2017-2018 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

If you are 2017 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
University of California San Francisco Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UCSF? Please complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If we don't beat the screen, will we get an email confirming that we're done or will it just be elimination by isolation?

Hey, congrats to you guys for passing the screen! This is earlier than I thought we'd be hearing. Anyone know specifically how they screen? Is it just numbers-based?

Hey, congrats to you guys for passing the screen! This is earlier than I thought we'd be hearing. Anyone know specifically how they screen? Is it just numbers-based?
My guess it that it's not completely numbers based. I say this for two reasons. The first is that you and I haven't received secondaries. While I don't know what your stats are, with a LizzyM of 82, they've got to be pretty stellar. I have good stats, too. The two that received secondaries had lower lizzyM scores. They have great stats, but so do you. Though perhaps they are CA residents.
The second reason I say this is because if it was purely numbers based, it's very likely they would have already been sent by now. Many other CA schools have sent out secondaries, so my guess is that for UCSF and UCLA the secondary screen is pretty exacting.

My guess it that it's not completely numbers based. I say this for two reasons. The first is that you and I haven't received secondaries. While I don't know what your stats are, with a LizzyM of 82, they've got to be pretty stellar. I have good stats, too. The two that received secondaries had lower lizzyM scores. They have great stats, but so do you. Though perhaps they are CA residents.
The second reason I say this is because if it was purely numbers based, it's very likely they would have already been sent by now. Many other CA schools have sent out secondaries, so my guess is that for UCSF and UCLA the secondary screen is pretty exacting.
Both UCLA and UCSF screen very heavily...and NOT only for stats. Both routinely turn down high stat applicants. They look at the whole application. Stats (especially UCSF) still tend to be fairly high, but not nearly as high as many other top 10/20 schools. They want to see strong EC's. They want interesting people. They (especially UCLA) like to see Spanish language skills. They do not favor California applicants, but at the end of the process they end up matriculating more in state than out of state.

Reactions: 3 users
Both UCLA and UCSF screen very heavily...and NOT only for stats. Both routinely turn down high stat applicants. They look at the whole application. Stats (especially UCSF) still tend to be fairly high, but not nearly as high as many other top 10/20 schools. They want to see strong EC's. They want interesting people. They (especially UCLA) like to see Spanish language skills. They do not favor California applicants, but at the end of the process they end up matriculating more in state than out of state.
Thanks for the info! I always wish schools would be more transparent with their process, but I guess they have their reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I always wish schools would be more transparent with their process, but I guess they have their reasons.
It's sad that most schools don't handle the process the way UCLA and UCSF do. Would you prefer they do what 90% of the schools do and just send secondaries to everyone who applies? By screening heavily they are saving you the donation that most other schools are more than happy to receive. Would you prefer them to take your secondary fee and then send you a rejection email within an hour? Yes, it happens!

It's sad that most schools don't handle the process the way UCLA and UCSF do. Would you prefer they do what 90% of the schools do and just send secondaries to everyone who applies? By screening heavily they are saving you the donation that most other schools are more than happy to receive. Would you prefer them to take your secondary fee and then send you a rejection email within an hour? Yes, it happens!
I don't think anyone was complaining about their process, just curious to know more so we can try to gauge our personal competitiveness

a little before 3 PM PST. IS applicant. Im pretty sure they're just taking their time with rolling out all of the secondary invites
Haha yeah sure. Not expecting much. Did you ever receive an email that das your app was under review, like we did from UCSD?

I SO appreciate the screening, and so does my wallet. Very ethical of them -- I wish more schools would follow their lead.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha yeah sure. Not expecting much. Did you ever receive an email that das your app was under review, like we did from UCSD?
Yeah a while ago. No secondary from them just yet.

EDIT: Wait just kidding, not from UCSF. I did from UCSD

@gyngyn

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

If you are 2017 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

Last edited:
If I am planning to apply for the military HPSP scholarship, should I list myself as "expect to be on active duty" on the secondary application? @Armyhealth or anyone else familiar with HPSP.

Got the secondary:) glad it's an easier one!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone interested in applying for the PRIME program? I'm thinking about applying for it because urban health is something i'm really interested in...but if I don't get in the PRIME program, will that mean I won't get into the MD program either? does anyone know how this works?

Is anyone interested in applying for the PRIME program? I'm thinking about applying for it because urban health is something i'm really interested in...but if I don't get in the PRIME program, will that mean I won't get into the MD program either? does anyone know how this works?

I called the office when I asked about MD/PhD - they consider you for both MD and MD/PhD at the same time - they were incredibly nice and helpful! You could check the FAQs in the mean time, but definitely call tomorrow.

I called the office when I asked about MD/PhD - they consider you for both MD and MD/PhD at the same time - they were incredibly nice and helpful! You could check the FAQs in the mean time, but definitely call tomorrow.

So if you don't get considered for PhD, you'll still be considered for just MD? I see! Yes, I'll definitely call tomorrow haha thank you :)

UGH, such an easy secondary. Guess its a rejection if we didn't get secondaries rn?

So if you don't get considered for PhD, you'll still be considered for just MD? I see! Yes, I'll definitely call tomorrow haha thank you :)

I looked up the FAQs on the PRIME and this is one of the answers:
"Q: What if I don’t get into PRIME-US?
A: There are many students at UCSF and the JMP who are committed to improving the health and health care of underserved populations. PRIME-US is just one program that takes advantage of the many available resources and opportunities."

Sounds like you will still be considered for MD - but call to be sure.

many posts about getting a secondary, but was anyone able to actually post the question/word counts? Couldn't find them anywhere :O

Thanks for any advice!

@gyngyn

@dfa1513 :D

If I am planning to apply for the military HPSP scholarship, should I list myself as "expect to be on active duty" on the secondary application? @Armyhealth or anyone else familiar with HPSP.

You won't be on active duty, you will be in the Inactive Ready Reserve during medical school. Saying you would be on active duty would sound like you would have commitments during school and that is not accurate.

UGH, such an easy secondary. Guess its a rejection if we didn't get secondaries rn?

Not at all. When I applied 2 cycles ago, I received one in like late August despite submitting my AMCAS within the 1st hour of it opening.

It's totally random, they just take a lot of time to get through the screen since it's pretty holistic.

I heard from the MSTP office - everyone was on vacation last week, so I think we should all have patience on the secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I heard from the MSTP office - everyone was on vacation last week, so I think we should all have patience on the secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I like it that they all go on vacation before having to evaluate all our primaries... Makes me hope they'll feel inclined to be generous with the secondaries :angelic:

I like it that they all go on vacation before having to evaluate all our primaries... Makes me hope they'll feel inclined to be generous with the secondaries :angelic:

Just got a secondary! MSTP applicant.

Secondary received! Now I can stop pretending to be patient. :smuggrin:

Anyone know anything about the MS/MD UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program?

Last edited:
Haven't gotten mine, yet. I did accidentally clear my spam email, but I'm pretty sure they aren't ending up there. Looking forward to it!

Secondary received! Now I can stop pretending to be patient. :smuggrin:

Anyone know anything about the MS/MD UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program?

From what I have read so far, you are in a cohort of 16 students for 2 years at UC Berkeley for preclinical then UCSF 2years

Just commenting to get on this thread. Good luck to all!

Just got the secondary a couple hours ago!

Reactions: 3 users
Can we assume rejection if we haven't received a secondary or is it still too early?