2017-2018 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't it more important to look at if a program is capable of producing physicians who are well prepared to enter the field, and are able to match into their desired fields?

If a program accomplishes this, what difference does it make if it has a lower MCAT average in its matriculants, other than not looking elite?

Absolutely agreed. Some friends went to Ross and other Caribbean schools, went through the hardship of finding clinical rotations here in Florida. They all finished their desired residency (anesthesia, ped. neurology). They are all doing well now.

But coming back to UCF vs FSU, don't you hate UCF to be mentioned in the same league as FSU?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Absolutely agreed. Some friends went to Ross and other Caribbean schools, went through the hardship of finding clinical rotations here in Florida. They all finished their desired residency (anesthesia, ped. neurology). They are all doing well now.

But coming back to UCF vs FSU, don't you hate UCF to be mentioned in the same league as FSU?
Actually I'm an FSU alum so no. I think like every program, both have strengths and weakness, maybe some more than others. I've applied to both, and I'd be pleased to attend either.

Reactions: 2 users

Where's all this hate for FSU coming from? They're a school that educates doctors to serve the needs of Florida just like every other medical school in the state, and from the doctors I've met that graduated there, they seem to do a damn good job.

I applied to both schools as well and would be proud to attend either one.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
513 is the top 25% for matticulants not 517 your numbers are off.
There is much discussion on UCLA 508. Most discussion point to reporting error on MSAR.

75% 517, 90% 521 (bottom 10% 500, bottom 25% 503, 75% 517, 90% 521) Most people point to the inconsistency of 508 last year to previous thirty year's numbers. Even if the reported data is accurate, it does not look right.

Either error in reporting; or some grand change in admission policy to feel lucky on many, many 500 average students. Most think it is very unlikely, you don't drop from 515 to 508 for entire class profile in one year.

Last edited:
Where's all this hate for FSU coming from? They're a school that educates doctors to serve the needs of Florida just like every other medical school in the state, and from the doctors I've met that graduated there, they seem to do a damn good job.

I applied to both schools as well and would be proud to attend either one.

I definitely agree and would also be proud to attend either.

Since when does the average accepted MCAT score mean that all the students move on to become amazing physicians, anyway? In all honesty, succeeding is more about the person..there are many doctors out there who did poorly on the MCAT and are better physicians in the REAL WORLD than others who did amazingly well on the MCAT. I personally know someone who had a very high MCAT score, finished top of his class in medical school, and then failed in practice.

It's easy to become jaded about MCAT scores, but when comparing schools, I think it's best to look at how well they will prepare you and not worry about the MCAT scores that they accept. :)

Consider this: The MSAR is always one application year behind. This means that the numbers that you now see are from current second year medical class. That was the first year of the new MCAT. The MSAR only reported the new MCAT, it is likely that only about 1/3 (or less) of the members of most of those new classes took the new MCAT, so we are missing a big piece of the puzzle. Some programs targeted big "new" MCAT numbers, some did not. Neither MCAT nor the programs know what the new MCAT really means in the performance of students in their medical curriculum. The next MSAR in April 2018 will reflect another admissions class that is likely composed of 2/3 new MCAT scores, and of course the current admissions year will be 90% or more new MCAT. I know some programs were focusing very strongly on the highest new MCAT scores and maybe not so much on the GPA and personal characteristics. You can look at the MSAR for all of these factors. When you do that you will see that once again UCF, UM, and UF are slightly above the rest of a fairly equal pack.

