2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew acceptance. This was probably the hardest thing I’ve done all cycle. Good-luck everyone =).
76B1F96B-E946-424D-A331-280B006B1026.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Declined my acceptance offer

Reactions: 9 users
This application process has been complete ****. I went in being told I would definitely get into multiple top schools which hasn't been the case. I've just been bitter about this whole cycle.
It's ok it has been brutal for us all:( I was told the same thing since my scores were all 100th percentile, 4.0 GPA, all the shadowing/volunteering, work experience, etc. & still got barely any acceptances. Hope that brings you some consolation that a lot of us are on the same boat.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ok it has been brutal for us all:( I was told the same thing since my scores were all 100th percentile, 4.0 GPA, all the shadowing/volunteering, work experience, etc. & still got barely any acceptances. Hope that brings you some consolation that a lot of us are on the same boat.
I hate this cycle..

Reactions: 1 user
This application process has been complete ****. I went in being told I would definitely get into multiple top schools which hasn't been the case. I've just been bitter about this whole cycle.

I've also had an underwhelming cycle. I think that the best way to look at it is to consider two case scenarios:

1) You get into a bunch of Top-20s, and you realize that you have worked hard enough to make it to America's best schools, OR
2) You don't get into a bunch of Top-20s, and you realize that even though you have worked really hard, that there are other people even more motivated and hard working than you.

Although I would have liked the former, I find the latter more comforting because it gives me hope in the future of this profession--that there are just that many people even more committed to making healthcare better than I am.

Last edited:
I don’t care how “holistic” an adcom thinks it is this application will always favor the rich. I don’t think it’s because people work harder than me. Most of this comes down to dumb luck, numbers, and the misguided belief that you can truly get to know someone’s reasons to pursue medicine as a life style in just a 30min conversation or a speed dating MMI. Most of it is all fake and we should not delude ourselves otherwise.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t care how “holistic” an adcom thinks it is this application will always favor the rich. I don’t think it’s because people work harder than me. Most of this comes down to dumb luck, numbers, and the misguided belief that you can truly get to know someone’s reasons to pursue medicine as a life style in just a 30min conversation or a speed dating MMI. Most of it is all fake and we should not delude ourselves otherwise.
I hate MMI format. It tells nothing about an applicant. It would be more helpful if the interview process were more transparent.

I hate MMI format. It tells nothing about an applicant. It would be more helpful if the interview process were more transparent.
Whole heartedly agree

Watch him change his tune when he gets in

Reactions: 1 users
In their attempt to make things more standardized with an MMI, they've lost touch with the whole purpose of an interview - to get to know the sincerity and motivations of an applicant. The more you standardize something, the more it favors people who have the luxury/money/resources to prepare to systematically conquer it. People who apply to 30 to 40 schools, get expensive MCAT prep, and can afford to fly around for all these interviews are definitely at an advantage. I applied to 7 schools last year and drained my savings to apply to 14 this year and luckily finally got in. UCLA is my top choice and the only school I'm waiting to hear from. But this process has been so unpredictable. UC Davis interviewed me early two years in a row and said no twice. Not even a waitlist...

I would say just keep knocking on doors if you know this is what you want to do and you will eventually get into a program. I told myself that I just had to wait my turn.

Watch him change his tune when he gets in
I’d be grateful for a spot but I’m not going to walk around saying that this process is fair, equitable, or holistic by any means. It’s common sense that this process is stacked against people of low SES regardless of FAP which does nothing for nearly homeless students disowned by their parents because their income is still required.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This has been long and hard cycle. I feel like it will only get harder as they try to pull out ppl from WL with their god knows what dark holistic magic they pull out from their whereever LOL.. don't get your hopes up buds

I have to disagree..... at each station I brought in something about my experiences or life to answer the question. If you know how to tie in your life to the MMI you can show a lot of dimension about whom you are as a person. I actually disliked traditional interviews because it is so easy to generate an engineered response to most interview questions. I believe is harder for an interviewer to learn about an applicant this way especially is you have prepared some of your responses in advance. Just my 2 cents....

