2017-2018 University of Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!
Has anyone heard from this school after paying $150 processing fee?

Yes, I just got a confirmation email today. I submitted the payment on Friday I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I just got a confirmation email today. I submitted the payment on Friday I believe.
Thanks. I also did get the confirmation saying Order Receipt. Thank you for shopping at the University of Hawaii. I didn't receive anything else. I paid on June 30th.

Anyone receive a secondary yet?

Still nothing? Any reapplicants know if UH is usually this late?

Reactions: 1 user
I got a secondary on July 11th - not sure when they normally send them out. Verified by AMCAS 6/1

Just received my secondary today! Verified by AMCAS 6/15. I was wondering if anyone else was going to attend the PBL demonstration on August 11th?

So...they just took my money for "processing" and didn't send me a secondary? Nice. Why use that money for groceries when I can send it to a school for 'processing' my application :) :)

Reactions: 1 users
So...they just took my money for "processing" and didn't send me a secondary? Nice. Why use that money for groceries when I can send it to a school for 'processing' my application :) :)
Retweet

screened out pre secondary (OOS), I knew it was coming but still stings. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary 7/27. Verified 6/26.

Prompt:

A. Describe succinctly the important experience(s) in your life which began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine.

B. Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawai’i John A. Burns School of Medicine.

C. If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program.

You have to fit your answer to each question within a page. Good luck everyone.

Current M1 here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about the PBL curriculum or how the school is like.

The faculty really care about your well-being and are super approachable. The upperclassmen are also amazingly helpful and JABSOM really tries to ease the transition for M1s. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Anyone who received and submitted their secondary having issues about their prereqs?

My school does Gen Chem- 1 sem, Org Chem- 2 sem, and Biochem- 1 sem. The admissions office emailed me requesting 2 semesters for gen chem and my school just doesn't offer that as part of their chemistry sequence.

Received my secondary 7/27. Verified 6/26.

Prompt:

A. Describe succinctly the important experience(s) in your life which began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine.

B. Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawai’i John A. Burns School of Medicine.

C. If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program.

You have to fit your answer to each question within a page. Good luck everyone.
What are the word limit for the secondary essays?

Just got the secondary! Non-canadian international applicant here, is the PBL demonstration a requirement? I'm pretty sure I have exams during the December date, I don't know if not going = decrease chance of admission

Still no secondary :( Is it difficult to get in OOS?

Same. OOS, no secondary. I'm just hanging on with the fact that no news is good news?

Does anyone know if they have sent out pre-secondary rejections yet for OOS?

I just want to live in Hawaii and swim with manta rays everyday +1 on the oos no secondary squad

Still no secondary :( Is it difficult to get in OOS?

If it helps, it took about a month for me to receive my secondary (Threw cash on 7/11/17, Received Secondary 8/10/17)

Did you go to the PBL demonstration?
Sorry for the late response!

I did not go to the PBL demonstration and I am pretty sure a good chunk of my classmates didn't either. That being said, it's a good way to see the PBL process in progress (we do PBL 2 days per week).

It didn't come up in my interviews last year, so yea.

Pre-secondary rejection received 12:51 today :(

II just now! First II lol Secondary submitted 8/23.

Seems anecdotally at least that the II's this week were all to in-state applicants. Any OOSers hear anything?

Just received secondary. paid processing fee on 8/10

Does anyone know if Hawaii is receptive to ITA requests? I'm visiting my sister in Kona in January and will only be a hop, skip, and jump from Honolulu. Can't hurt, right?

Does anyone know if Hawaii is receptive to ITA requests? I'm visiting my sister in Kona in January and will only be a hop, skip, and jump from Honolulu. Can't hurt, right?

I would wait a little and see if you get an II. The way they do it is that they do three separate interviews on three seperate days that you need to schedule yourself unfortunately :/

Got an II as an OOS applicant mid-September, but declined it. Hope it goes to one of you!

does international students count towards the OOS pool? just got a II but couldnt find any stats on international student acceptance rates

This thread has been awfully quiet. Interviewed earlier this month, IS, LM 75. The Dean told me that after interviews, the admissions committee gives you a composite score out of 10. There may be a few "high" composite scores (8+) and they are notified of acceptance earlier. The majority of the acceptances will go out in March, around spring break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users