2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also just accepted! Notified by email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted! Taking it surprisingly well despite the snot drops n tears on my phone screen rn.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted :/. This long wait. Its going to be a tough one being the only waitlist. and everything else rejection

So if I'm lucky enough to get accepted from the UCSD waitlist, I'm probably still in a pretty bad situation housing-wise?

In any case, I'd be ecstatic to go; fingers still crossed!

Wait, fudge. I'm from Texas, so i don't know anything about the housing situation out in San Diego. Is this waitlist for on-campus student housing, or just all apartments within a reasonable vicinity of campus?o_O

For PRIME applicants who have already gotten into the MD program, do you guys know when we will hear back if we got accepted into PRIME? Thanks!

Wait, fudge. I'm from Texas, so i don't know anything about the housing situation out in San Diego. Is this waitlist for on-campus student housing, or just all apartments within a reasonable vicinity of campus?o_O

The waitlist I was talking about was just the waitlist for admission to UCSD. If you've been officially accepted to UCSD, you can add your name to the housing waitlist, which is for on-campus student housing. I've heard that on-campus student housing is a lot cheaper and more convenient compared to other housing options in La Jolla.

The waitlist I was talking about was just the waitlist for admission to UCSD. If you've been officially accepted to UCSD, you can add your name to the housing waitlist, which is for on-campus student housing. I've heard that on-campus student housing is a lot cheaper and more convenient compared to other housing options in La Jolla.
But looking at the wait time for the on-campus housing, it seems like it'd be impossible for a first year med student to get a one bedroom, right?

But looking at the wait time for the on-campus housing, it seems like it'd be impossible for a first year med student to get a one bedroom, right?

I'd defer to @dioxane for a more informed answer to this question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For PRIME applicants who have already gotten into the MD program, do you guys know when we will hear back if we got accepted into PRIME? Thanks!

From what I remember on interview day, they said we should hear back at the end of February!

impossible, no, but definitely tough. the opening of mesa nueva this past year opened up a lot of graduate housing options, so that's probably your best bet. to help, you can put your desired move in date as several months before the start of school. you'll have to pay the extra rent fees but will likely be given priority over wait-listers who put their move-in as august/september.

i'm an introvert and thought singles housing would be the way to go, but i've found that i love living with another medical student. i'd encourage you to put down doubles as some of your housing options as well, as this would increase your changes of getting a grad apartment

do parents go to second look weekend?

not too frequently--that's more of an orientation kinda deal. your second look events will be almost exclusively with other MS1 and MS2 students, and you'll want to spend that time getting to know the school culture and your potential future classmates

What housing would you recommend second to Mesa Nueva?

i'd recommend one miramar street (OMS) apartments over mesa nueva. they are quite a bit nicer IMO, albeit less 'modern'. mesa nueva has really spotty WiFi, and smaller rooms. they do have a bar, spas/pools, and indoor recreation area, but this is still accessible via a five minute walk if you live in OMS

From what I remember on interview day, they said we should hear back at the end of February!

Admissions just got back to me, and PRIME applicants (who already got into the MD program) will hear back March 5th and it will be a rolling waitlist after!

i'd recommend one miramar street (OMS) apartments over mesa nueva. they are quite a bit nicer IMO, albeit less 'modern'. mesa nueva has really spotty WiFi, and smaller rooms. they do have a bar, spas/pools, and indoor recreation area, but this is still accessible via a five minute walk if you live in OMS
What move-in date should I put to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist? When do most students usually move out?

Do people primarily go to second look if they are unsure about what school to go to? I’m pretty dead set on SD so I’m not sure if there is any reason for me to go to it

Do people primarily go to second look if they are unsure about what school to go to? I’m pretty dead set on SD so I’m not sure if there is any reason for me to go to it

I think a lot of people use the day as a way to find potential roommates, meet future classmates, and just get oriented with the campus.

Is there anyone here who can provide some comparison or pro/con list between UCSD and UCLA? Please PM me :) Thanks so much!

impossible, no, but definitely tough. the opening of mesa nueva this past year opened up a lot of graduate housing options, so that's probably your best bet. to help, you can put your desired move in date as several months before the start of school. you'll have to pay the extra rent fees but will likely be given priority over wait-listers who put their move-in as august/september.

i'm an introvert and thought singles housing would be the way to go, but i've found that i love living with another medical student. i'd encourage you to put down doubles as some of your housing options as well, as this would increase your changes of getting a grad apartment

Thank you @dioxane !

Is there anyone here who can provide some comparison or pro/con list between UCSD and UCLA? Please PM me :) Thanks so much!
UCSD has more frequent block exams than UCLA (good or bad depending on your preference)

Is the FASFA just for financial aid, or do you have to fill it out if you are just getting in state tuition?

Does anybody know when their last interview day is/was? Was it yesterday?

Does anybody know when their last interview day is/was? Was it yesterday?

