2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no idea what is "right" but I would go with the beekeeper. They are looking for something interesting/not typical pre-med (from what I can tell) so I think that is truly unique!
Our next door neighbors are beekeepers. I really like that. I mean, that fits the definition of unique and will really make you stand out. I hope that makes you stand out in a good way, but perhaps someone else has a different perspective?
Thank you both for the feedback! I think I'll go for it and hope it simply slips in as a "creative" activity (or is interesting enough that no one minds :)).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to give their thoughts about my two options for my most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity?

I'm an amateur beekeeper, which is definitely my most unique activity and something I haven't mentioned much in my app thus far... but I'm not sure if that would get side-eyed as not what they were asking for here. Another alternative is a club president position I've held for a few years, but that's something I've already written pretty substantially about -- but it might fit the prompt a bit better.
Love the beekeeper idea.

Reactions: 1 user
hopefully the continue to send them out this week, still left out here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Initially pushed off doing this secondary when I first got it because I had prewritten for the shorter word count limit. Just submitted now and I am glad they changed it back. 4000 words just seemed way off.

I originally indicated on AMCAS that I was applying for PRIME, but have since reconsidered and am now uncertain if I want to do that or just regular MD. I received the secondary a few days ago, does anyone know if it is possible to switch to MD-only at this point? Planning to put a call in to admissions sometime tomorrow but thought I'd ask here just in case.

I used about 300. Wasn't much to say, but my work experiences overlapped with my other descriptions.
Are they asking for a resume-like description, or an in depth explanation of what I did and what I learned? Are other non-trad applicants going more in depth?

1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 char)
2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char)
3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 char)
4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 char to explain if yes)
5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 char)
6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (300 char)
7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 char)
8. Section to enter major work experiences, with 4000 char. to explain each experience.
9. Is there any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? If yes: Please explain. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors: (500 char)
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 char)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
UCLA Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UCLA? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!
What do they define as a non-academic experience? Is that hobbies or could it be my job working as a TMS technician?

Hi guys! Incoming student here as well :)
Just to add to the timeline information, I received my primary soon after verification in July, was complete with my committee letter mid September, got my II in October, interviewed in December, and waited all the way till the last day of May for an acceptance! Don't let the timeline get you down, stay optimistic till the end!

I also applied as disadvantaged, so I can help with questions about that!

Hi Pusheen! I was curious as to how the disadvantaged applications process works. I understand that there is a separate adcom member that handles disadvantaged applications (per the website). I was curious as to weather that is for entire process, including screening, or whether they handle the applications after the screening process? Additionally, I am sometimes confused by what schools consider to be disadvantaged. Sometimes it seems that they mean medically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, and sometimes they include all socioeconomically disadvantaged applicants. I am white, but I am EO1 designated and grew up in a medically under-served rural area, so I was wondering if my application would be evaluated by the "disadvantaged route" or not. Thanks!

Also, for everyone else, did you receive an email acknowledgement that they have received your primary? I added DGSOM at the end of July, I believe. I would not be surprised at all to be screened out, but I was just wondering if they tell you when they get your primary or not. Thank you!

I submitted my primary 6/9, had it verified 6/29 and have yet to receive any email acknowledgement. Does this mean they haven't even looked at my application yet? That would be slightly less depressing than being passed over.

I submitted my primary 6/9, had it verified 6/29 and have yet to receive any email acknowledgement. Does this mean they haven't even looked at my application yet? That would be slightly less depressing than being passed over.

I submitted my application on June 1st and still have not received a secondary either

Are they asking for a resume-like description, or an in depth explanation of what I did and what I learned? Are other non-trad applicants going more in depth?

I did an in-depth explanation. My duties, what I learned, why I worked there, etc. Paint a full picture for them.

Any MSTP applicants still waiting on that secondary? >_>

Reactions: 5 users
Quick question (and this applies to all schools, but just thought I'd ask it here) - once AMCAS confirms receipt of your LORs, how long on average does it take schools to send the "application is complete" e-mail? My school didn't send out my LOR packet until yesterday (although I submitted my secondaries weeks ago), and I'm just trying to get a sense of the timeline from here on out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question (and this applies to all schools, but just thought I'd ask it here) - once AMCAS confirms receipt of your LORs, how long on average does it take schools to send the "application is complete" e-mail? My school didn't send out my LOR packet until yesterday (although I submitted my secondaries weeks ago), and I'm just trying to get a sense of the timeline from here on out. Thanks!

It took mine about a day to update, but that was also July 11th, so it may or may not take a bit more time now!

It has ranged from <1 day to >2 weeks between schools. Ones that take longest, from what I've seen, are Einstein and Hopkins. I also did not actually receive the complete email at over half of the schools I applied to, but for the majority of them you can check in the portal. UCLA was one of the ones that took longer (I think it might have been a week or two?) to pull my letters, and I never got an email from them.

+1 for MSTP secondary

Does anyone know what we're supposed to fill in for "location of study" on the MSTP supplemental?

Nice! When did you guys submit your primaries if you don't mind me asking.

+1 for MSTP secondary

Does anyone know what we're supposed to fill in for "location of study" on the MSTP supplemental?
+2 here!
and im guessing the city/state of ur undergrad?

Last edited:
+3 for MSTP secondary, verified late June.

Does anyone have any idea about the 'personal comments' and 'statement of purpose' essays? Should these be completely different from our primary essays?

I submitted June 5, verified mid-June.

Thanks, bluelamin -- that's my best guess too.

Regarding the 'personal comments' and 'statement of purpose' essays, my approach is usually to stay consistent with my primary essays in terms of how I represent myself, my career goals, and the values that matter most to me, but to try to refer to different anecdotes and experiences than in my primaries. It's kind of a personal choice, though, I think.

