2017-2018 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe what specific resources or opportunities offered by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine you intend to utilize as a medical student and explain how these are consistent with your own interests. Please consider the uniqueness of our opportunities, our institution, our city, or our mission. (2000 characters)

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my undergraduate school so hopefully they show me some love this app season!

Members don't see this ad :)
In for the ride OOS checking in.

Reactions: 1 user
Rising M1 here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the program! I haven't started classes there yet but I did some extensive research into UCCOM before I committed.

Rising M1 here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the program! I haven't started classes there yet but I did some extensive research into UCCOM before I committed.
How many OOS were accepted last cycle and were you OOS or IS? Mind sharing your stats?

How many OOS were accepted last cycle and were you OOS or IS? Mind sharing your stats?
By last cycle if you mean 2016-2017, I'm not sure, but I would think that information will be out soon...the class profile info is here (Class Profile - ..WB1PRD01W-Med.uc.edu)

So based off last year's incoming class it looks like 35% were out of state.
I personally am also out of state. I had a LizzyM score of about a 74.

Aside from the ties with Cincy Children's, what do you think is the strength of UC's program? (I know CCHMC is amazing, just curious what you perceive other areas of strength to be)

Aside from the ties with Cincy Children's, what do you think is the strength of UC's program? (I know CCHMC is amazing, just curious what you perceive other areas of strength to be)
The entire medical center is pretty well known. They have a good reputation. They also have many residency and fellowship programs so if you wanted to stay on in the same medical center that is definitely a pro. I know they also have tons of research opportunities and are highly ranked for both research as well as primary care.
The curriculum itself has a focus on nutrition which I feel is really useful. UC also has a Medical Student Scholars Program where if you want you can learn more about a topic in depth (includes but isn't limited to topics like nutrition, psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience, neuroscience) by partaking in activities like guided research, shadowing, and/or attending discussions and journal clubs.

UC also has a Medical Student Scholars Program where if you want you can learn more about a topic in depth (includes but isn't limited to topics like nutrition, psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience, neuroscience) by partaking in activities like guided research, shadowing, and/or attending discussions and journal clubs.
Is their medical Spanish program considered one of these? Do you apply/join these after matriculation, or during the application process?

Is their medical Spanish program considered one of these? Do you apply/join these after matriculation, or during the application process?
Based on the website (University of Cincinnati College of Medicine | Medical Student Scholars Program - ..WB1PRD01W-Med.uc.edu) medical Spanish is not currently one of the MSSP offerings, but I know that there is a longitudinal program in medical Spanish, the medical Spanish elective. For the MSSP I believe you apply after you matriculate.

Secondary received.

Briefly describe what specific resources or opportunities offered by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine you intend to utilize as a medical student and explain how these are consistent with your own interests. Please consider the uniqueness of our opportunities, our institution, our city, or our mission. (2000 characters)

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 characters)

@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was perusing their website and discovered their secondary portal was open. I just submitted the UC secondary and checked my application status only to discover my primary application status is listed as "unreceived". Other schools have received my verified application, and I double checked that I did send one to UC. Their portal allowed me to create an account with my AAMC ID and submit my secondary... should I be concerned? I emailed them, but I just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else!

I was perusing their website and discovered their secondary portal was open. I just submitted the UC secondary and checked my application status only to discover my primary application status is listed as "unreceived". Other schools have received my verified application, and I double checked that I did send one to UC. Their portal allowed me to create an account with my AAMC ID and submit my secondary... should I be concerned? I emailed them, but I just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else!
It was like that for me for ~20 minutes but then updated & said it was received! So I'd guess your problem is already resolved.

You should wait until you receive an "invite" from a school before submitting any secondary for that school. Especially if they screen.

Anyone not receive this secondary? Are we supposed to do it on our own without an invite (like Baylor)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I somehow received a secondary before being verified. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just an error?

I somehow received a secondary before being verified. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just an error?

For me it's saying the same thing, but I know I am verified (through AMCAS and everywhere else...) so idk what's up.