According to past threads, they've been interviewing to the end of February. The 27th or 28th would be the last date.

Someone from admissions confirmed that next Tuesday is their last interview date!

What move-in date should I put to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist? When do most students usually move out?

most students move out around the time of STEP1, since that's when their lease ends. however, they don't fill up the apartments instantly because of inefficiency, so the earlier the move-in date the higher chance you have of getting an apartment

my two best friends here at UCSD chose it over UCLA, so i've gained a little insight into why they made their decision. first, on perhaps a more superficial basis, they got the sense that the class had a much more stuffy and competitive atmosphere than UCSD. this comes into play in every imaginable aspect of education, as if you don't have a collaborative environment you can feel isolated. also, on another superficial basis, the traffic is horrible near UCLA. this also plays more significantly than you'd think into quality of life. what would be a fun, hour-long food trip can easily turn into two or three if you are traveling the comparable distance in LA.

on a more substantive basis, UCSD has a stronger free clinic program and a greater focus on international care. if these are things that interest you, the proximity to tijuana provides unparalleled opportunities to engage with underserved populations. regarding research, my friends at UCLA tell me it's hard to be taken seriously or be given important roles in spearheading projects. i've found quite the opposite at UCSD, and am engaged in two different projects and am on the cusp of publishing my first paper after only a couple months of involvement.

UCLA generally has more generous scholarship programs, so that may be a consideration of yours as well. let me know if you have any specific questions about UCSD!

most students move out around the time of STEP1, since that's when their lease ends. however, they don't fill up the apartments instantly because of inefficiency, so the earlier the move-in date the higher chance you have of getting an apartment

So for the housing waitlist when we have to put a move-in date, does mid-August sound about right? Since school starts late August/early September?

my two best friends here at UCSD chose it over UCLA, so i've gained a little insight into why they made their decision. first, on perhaps a more superficial basis, they got the sense that the class had a much more stuffy and competitive atmosphere than UCSD. this comes into play in every imaginable aspect of education, as if you don't have a collaborative environment you can feel isolated. also, on another superficial basis, the traffic is horrible near UCLA. this also plays more significantly than you'd think into quality of life. what would be a fun, hour-long food trip can easily turn into two or three if you are traveling the comparable distance in LA.

on a more substantive basis, UCSD has a stronger free clinic program and a greater focus on international care. if these are things that interest you, the proximity to tijuana provides unparalleled opportunities to engage with underserved populations. regarding research, my friends at UCLA tell me it's hard to be taken seriously or be given important roles in spearheading projects. i've found quite the opposite at UCSD, and am engaged in two different projects and am on the cusp of publishing my first paper after only a couple months of involvement.

UCLA generally has more generous scholarship programs, so that may be a consideration of yours as well. let me know if you have any specific questions about UCSD!
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!!! I really appreciate it :)

So for the housing waitlist when we have to put a move-in date, does mid-August sound about right? Since school starts late August/early September?

that's the latest date you should put- i'd personally put june or july to try to maximize my chances

Anyone know how the grading works here for each year? Any ranking?

no internal rankings whatsoever. pure P/F the first two years, and during clinical years you are graded as 'not proficient/proficient/high proficiency'

that's the latest date you should put- i'd personally put june or july to try to maximize my chances

That's pretty early, when do MS2's typically move out? May? I'm not sure how the two-year maximum for housing works, is it two years from the day you move in or two years of school?

Thanks for all your help so far!

That's pretty early, when do MS2's typically move out? May? I'm not sure how the two-year maximum for housing works, is it two years from the day you move in or two years of school?

Thanks for all your help so far!

good point! for a reason unbeknownst to me, MS2s are forced out almost exactly when STEP 1 is being held, which is super inconvenient. i'd imagine the 2 year maximum is from the time you move in, so that may be a consideration of yours when losing a couple of months

Last edited:
final admissions decisions will be released on march 6th. good luck everybody! excited to meet you all at 2nd look :)

Anyone think CTBS (the 8 week summer program) is worth signing up for before starting school? Can't decide, I did graduate a couple years ago I so think it might be helpful.

Did any PRIME interviewees hear back today if they were accepted into PRIME?

Rejected today after interview hold :(, which was expected since they're done interviewing.

Anyone think CTBS (the 8 week summer program) is worth signing up for before starting school? Can't decide, I did graduate a couple years ago I so think it might be helpful.

a good number of people in my class did it, oftentimes because they were out of school for several years and wanted to get back into the swing of things. if you feel confident that you still have the study skills to do well in school, i think it's unnecessary; content-wise, you won't have a big advantage going into your first year. however, if you want to be a part of the school experience again and feel a little out of practice, it can be really great for gaining back your confidence. i didn't take any physiology/upper div biology classes before coming to UCSD and i haven't had difficulty keeping up with the material thus far

Accepted today! OOS

Reactions: 3 users