While looking at the entering class has some value, the real value is in the outcomes of the graduating classes. In this regard you have national board exams (Step 1/2) and Match lists to consider. These two factors are also moving targets. You have know way to determine the board scores and must rely on programs to tell you, or infer to how they are doing. I always hear applicants tell me that nearly all programs say that they are above the national average -- I am no genius, but I suspect there may be some questionable integrity here because every program cant be above the average (hopefully mathematicians in the group can corroborate this?.) Match lists are also somewhat subjective in that most people do not know how to differentiate between a good and a better match list. Also match lists are a reflection of a student's choice so you may see a match in an odd place and say "Oohhhh, poor guy, he really got bagged." But you don't know that this could have been his top choice, maybe he is from that area, has family there, or even if that may be one of the top spots in that nation for that specialty. From what I can tell that average match rate for a majority of M.D. programs is in the high 90%....around 98% I am told. There is one national report that each program receives that tells the story after the match. It compares the program's match outcomes, board scores, research, etc and then places them in a quartile (~ 36 programs). UCF has consistently been in the upper quartile of the nation in this report and in fact, based on the math, it would appear that we are in the upper portion of that upper quartile. So it isn't about the entering stats, though UCF has been consistently been strong in the composite of stats, it is about more about the program's ability to support you in your interest's and prepare you for the next step. It is about outcomes and your peers. It is about curriculum and costs. For some it is about being close to family, or multiple clinical assets for training purposes (you see more methods and systems, and different cases and patients, this makes you more adaptable). It is also about down-time, teamwork, faculty, advanced learning facilities, and diversely talented peers from backgrounds that span academic and cultural interests. I could go on, but I won't because the short answer is that you will know the best program for you when you visit it. There is a best place for you and you may be surprised where you find it. Don't limit yourself and listen to folk lore any longer. Happy Hunting!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Consider this: The MSAR is always one application year behind. This means that the numbers that you now see are from current second year medical class. That was the first year of the new MCAT. The MSAR only reported the new MCAT, it is likely that only about 1/3 (or less) of the members of most of those new classes took the new MCAT, so we are missing a big piece of the puzzle. Some programs targeted big "new" MCAT numbers, some did not. Neither MCAT nor the programs know what the new MCAT really means in the performance of students in their medical curriculum. The next MSAR in April 2018 will reflect another admissions class that is likely composed of 2/3 new MCAT scores, and of course the current admissions year will be 90% or more new MCAT. I know some programs were focusing very strongly on the highest new MCAT scores and maybe not so much on the GPA and personal characteristics. You can look at the MSAR for all of these factors. When you do that you will see that once again UCF, UM, and UF are slightly above the rest of a fairly equal pack.

While looking at the entering class has some value, the real value is in the outcomes of the graduating classes. In this regard you have national board exams (Step 1/2) and Match lists to consider. These two factors are also moving targets. You have know way to determine the board scores and must rely on programs to tell you, or infer to how they are doing. I always hear applicants tell me that nearly all programs say that they are above the national average -- I am no genius, but I suspect there may be some questionable integrity here because every program cant be above the average (hopefully mathematicians in the group can corroborate this?.) Match lists are also somewhat subjective in that most people do not know how to differentiate between a good and a better match list. Also match lists are a reflection of a student's choice so you may see a match in an odd place and say "Oohhhh, poor guy, he really got bagged." But you don't know that this could have been his top choice, maybe he is from that area, has family there, or even if that may be one of the top spots in that nation for that specialty. From what I can tell that average match rate for a majority of M.D. programs is in the high 90%....around 98% I am told. There is one national report that each program receives that tells the story after the match. It compares the program's match outcomes, board scores, research, etc and then places them in a quartile (~ 36 programs). UCF has consistently been in the upper quartile of the nation in this report and in fact, based on the math, it would appear that we are in the upper portion of that upper quartile. So it isn't about the entering stats, though UCF has been consistently been strong in the composite of stats, it is about more about the program's ability to support you in your interest's and prepare you for the next step. It is about outcomes and your peers. It is about curriculum and costs. For some it is about being close to family, or multiple clinical assets for training purposes (you see more methods and systems, and different cases and patients, this makes you more adaptable). It is also about down-time, teamwork, faculty, advanced learning facilities, and diversely talented peers from backgrounds that span academic and cultural interests. I could go on, but I won't because the short answer is that you will know the best program for you when you visit it. There is a best place for you and you may be surprised where you find it. Don't limit yourself and listen to folk lore any longer. Happy Hunting!!!

