2017-2018 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the II guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
II just now! OOS, LizzyM 71, complete 8/3.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, got out of work late today and all the September dates were already filled. Hopefully an early October date won't hurt!

IS, LizzyM 71, complete 7/28

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
II as well! Very exciting, complete 8/3. One of my top choices.

Reactions: 7 users
Excited about all this movement here at UMD - hoping I'll get a rejection soon :heckyeah:

Good luck on all your interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
II todayyyyyyyy mcat 518, gpa 3.92 OOS

Reactions: 3 users
I'm considering applying.. I know it's late in the game but I originally didn't applied because of their favor towards IS applicants.. Does the secondary ask if any of your parents are alumni from this school? Both of mine are (not medical just the college in general) or know if they would favor that?

I'm considering applying.. I know it's late in the game but I originally didn't applied because of their favor towards IS applicants.. Does the secondary ask if any of your parents are alumni from this school? Both of mine are (not medical just the college in general) or know if they would favor that?
They only ask about ties to the medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MD Resident and planning to submit Monday. 70.6 LizzyM. How screwed am I for being late?

MD Resident and planning to submit Monday. 70.6 LizzyM. How screwed am I for being late?
It's still early in the cycle. Obviously the earlier the better, but I don't think it's too late to submit now.

Does anyone know where to find the 2017 residency match list for UMD? I'm having the hardest time finding it.
Thanks!

is there a way to update the admissions committee? I didn't see one on the portal but don't want to email them if they don't accept updates.

Im an idiot and didn't read that I wasn't supposed to copy and paste from word on my secondary application. How much is this gonna screw up my application? The formatting looks fine on my end but is it gonna be screwed up on theirs?

Im an idiot and didn't read that I wasn't supposed to copy and paste from word on my secondary application. How much is this gonna screw up my application? The formatting looks fine on my end but is it gonna be screwed up on theirs?
I copied and pasted from Google Docs and got an II. I don't think they would hold it against you.

Apparently copying from Word or Google Docs sometimes adds symbols like % or & to the text, depending on the format.

However, I think that Maryland's text boxes automatically make it non-formatted text.

Apparently copying from Word or Google Docs sometimes adds symbols like % or & to the text, depending on the format.

However, I think that Maryland's text boxes automatically make it non-formatted text.
If there were an issue I would see it on my end right? It looks fine to me. I don't see any odd symbols or non-formatted text boxes.

Does UMD send complete emails? The only correspondence I've gotten is the secondary invite and payment submitted emails

Does UMD send complete emails? The only correspondence I've gotten is the secondary invite and payment submitted emails
The only other email you'll get is one titled, "Received Second Stage Application." I did not receive a complete app email before getting an II.

If there were an issue I would see it on my end right? It looks fine to me. I don't see any odd symbols or non-formatted text boxes.

Generally yes. Sometimes the issue is only seen when the application is converted to PDF or something, so it would really depend on what the school uses.

II this morning! 518, 3.9 OOS! Also, I definitely copied and pasted my secondary essays. It didn't seem to have a negative effect on my application when reviewed.

Does anyone know if this school has student hosts for interviews?

Seems like there's been silence here after a quick flurry. Hoping to get in on the next round! I got an email confirming my IS classification recently which was nice.

Reactions: 2 users
II yesterday. OOS.

How did interviews go for those who had them already?? Feeling nervous for mine!

II sent 9/14!! Complete 8/24, IS, LizzyM ~67.

I logged on pretty quickly and first interview date was 11/1

Reactions: 3 users
hey all I'm a 2nd year med student at Maryland. I can't promise I'll be on here a lot, but I will check in occasionally to answer some questions.

Also please stop referring to this school as UMD :) --> that's the one in college park. We're UMB (Univ of Maryland, Baltimore) or just UMSOM. Gets on everyone's nerves here.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all. Is it too late to apply here, especially with low stats?

OOS, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 506 MCAT, URM

Does anyone know where to find the 2017 residency match list for UMD? I'm having the hardest time finding it.
Thanks!
Maryland doesn't really make it public, nor do students post it (honestly, you'll find that we're about the least SDN-active bunch out there) but should you be invited to interview, they will give you a de-identified list for the past few years.

Match lists are like trying to read tea leaves - you never know the character of the class matching or their personal ambitions when you see match lists. It doesn't hurt that we have well-respected in-house programs in competitive specialties and grads go into them every year if that is what you want to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!
I have a list from the open house I went to a couple months ago, its 15 pages. Since it only has location and specialty I don't mind sharing it here if there's enough interest.

Reactions: 6 users
Did you guys ever have a change in the status on your portal (prior to II) besides "App submitted"? I'm not sure if mine is supposed to say complete instead of just submitted. Thanks!

Yessssss all the likes muahaha

I'll scan and attach the list when I get home tonight.

Did you guys ever have a change in the status on your portal (prior to II) besides "App submitted"? I'm not sure if mine is supposed to say complete instead of just submitted. Thanks!
It says right on the first page in the instructions that if you have all green checkmarks and mcat scores were all released, then it's complete. All the same, I get nervous when there's no actual confirmation. I just had to call Perelman twice to get my app complete, some kind of glitch in the way the info was entered, and so I'm only complete there as of late September. I really wish I could know for sure that I was complete at all the schools I applied to.....

Here y'all go.

Attachments

• Maryland SOM Match List.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if we are allowed to send updates to this school? I don't see a way to on the portal and am wondering if it would be too odd to send an email

Here y'all go.

Thanks @Melchizedek! I realize that match lists provide a snapshot of a class and their interests. What I was able to glean from that list is that graduates from UoM SoM can go to a broad variety of programs (prestigious, academic, etc). The more that I research this school before my interview next week, the more I excited I get.

Anyone know the typical turnaround time from secondary submission to hearing about whether you’re getting an interview?