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems from past years that acceptances come out the Wednesday after the deadline and then another wave near the end of May. Crossing my fingers for Wednesday, May 3 :)

Crossing my fingers, too!! It's been my dream school for so long

So it seems from past years that acceptances come out the Wednesday after the deadline and then another wave near the end of May. Crossing my fingers for Wednesday, May 3 :)
This Wednesday is the 2nd.... tomorrow! :eek:

In their attempt to make things more standardized with an MMI, they've lost touch with the whole purpose of an interview - to get to know the sincerity and motivations of an applicant. The more you standardize something, the more it favors people who have the luxury/money/resources to prepare to systematically conquer it. People who apply to 30 to 40 schools, get expensive MCAT prep, and can afford to fly around for all these interviews are definitely at an advantage. I applied to 7 schools last year and drained my savings to apply to 14 this year and luckily finally got in. UCLA is my top choice and the only school I'm waiting to hear from. But this process has been so unpredictable. UC Davis interviewed me early two years in a row and said no twice. Not even a waitlist...

I would say just keep knocking on doors if you know this is what you want to do and you will eventually get into a program. I told myself that I just had to wait my turn.

You should read this: UC study finds performance on med school interviews linked to demographics

Glad someone’s actually trying to evaluate whether MMI is a good thing

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone withdrawing from the portal run into trouble with having multiple acceptances today? I had (very sadly, there goes my sunny paradise dreams) withdrawn last month and was told by my matriculating school that I was still holding an acceptance here. :confused:

Is this the calm before the storm?... The suspense is killing me :help:

Reactions: 4 users
Is this the calm before the storm?... The suspense is killing me :help:
someone I know called the office earlier today to ask about movement and got an unclear answer basically saying decisions will be coming out soon and that you can hear up until the beginning of class since they do not have a waitlist (pretty sure its just one giant waitlist but I'm not going to argue semantics). so basically sit tight and hope for the best.

someone I know called the office earlier today to ask about movement and got an unclear answer basically saying decisions will be coming out soon and that you can hear up until the beginning of class since they do not have a waitlist (pretty sure its just one giant waitlist but I'm not going to argue semantics). so basically sit tight and hope for the best.
I seriously do not get their crude methodology.

I seriously do not get their crude methodology.
I have a 30 day notice to give for housing, 2 weeks for work, and my current matriculating school starts in June. I hope we hear soon. It's too early to bother them, but by the end of May or early June I will have to call and ask my likelihood of acceptance. Does anyone know if Dean Hall or admissions is open to telling people their chances as it gets closer to July?

I personally don’t think they have any ways of telling :(! I know at least 1 student who got in in July

Hey guys!

Is there any information regarding the average indebtedness of students at UCLA? More specifically, for out of state students? And also, do any current students want to talk about the environment at UCLA? is it friendly, cut-throat? I only ask because I interviewed for the Charles Drew/UCLA program and was recently accepted, but I didn't really get to meet/see the UCLA DGSOM interviewees, so I just want a better picture before I make a potentially life-changing decision.

Hey guys!

Is there any information regarding the average indebtedness of students at UCLA? More specifically, for out of state students? And also, do any current students want to talk about the environment at UCLA? is it friendly, cut-throat? I only ask because I interviewed for the Charles Drew/UCLA program and was recently accepted, but I didn't really get to meet/see the UCLA DGSOM interviewees, so I just want a better picture before I make a potentially life-changing decision.
I don't know much about the average debt but i'm sure if you call the fin aid office, they can give you an estimate very quickly.

I'm not a current student but was interviewed and have many med student friends at DGSOM since I go to UCLA. What i can say is that it is a relatively chill environment and student body. My friends deeply enjoy their time there and no one has major administrative or people issues. I was also told that there is not a major distinction between CDU/UCLA and DGSOM students. everybody respects each other and works together! When I interviewed, my interview group was very talkative and comfortable with each other which gave me a positive vibe into the type of students, DGSOM looks for. Admin staffs were also very nice and helpful. This is my short 2 cents :)! I hope it will give you some perspective. I maybe biased but I love UCLA and have been here working with UCLA faculties and staffs for long enough to say that the med school environment is more than welcoming!

I have a 30 day notice to give for housing, 2 weeks for work, and my current matriculating school starts in June. I hope we hear soon. It's too early to bother them, but by the end of May or early June I will have to call and ask my likelihood of acceptance. Does anyone know if Dean Hall or admissions is open to telling people their chances as it gets closer to July?

