2017-2018 University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IS applicant checking in. Absolutely love this place

Interested OOS student. Waiting on secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

According to MSAR, they do not start reviewing applications for secondaries until July 17th, so they are probably just in the initial review stage. I would say by the end of this week or the beginning of next week the secondaries will start going out.

prompts (idk if they are same as last years)

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

for oos: (me)

This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

1. Reasons for selecting a medical career;
  2. Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
  3. Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
  4. Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
  5. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

?? no character limits?

I just typed what i had to say. Some were large paragraphs and some were a couple of sentences

Got an email this morning saying "Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application" without sending me one.. Is this considered pre-secondary rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email this morning saying "Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application" without sending me one.. Is this considered pre-secondary rejection?
That email also essentially said they don't want OOS applicants unless their stats are phenomenal, they have a solid history of public service, and a desire to practice in KY (how we're supposed to demonstrate this without a chance to answer in a secondary is anybody's guess).

They have high admission standards for OOS and pretty high for instate. The 10th percentile mcat was a 509. However, for instate students, there is more than one campus to apply to. I dont know if they are wanting oos students in the regional campuses or not

They have high admission standards for OOS and pretty high for instate. The 10th percentile mcat was a 509. However, for instate students, there is more than one campus to apply to. I dont know if they are wanting oos students in the regional campuses or not
I have an option (am OOS) to pick the campuses too.

I have an option (am OOS) to pick the campuses too.
Ok, i wasnt for sure. I think the safe bet is to pick the main campus. The Bowling Green campus hasnt even been built yet and the RPLP program is almost all instate.

Anyone OOS not get a secondary yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That email also essentially said they don't want OOS applicants unless their stats are phenomenal, they have a solid history of public service, and a desire to practice in KY (how we're supposed to demonstrate this without a chance to answer in a secondary is anybody's guess).

I got that this morning too. Just as an update for any OOS students wanting to apply to Kentucky: Unless you have ANY connection to Kentucky, they won't accept you. I spoke with a lady in admissions and she said that unless you send them an email saying how you're connected with the state of Kentucky, you WILL NOT get a secondary. So if you don't have a connection, this email is pretty much a rejection :). That was a waste of 40 bucks.

I got that this morning too. Just as an update for any OOS students wanting to apply to Kentucky: Unless you have ANY connection to Kentucky, they won't accept you. I spoke with a lady in admissions and she said that unless you send them an email saying how you're connected with the state of Kentucky, you WILL NOT get a secondary. So if you don't have a connection, this email is pretty much a rejection :). That was a waste of 40 bucks.

So they actually said that you WILL NOT get a secondary without a connection?

So they actually said that you WILL NOT get a secondary without a connection?

She was trying to avoid the question, but I DIRECTLY asked her that I can't produce some miracle relative in Kentucky, does that mean I won't get a secondary, and she said that was correct. She said that you can't get an interview until you fill out a secondary.

She was trying to avoid the question, but I DIRECTLY asked her that I can't produce some miracle relative in Kentucky, does that mean I won't get a secondary, and she said that was correct. She said that you can't get an interview until you fill out a secondary.

Thats unfortunate. I did my research and was interested in this school. I wish this was more transparent from the start.

I know they accept oos w/o connections
They also accept international

I know they accept oos w/o connections
They also accept international
This is just what I was told by one advisor. Another advisor may say differently. I'm OOS w/ a 512/4.0, and even I didn't get a secondary. You may be told differently.

This is just what I was told by one advisor. Another advisor may say differently. I'm OOS w/ a 512/4.0, and even I didn't get a secondary. You may be told differently.
You are average for them on the mcat. For out of state, they want higher. You may still get a secondary yet.

You are average for them on the mcat. For out of state, they want higher. You may still get a secondary yet.
Just got off the phone again. If you are at or ABOVE 90th percentile on the MCAT, you WILL get a secondary. Anything below a 512/513 will NOT get a secondary unless you have ties to the state. Wish they were more explicit.

Just got off the phone again. If you are at or ABOVE 90th percentile on the MCAT, you WILL get a secondary. Anything below a 512/513 will NOT get a secondary unless you have ties to the state. Wish they were more explicit.

Thank you for finding that clarification out for us!

I'm an international (Canadian) who interviewed here last year with a 3.95/517 and was ultimately accepted (though I'm going to a different school). If it comes time for II and anyone has questions about what the day looked like last year/how it was, feel free to message me/ask :)

I'll believe you when you say you are getting your info from direct phone calls and questioning. But like @Dr.Cut.em.up stated, I also know they send secondaries to and accept OOS and internationals with no ties to Kentucky (and less than 90th percentile MCAT). Unless things have changed so much in a year, I say be patient for them to send out these secondaries if they will. Of course they lean in-state but they are also rather friendly to OOS/internationals compared to a lot of schools. They will look at your entire application to decide so use the secondary to explain yourself and why them. It can be difficult to avoid but the paranoia and angst that applicants self-inflict on themselves in this process is not worth it. Best of luck to all!

I agree with the two posters above. Historically the school has about 20% OOS students if I'm remembering correctly. I think people with super high stats and no ties to the state don't necessarily think of coming here, as they would probably be accepted into their own state schools or "high tier" private schools.

I got in OOS with no ties and an extremely subpar GPA but high MCAT. It was three years ago but I can't imagine it's changed that drastically since then. Interestingly, I don't think the super high stat people actually perform better than lower stat in-state people once in med school. Someone told me they actually looked into that (unverified though).

I do think that they're trying to push for more in-state students at the satellite campuses to fulfill the mission of training people to serve KY and rural areas. The one in northern KY will probably be the biggest draw for OOS though because it's a stone's throw from Cincinnati.

