2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got my secondary!!
time to drop everything and get to work

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope I get one too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a secondary!

I have kind of a finicky question. For this prompt:

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.

Do they consider a post bac program to be a degree? It wasn't technically a degree program but it was three straight years of a full-time premedical education.

Congrats everyone who received the secondary! Anyone else in the no-secondary club? :lame:

Reactions: 13 users
Got a secondary too! Thought I had been passed over. Verified in mid June. IS ~75

Congrats everyone who received the secondary! Anyone else in the no-secondary club? :lame:

Yep. IS from SoCal but my LM is ~67 so maybe that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dam did I get passed again? congrats to all who recently received a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary yesterday, Looking through it I dont see a place to click on UCLA prime, is there an option somewhere?

Got a secondary yesterday, Looking through it I dont see a place to click on UCLA prime, is there an option somewhere?
I believe that for UCLA prime you have to apply MD/MPH on the primary.

I believe that for UCLA prime you have to apply MD/MPH on the primary.
Maybe i should call them then because I just applied normal MD and received a secondary, probably have a better shot with prime though

EDIT: nevermind found the info online, guess i should change it on AMCAS

any june applicants still not receive a secondary? :/

Reactions: 3 users
Have any PRIME applicants received a secondary? Meaning those who indicated MD/MPH on the primary.

what's the character limit? I've heard 4000, 800, and 300
It varies on the newest version. 300 characters for your honor and scholarly project, 500 for challenge, 4000 (I think?) for each employment description, and 800 for non-academic activity, leadership activity, and volunteer work.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to Drew by accident. Hopping on the Geffen train now. Super stoked to see they review numbers blind at first.

Hi what do you mean by this? Are you saying that they don't look at stats when deciding who to send a secondary?

is the prime secondary just the normal secondary plus the extra prime questions?
Yeah. There are seperate sections for the extracurricular essays, personal essays, and scholastic activities. Then I have a PRIME section with all 5 essays.

Does anyone know if they're accepting AP credits for things like the year of English requirement? It looks like they haven't in the past but they might be now...?

Do you guys think UCLA values research more or work in underserved, hispanic communities more? I'm thinking about how to shape my "Where do you see yourself in 10 years" essay and have experience in both of these areas.

Do you guys think UCLA values research more or work in underserved, hispanic communities more? I'm thinking about how to shape my "Where do you see yourself in 10 years" essay and have experience in both of these areas.
I think the most important thing is being true to what you want to do. If you see yourself incorporating both of those into your future, try to squeeze them both in. If you only have space for one, choose the one that is more important to you. I think that either of those would look good in your application, so there's really nothing to lose.

I think the most important thing is being true to what you want to do. If you see yourself incorporating both of those into your future, try to squeeze them both in. If you only have space for one, choose the one that is more important to you. I think that either of those would look good in your application, so there's really nothing to lose.
I was thinking about using both but its such a small space and idk how I would tie them together. The latino one is more important to me so I think I'll use that. Thanks a lot!

Did everyone use the entire 4000 characters to describe their work experiences?

I was thinking about using both but its such a small space and idk how I would tie them together. The latino one is more important to me so I think I'll use that. Thanks a lot!

Honestly, I think of UCLA as more of a primary care medical school with excellent research opportunities, so I think that will make for a fantastic essay.

Should we use experiences from college-on for the essays? Not sure what I can write about for honors received.

Also, I used maybe 100 characters for my work experiences. I think they may have forgotten to reduce the character limit for that section...

When asked to check yes/no for completing 1 year+ in competencies-- is 1 year 1 semester or 2?

When asked to check yes/no for completing 1 year+ in competencies-- is 1 year 1 semester or 2?
Also, on their website it says AP's can be used, but in the app it specifically asks if you've completed 1+ years of these subjects "in college"-- should I only answer yes to subjects I've taken 2+ semesters of in college?

Also, on their website it says AP's can be used, but in the app it specifically asks if you've completed 1+ years of these subjects "in college"-- should I only answer yes to subjects I've taken 2+ semesters of in college?
I included AP credits. They're not going to kill you if you put the wrong thing.

I have to say, being passed up once kind of sucked but being passed twice hurts more. It's going to be a rough ride :/

You are not alone (Michael Jackson reference)
I was also passed up the second time. Any idea when the last wave of secondaries comes so I can stop getting my hopes up?

Silver lining for me: L.A. be far as hell from Jersey.

You are not alone (Michael Jackson reference)
I was also passed up the second time. Any idea when the last wave of secondaries comes so I can stop getting my hopes up?

Silver lining for me: L.A. be far as hell from Jersey.

Thanks! But wow, congrats on 4 II's at this stage in the cycle. You're in a good place.

Anyone want to give their thoughts about my two options for my most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity?

I'm an amateur beekeeper, which is definitely my most unique activity and something I haven't mentioned much in my app thus far... but I'm not sure if that would get side-eyed as not what they were asking for here. Another alternative is a club president position I've held for a few years, but that's something I've already written pretty substantially about -- but it might fit the prompt a bit better.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone want to give their thoughts about my two options for my most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity?

I'm an amateur beekeeper, which is definitely my most unique activity and something I haven't mentioned much in my app thus far... but I'm not sure if that would get side-eyed as not what they were asking for here. Another alternative is a club president position I've held for a few years, but that's something I've already written pretty substantially about -- but it might fit the prompt a bit better.
My vote is for the beekeeper activity. I think that counts as a creative activity and it definitely stands out as unique. Club president positions are a dime a dozen.

My vote is for the beekeeper activity. I think that counts as a creative activity and it definitely stands out as unique. Club president positions are a dime a dozen.
Thanks! That was basically my thought process, but it's helpful to get an outside perspective on the beekeeping option.

Our next door neighbors are beekeepers. I really like that. I mean, that fits the definition of unique and will really make you stand out. I hope that makes you stand out in a good way, but perhaps someone else has a different perspective?

I have no idea what is "right" but I would go with the beekeeper. They are looking for something interesting/not typical pre-med (from what I can tell) so I think that is truly unique!