This is the best description of what to look for in a medical school that I have read in a really long time. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: 1 users

Wonderfully said!

Very refreshing, very crispy assurance. REL, kudos to you.

EFI status! Woohoo!

I'm guessing it came sometime today but I haven't checked the portal since last week.

EFI status! Woohoo!

I'm guessing it came sometime today but I haven't checked the portal since last week.

I just made EFI status too! I know it doesn't guarantee an interview but I am excited to reach this milestone since UCF is my first choice!

@TexMex1020, I'm Tex-Mex as well! Where in Texas are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made EFI status too! I know it doesn't guarantee an interview but I am excited to reach this milestone since UCF is my first choice!

@TexMex1020, I'm Tex-Mex as well! Where in Texas are you from?

I'm actually from the midwest! But I love Texas, hence the username lol. Congrats on EFI status! I hope more good news follows for us

Reactions: 1 user
Is it bad news if you've had the EFI status since August but haven't heard anything back yet.. :(

Is it bad news if you've had the EFI status since August but haven't heard anything back yet.. :(
No! It explicitly says on the portal that EFI does not guarantee that you'll be selected for an interview, and that they have interviews up until March 3rd. You could get an II anytime from now until then!

Reactions: 3 users
No! It explicitly says on the portal that EFI does not guarantee that you'll be selected for an interview, and that they have interviews up until March 3rd. You could get an II anytime from now until then!

I know..it just feels like i've been waiting for the longest time like no interview but no reject from most schools so im still waiting in silence

I know..it just feels like i've been waiting for the longest time like no interview but no reject from most schools so im still waiting in silence
It's still early. Stay positive :)

Does any who interviewed 9/15 have any feedback they'd like to share??

I wanted to get some opinions from everyone regarding what you think my chances of getting an interview are. I will preface by stating I received the EFI in August at some point and I will list my stats below.

- Bachelor of Science Biomedical Engineering (UF): Cumulative GPA: 3.72, BCPM GPA: 3.64
- MCAT 2016: 501
- Master of Science Biomedical Engineering (UF): Cumulative GPA: 3.94, BCPM GPA: 3.96
- MCAT 2017: 497 (Wasn't expecting a worse performance and I am not proud of this score. Although I have never performed well on standardized tests)
- Current MBA student
- Shadowing, medical volunteering, non-medical volunteering, international volunteering, leadership, mentoring, etc (Solid extracurricular activity section)

I would be interested in hearing what people think of the chances of getting an interview even if your thoughts are negative.

Thanks!

I wanted to get some opinions from everyone regarding what you think my chances of getting an interview are. I will preface by stating I received the EFI in August at some point and I will list my stats below.

- Bachelor of Science Biomedical Engineering (UF): Cumulative GPA: 3.72, BCPM GPA: 3.64
- MCAT 2016: 501
- Master of Science Biomedical Engineering (UF): Cumulative GPA: 3.94, BCPM GPA: 3.96
- MCAT 2017: 497 (Wasn't expecting a worse performance and I am not proud of this score. Although I have never performed well on standardized tests)
- Current MBA student
- Shadowing, medical volunteering, non-medical volunteering, international volunteering, leadership, mentoring, etc (Solid extracurricular activity section)

I would be interested in hearing what people think of the chances of getting an interview even if your thoughts are negative.

Thanks!
I would be worried about that MCAT. Your GPAs are good, and if you have EFI, I believe that usually signals you've passed the "first" number cutoff.

Unless you have a really good secondary, I would be cautious about getting your hopes up.

Did you apply to FSU? They have a lower MCAT mean, so you might do better in their process.

I would be worried about that MCAT. Your GPAs are good, and if you have EFI, I believe that usually signals you've passed the "first" number cutoff.

Unless you have a really good secondary, I would be cautious about getting your hopes up.

Did you apply to FSU? They have a lower MCAT mean, so you might do better in their process.

