2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who got a secondary and checked the MD/graduate degree on the primary NOT get the PRIME secondary? Is there PRIME screening involved in including the PRIME secondary with the regular secondary or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who got a secondary and checked the MD/graduate degree on the primary NOT get the PRIME secondary? Is there PRIME screening involved in including the PRIME secondary with the regular secondary or not?

When they send it to you it doesn't say "PRIME secondary" in the email or anything like that, there's just an extra set of questions once you open the secondary. Otherwise everything is the same. I have no idea if there is screening involved in who receives it, but I kind of doubt it?

This is off topic, but how about the UCLA vs. Texas A&M game on Sunday?! What a comeback! With a comeback like that, it gives me hope to get an interview here!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the office about questions I posted earlier - use the debt you had WHEN you graduated, even if you paid it off (note somewhere that you paid it off). You can count high school Spanish if you feel competent (I'm iffy on this - I had three years of Spanish, but my Italian has screwed up my Spanish and now I use a mix of the two). If you've taken any time off from school, explain in the space asking about it - even if you are currently in a post-bac program. Hope that helps! I'm home b/c of the hurricane, so I'm going to knock this out today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Any updates on the call?

They didn't answer when I called but they did answer my email. They confirmed what was said in this thread -- to change the program selection in AMCAS and to simply indicate in the PRIME Supplement text boxes that you're applying to only the MD program.

Reactions: 1 users
Is UCLA receptive to in the area e-mails?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, do they want what we currently owe or how much we owed when we graduated? I paid al $75k off. But that was a long ordeal.

Do you guys think that car loans and mortgages count towards consumer debt? Also, what is the purpose of this section?

Do you guys think that car loans and mortgages count towards consumer debt? Also, what is the purpose of this section?

Hmmm... The first thing I thought of was credit cards. I feel like a car loan also falls under that. Not sure on mortgage - I mean, it is a type of consumer debt, but it's more like housing (and in many places your mortgage payment may be similar to rent), so that may be a gray area.

I'm not sure about the purpose of this section. I had and still have no consumer debt (except a mortgage now), but my student loans were beyond ridiculous for undergrad. I'm hoping that at least shows them what I was up against when I graduated.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Trying to quickly finish the secondary over here +pissed+....

Just wondering if it's a bad idea if your most meaningful activities don't match up with those on your primary. A couple of mine are work experiences as well so I rather now right about them twice.

Also, would y'all consider a volunteer teaching position in an underserved school to be an "academic activity?" I did more than just teach if that helps. I also volunteered at their events.

Trying to quickly finish the secondary over here +pissed+....

Just wondering if it's a bad idea if your most meaningful activities don't match up with those on your primary. A couple of mine are work experiences as well so I rather now right about them twice.

Also, would y'all consider a volunteer teaching position in an underserved school to be an "academic activity?" I did more than just teach if that helps. I also volunteered at their events.

I interpreted academic activity to mean something to do with your own school work or research - not necessarily teaching others. So if you want to use it for a volunteer/non-academic activity you are probably fine! But maybe email to check?

I interpreted academic activity to mean something to do with your own school work or research - not necessarily teaching others. So if you want to use it for a volunteer/non-academic activity you are probably fine! But maybe email to check?

Thought the same thing, especially because teaching was only part of the activity. Thanks!

Does anyone know if they ask for tax information after you fill out the information on disadvantaged and how much your parents make? I don't want to be wrong

Submitted :D

SECONDARY HELL IS OVER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:banana:

Reactions: 3 users
Have they started sending out interview invitations yet?

Interviews start in two weeks so they should start sending our requests. Hearing from classmates Charles drew on the other hand has started.

Do u know if they're gonna delay interviews since they are already delayed from the secondaries?
I mean. They already have delayed interviews.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do u know if they're gonna delay interviews since they are already delayed from the secondaries?
I dont sorry, don't be in a rush. I didn't hear back for a few weeks after my secondary and over a month after my interview.

for the hours worked section for the work experiences, are you guys estimating the total amount you will work if entering your gap year job? or just how many hours you worked so far?

for the hours worked section for the work experiences, are you guys estimating the total amount you will work if entering your gap year job? or just how many hours you worked so far?

I did how many hours I worked till now, but I think I mentioned I am working full time, and until when I expect to stop.

Thanks so much for replying !:) Very useful, I was driving my parent's nuts with all this tax info!

I don't see any questions asking about taxes in the secondary. I'm trying to figure out if I'm skipping over a section or if only certain applicants get asked to provide tax info?

I don't see any questions asking about taxes in the secondary. I'm trying to figure out if I'm skipping over a section or if only certain applicants get asked to provide tax info?
Did you apply as disadvantaged?

Did you apply as disadvantaged?
Hmm. So if you apply as disadvantaged you get a parent income and consumer debt question?

I didn't apply disadvantaged and I got those. However I was urm and SES designated.