Ucla and/or Caltech depending on ur interests I believe
This^

Also, the character counts are all 800 or under. I think we got a rather different form from the regular med people

Ucla and/or Caltech depending on ur interests I believe
Ahh, that makes sense. last question: so say we choose UCLA for location, does that mean we still list faculty mentors at both institutions or just at UCLA?

Does anyone here have an idea of how many waves of incoming secondaries are left? I did not have my surfboard up for the first two, if you catch my drift. (I have bad pun humor, I am sorry.)

Reactions: 5 users
For the prompt on "most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity," would it seem superficial if I say I do balloon animal twisting? I started out with this hobby because I wanted to make my niece and nephew happy, but then I also used it once or twice in a cultural fair, and the children loved it.

I also want to mention something I did in high school because our group won second in the country, but it seemed so far ago that I don't think it's appropriate for MD app.

question on mstp supp: are we supposed to fill out the reference section with the info about the references used for the primary? or do we only add new references? also, I understand the statement of purpose section but what exactly are we supposed to talk about in the personal comments section?

For the prompt on "most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity," would it seem superficial if I say I do balloon animal twisting? I started out with this hobby because I wanted to make my niece and nephew happy, but then I also used it once or twice in a cultural fair, and the children loved it.

I also want to mention something I did in high school because our group won second in the country, but it seemed so far ago that I don't think it's appropriate for MD app.

I'm relatively sure few people do balloon tying, so it might help you stand out!

I'm liking the balloon twisting - especially if you have interest in peds!
For the high school activity, was it in any way connected to something you did in college or after? Did the award motivate you to continue in science? (Assuming it was a science award.) I've been advised that adcoms want to hear about things you did as an adult, so no high school, but if there's a thread there...

Still no secondary... should I give up?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm liking the balloon twisting - especially if you have interest in peds!
For the high school activity, was it in any way connected to something you did in college or after? Did the award motivate you to continue in science? (Assuming it was a science award.) I've been advised that adcoms want to hear about things you did as an adult, so no high school, but if there's a thread there...

Thank you! I actually learned that balloon twisting can bring joy to adults as well, especially on people's birthday.
The high school activity had nothing to do with medicine; it was a business-related activity where my group came up with a budget and ideas to promote a certain music label. We went with bringing Korean pop to the US (because Gangnam style was a big deal). It's just so out there that I love it, but unfortunately I was not able to continue this kind of entrepreneurial spirit in college.

Thank you! I actually learned that balloon twisting can bring joy to adults as well, especially on people's birthday.
The high school activity had nothing to do with medicine; it was a business-related activity where my group came up with a budget and ideas to promote a certain music label. We went with bringing Korean pop to the US (because Gangnam style was a big deal). It's just so out there that I love it, but unfortunately I was not able to continue this kind of entrepreneurial spirit in college.
Yes, good point about balloons on birthdays!
If you're choosing between balloons and the business project (which sounds like it was academic, right? Not something you or the music label implemented?), I'd probably go with balloons. :)

Still no secondary... should I give up?
Was it Churchill - never never never give up? (Or Thomas & Friends?)
I am just excited getting a secondary from anywhere, at my "nontrad" stage of life.
Not sure about UCLA in particular, but last year's threads for other schools show secondaries hitting all the way into Feb and March. If UCLA wants to wait until the last wave to send me one, I am 100% good with that. I can wait. It just takes one!
Keep the faith!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all, what's the general consensus on "restating" things from our primary app? For example, one of my "most meaningful" experiences on my AMCAS app was my tutoring in a prison. I consider that my most meaningful volunteer work - so when answering "What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?" is it fine to list this same experience and describe it in a similar fashion? idk I'm feeling a bit conflicted

You can list the same thing, but just approach it from a different perspective. Talk about something that wasn't on the primary.

Any CA residents still not receive a secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 14 users
Never received a secondary. Verified 7/12. Should I contact admissions? Anyone else not have one yet? I'm OOS

question on mstp supp: are we supposed to fill out the reference section with the info about the references used for the primary? or do we only add new references? also, I understand the statement of purpose section but what exactly are we supposed to talk about in the personal comments section?
wondering this stuff too. I think for references it's probably asking about which ones are your research-specific references. but yes confused about personal comments vs statement of purpose for the MSTP part...

Never received a secondary. Verified 7/12. Should I contact admissions? Anyone else not have one yet? I'm OOS

UCLA screens before sending out secondaries, meaning not everyone who applies will get a secondary. however, not getting a secondary right now doesn't mean you won't get one in the future, as we send them out all the way until dec/jan.

wondering this stuff too. I think for references it's probably asking about which ones are your research-specific references. but yes confused about personal comments vs statement of purpose for the MSTP part...
I think it's all of our references that we list -- here's a quote from the MSTP FAQs:
"How many letters of recommendation are required?
Three letters of recommendation are required, with at least one letter from a research mentor who can address the student’s research experience and abilities. A maximum of five letters of recommendation may be submitted. Letters must be submitted electronically via AAMC. Committee letters or composite letters are acceptable, but the names of the applicant's three referees must be listed on the supplemental application."
-- I listed all of mine, at least!

Has anyone else not received an email confirming UCLA received their primary? I was verified in June and haven't heard anything

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having issues accessing the secondary link? Whenever I click on the link in the email, it tells me the "DNS address cannot be found". Is this an issue with the website, or with my computer?

Has anyone else not received an email confirming UCLA received their primary? I was verified in June and haven't heard anything

I have not heard anything either. I was verified at the end of June so I've no idea if that makes a difference.

At this point, all I can do is just move on (hope for the best, prepare the worst).