Yea I applied to every Florida school for the cycle. I can't get my head wrapped around why the MCAT is weighted so heavily. Standardized exams don't equate to intelligence according to research. Oh well I guess thats just how things are....

Yea I applied to every Florida school for the cycle. I can't get my head wrapped around why the MCAT is weighted so heavily. Standardized exams don't equate to intelligence according to research. Oh well I guess thats just how things are....
I think it's because the path to becoming a physician and continuing to practice medicine is full of standardized exams: you have step1, step2, shelf exams, plus boards and the subsequent certification exams. It's probably more of a gamble to choose candidates who do "poorly" on the MCAT because there's not necessarily as high of a chance that they will pass all the exams, which is one of the bigger things a med school wants in a med student. Sure, MCAT score might not correlate with intelligence or physician quality, but unfortunately it can be used as a predictor of how well you'll do on future important exams as a med student and as a physician.

Or at least, that's my best guess.

I think it's because the path to becoming a physician and continuing to practice medicine is full of standardized exams: you have step1, step2, shelf exams, plus boards and the subsequent certification exams. It's probably more of a gamble to choose candidates who do "poorly" on the MCAT because there's not necessarily as high of a chance that they will pass all the exams, which is one of the bigger things a med school wants in a med student. Sure, MCAT score might not correlate with intelligence or physician quality, but unfortunately it can be used as a predictor of how well you'll do on future important exams as a med student and as a physician.

Or at least, that's my best guess.
Actually, MCAT scores have been shown to have a very low correlation with board scores (Step). The people who make the MCAT, the AAMC, have themselves said that anyone who scores a 500 is ready to handle medical school. Past that point, the MCAT loses its predictive value.

The section that has been shown to have the strongest correlation is CARS, but it's still a pretty low correlation.

The only reason why MCAT scores are used so heavily in admissions is because there aren't enough seats for the amount of applicants: they have to use something to cut people out. That's why MCAT scores and GPAs for admitted students rise every year; less seats = raise the bar. ~ 10 years ago, a 3.5 and a 30 MCAT could carry you to the top 20 schools. Now, someone with those stats has probably about a 50% admissions chance at any school.

Actually, MCAT scores have been shown to have a very low correlation with board scores (Step). The people who make the MCAT, the AAMC, have themselves said that anyone who scores a 500 is ready to handle medical school. Past that point, the MCAT loses its predictive value.

The section that has been shown to have the strongest correlation is CARS, but it's still a pretty low correlation.

The only reason why MCAT scores are used so heavily in admissions is because there aren't enough seats for the amount of applicants: they have to use something to cut people out. That's why MCAT scores and GPAs for admitted students rise every year; less seats = raise the bar. ~ 10 years ago, a 3.5 and a 30 MCAT could carry you to the top 20 schools. Now, someone with those stats has probably about a 50% admissions chance at any school.
I applied last cycle to UF and UM due to personal family reasons. I was obviously turned down by both. Called UM for the follow up review and the individual who seen my app was blown away by the quality of my app. He said to me that even if I didn't improve he would be shocked if I didn't at least get an interview there (he has served on their admissions board for 7 years according to what he said). Now I know I did worse the second time so I'm not holding any weight with that but another thing he told me rings true with what you stated. He said that he hates standardized tests and wishes that it wouldn't be a consideration for medical school admissions. He said unfortunately it would take a school like Harvard or Stanford to make that first step for others to follow suite. I have applied to every school this cycle and I think if my application actually gets in front of the eyes of someone and beyond electronic filters I may stand a chance for an interview somewhere.

I didn't know that! I'm glad I posted--learned something new today. :)

I applied last cycle to UF and UM due to personal family reasons. I was obviously turned down by both. Called UM for the follow up review and the individual who seen my app was blown away by the quality of my app. He said to me that even if I didn't improve he would be shocked if I didn't at least get an interview there (he has served on their admissions board for 7 years according to what he said). Now I know I did worse the second time so I'm not holding any weight with that but another thing he told me rings true with what you stated. He said that he hates standardized tests and wishes that it wouldn't be a consideration for medical school admissions. He said unfortunately it would take a school like Harvard or Stanford to make that first step for others to follow suite. I have applied to every school this cycle and I think if my application actually gets in front of the eyes of someone and beyond electronic filters I may stand a chance for an interview somewhere.

