCAT are not disclosed until after the interview (should the rest of your interview warrant an interview).

I hope that helped some.

Does anyone know when we can designate that we want to apply PRIME?