Keep us posted if you OOS people end up getting secondaries or not please!

I agree with the two posters above. Historically the school has about 20% OOS students if I'm remembering correctly. I think people with super high stats and no ties to the state don't necessarily think of coming here, as they would probably be accepted into their own state schools or "high tier" private schools.

I got in OOS with no ties and an extremely subpar GPA but high MCAT. It was three years ago but I can't imagine it's changed that drastically since then. Interestingly, I don't think the super high stat people actually perform better than lower stat in-state people once in med school. Someone told me they actually looked into that (unverified though).

I do think that they're trying to push for more in-state students at the satellite campuses to fulfill the mission of training people to serve KY and rural areas. The one in northern KY will probably be the biggest draw for OOS though because it's a stone's throw from Cincinnati.

Keep us posted if you OOS people end up getting secondaries or not please!
I heard from a good source that they are looking into the trends of high mcat and medical school performance. They have brought their average mcat up every single year with little return. At the end of the day, UK is still a state school with a goal of creating Kentucky doctors. I thi k that they have done a poor job in the past recruitng students that at more likely to stay.

With that being said, i heard that thwy will begin screening for instate at a 504 and oos 511-512. The new campus thing is very interesting because it seems to me that your first choice on your secondary is the only school you will be considered at unless you are waitlisted.

So,

Student A applies to RPLP with a 3.8 506 mcat and student B applies to Main Campus with 3.8 511 MCAT. Student A gets accepted. Student B is rejected and doent have the oppertunity to apply to the other campuses.

I heard from a good source that they are looking into the trends of high mcat and medical school performance. They have brought their average mcat up every single year with little return. At the end of the day, UK is still a state school with a goal of creating Kentucky doctors. I thi k that they have done a poor job in the past recruitng students that at more likely to stay.

With that being said, i heard that thwy will begin screening for instate at a 504 and oos 511-512. The new campus thing is very interesting because it seems to me that your first choice on your secondary is the only school you will be considered at unless you are waitlisted.

So,

Student A applies to RPLP with a 3.8 506 mcat and student B applies to Main Campus with 3.8 511 MCAT. Student A gets accepted. Student B is rejected and doent have the oppertunity to apply to the other campuses.
I had to look up new to old MCAT equivalence tables because I don't have a good frame of reference. Sounds like the new OOS screen is around the 32 mark, which is actually not inconsistent with the stats for the past few years. I guess mine was around 517 equivalent, which is probably why I made it in despite the very low GPA. Interesting that there doesn't seem to be a GPA cutoff.

That's pretty poopy about not being able to apply to multiple campuses. Makes no sense. You'd think they'd want the best group of people overall. As far as I know for other schools with multiple campuses, you get to apply to all and rank your preferences.

I had to look up new to old MCAT equivalence tables because I don't have a good frame of reference. Sounds like the new OOS screen is around the 32 mark, which is actually not inconsistent with the stats for the past few years. I guess mine was around 517 equivalent, which is probably why I made it in despite the very low GPA. Interesting that there doesn't seem to be a GPA cutoff.

That's pretty poopy about not being able to apply to multiple campuses. Makes no sense. You'd think they'd want the best group of people overall. As far as I know for other schools with multiple campuses, you get to apply to all and rank your preferences.
Yep, i would assume it will move to this. Accept, then disperse. This may cause a disparity among the campuses and may highlight a strategy to be accepted with lower stats.

OOS LizzyM 71.5 (MCAT 513)
I have a relative IS
Secondary received 07/21

Last edited:
OOS, GPA 3.5 MCAT 523, only connection to KY is a 2 month internship there.

I got an email last week asking me to notifying the admissions office of any personal ties to Kentucky. I just called admissions and asked them the following:
1. Will my application not be considered for a secondary invitation until I notify the admissions office of my connection to Kentucky?
Response: You must notify the admissions office of your ties to KY before being considered for a secondary invite.

2. What are some examples of a "clear tie"?
Response: Being born in KY, having a UK alum in the family, having a relative in KY, etc.

Guess my GPA was too low (womp womp). Hope this is helpful for others.

I got an email last week asking me to notifying the admissions office of any personal ties to Kentucky. I just called admissions and asked them the following:
1. Will my application not be considered for a secondary invitation until I notify the admissions office of my connection to Kentucky?
Response: You must notify the admissions office of your ties to KY before being considered for a secondary invite.

Response: Being born in KY, having a UK alum in the family, having a relative in KY, etc.

LM ~82 here, OOS, still no secondary

Nice MCAT though! That's an awesome score

You will get one. They get hot and bothered for scores such as yours.

Average. Lizzy M ~65-66 OOS

Edit: I have only received the "tell us your ties" email and no secondary. I don't expect to receive a secondary as I have no family ties. I just am not sure if it is better to formally withdraw or if it is better to just wait for the rejection notification (if they even send one).
Well you already paid for the primary. What's the upside to withdrawing now? What's the downside of waiting to see what happens?

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure they pre-screen OOS. The LizzyM score you have is not very high for them. Id say for OOS you wouod need at least a 69-70

I got an email from them yesterday saying that they will be sending complete applications for screening this week so expect II soon!

I was quite interested in this school and many of the programs I've heard about. I have not received a secondary. "LizzyM" 70-74. No point in withdrawing. I will wait and see if anything.

Obviously OOS.

I've seen no secondaries out of state yet without ties to Kentucky. I understand why though. I just wish they would make the process clear.

Last edited:

Last edited:
OOS but in an adjacent state, high stats, but still no secondary. Anyone else?