2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any MSTP applicants having difficulty saving their research experience entries? I keep getting error messages saying I haven't entered information that I definately have.

Members don't see this ad.

Any MSTP applicants having difficulty saving their research experience entries? I keep getting error messages saying I haven't entered information that I definately have.

Nvm, figured it out: don't enter long titles for the lab name.

For the "most important non-academic activity" I'm writing about my outreach job at a cancer center. Would it be bad if I write something similar to what I wrote on my amcas app for my most valuable experience?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For the "most important non-academic activity" I'm writing about my outreach job at a cancer center. Would it be bad if I write something similar to what I wrote on my amcas app for my most valuable experience?

I don't think that's a problem, as long as you don't use the same wording and add something new in.

Reactions: 1 user
The silence is deafening.....

Reactions: 6 users
Looking at last year's Geffen thread it seems as though they started sending out their first IIs at around early September/nowish. I do hope they do swift merciful rejections as well though :/

Reactions: 3 users
can everyone see the prime supplement tab on their secondary? or this is only available to those who selected combined md/masters program? I no longer wish to apply to UCLA PRIME.

AMCAS verified 8/28, haven't heard anything yet... Any clue how long the wait is? Thanks!

AMCAS verified 8/28, haven't heard anything yet... Any clue how long the wait is? Thanks!
For reference, I was AMCAS verified 6/8 and I did not receive their secondary until 8/29 lol. So I am not expecting quickness with their IIs.

Is Spanish a requirement? I can't find it anywhere on the website. I wasn't allowed to take Spanish in college because I had taken it in high school. So I have to mark no on the secondary. Will this kill my chances? :(

Is Spanish a requirement? I can't find it anywhere on the website. I wasn't allowed to take Spanish in college because I had taken it in high school. So I have to mark no on the secondary. Will this kill my chances? :(

It's not a requirement and you can mark yes if you had it in high school

Also took some Spanish in HS, but only one course in college. How would they be able to verify HS Spanish? I doubt they ask for high school transcripts. Or do they?

Members don't see this ad :)

Also took some Spanish in HS, but only one course in college. How would they be able to verify HS Spanish? I doubt they ask for high school transcripts. Or do they?

But when I read the Competencies page it says this: "We recommend applicants demonstrate the following competencies through the successful completion of the suggested college-level course work." The terms "college-level" is what is throwing me off. However, Spanish isn't mentioned on this page.

I asked in an email and they replied that you can check it if you feel competent in approximately one year of Spanish. I felt iffy, but I've had quite a few years, so I went with "yes." I also have some Italian as well, but that can both help and hurt my Spanish. I'm thinking they may just ask you some questions in Spanish at the interview. They also said it's a recommendation, not requirement. I feel a little more comfortable with my response since I have an email trail explaining my experience and asking for their recommendations. So I guess it's up to what you think?

Reactions: 1 users
I asked in an email and they replied that you can check it if you feel competent in approximately one year of Spanish. I felt iffy, but I've had quite a few years, so I went with "yes." I also have some Italian as well, but that can both help and hurt my Spanish. I'm thinking they may just ask you some questions in Spanish at the interview. They also said it's a recommendation, not requirement. I feel a little more comfortable with my response since I have an email trail explaining my experience and asking for their recommendations. So I guess it's up to what you think?

Thank you for sharing that :) I am marking yes, because I feel I understand the basics.

I just received my secondary. Verified 8/31. I'm kind of surprised since I almost gave up when I learned that it's recommended to have US coursework and I don't have any. I didn't even prewrite it. I guess I gave up too soon! I'm finishing this tonight!

Reactions: 2 users
Mind sharing your stats?
Not the best. 3.6 GPA 507 MCAT, lots of research/community service. And I'm in a master's program in medical sciences right now to help the good ole GPA.
For those talking about Spanish, if you took it in HS, mark it as YES on the competency. Then, make a free account on like Duolingo to brush up. Now, if they ask you about it since it's not on your college transcript, you can at least be somewhat conversational.

Reactions: 3 users

Not the best. 3.6 GPA 507 MCAT, lots of research/community service. And I'm in a master's program in medical sciences right now to help the good ole GPA.
For those talking about Spanish, if you took it in HS, mark it as YES on the competency. Then, make a free account on like Duolingo to brush up. Now, if they ask you about it since it's not on your college transcript, you can at least be somewhat conversational.

I took up to Spanish III in high school but marked no in my secondary because I saw "college-level". If I already submitted my secondary, do you think it's worth it to email them about this?