I hope you get the chance to show them who you are! The rest of your app looks great, and clearly you have persistence and dedication, so best of luck in this cycle!

I hope you get the chance to show them who you are! The rest of your app looks great, and clearly you have persistence and dedication, so best of luck in this cycle!
Thank you! Best of luck to you as well :)

Did anyone decide to not do the optional essay in their secondary application? I'm curious to know how admissions committee would view my application if I don't complete it.

Last edited:
Did anyone decide to not do the optional essay in their secondary application? I'm curious to know how admissions committee would view my application if I don't complete it.
Do you mean question 19? I left it blank - the other questions covered everything I wanted them to know. I am interviewing in a few weeks.

Those types of questions were always the hardest for me, but this application seemed thorough and very fair.

Do you mind if I ask when you applied last year? I submitted secondaries mid-late august and am pretty worried that I was too late based on posts on this forum.

Thanks! Any advice for anyone with interviews coming??
Yes, absolutely! Best advice is to not stress at all and look forward to it because it is actually a pretty fun day. The 2 interviews will of course be the more stressful part of the day, however, they are nothing to worry about. If you are a genuinely nice person than all you have to do is answer each question truthfully and you will have no problem. The interviewers are honestly just trying to get to know you and are not trying to stump you on a question. Two important things UCF will want to know about you are your answer to "Why UCF?" as well as you interest in research. Hope this helps!

@REL Would you be willing, or able, to share how many interview invitations have been issued so far and how many you anticipate issuing overall?

@REL Would you be willing, or able, to share how many interview invitations have been issued so far and how many you anticipate issuing overall?
Every year we interview between 425-450, off the top I would say that we have issued about 100 interview invitations.

Reactions: 9 users
Hello and good luck to everyone in the current application cycle!

I'm a current 1st Year non-traditional student at UCF. I was able to have lunch with some of the interviewees yesterday and wanted to reach out to others to answer any questions you may have. REL is an outstanding resource and is very translucent about the whole process. Best of luck to all of you, I hope to see you at the future interview luncheons!

Hello and good luck to everyone in the current application cycle!

I'm a current 1st Year non-traditional student at UCF. I was able to have lunch with some of the interviewees yesterday and wanted to reach out to others to answer any questions you may have. REL is an outstanding resource and is very translucent about the whole process. Best of luck to all of you, I hope to see you at the future interview luncheons!

@StaphMember Hello! I'm non-traditional as well. During the first two years of module based learning, are there many research opportunities available? If so, do you see any joint research projects with Nemours that students can take part in? One of the biggest reasons I want to attend UCF is because of their integration with the Nemours Foundation. I know UCF has clerkship opportunities with Nemours but I have had a difficult time finding information on research opportunities with them for UCF medical students.

@StaphMember Hello! I'm non-traditional as well. During the first two years of module based learning, are there many research opportunities available? If so, do you see any joint research projects with Nemours that students can take part in? One of the biggest reasons I want to attend UCF is because of their integration with the Nemours Foundation. I know UCF has clerkship opportunities with Nemours but I have had a difficult time finding information on research opportunities with them for UCF medical students.

One of the main reasons for my application and eventual decision to UCF was based on the research experience they've built into the curriculum. Coming from a research based grad program that I loved, I didn't want to feel like I'd have to make sacrifices to pursue further research and I felt that was the case at many other schools. You'll find that UCF has an entire 2 year course called FIRE that is designed so all students get some level of research experience within their first two years. There are plenty of opportunities for projects with Nemours, however these are subject to the availability of the physicians acting as FIRE mentors.

