2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friday night graveyard shift got me feeling some kind of way
Haha they release decisions over the weekend last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of ANY UCLA waitlist offers after May 1st? I haven't seen evidence of a single one other than the one SDN post from a march interviewer.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard of ANY UCLA waitlist offers after May 1st? I haven't seen evidence of a single one other than the one SDN post from a march interviewer.

Nope; I was a march interviewer myself and haven't even received any sort of update. Just the "you're under active consideration until the beginning of class". Apparently people keep citing that gyngyn comment where he said that there was movement at UCLA - maybe they just don't post to SDN?

Reactions: 2 users

It's possible that they overaccepted much more than last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another student on the Drew forum also got the Geffen. I mean i'm not surprised given their "quota" of 20% of the class get the Geffen after all
Wow, 2 People got Geffen Scholarships off of the waitlist today? or is this the same person?

Spoke to a friend of mine. Also got in today, but not going to UCLA. Committed to another school.

Maybe not enough Geffen scholars committed but I feel like Dgsom says a lot of things then do other things.
Yeah, Dean Hall definitely said Geffen scholarship funds don't get reallocated. If someone turns it down, it goes back into the pot for next year. I specifically asked him.

Yeah, Dean Hall definitely said Geffen scholarship funds don't get reallocated. If someone turns it down, it goes back into the pot for next year. I specifically asked him.
I think if a **** ton turn it down more than usual he'd offer it to others. It's free

Cool, I bet you know better than the man who runs this program who told us explicitly how this scholarship works.
Lol so wait... Clearly you said in an earlier post that UCSF is your top choice and would only turn it down if you got the Geffen. Yet when I say what I think, you make fun of it and tell me you heard it from him. Well if you believe what he said, why haven't you withdrawn dope! Unless, of course you don't believe what Hall told you... But that's a bit hypocritical, no?

Cool, I bet you know better than the man who runs this program who told us explicitly how this scholarship works.
I would think that in extreme cases where yield is at risk or any of the school's goal and/or funding/donation is at risk, the Dean can change the process. Again, we are all speculating and are all reporting what we saw or heard. Maybe the students who just got in and got the Geffen are those who interviewed much later and weren't on the waitlist but at least for the Drew student who got the Geffen, it is very likely that he/she was on the waitlist given how Drew conducts their interview and how their admission process works. Therefore, that may suggest that the student was pulled off the waitlist and Geffen was offered which is conflicting with the information offered by the Dean. Is that bad? no, if anything, it means students who get off the waitlist now have a chance at the Geffen.

If they want a candidate from the waitlist to pick UCLA over a competitor school that the person has already committed to, I would bet they would use the Geffen as a recruitment tool.

The luxuries people can afford... getting a Geffen Scholarship and then NOT accepting it... lol

haha I actually know someone who turned down a Geffen this year to go to another school (that didn't offer a full tuition scholarship)

According to gyngyn there has been more waitlist movement today at DGSOM

honestly i don't care anymore
Someone should just call and ask and be like someone else on the waitlist said they called and said you guys will not "and have not" been taking people off the waitlist and you just wanted to confirm if that's true.

Someone should just call and ask and be like someone else on the waitlist said they called and said you guys will not "and have not" been taking people off the waitlist and you just wanted to confirm if that's true.
We already know there is bound to be some trickling WL acceptances from DGSOM. But I feel like the whole 30-40% of the class coming from the WL isn't happening this year.

took the plunge and called the admission office a moment ago: the lady at the office said that they already had waitlist movement and will have more.
The first waitlist movement just happened, she did not specify which date. She said the next group movement will be in June, and after that is small ones up until one week before orientation on August 6.

The only good news I see from this is UCLA already exhausted the over-accepted group and now move on to us wait-listed.

Reactions: 3 users
took the plunge and called the admission office a moment ago: the lady at the office said that they already had waitlist movement and will have more.
The first waitlist movement just happened, she did not specify which date. She said the next group movement will be in June, and after that is small ones up until one week before orientation on August 6.

The only good news I see from this is UCLA already exhausted the over-accepted group and now move on to us wait-listed.
Thanks for calling! Did they say when in June? I have to move across the country on June 7thish

Update - I called them and they couldn't comment when in June. They also said there probably won't be much else in May because they just sent out a round.

Last edited:
Did they say when in june? I have to move across the country on June 7thish Thanks for calling!

I did ask but she said she only knows it will be in June. I guess they have to wait for the turn out of the recently accepted waitlist group, how many will take the offers, and then the committee has to meet too, just assumption.

I did ask but she said she only knows it will be in June. I guess they have to wait for the turn out of the recently accepted waitlist group, how many will take the offers, and then the committee has to meet too, just assumption.
Well the waitlist offers have up to a week to decide so hopefully the ADCOM meets right after that and keeps the ball rolling. It's so hard to make moving-across-the-country plans knowing that UCLA is still a maybe...

Well the waitlist offers have up to a week to decide so hopefully the ADCOM meets right after that and keeps the ball rolling. It's so hard to make moving-across-the-country plans knowing that UCLA is still a maybe...

Gosh I feel you. I’m in the same boat. So I just went ahead and made the plans to move, and if UCLA lets me in after I’ve moved, I have to say it’ll be a very welcomed pain in the butt to move all the way back!

How long do waitlist people that were recently accepted have to make their decision? Is it 2 weeks or 1 week?

How long do waitlist people that were recently accepted have to make their decision? Is it 2 weeks or 1 week?
According to the MSAR, accepted UCLA applicants have 1 week to accept/reject offers after May 1st.

reaching the stage that you know they won't contact again, but still checking the phone frequently and leaving the ringtone on for that one call from Dr. Hall, maybe...

reaching the stage that you know they won't contact again, but still checking the phone frequently and leaving the ringtone on for that one call from Dr. Hall, maybe...
From what I know, the graduation for MS4 is tomorrow so I don’t think ADCOM Met this week or will notify anyone until next week! Hang tight my friend!! You never know

Reactions: 4 users
hi, I've been following this thread since the beginning but never posted. I was rejected from the PRIME program and passed over to regular MD program. Anyone else in the same boat?, and does anyone have any info on whether anyone who was rejected from PRIME got into DGSOM?
Slowly losing hope as days in June creep by D=

+1 Also rejected from PRIME and deferred to regular MD program. I've made my peace with it and am no longer waiting. This will be the last free summer in a while so might as well enjoy it.

I still cannot believe it’s June 4 and no one has posted an admittance save for one person (who interviewed late)! Crazy...
Still hoping for the best for that June group waitlist movement that was discussed earlier... Crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 3 users
I still cannot believe it’s June 4 and no one has posted an admittance save for one person (who interviewed late)! Crazy...
I know I'm packing to move across the country right now. Still in denial... maybe UCLA will sneak in last minute and I won't have to move lol *crazy eyes*

Reactions: 4 users
Apparently you can call and get your status. Good luck everybody!

Also interested in knowing ^
Plus, does DGSOM put anyone on an official WL? Or is it if you've been interviewed but haven't got rejected yet that you're on this "unofficial WL" ?