2017-2018 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would echo this - it took me 6 years, 3 applications, and 2 MCATs to get the 1 MD acceptance I have, but it was so worth it. And in a metaphysical sense, I feel like this version of myself in this reality in which it took me this long is much better equipped to serve others as a physician than the alternate version of myself in the alternate reality that would have made it in the first time. That won't help to hear right now (trust me, I know), but it may well prove true in time. Furthermore, certain experiences that you may have in the interim may be places "you were meant to be", if you believe in fate/destiny/God/what-have-you. That was certainly the case for me.
Congratulations, so happy for you. I can imagine how glad you feel that you got where you wanted to be. I definitely believe that everything works out the way it’s supposed to, and I’m glad that seemed to be the case for you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone. The second years are off on dedicated Step1 study period, but I wanted to drop a couple of lines.

For those trying to decide between schools, please feel free to PM me or any of the other students. I was in the same seat having to decide between a number of schools both in-state and out-of-state, some of them being higher ranked and others being significantly cheaper. I do not regret my decision one bit. You can also email students you met on interview day, and if you didn't keep any emails, you can ask admissions for someone to chat with and they will give you contact info for someone on the AWC.

For those who are waiting to hear back post-II, I know that many of my classmates were accepted outright even with late interview dates, so you definitely did not "interview for the waitlist" as happens at some schools.

For those on the waitlist, two points to make:

1. As far as I know, nobody was accepted off of the waitlist last year. I think we actually enrolled more than in previous years and the CO2021 is bigger than usual but idk if that's factual. I would expect that admissions is going to compensate this year, so I'd be a bit surprised if there is no waitlist movement again.

2. UFCOM is very, very receptive to update letters / letters of interest. If you remain interested in the program, call or email the admissions office and let them know.

I was asked by PM my thought process behind choosing to attend UF over a higher-ranked school, but I feel that this advice could apply to anybody choosing between UF and another school.

The more difficult choice for me was deciding to turn down a higher ranking school to come to UF, though I'll admit the difference was not as large as 20 spots. UF is around a top-40 school which does help in the match process, although going to a Top-20 probably gives you a little bigger edge in the prestige department. However, if you look through our match list you'll see no lack of high-prestige matches. The clinical competence of UFCOM graduates is nationally recognized.

One thing about UF is that the Admissions office really likes to select students from diverse backgrounds, and many of those students don't really care for the prestige rat-race and thus tend to focus more on location and fit than prestige when it comes to selecting a residency program. We have older students with children and families. We have cancer survivors, veterans, career changers, D1 athletes, you name it. My classmates are badasses.

With that said, I chose UF over a higher ranking school for the following reasons:

1.) New medical school building and facilities, directly adjacent to a hospital. The building really speaks for itself as you saw on interview day. Study spaces abound. Coffee shops and food nearby. Lockers for students. Student lounge. Etc, etc.

2.) Proximity to the hospital. Rotations are almost ALL (with the exception of some outpatient services) at Shands-Gainesville, with some at Shands-JAX and others at the VA in Gainesville. You can do more at either Jax or the VA if you wish. Proximity is important for a number of reasons, convenience being a big one. One big benefit that is a bit harder to realize is the level of interaction with faculty and residents. Our interest group meetings often involve small group interactions with department chairs and residency program directors. I was taught how to perform a ventriculostomy (on a model) by the program director of the neurosurgery program, and taught how to put in pedicle screws (also on a model) by a legendary brain tumor surgeon. The chair of the anesthesiology department taught me how to place an IV a few months into first year. A very prominent pediatric surgeon attending taught me how to suture and tie knots. I had a beer with a couple of ENT residents the other day. I'm neighbors with a hand surgery fellow and a family med attending. Regular, casual, and collegiate interaction with your professors and future colleagues is so regular that I don't even think about it or realize it anymore. Field and industry leaders will walk across the street from the clinic, wards, or OR to come give us lectures.

3.) Residency programs and networking. This is probably not a significant difference between other high-ranking schools with academic hospital affiliations, but UF has residency and fellowship programs in every conceivable specialty except for PM&R. Super important for getting strong letters come the match. Again, with the hospital right across the street, networking is easy. In fact, the benefit is doubled because Shands- GNV and Shands-Jax both have independent residency programs with different focuses.

4.) This is the biggest reason. The culture and vibe of the school. UF was by far the most chill of all the schools I interviewed it. Not only in terms of recorded lectures, student wellness, and grading - these things are getting pretty ubiquitous. However, the student wellness initiative here is way more than the lip service other schools pay to it. UFCOM really cares and we show it. The really significant thing was the culture of the hospital and faculty. Attendings are all warm and friendly, used to teaching, and are really excited to work with med students. Even the surgeons - I did my two specialty preceptorships in surgical subspecialties and I scrubbed in as first-assist to every case. They treated me like a colleague. Administrators are very receptive to constructive feedback and are willing to actually DO SOMETHING in response to it.