Within the first week of class, we had FIRE mentor fairs where community physicians and others would come to discuss their work/current projects with students. Nemours had about 4 physicians represented at each of the 3 gatherings. Most were in specialized fields, but all seemed eager to work with new students. If you'd like some more info, I'd be happy to discuss it with you in a private message so as not to bury the posts of this thread. I hope that answers your question.

One of the main reasons for my application and eventual decision to UCF was based on the research experience they've built into the curriculum. Coming from a research based grad program that I loved, I didn't want to feel like I'd have to make sacrifices to pursue further research and I felt that was the case at many other schools. You'll find that UCF has an entire 2 year course called FIRE that is designed so all students get some level of research experience within their first two years. There are plenty of opportunities for projects with Nemours, however these are subject to the availability of the physicians acting as FIRE mentors.

Within the first week of class, we had FIRE mentor fairs where community physicians and others would come to discuss their work/current projects with students. Nemours had about 4 physicians represented at each of the 3 gatherings. Most were in specialized fields, but all seemed eager to work with new students. If you'd like some more info, I'd be happy to discuss it with you in a private message so as not to bury the posts of this thread. I hope that answers your question.
@StaphMember Thank you for taking the time to offer the information!

I feel like it has been a minute since anyone has received an interview from here.

Also, I know at some state schools IS are interviewed earlier than OOS. Is UCF similar or is it just as apps are reviewed?

Every year we interview between 425-450, off the top I would say that we have issued about 100 interview invitations.
I'm sorry if you've had this question asked before! But at a first glance, I wasn't able to locate an answer. I currently live outside of Florida, but will be visiting my mother in December. How receptive is UCF to in the area emails? I haven't been AORTA for too long, maybe a month or so. If it's not an option, no problem, just wanted to check! :)

I'm sorry if you've had this question asked before! But at a first glance, I wasn't able to locate an answer. I currently live outside of Florida, but will be visiting my mother in December. How receptive is UCF to in the area emails? I haven't been AORTA for too long, maybe a month or so. If it's not an option, no problem, just wanted to check! :)
This has been answered on this thread already this year, but again, yes we would like to know because we understand cost, the burden of travel etc. We will provide any requests to the committee for their consideration. As far as your AORTA/EFI status, it is a near terminal status. You can "select" the status at your UCF portal to gain an understanding of the status and the follow-on possibilities. I wish you well.

This has been answered on this thread already this year, but again, yes we would like to know because we understand cost, the burden of travel etc. We will provide any requests to the committee for their consideration. As far as your AORTA/EFI status, it is a near terminal status. You can "select" the status at your UCF portal to gain an understanding of the status and the follow-on possibilities. I wish you well.
My apologies! I'll try to be more thorough in searching next time. Thank you so much for the feedback, REL. Your presence here is making all the difference for those applying to UCF, and we appreciate what you do :)

My apologies! I'll try to be more thorough in searching next time. Thank you so much for the feedback, REL. Your presence here is making all the difference for those applying to UCF, and we appreciate what you do :)
The decisions that are being made by both applicant and program are huge and for a lifetime. The process should be an open conversation so that both parties have a full understanding of all that is available and at stake. The more an applicant knows the better the transaction will be. Most programs make you focus on the entry point to medical school (entry data, etc.), the real focal point should be on the exit from the MD program to residency. The journey is important but he destination is what you will have to live with.

Reactions: 17 users
The decisions that are being made by both applicant and program are huge and for a lifetime. The process should be an open conversation so that both parties have a full understanding of all that is available and at stake. The more an applicant knows the better the transaction will be. Most programs make you focus on the entry point to medical school (entry data, etc.), the real focal point should be on the exit from the MD program to residency. The journey is important but he destination is what you will have to live with.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Rel drops truth bombs every time he speaks :O

Reactions: 10 users
AORTA-EFI. My heart just sank a little. I know the chances are still slim. But my hopes are high. FIRST CHOICE SCHOOL AND I LOVE ORLANDO!!!

Reactions: 6 users