Hmm. So if you apply as disadvantaged you get a parent income and consumer debt question?

I didn't apply disadvantaged and I got those. However I was urm and SES designated.

To be honest I am unsure. I was just to see if whether applying as disadvantaged makes a difference. Because there they ask whether or not you want to continue being evaluated as disadvantaged

With the work experience, did most people list things with bullet points like in a resume? Or describe the job like in an essay? For some reason I originally thought it was 4000 characters to describe my total work experience and now I'm realizing that's what I get for each job. I'm tempted to copy and paste my resume in to save time.

With the work experience, did most people list things with bullet points like in a resume? Or describe the job like in an essay? For some reason I originally thought it was 4000 characters to describe my total work experience and now I'm realizing that's what I get for each job. I'm tempted to copy and paste my resume in to save time.
I put in literally two sentences for both. I am kinda regretting writing such short things, but in my head, I just assumed that they forgot to fix the character limit for this section lol.

I put in literally two sentences for both. I am kinda regretting writing such short things, but in my head, I just assumed that they forgot to fix the character limit for this section lol.

You're probably right! I should assume something along those lines. I've owned a photography business for over nine years, which has taught me a lot. And I worked as an engineer for eleven years, which also taught me a lot. I'm thinking I may use a bit more space for both of those entries, then talk briefly about all of the side jobs I've had. I didn't even use 4000 characters for the essays requesting my entire work history, so I think it's a bit overkill.

I actually just copy pasted my AMCAS for the most part.

I actually just copy pasted my AMCAS for the most part.

That would be nice! I have just a few extra jobs that I didn't list on AMCAS, but I wasn't sure if it looked bad to repeat what was already on the application.

That would be nice! I have just a few extra jobs that I didn't list on AMCAS, but I wasn't sure if it looked bad to repeat what was already on the application.
I repeated jobs and added others I did not have room to put on the primary but who knows lol

I repeated jobs and added others I did not have room to put on the primary but who knows lol

Did you use the same AMCAS descriptions for jobs previously listed? Or did you write something new?

Did you use the same AMCAS descriptions for jobs previously listed? Or did you write something new?
I went more in depth about what I learned on the primary whereas more emphasis was placed on the description on the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
I went more in depth about what I learned on the primary whereas more emphasis was placed on the description on the secondary.

Awesome, thanks. I talked about what I learned on the primary as well. Although I felt like I might not have had enough time to go into detail on my photography job. But I am wondering if I should just list everything in bullet points on the secondary. Decisions, decisions. I still have power and internet, so I'd love to finish this!

SUBMITTED! ONE MORE SECONDARY LEFT OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

Reactions: 5 users
Last secondary submitted! Let the waiting begin :whistle:

COMPLETE. I'm hoping to trade hurricanes for earthquakes next year. Here goes!

Reactions: 4 users
What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 characters)

Do they want us to list the hours/dates for one single project or our research in general. Spent a year working on a thesis, but I have no clue how many hours I spent working solely on that...

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 characters)

Do they want us to list the hours/dates for one single project or our research in general. Spent a year working on a thesis, but I have no clue how many hours I spent working solely on that...

I just put the title, location, adviser, & the estimated dates & hours for the one project I thought was the most scholarly. I also had enough room to put 1 sentence of description & how I estimated those hours in parenthesis.

Also, I worked on a few projects in one lab, so I just included all those hours & only put the title of my final thesis down. The other projects/presentations are listed on AMCAS so if they want to see it they can.

Does anyone known if ucla looks at LOTs before sending out secondaries? I wanna make sure that I don't have a bum letter bc I just got my 2nd rejection this cycle with no IIs. I see people around here with my LM already have like 4 to 6 IIs so I'm starting to get kinda scared.

Does anyone known if ucla looks at LOTs before sending out secondaries? I wanna make sure that I don't have a bum letter bc I just got my 2nd rejection this cycle with no IIs. I see people around here with my LM already have like 4 to 6 IIs so I'm starting to get kinda scared.

They definitely don't need them for the screening, I'm sure of that. Received a secondary the day my updated scores came in, with no letters uploaded. Though, they might look at them if they are available to them. Best to call the admissions office to make sure.
Keep your chin up! It's still pretty early in the cycle.

literally same, I do not think that any of my recs would be bad, I have a good relationship with all of my writers at least I think, and I hope that they would have been professional enough to just say no if they did not think they could write a good one. But your thought has crossed my mind. Fingers crossed that some good news comes soon for both of us!

literally same, I do not think that any of my recs would be bad, I have a good relationship with all of my writers at least I think, and I hope that they would have been professional enough to just say no if they did not think they could write a good one. But your thought has crossed my mind. Fingers crossed that some good news comes soon for both of us!
Yeah i know what you mean. I cant imagine any of my writers writing anything bad but this process has a way of making your mind wander to extremes. But best not to dwell and over think these things.

Best of luck to all!