5.) Diversity in patient populations. You really get exposed to every type of patient here. Shands-Gainesville serves a rural community but is also a massive quaternary care referral center. So you get the complex patients that nobody else can take care of, everywhere south of ATL and north of MIA. You also get to learn at rural clinics associated with UF. Regional burn center is in Gainesville. Gainesville and Jax are both Level 1 trauma centers. Gainesville just built a brand spanking new cardiovascular and neurovascular hospital. There's a Children's hospital with a less ED and helipad right by the med school. Jacksonville UF is a proton therapy center and is partnered withWolfsons children's hospital. Gainesville does neurosurgical procedures that Mayo Jax can't even touch. Shands-JAX serves an urban population - the ED sees gunshots, stabbings, high risk OB, you name it. It's the safety net hospital so you get the poorest of the poor. You also get to work at the VA within a model of "universal healthcare" of sorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do parents or guests typically attend second look or do most people go alone?

Do parents or guests typically attend second look or do most people go alone?

There's a good mix of both, but it seemed like there were more parents and guests than not, if I had to guess.

Seems like a pretty bimodal distribution for the schools reputation. The students who matched well, did very well, and those who did not match well, did not do very well. Maybe it is because Florida doesn't have that many great institutions and students wanted to stay in their home state? Maybe if those willing to move away, had better opportunities? And another worrying factor is that a lot of competitive specialties matched at UF which isn't the best of signs. However, can be a result of UF probably being the 1st or 2nd best hospital in Florida?

This is one of the reasons why "reading" match lists is often a facile endeavor. People make the assumption that everyone is gunning for ultra-competitive specialties or programs when this is not the case.

A surprising number of people in medical school - particularly in mid- and low-tier schools - just want to be doctors in minimally competitive specialties. If you don't want to do academics, why would you grind it out in med school to go to an academic program? Instead, people are more likely to choose programs based on other factors, namely location and "fit" with the program. Many people have family in the region - especially when you consider that a state school like UF has a lot of in-state students - and want to stay local.

There's a lot of self-selection at play. Those who are competitive and highly interested in academics are more likely to end up at high ranking medical schools in the first place.

The same thing applies to competitive specialties. If Hopkins only matched 0-1 ophthalmologists, does that make it a poor match? Or does it just mean that nobody in the class of however many people was interested in that specialty?

IMO when trying to interpret a match list, what you want to see is that some folks matched to competitive programs, and some folks matched to competitive specialties. That tells you that the school can help you accomplish your goals, whatever they may be. If a particular school matches very few people at academic/competitive programs, something might be up - either a poor reputation of clinical training or a lack of research - but if you interviewed there you should already know what the deficit ism

Just because 1 school matched 5 neurosurgeons 1 year and another matched only 1 doesn't mean that the former is the best school to go to if you want to be a neurosurgeon. It's more likely a function of the interests of the class. If you see a trend across recent years, that's a different story - but you need to expand your sample size to make that conclusion.

Reactions: 4 users
This is one of the reasons why "reading" match lists is often a facile endeavor. People make the assumption that everyone is gunning for ultra-competitive specialties or programs when this is not the case.

A surprising number of people in medical school - particularly in mid- and low-tier schools - just want to be doctors in minimally competitive specialties. If you don't want to do academics, why would you grind it out in med school to go to an academic program? Instead, people are more likely to choose programs based on other factors, namely location and "fit" with the program. Many people have family in the region - especially when you consider that a state school like UF has a lot of in-state students - and want to stay local.

There's a lot of self-selection at play. Those who are competitive and highly interested in academics are more likely to end up at high ranking medical schools in the first place.

The same thing applies to competitive specialties. If Hopkins only matched 0-1 ophthalmologists, does that make it a poor match? Or does it just mean that nobody in the class of however many people was interested in that specialty?

IMO when trying to interpret a match list, what you want to see is that some folks matched to competitive programs, and some folks matched to competitive specialties. That tells you that the school can help you accomplish your goals, whatever they may be. If a particular school matches very few people at academic/competitive programs, something might be up - either a poor reputation of clinical training or a lack of research - but if you interviewed there you should already know what the deficit ism

Just because 1 school matched 5 neurosurgeons 1 year and another matched only 1 doesn't mean that the former is the best school to go to if you want to be a neurosurgeon. It's more likely a function of the interests of the class. If you see a trend across recent years, that's a different story - but you need to expand your sample size to make that conclusion.