I got arrested for drinking at a tailgate once freshmen year. I did a pre-trial intervention and it all got dropped. Am I sunk? :( How should I go about writing that prompt?

For me it's saying the same thing, but I know I am verified (through AMCAS and everywhere else...) so idk what's up.
I mean I was not verified by AMCAS until yesterday, had a secondary before that. So there is no way they saw anything from me yet, just that I was applying.

How long does it take before your username becomes active? I signed up and got a username, but it won't let me log into the secondary because "unable to find username"

I had that problem and it took the system like half an hour before I was able to log on. I also got lost in all of the links in all of the emails so that didn't help.

What kind of extracurricular activities are available at UCCOM? Such as volunteer, club, for fun, research..

What kind of extracurricular activities are available at UCCOM? Such as volunteer, club, for fun, research..
There is a service learning project that everyone has to do. That involves engaging with the community in various ways-they give you many options.
There are also several student organizations, like those associated with diversity, or a specific branch of medicine, and many more.
I've heard research opportunities are plenty. When I came and talked to students here, I got the impression that it is easy to get involved. They have formal programs like MSSP or you can get involved informally as well. They have research in many different fields.
From what I've heard, there are cool places around the city where students hang out. It seems like a pretty vibrant city.

Last edited:
Would you say that the school has a focus for medically underserved communities? What is the patient population like at UC Medical Center?

If it all got dropped from your record (and a background check would confirm) then you don't need to write anything.
Thats not true. They say "please include information even if charges have been dropped or dismissed" so you need to include it

Would you say that the school has a focus for medically underserved communities? What is the patient population like at UC Medical Center?
Not a student, but from the area. There is a significant amount of underserved patients in Cincinnati. Mostly African-American, with a large Guatemalan immigrant population as well.

Hi all! A couple questions for you, especially @honey0102 (thanks so much for all the helpful info so far!)

1) Is UCCOM a rolling admissions school? And on a related note, is there a recommended turnaround time to get the secondary in? I received it a week ago and it's admittedly on my back burner.

2) What would you say are the research strengths of UCCOM? I've looked into the Medical Student Scholars Program and I know the Children's Hospital is amazing. I was curious about cancer research for med students in particular.

3) What would you say are the most emphasized kinds of extracurriculars at UCCOM? Volunteering? Research? Artsy stuff? And by service learning requirement, do you mean these groups here? http://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/PDFdocuments/MedMentor/AAMC.2007.pdf

Thanks so much!

Hi all! A couple questions for you, especially @honey0102 (thanks so much for all the helpful info so far!)

1) Is UCCOM a rolling admissions school? And on a related note, is there a recommended turnaround time to get the secondary in? I received it a week ago and it's admittedly on my back burner.

2) What would you say are the research strengths of UCCOM? I've looked into the Medical Student Scholars Program and I know the Children's Hospital is amazing. I was curious about cancer research for med students in particular.

3) What would you say are the most emphasized kinds of extracurriculars at UCCOM? Volunteering? Research? Artsy stuff? And by service learning requirement, do you mean these groups here? http://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/PDFdocuments/MedMentor/AAMC.2007.pdf

Thanks so much!
Glad to help!

1. From what I understand they do have an Early Decision Program. If you apply for that, then you'll find out your decision earlier than otherwise (Application Timeline - ..WB1PRD02W-med.uc.edu). I'm not 100% sure if it is or isn't rolling admissions, but from reading SDN last year, I know that people who submitted after me, in at least some cases, got interviews before me. However, it generally is recommended, for med school apps in general, to get them in early-from personal experience and with friends and with multiple med schools, getting them in earlier did, in general (but not always), lead to faster decisions. Do any of the e-mails or the portal reflect a timeframe or due date? If not, I'd aim for 1-3 weeks.
2. You are right-pediatrics research is really good, and I know another area of focus is obesity research. Cancer research is also prominent here, there are many opportunities and lots of funding. For some examples, look at this booklet (search for the word "cancer"): https://med.uc.edu/docs/default-sou.../com-research-annual-report-2016.pdf?sfvrsn=4
3. I'm not sure that any one area is more emphasized than any other area as much as that leeway is left to students. Many people I talked to did do a lot of research but it seemed to me that it was by choice, and the school then supported them in that. As for that link, I personally haven't seen it before-it's possible they'll show us during orientation, but it did also seem from the URL that it's from 2007 so I'm not sure how much has changed. But it's definitely possible many if not all of those organizations still exist. The examples we were given included helping enhance neighborhood health, helping with food insecurity, engaging with public health, school/student health, etc. It looks to me like some of the examples on that brochure are student organizations.

