2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's actually pretty decent.

You're right. According to UCSD's information on MSAR, they offered 743 interviews to 7990 overall applicants, for a whopping total of 9.2 (typo earlier)%. So apparently the on-hold status does not increase nor decrease our chances, essentially (unless if it is truly a rate of 5%)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're right. According to UCSD's information on MSAR, they offered 743 interviews to 7990 overall applicants, for a whopping total of 0.92%. So apparently the on-hold status increases our chances by 5-10 times. Wow

Didn't think of being on-hold as good news, but apparently we can take a positive from it
... lol, you might want to check your math - that's 9.2%

so apparently it's just as likely :/

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask how 5-10% chance is good when no one knows how many are actually on hold. I was put on hold for 5 schools and I feel like playing roulette wheel would be better odds. Of those 5 2 already rejected me. I applied to 20 schools , had 5 interviews and 6 rejections pre interview, present holds 3 and 6 I am in limbo with but feel like those ships have sailed. I am being realistic for myself and feel like it won't happen especially since 2 holds turned out to be rejections. I think some factors that get you on hold are URM ( they look bad if they can you right off), IS status. Honestly, they cannot find 135-200 great candidates after 700-800 interviews? I think we are put in this box because we are formidable, not horrible but not off the chart stellar ( whatever that means). But I would be happy to be I told you so and eat my words.I do think according to last years thread that anyone who'd not get the hold email are rejected.I just hope everyone gets one acceptance so they do not have to repeat this process.I think it is so nice that everyone on this thread is so kind and forthcoming of information.
Has anyone been placed on hold and NOT received the hold email yet? Called and was told I was on hold, but never received email or status change on the portal. Said they were going to be sending, but never got one. This bad?
As long as they see you on HOLD that is all that matters.You can call back to verify this if you are concerned. The only thing that will piss them off is if you send updates when they specifically asked you not to. Because they said they base their decisions on your official AAMC application. However if you graduated and your GPA went up I would definitely email the final transcript. I did this already and there were no issues doing that.

Does anyone know how difficult it is for oos to get residency for in-state tuition after the first year? Anything we should already be considering?

I am guessing we should see some movement this week in terms of hold decisions.

Last year they announced a bunch of decisions on 1/20, so we should see some at around this time probably

When we get the "Information for Interview Day" email (approximately 1 week before the interview) do we need to respond? Or do they assume that you're coming if you don't email to withdraw? Also on the SLR it says to submit as an attachment and send it in but the email says to bring the form to the interview and submit it there. Do we do both or just bring it on interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
When we get the "Information for Interview Day" email (approximately 1 week before the interview) do we need to respond? Or do they assume that you're coming if you don't email to withdraw? Also on the SLR it says to submit as an attachment and send it in but the email says to bring the form to the interview and submit it there. Do we do both or just bring it on interview day?
You don’t have to respond and I just brought my form on interview day.

Also rejected after hold. Honestly I'm really appreciative that UCSD did it quickly and didn't keep me hanging for too long (Got hold email last month)

Ugh.. another rejection. R after being on hold.

Rejected after pre-II hold. Good luck everyone!

Same as the above people LOL

SoCal resident here. California schools have not been nice to me at all, unfortunately. Applied to 8 California schools, rejected by 5, "waiting" for a secondary for 2, and still waiting on a response from one other school haha

Hard R after hold

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected into oblivion. My inbox is just oozing in rejections :)

+1. Guess the UCs made a pact to clear out all the rejects by end of January. :-(
The email included some numbers, for what it's worth: 7300 primaries, 4500 secondaries, one sixth of secondary applicants progressed to interviews so around 750 interviews. Same # of interviews as last year, per MSAR.
Anyway, good luck to those of you still in the running!

Last edited:
+1. Guess the UCs made a pact to clear out all the rejects by end of January. :-(
The email including some numbers, for what it's worth: 7300 primaries, 4500 secondaries, one sixth of secondary applicants progressed to interviews so around 750 interviews. Same # of interviews as last year, per MSAR.
Anyway, good luck to those of you still in the running!

Were you guys on hold?

Were you guys on hold?
I was, yes. Seems like everyone pre-II was on hold, though, just not everyone got the email. Some people who called earlied in the fall to check on their status were told they were on hold; some of those got the email later, others didn't. I don't think I've seen any pre-II rejections until now, but maybe I missed them?

Does anyone know if they send a lot of rejection waves after hold or this is just one big wave of rejections and if we survive then we have a good chance for an interview?
I think applying has led me to redefine what a "good chance" is

Reactions: 6 users
Same as the above people LOL

SoCal resident here. California schools have not been nice to me at all, unfortunately. Applied to 8 California schools, rejected by 5, "waiting" for a secondary for 2, and still waiting on a response from one other school haha

Same case but waitlisted UCSD, no word from UCR, UCLA, UCSF, rejected from UCI, USC, UCD, and Stanford lol...
Im in state why is this so hard???!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they send a lot of rejection waves after hold or this is just one big wave of rejections and if we survive then we have a good chance for an interview?

I just looked at the threads from the past two years, and from what I could see, it seems like both years there was a big rejection wave in late jan/early feb, followed by a very small trickle of interviews. Apparently even after the rejections there are still several hundred people on hold for only a few interview spots, so I wouldn't call it a "good chance" but it's better than nothing!

Dodged the first rejection bullet :ninja::xf:

R about an hour ago. Knew it was coming but it doesn't sting as much as I had thought. Good luck to those still in the running.

Got the R today after I called them to ask my app status. Said they are behind on sending final decisions.
I was not on hold. So that's a wrap for my California dreams people. (will likely get the axe from UCLA at some point in the not-so-distant future.)

Reactions: 3 users
I just spoke to admissions. They said that they rejected a lot of people who were on hold and that there are only a couple hundred people (around 200-300) on hold now. Essentially the 200-300 people on hold are going to be fill-ins for cancellations. The guy I spoke to estimated that there would be 5-6 cancellations based on previous years, but that is obviously not guaranteed. There are 4 interview dates left: 2/1, 2/8, 2/15, 2/27.

Thanks for the research.

So essentially 200-300 people will not get an interview unless people cancel at this point? Or are they still filling up the later dates (e.g 2/27) with normal II?

Last edited:
Yes, thank you @coolcat10 for making that call. What you heard is consistent with what seemed to happen last year when it looks like there were several CA residents who received last-minute invitations (as in, "get yourself down here next week"). Here's hoping that there will be more than a few of those this year!

I just spoke to admissions. They said that they rejected a lot of people who were on hold and that there are only a couple hundred people (around 200-300) on hold now. Essentially the 200-300 people on hold are going to be fill-ins for cancellations. The guy I spoke to estimated that there would be 5-6 cancellations based on previous years, but that is obviously not guaranteed. There are 4 interview dates left: 2/1, 2/8, 2/15, 2/27.

MOOD

Thanks for the research.

So essentially 200-300 people will not get an interview unless people cancel at this point? Or are they still filling up the later dates (e.g 2/27) with normal II?
From what I understood, all the dates even 2/27 are currently booked and we are just fill-ins for cancellations at this point. :(

Yes, thank you @coolcat10 for making that call. What you heard is consistent with what seemed to happen last year when it looks like there were several CA residents who received last-minute invitations (as in, "get yourself down here next week"). Here's hoping that there will be more than a few of those this year!
Yes he said its possible that we'll get a call the day before the interview but if we can't make it with that short of a notice, they will find a way for us to interview.

@wesleysnipes :rofl::rofl::rofl:That should be on the front page of the Pre-Med forum as one of the stickies!