These have been my thoughts - we have no idea how people tried to match. I wish we could see how many got a match within their, say, top three choices. Regardless, I have quite a few friends who attended UF and matched very well, so my impression is that it certainly won’t be holding any of us back.

Umm so I was not making my judgement based on how many people are going into competitive specialties. I am VERY knowledgeable about most fields/residencies and I know which institutions are good for each specialty. For example, I know that a Mass Gen in IM is not the same thing as a Mass Gen in peds or a Cornell in Ortho (HSS) is not the same level as Cornell in Ophthalmology. Also, most people don't know that St. Joseph's is actually a top Neurosurgery program, and I acknowledge that UF has one of its students matching there. With that being said, I still think that UF's match list is pretty bimodal and I am NOT doing this to criticize UF. I know that it is a great institution!! And I agree with the post above, I do not think going to UF will hold anyone back by any means.

I didn't mean my comment as a direct attack on you, just expressing observations I've noticed on SDN on match day every year since I joined. I won't lie, I tried my hand at "interpreting" match lists when I was picking a school too. I just wanted to share some insights that I learned once starting med school and getting to know the diversity of the medical student population firsthand.

Reactions: 1 users
How strict is the “semi-formal or business formal” attire for the first night? I accidentally shrank my husband’s suit pants and so he doesn’t have a suit that fits. Can he wear a nice jacket and pants?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How strict is the “semi-formal or business formal” attire for the first night? I accidentally shrank my husband’s suit pants and so he doesn’t have a suit that fits. Can he wear a nice jacket and pants?

I'd say thats definitely fine. I'll probs just wear some khakis and a button up!

I got merit aid from another school but I want to attend UF... does anyone know if they are willing to match offers? Has anyone tried this? How should I go about it?

Thanks for the help!

I got merit aid from another school but I want to attend UF... does anyone know if they are willing to match offers? Has anyone tried this? How should I go about it?

Thanks for the help!

It's worth a shot. I tried, without luck. That was some time ago, but since then we've had some big scholarship drives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious how other ladies are interpreting "semi formal or business formal attire" for the event on Friday night. Should I just wear a business suit? Is a nice black dress (non skimpy!) appropriate?

Curious how other ladies are interpreting "semi formal or business formal attire" for the event on Friday night. Should I just wear a business suit? Is a nice black dress (non skimpy!) appropriate?

I was going to ask you I was thinking black non skimpy dress. Anyone else?

I was going to ask you I was thinking black non skimpy dress. Anyone else?

:laugh: I would prefer a dress, but I also don't want to be that girl that completely misinterprets the dress code.

:laugh: I would prefer a dress, but I also don't want to be that girl that completely misinterprets the dress code.

Let’s do it. Mine could be worn to an interview, so maybe it’s okay either way? At least there will be two of us!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Strength in numbers, haha. I like it!

I should add that my husband finally bought a suit this weekend at Kohl's - it ended up being less than $160 and looks great. We figured as people in our mid-30s he *should* have some kind of suit, am I right?

@sovereign0 - any suggestions on what is appropriate for women to wear to the Friday dinner at UF?

I’m planning on wearing a dress, too!

It's worth a shot. I tried, without luck. That was some time ago, but since then we've had some big scholarship drives.

I’m in the same position. I got some generous merit scholarships from other schools but UF is my top choice. Do you know if they contact you individually if you’ve been selected for merit scholarships? Or do you find out at Second Look with your financial award package?

I’m in the same position. I got some generous merit scholarships from other schools but UF is my top choice. Do you know if they contact you individually if you’ve been selected for merit scholarships? Or do you find out at Second Look with your financial award package?

From what I've heard we'll be getting our full packages at second look!

Some one posted this over at UCF section.

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

UCF: 32/114 = 28%
UM: 43/190 = 23%
UF: 27/130 = 21%
USF: 26/158 = 16%
FSU: 11/108 = 10%
FAU: NO DATA
FIU: NO DATA

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what percentage of people match into competitive specialities at each school in any particular year. The number of people who match into competitive specialties depends on the number of people who wanted to go into those specialties - so UF having a lower percentage of students matching into competitive specialties is much more likely because there were fewer students who wanted to go into those specialties. What's more important is how many students got into their first choice (or one of their first three choices) of residency spots in the match, and that data is nearly impossible to find. I've heard that the students who matched into competitive specialties at UF are going to some really impressive programs, and only 2 students didn't match this year. The person who posted this is worried about the wrong things and doesn't know how to interpret a match list (which is basically impossible to interpret anyway).