Hey everyone, rising M2 here. Feel free to ask me any questions you have! Tag me here or PM me.

To give another perspective on some questions that have already been posed:

The curriculum itself has a focus on nutrition which I feel is really useful.

Unless this kicks in second year, I don't think this is true. Our nutrition classes have been extremely minimal (probably on par with most other med schools).

Is their medical Spanish program considered one of these?

Med Spanish is indeed separate from the MSSP stuff. You can apply for that in winter/early spring of M1, although it is not competitive and this year, everyone who applied was accepted.

Aside from the ties with Cincy Children's, what do you think is the strength of UC's program?

@honey0102 mentioned some of the great opportunities already, but I just have to say that I think the biggest strength of UCCOM is the environment. My peers are all incredibly kind, smart, and interesting people. It's very co-operative, I don't find it competitive at all despite us being ranked. We all want everyone to succeed. And the administration is so supportive, they truly have your best interests in mind and will do everything they can to make sure you succeed.

Is UCCOM a rolling admissions school?

Yes.

What would you say are the research strengths of UCCOM?

Can't say much about cancer research, but in general the research opportunities here are fantastic. I would say most people end up doing research at Children's between M1/M2. And the best part is, the school is fantastic about helping you find funding, both for research and volunteering/internships, whatever you want to do. If you want research, you'll get research. If you want/need funding, you'll get funding.

As for your question about which activities are most emphasized, I would say that volunteering at free clinics is hugely popular here. Right now I think we have two free clinics that are run by med students, and we're working on opening a third that caters to the Hispanic population. Great opportunity to help the underserved and practice clinical stuff!

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted my secondary. On the MedOneStop portal, it doesn't show the AMCAS-related components of my application to be complete (LORs, MCAT score received). My MCAT score is definitely on my AMCAS app and on the MedOneStop portal it shows my individual letters of recommendation as being received, but I haven't received a complete checkmark for that part of the app. Anyone else having the same problem?

Just submitted my secondary. On the MedOneStop portal, it doesn't show the AMCAS-related components of my application to be complete (LORs, MCAT score received). My MCAT score is definitely on my AMCAS app and on the MedOneStop portal it shows my individual letters of recommendation as being received, but I haven't received a complete checkmark for that part of the app. Anyone else having the same problem?
It takes a little while for them to update your app to be complete.

It takes a little while for them to update your app to be complete.

Okay cool, just checking. Many of the other schools I applied to had those boxes checked when I first opened the secondary app

Has anyone gotten an II yet?

First interview date is at the end of August and they usually give like 2 weeks notice before the interview, so they should start sending them out soon.

My first II! In-state and complete 7/21

Reactions: 5 users
Ok, I know I;m over thinking this...
what do they mean by natural expression for the photo? Like neutral expression? Or can we smile? LOL

Ok, I know I;m over thinking this...
what do they mean by natural expression for the photo? Like neutral expression? Or can we smile? LOL
Pretty sure its just like a "we dont want to see any #$@!* duckfaces" or at least thats how i took it

Average Step 1 score at UC this year was a 241, if anyone's interested! And multiple 270+ scores. Pretty damn awesome!

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to those applying! This is an amazing school :)

Can anyone give some insight into the MMI process? I don't know much about it. Any tips about how to approach the questions / tackle the interview in general? Thanks everyone :)