Pretty sure we're in the same exact boat down to the school - definitely feeling a lot of stress about this. While I'll be happy wherever I end up, it's tough having all of this uncertainty! Hopefully we both get some certainty soon :)

40% of the class comes after May 1st LOLLLLLLLLLLLL nice try Dr. Hall

Reactions: 4 users
just got accepted! interviewed late march

Reactions: 9 users
I’m guessing those of us who have interviewed earlier will have to wait until next week for waitlist movement.
I don't think there are any more patterns at this point. They assess their open spots and roll out acceptances, but who knows when, why, and how many. If anyone gets any details via a phone call I hope they post it. I just wish they would send an email or something saying we plan to send out some acceptances on X date and/or tell us how many spots are currently available.

I don't think there are any more patterns at this point. They assess their open spots and roll out acceptances, but who knows when, why, and how many. If anyone gets any details via a phone call I hope they post it. I just wish they would send an email or something saying we plan to send out some acceptances on X date and/or tell us how many spots are currently available.
The issue with that is the randomness of how many students drop and when as well as when the committees meet to discuss! All of these events fluctuate dramatically and unpredictably! Waitlist movement can go all the way to July too T.T

Hey all,

Sorry about the hiatus! My final block of first year (Neuro) has been quite an adventure lol. I'll be checking SDN more frequently so feel free to hit me with any questions you may have. Also feel free to email me, I check that regularly.

Is this technically waitlist movement? Is it possible this student was actually just one of the last ones to get accepted from the normal cycle?
False alarm yea :/ I don't think a post-single-acceptance-deadline wave has come yet

I wonder what the hold up is... I guess it's because people have up to two weeks to respond to financial aid offers from other schools. So even if another school offers a UCLA acceptee something, they can theoretically hold it until May 14.

However, I presume they are still above the over accepted number of 175-180. That's why waitlist movement has been slow.

gyngyn has mentioned on the WL movement thread that there has been movement at UCLA this past weekend, so I guess people haven't been posting here.

to accepted folks: how long after the portal change did you receive your letter?

I got the letter on the portal almost immediately

sorry I was a bit unclear - did you also receive a letter by email/mail or did they only notify you through a portal change? if you got a letter through the mail/email, was it at the same time as the portal change?

thanks for your time!

sorry I was a bit unclear - did you also receive a letter by email/mail or did they only notify you through a portal change? if you got a letter through the mail/email, was it at the same time as the portal change?

thanks for your time!

i got an email asking me to check my portal (no information about acceptance in the email). i saw my acceptance + scholarship offer on the portal. all happened at the same time

i got an email asking me to check my portal (no information about acceptance in the email). i saw my acceptance + scholarship offer on the portal. all happened at the same time

word thank you!!

I was on the waitlist here last year and was ultimately not pulled off the waitlist. I have to tell you, I know friends who were very persistent with the admissions office by sending multiple letters of intent, and who went to the admission office IN PERSON multiple times to ask about the status of their application, were ultimately successful in getting off the waitlist. I'm not sure what role that had in their ultimate acceptance, but now, at another school, I see that when an applicant is very persistent with showing their interest in the school, that they do take that into account (though they may say they don't, and people on here say to not do that because they don't want everyone contacting them all the time). But, if you are interested in attending DGSOM, I highly encourage you to go to the admissions office in person, this is key, weekly, and to continuously show your intent to attend DGSOM.

I was on the waitlist here last year and was ultimately not pulled off the waitlist. I have to tell you, I know friends who were very persistent with the admissions office by sending multiple letters of intent, and who went to the admission office IN PERSON multiple times to ask about the status of their application, were ultimately successful in getting off the waitlist. I'm not sure what role that had in their ultimate acceptance, but now, at another school, I see that when an applicant is very persistent with showing their interest in the school, that they do take that into account (though they may say they don't, and people on here say to not do that because they don't want everyone contacting them all the time). But, if you are interested in attending DGSOM, I highly encourage you to go to the admissions office in person, this is key, weekly, and to continuously show your intent to attend DGSOM.
I hope everyone understands that this is utterly a joke lol

This is probably not the best way of doing things.