What you want to look for is people who have matched into the specialty that you are interested in sometime in the past few years (because some specialities have so few spots - like interventional radiology). Then see if some people have matched into some competitive programs. your ability to match into a competitive specialty will almost entirely depend on how hard you work in medical school and what kinds of connections you make along the way.

Reactions: 3 users

Is it true?

- Future Knight

If this data is derived from each schools match list.. it's highkey flawed... someone might score >240 and decide they want to match into a "noncompetitive" field..

Is it true?

- Future Knight

I encourage you (and all pre-meds and medical students) to read this post by @mimelim, who is an academic vascular surgeon regarding "reading" match lists:

How to "read" a school's match list?

Here is one thing I will mention: part of the reason that "competitive" specialties are competitive is because of their size. These fields tend to be small, and name recognition goes a long way. In addition to your research and step scores, letters of recommendation are very important. It's worth considering how easily a school will facilitate networking and finding a mentor in your field of interest. Not to mention that a lot of these competitive specialties will want letters from physicians in the field. If your school has a home program (UF has programs in everything except PM&R, and it's a double whammy because UF-Jax and UF-GNV programs are independent. So you've got two home programs.), you've got a PD with inside knowledge on your side. Not to mention all of Shands (including a peds hospital, cancer hospital, and new neuro/cardiovascular tower), and the VA are a 2 minute walk from the medical school - each with departments full of the people in your chosen field of interest.

With that said, considering that UCF still manages a competitive match, it's clear that not having a home program doesn't exclude you from a field. It just means you'll have to work harder to end up in the same place. If you want to have two department letters, at UF you just need to do an elective at home - with faculty who you know and who knows you - and then 1 away rotation. Whereas, at a school that lacks residency programs (UCF) you'd have to do two away rotation in foreign places.

And as others have mentioned, specialty distribution within the class is dependent on what people are actually interested in. 7% more people matched to competitive specialties, but that's because 7% more people were interested in matching to a competitive specialty. As you will learn in medical school from getting to know your classmates, the eternal chase after prestige burns out for a lot of people. At this point, most people are just ready to have families and live an adult life, and have no interest in continuing aggressive academic pursuits. The personalities of the class contributes to this too - more academic medical schools tend to attract more academic students.

In that sense, I feel like UF is unique because despite being an academic medical school and healthcare institute, the admissions committee is really good at attracting a class with broad interests. We definitely have people who are going to end up at "top 5" academic programs in competitive specialties, but we also have people who want to practice rural family medicine in their hometowns. We've got parents, new parents, and future parents. People who are just starting families. These people have no interest in doing Plastics at MGH, believe it or not, even if they get a 270 on step 1.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember what UF’s average Step 1 score is?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what percentage of people match into competitive specialities at each school in any particular year. The number of people who match into competitive specialties depends on the number of people who wanted to go into those specialties - so UF having a lower percentage of students matching into competitive specialties is much more likely because there were fewer students who wanted to go into those specialties. What's more important is how many students got into their first choice (or one of their first three choices) of residency spots in the match, and that data is nearly impossible to find. I've heard that the students who matched into competitive specialties at UF are going to some really impressive programs, and only 2 students didn't match this year. The person who posted this is worried about the wrong things and doesn't know how to interpret a match list (which is basically impossible to interpret anyway).

What you want to look for is people who have matched into the specialty that you are interested in sometime in the past few years (because some specialities have so few spots - like interventional radiology). Then see if some people have matched into some competitive programs. your ability to match into a competitive specialty will almost entirely depend on how hard you work in medical school and what kinds of connections you make along the way.

Took the words out of my mouth! At second look this past weekend they told us that current M4s were 2/2 in plastics and 3/3 in derm during the match this year. Having "only" three derm matches is most likely attributed to individual interests and not representative of class competitiveness.

UCF matched 7-8 derm, year after year, for past three years.

That is a reflection of class competitiveness/ institutional strength.

Not individual taste/ devotion, then?

That just means they had 7-8 people interested in derm and competitive enough to apply for it. Using number of derm matches to determine how strong a school is seems like an odd metric to me. What about all of the other people with high step scores who chose other specialties?

Last edited:
UCF matched 7-8 derm, year after year, for past three years.

That is a reflection of class competitiveness/ institutional strength.

Not individual taste/ devotion, then?

This just tells me they are attracting students who wish to go into derm (which may make for a more competitive atmosphere while in school).

Also, the original list forgot to include RadOnc - probably just as competitive as Derm and UF matched 3 this year into really good programs.

