2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea what they screen prior to sending the secondary?
Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile
Honestly I have no clue, the turnaround on my app time makes me feel like it could be numbers but your guess is as good as mine

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I have no clue, the turnaround on my app time makes me feel like it could be numbers but your guess is as good as mine

From what I understand, there is a certain percentage of people that get an "automatic" secondary based on their high stats (I'm not sure what the cutoff is), while some people will receive secondaries after a human has looked at the application, which is why there is a delay. In any case, there doesn't seem to be an auto-reject at this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew post-II after realizing I can't swing two flights out to California. :( Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Has there been a wave of II's since the high stats applicants got them? Too lazy to read all the pages of this thread lol

Has there been a wave of II's since the high stats applicants got them? Too lazy to read all the pages of this thread lol

I don't think so, but I am not certain.

I sent in my primary at the beginning of June and haven't received a secondary. Can we assume that it is a silent rejection from this school?

I sent in my primary at the beginning of June and haven't received a secondary. Can we assume that it is a silent rejection from this school?

I submitted a primary in early October and received the secondary a week later. My guess would be yes, but anything can happen.

There will probably be some more secondary waves on the way.

1. Does UCLA accept updates or letters of interest during the screening process (pre-secondary)

2. Is the "check your status" portal supposed to work before you get a secondary? Mine always says check back later that I can't login. Wasn't sure if I should email and ask about it.

Thanks!!

1. Does UCLA accept updates or letters of interest during the screening process (pre-secondary)

2. Is the "check your status" portal supposed to work before you get a secondary? Mine always says check back later that I can't login. Wasn't sure if I should email and ask about it.

Thanks!!

1) Don’t know about pre-secondary, but you can upload documents to the portal post-secondary. Maybe call and ask?

2) They actually switched over to using that amp portal that a lot of other schools use, so you can’t use that check your status page anymore. You’ll get access to the portal once you get a secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Don’t know about pre-secondary, but you can upload documents to the portal post-secondary. Maybe call and ask?

2) They actually switched over to using that amp portal that a lot of other schools use, so you can’t use that check your status page anymore. You’ll get access to the portal once you get a secondary.

Thanks so much!! Waiting for a secondary is brutal lol. I tried calling various times but it always goes to voicemail. Maybe I'll try a different office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to the office yesterday. Applications are being continually reviewed for secondaries. They will be sent through December via email.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea what % of completed secondaries receive interviews?

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

That would just be more or less the same number of interviews reported on MSAR which is 703. If we assume that only half of applicants receive interviews then that would mean that after secondary submissions chances of receiving and interview are between 12%-15%

Has anyone received any II recently???

That would just be more or less the same number of interviews reported on MSAR which is 703. If we assume that only half of applicants receive interviews then that would mean that after secondary submissions chances of receiving and interview are between 12%-15%
Issue with that number is I'm pretty sure UCLA's MSAR page includes the Charles Drew School, not just David Geffen. Hence the slightly higher enrollment and the lower average mcat for a school of this caliber. I believe Charles Drew has roughly 30 matriculants but I could be wrong.

Issue with that number is I'm pretty sure UCLA's MSAR page includes the Charles Drew School, not just David Geffen. Hence the slightly higher enrollment and the lower average mcat for a school of this caliber. I believe Charles Drew has roughly 30 matriculants but I could be wrong.

True. post secondary interview rate is probably closer to 10%. I believe Drew is only 24 spots, but I'm not sure how many they interview (I will be interviewing at Drew in January ).

True. post secondary interview rate is probably closer to 10%. I believe Drew is only 24 spots, but I'm not sure how many they interview (I will be interviewing at Drew in January ).
Yeah I think it's about 130-135 for normal MD. There are 40-50 remaining spots, including Drew, PRIME, and MSTP, I believe, which make for an entering class of 175-180 approximately. I may be wrong, though

WOOO!!! I thought California was just a dream, but UCLA came through with an II!!!! OOS, Complete late-August.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Just got an II ! Had to read the email a couple times to believe it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
I think we're moving into the late August crowd folks, hold on to your hats! :pompous:

nice we're getting to reasonable levels now,
down from the LM80s a week ago xD

Reasonable LM and late august complete dates??

The moment of reckoning is coming upon us soon....

II just a couple of hours ago! 1° submitted 8/21, 2° received late august, submitted on labor day. LM 76, in-state ORM.

Was ready to count myself out but received an II today! Complete mid August

Reactions: 6 users