I took up to Spanish III in high school but marked no in my secondary because I saw "college-level". If I already submitted my secondary, do you think it's worth it to email them about this?

Where does it say "college-level?" I'm just seeing "completed one or more years."

Where does it say "college-level?" I'm just seeing "completed one or more years."

On the competencies page: Competencies - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA

"We recommend applicants demonstrate the following competencies through the successful completion of the suggested college-level course work."

Even though it's not explicitly listed on this page, I assumed they meant Spanish too since every other subject on the secondary was listed and they don't have access to HS transcripts.

On the competencies page: Competencies - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA

"We recommend applicants demonstrate the following competencies through the successful completion of the suggested college-level course work."

Even though it's not explicitly listed on this page, I assumed they meant Spanish too since every other subject on the secondary was listed and they don't have access to HS transcripts.

This is why I emailed - the recommended competencies on the website (which does say college level) didn't really match the secondary. (Which was much less specific). They said you can mark it if you feel competent. It doesn't necessarily mean you had to take it in college. This probably is because of AP credit and other new credits they are accepting.

I can't speak Spanish and didn't take it in high school or college, am I screwed?

Anyone else worried about their stats competency... Ive never taken a stats class hopefully this doesn't detriment my app :'(

Anyone else worried about their stats competency... Ive never taken a stats class hopefully this doesn't detriment my app :'(

I haven't either :( but if I have to take it before I matriculate then I will have no problem with that.

WHEN WILL IIs COME

52675436.jpg

Reactions: 13 users

Thanks for sharing!

This is why I emailed - the recommended competencies on the website (which does say college level) didn't really match the secondary. (Which was much less specific). They said you can mark it if you feel competent. It doesn't necessarily mean you had to take it in college. This probably is because of AP credit and other new credits they are accepting.

Right, I was confused about that too. Spanish was not listed there. When I called I was told to mark it if I had any type of exposure to Spanish for at least a year. Nothing about college classes or being fluent. I mean, how much can you really learn in one year, or remember from high school? I don't think it's such a big deal.

Hmmm just received a secondary...on a Saturday lol. Interesting...

If they invite you for interview, will they be the one to schedule it or will you be the one to choose the date? And how long in advance do they send an invitation before the actual interview? Like if they send an invitation now, will your interview be in a month or so?

I just received my secondary. Verified 8/31. I'm kind of surprised since I almost gave up when I learned that it's recommended to have US coursework and I don't have any. I didn't even prewrite it. I guess I gave up too soon! I'm finishing this tonight!

Congratz on the secondary!!! :)

The secondary asks to list all major paid work experience, do they literally want the answer in listed form with responsibilities and stuff? Like a resume? Or should I go with the essay approach

The secondary asks to list all major paid work experience, do they literally want the answer in listed form with responsibilities and stuff? Like a resume? Or should I go with the essay approach
You enter each position separately, with company name, hours, start and end dates. I copied and pasted in my resume description for each one. You could write essay style too, just be aware that you get 4000 characters for *each* position; writing a single narrative for all jobs wouldn't fit the format.

Reactions: 2 users
I know Spanish but I have never taken a course on it (my writing and reading is pretty good as well)....I should still mark NO right?

I know Spanish but I have never taken a course on it (my writing and reading is pretty good as well)....I should still mark NO right?
I marked NO too, but I am on the fence about whether I made the right choice. Too bad there's not room in the secondary to be more fine-grained about it, right?

Last edited:

I'd contact admissions. I counted my three years of high school Spanish based on their recommendation, and I'm brushing up now

Do they send out pre secondary rejections if you are screened?

Do they send out pre secondary rejections if you are screened?

Not sure about that, but in my email exchange with them yesterday they said they send out secondaries from now until December.

Maybe a stupid question, but does UCLA send complete e-mails?

I didn't get a complete email, just a secondary invite.

Hmm -- I mean after submitting your secondary. When I submitted, I got an e-mail confirmation that was "Acknowledgment of Supplemental Submit" but nothing since. A lot of schools send both an email acknowledging "submission" and an e-mail acknowledging that your file is complete.

Has anyone gotten a complete e-mail (the second)?

Hmm -- I mean after submitting your secondary. When I submitted, I got an e-mail confirmation that was "Acknowledgment of Supplemental Submit" but nothing since. A lot of schools send both an email acknowledging "submission" and an e-mail acknowledging that your file is complete.

Nope, but my portal showed up as complete the day after I submitted.

I don't think UCLA does complete emails, unless I've missed seeing them here -- I never got one.

Mine just shows complete in portal too. No e-mail