That just means they had 7-8 people interested in derm and competitive enough to apply for it. Using number of derm matches to determine how strong a school is seems like an odd metric to me. What about all of the other people with high step scores who chose other specialties?
Second this! Anecdotal evidence, but I can immediately think of a current UF 4th year student whose step score was above the averages for derm/ortho/etc, but who matched into IM to pursue their dream specialty. Personal interests remain a key unknown here.

Hey guys. Wondering specifically for Florida schools, is June 30 MCAT too late? I plan to submit my primary on June 1 and prewrite secondaries while I wait for my MCAT

Hey guys. Wondering specifically for Florida schools, is June 30 MCAT too late? I plan to submit my primary on June 1 and prewrite secondaries while I wait for my MCAT

I had friends who took it then and were accepted to multiple Florida schools this cycle.

You'll be receiving your score around July 31 or so, and that is still early for most medical schools. If you have completed your secondaries and gotten your letters of recommendation in by then, you should be fine.

OTOH, what is your plan for completing your application by June 1 while studying? I personally think that working on the AMCAS application can be a good study break from MCAT, but you also want to give the MCAT your best shot. I would hold off on secondaries until you take the MCAT. Since you won't be complete until the end of July, you'll have plenty of time to complete your secondaries starting July 1.

I was not complete at any schools until early to late August, and I do not believe that getting my application in any earlier would have changed the results of this application cycle. My GPA was significantly lower than the median at all the schools I applied to, but my MCAT was solid.

You'll be receiving your score around July 31 or so, and that is still early for most medical schools. If you have completed your secondaries and gotten your letters of recommendation in by then, you should be fine.

OTOH, what is your plan for completing your application by June 1 while studying? I personally think that working on the AMCAS application can be a good study break from MCAT, but you also want to give the MCAT your best shot. I would hold off on secondaries until you take the MCAT. Since you won't be complete until the end of July, you'll have plenty of time to complete your secondaries starting July 1.

I was not complete at any schools until early to late August, and I do not believe that getting my application in any earlier would have changed the results of this application cycle. My GPA was significantly lower than the median at all the schools I applied to, but my MCAT was solid.
That was helpful, thank you! I have all my primary application stuff finished (activities, PS, LOR). So I will submit it on June 1 and plan on focusing on MCAT until June 30. Then prewrite secondaries like you said after July 1. Where is the best place to look for all these secondary questions?

That was helpful, thank you! I have all my primary application stuff finished (activities, PS, LOR). So I will submit it on June 1 and plan on focusing on MCAT until June 30. Then prewrite secondaries like you said after July 1. Where is the best place to look for all these secondary questions?

Most questions do not change from year to year, so you can find the secondaries in the school specific threads (like this one - look at the first post in the thread). VCU changes every year, and a few other schools may modify one or two of their questions (USC and Duke did this year), but most schools recycle their questions. Hopefully that helps!

I finally had to send in my withdrawal. I think anyone who has followed me knows that I LOVE this school, so it was painful. I am really excited about where I'll be next year, but it might take a few hours for the nausea to wear off. Best of luck to everyone going to UF - you all were absolutely amazing at Second Look and I hope to be in the same residency as a few of you in the future!

If anyone has last minute questions regarding the school let me know and hopefully I can be of help

Got accepted off the waitlist this morning! Very excited! Would love to hear how second look was from those who attended!

Got accepted off the waitlist this morning! Very excited! Would love to hear how second look was from those who attended!

Congrats!!

Second look was amazing. I found it really easy to talk to future classmates and current med students. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. We got a chance to explore the anatomy lab and the learning assessment center (including the ultrasound machine!) and got a taste of future lectures with a brief intro to the lungs. Overall faculty and staff were warm and welcoming, current students were eager to answer any questions we had, and fellow potential MS1s were kind and great to hang out with. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

Congrats!!

Second look was amazing. I found it really easy to talk to future classmates and current med students. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. We got a chance to explore the anatomy lab and the learning assessment center (including the ultrasound machine!) and got a taste of future lectures with a brief intro to the lungs. Overall faculty and staff were warm and welcoming, current students were eager to answer any questions we had, and fellow potential MS1s were kind and great to hang out with. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

We actually got to practice using echo to look at the heart this week and we'll be examining the kidneys next week, neat stuff. We haven't really done much with the simulator yet that they show off to you guys during interview day, but I'd imagine it could be a handy resource later on in our training

Did everyone on the waitlist get the email asking if you were still interested??

II! :)

I live in gainesville about a mile from the med school & I have a pull out couch. If anyone is coming to town to interview and needs a place to stay, feel free to shoot me a message!
Offer still available?