2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Language is actually not that big a deal. I and many of my classmates checked "no" to both the Spanish and humanities classes "high recommendation" on the UCLA secondary, and clearly it wasn't a problem.

I will also say that based on anecdotal observations of the incoming MS1 class, applying later does not seem to impact UCLA acceptance rates nearly as much as it does for most of the other schools that they applied to. I might hazard a guess that this is because we take our time anyway with application review at every step of the process, so a delay in applying on your end may not end up being too noticeable to us on our end. Just a guess though. I still recommend applying as soon as possible for us regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submit your primary for verification and add only 1 school (throwaway/out of reach school) so that you are in the queue. Verification can take up to 1 month. Your MCAT score is not required for verification, and will be transmitted to schools after you decide if you're happy with your score. As long as all other items are complete (secondaries, LOR's), you will be OK applying around September, assuming you are a competitive applicant.

Thank you! I actually didn't know that. This is so helpful.

Any MSTP applicants gotten secondaries yet? I'm still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a secondary :( This is the last one left other than my state schools who happen to wait until August to send their secondaries out.

So for the part where we list our employment experiences, there is a 4000 character limit to the prompt "Describe your work experience." But then when I submit a work experience, there is simply a little column titled "Company Description" under which the first ~15 characters of my response are shown.

Is there a print preview where I can check to see exactly what the readers will see? I can't seem to find one but if there is a print preview for someone who already submitted, could someone confirm they will see the entire (ie up to 4000 character) response? Thanks.

So for the part where we list our employment experiences, there is a 4000 character limit to the prompt "Describe your work experience." But then when I submit a work experience, there is simply a little column titled "Company Description" under which the first ~15 characters of my response are shown.

Is there a print preview where I can check to see exactly what the readers will see? I can't seem to find one but if there is a print preview for someone who already submitted, could someone confirm they will see the entire (ie up to 4000 character) response? Thanks.
Replying to myself just in case anyone has the same question as me: they'll be able to view the entire thing. Apologies for the double post.

Is anyone else's letters of recommendation / references still marked as not received? Mine were submitted about 3 weeks ago.

Still waiting on a secondary. Got every other UC weeks ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on a secondary :( This is the last one left other than my state schools who happen to wait until August to send their secondaries out.

Dude same...

Still waiting on a secondary. Got every other UC weeks ago.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Chill guys, it is still pretty early in the game! Secondaries still go out for a few more months.

How hard is this screen? I was thinking about prewriting while I wait but then there's that chance I never even get it... lol weigh in team

Is anyone else's letters of recommendation / references still marked as not received? Mine were submitted about 3 weeks ago.
To follow up on this, I checked the portal just now and it says that they have my LORs and that my application is complete. I didn't receive an email or anything. In fact I checked this morning and they weren't up yet, so maybe you and others will be complete today as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
How hard is this screen? I was thinking about prewriting while I wait but then there's that chance I never even get it... lol weigh in team

Same feelings lol

Also, can anyone tell me which of the 10 essays are optional?

Same feelings lol

Also, can anyone tell me which of the 10 essays are optional?

I read somewhere it's like 30% get secondaries. All essays are required. There's a Y/N questions about experiencing hardship that reveals that one though.

Just got super excited when I saw an email from UCLA in my inbox, but it turned out to be a confirmation that they had received my primary :lame:. It's been a month since they got it!

Reactions: 1 users
They seem to be very excited about it though, because I've now received three emails saying the same thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Got that email three times in a row as well. Wonder what's going on

By the way, does UCLA MSTP also undergo pre-screening process just like the MD?

By the way, does UCLA MSTP also undergo pre-screening process just like the MD?
According to their website: "After the initial application is processed and verified by AMCAS, most applicants to the MSTP will then receive notification via email to complete the combined supplemental (secondary) application for the School of Medicine and the MSTP." I'm assuming, as long as everything is okay in AMCAS, you'll receive a secondary. Not sure though, just giving an answer based on their site.

anyone else just get 3 emails in a row saying they received the primary app?

According to their website: "After the initial application is processed and verified by AMCAS, most applicants to the MSTP will then receive notification via email to complete the combined supplemental (secondary) application for the School of Medicine and the MSTP." I'm assuming, as long as everything is okay in AMCAS, you'll receive a secondary. Not sure though, just giving an answer based on their site.
Wonder what they mean by "most applicants" instead of all

Make sure you didn't apply to UCLA-drew....
Definitely Geffen. Didn't apply to Drew. I even received the email reminder from AMCAS saying that I haven't designated letters to Geffen yet cause no secondary.

Definitely Geffen. Didn't apply to Drew. I even received the email reminder from AMCAS saying that I haven't designated letters to Geffen yet cause no secondary.

I'm in the same exact situation as you.

Same situation as well.

No secondary/no we've received your primary gang checking in.

Reactions: 5 users
I visited this thread, and then had a nagging thought that I may have accidentally applied to the Drew program, as opposed to Geffen. A quick look-see through my AMCAS confirmed my mistake.

I think the most frustrating part of it is that you spend so much time researching and thinking through your school list, and then a dumb mistake like this can put you over a month behind. I guess there is a lesson in this, huh?

Well, I am now 40$ poorer and throwing my hat in with the rest of y'all, although later than I would have hoped. Looking forward to the ride!

there's no harm in applying to both programs right? applied to both, haven't received secondary to either nor received confirmation they got my primary to either

Reactions: 1 users
Wait. Can somebody explain why applying to both is so detrimental?

Verified last week and still haven't received secondary. No need to worry folks

Have received zero contact as well. Seems like the most recent wave of secondaries to come out was a few weeks ago, so hopefully the next will be soon!

Does anyone have data from last year about when the secondary's were sent out? When was the latest secondary to be sent out?

Secondary!!!!!! OOS 3.46 510 but very impressive ec's

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Secondary!!!!!! OOS 3.46 510 but very impressive ec's

to clarify, this was in the first wave. I've just been staying away from these threads until I get my secondaries finished

Glad I'm not the only one still waiting on a secondary. :( I was verified 6/27 and complete on 7/6.

Replying to myself just in case anyone has the same question as me: they'll be able to view the entire thing. Apologies for the double post.

No print preview on submit, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Wait. Can somebody explain why applying to both is so detrimental?

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound detrimental! I just was intending to apply to Geffen, as I had actually misunderstood the Drew program a bit and figured I would not fit there. But, it sounds like an incredible program with a mission I really identify with, so I will go for both now and see!

Sorry for any confusion

Have they sent out any secondary invites since the first wave few weeks ago?

Uhhh so, idk when they made this change but the character limits on these prompts are no longer 4000 characters. Honestly the admissions office probably got a bunch of 4000 character essays from each person and were like hell nah

Reactions: 7 users
1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

@gyngyn

Reactions: 7 users
1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

@gyngyn
Damn. I'm so glad I didn't start this one yet. I'm about to knock it out tomorrow