2017-2018 University of Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I am IS, but I am not PURCH if that helps.
I've been a lurker here for... longer than I'd like to admit. In my defense, I couldn't think of a good username, but today I found inspiration in utter desperation and this happened?
Anyway:

WL PURCH and regular, IS

Perspectiveset - I will wait with you patiently tomorrow! And with the rest of the group!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else white knuckling it on the WL because this is their last hope this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one left on the thread who hasn't gotten an offer yet? Things are pretty quiet here. If anyone is left, what are your plans for housing if you are accepted right before the start of classes?

Am I the only one left on the thread who hasn't gotten an offer yet? Things are pretty quiet here. If anyone is left, what are your plans for housing if you are accepted right before the start of classes?

No, I haven't gotten one either. IS Regular. Am I off-base for thinking most people on the WL haven't heard back?

same I haven't heard anything either!

No, I haven't gotten one either. IS Regular. Am I off-base for thinking most people on the WL haven't heard back?
I wonder the same thing about how many have heard. Since there are supposed to be around 75 on the waitlist, and there are only 10 or 15 of us on the thread, it makes it really hard to know. I am also wondering if students who were accepted just before April 30 are still making their decision. Don't they have 14 days to commit or is their time up?

I wonder the same thing about how many have heard. Since there are supposed to be around 75 on the waitlist, and there are only 10 or 15 of us on the thread, it makes it really hard to know. I am also wondering if students who were accepted just before April 30 are still making their decision. Don't they have 14 days to commit or is their time up?
I am also on the waitlist and I have not heard anything. I think that their time is up (accepted before April 30). I think it is important to keep in mind that people responding to waitlist offers have 5 days to respond, and that people who are currently accepted at UMASS are also being offered spots from waitlists at other schools. Given this the process will be slow. Waitlist movement in general slows down around mid June - so do not lose hope yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I also haven't heard anything. It certainly seems like it's moving more slowly than previous years, both at UMass and generally (according to the Waitlist Support Group thread), which aligns with @mnbmnb's logic for the slow movement and hopeful thinking.

At the same time, I asked my undergrad advisor about UMass's 50/75 WL acceptances from MSAR, and she said not to rely on those numbers for this cycle, having been in communication with the UMass adcom. But, when I called UMass last week, they said the forecast for movement was similar to years past (aka, there would be significant movement).

It's a lot of hear-say, but that's everything that I've gathered thus far.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know if any of you follow the general Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018 thread, but here was an exchange a few minutes ago: Student A asks, "Any tips for keeping my mind off the waitlist?" Student B responds, "Avoid SDN"

Wondering if all of us PURCH-ers are IS?

I’m waitlisted for PURCH+regular and I’m OOS. I was the only person from my region in the United States at the interview though so I think there’s something unusual about my application. I think most PURCH folks are in-state.

I’m waitlisted for PURCH+regular and I’m OOS. I was the only person from my region in the United States at the interview though so I think there’s something unusual about my application. I think most PURCH folks are in-state.

Most people at my PURCH interview were OOS, including myself. I’m sure that’s not the norm though

At my interview in december i think most PURCHers were OOS

Does anyone know how many PURCH spots there are in this year's class? Also if someone is to apply to PURCH and say not get in, are they still considered for regular admission?

I'm still here, homies. From the advice from a wise older mentor in my life, I've gotten my butt out of SDN and check back 1-2x / week. Really does take my mind off of the waitlist.

I'm OOS and wait-listed for the regular track.

Also keeping my fingers crossed for the waitlist movement. Anecdotally, the two people I know that were accepted from the UMASS waitlist were accepted in July and August. I really hope that isn't the case for us because as mentioned previously finding housing will be a bit of a scramble.

Does anyone know how many PURCH spots there are in this year's class? Also if someone is to apply to PURCH and say not get in, are they still considered for regular admission?
Good question—I know there were previously 25 spots but that in theory they could increase the number this year. Don’t know how likely that is. And from the answer given at my interview in the fall, I don’t think we are considered separately for regular admission (i.e. it’s an all-or-nothing system).

Thank you! Ugh hope we hear something at some point this week!

Has anyone spoken to Brenda recently re: the waitlist movement?

Has anyone spoken to Brenda recently re: the waitlist movement?

I know of someone who spoke to her last week - the usual story: movement could happen at any time, not necessarily in one big wave, there is a good yield off of WL, etc.

It does seem awfully quiet around here, though, which is disconcerting....

I know of someone who spoke to her last week - the usual story: movement could happen at any time, not necessarily in one big wave, there is a good yield off of WL, etc.

It does seem awfully quiet around here, though, which is disconcerting....
Last year's thread had some movement in the beginning of June. Maybe we will see something similar?

I called admissions yesterday and Brenda said that the class is currently full. But she also said that there still may be considerable movement on the waitlist from people getting in at other schools. It seems like we won't be seeing a big wave come off the waitlist this year though

I called admissions yesterday and Brenda said that the class is currently full. But she also said that there still may be considerable movement on the waitlist from people getting in at other schools. It seems like we won't be seeing a big wave come off the waitlist this year though

I don't "like" this... but thank you for calling and letting us know.

hey, thanks for the info. tho it's not favorable news per se, having some transparency on the WL for the first time is refreshing.

Isn’t the class always full at this time in the cycle? *hmm face* or am I mistaken? Is this really new news?

Isn’t the class always full at this time in the cycle? *hmm face* or am I mistaken? Is this really new news?
Hahahhaahahahhahahahhaha I don't know if you're right but now that I think about it, it's so funny to me and I think you might be right

Anyone hear word of any action here?

i was accepted elsewhere and will be withdrawing my PURCH spot soon. Hope one of you gets it!

accepted for purch, interviewed in december, waitlisted in April. So happy, beyond words, this was my top choice program and my first acceptance of 2 cycles. thanks Hk94 for your spot!! xxoxoox

Reactions: 5 users
accepted for purch, interviewed in december, waitlisted in April. So happy, beyond words, this was my top choice program and my first acceptance of 2 cycles. thanks Hk94 for your spot!! xxoxoox

That's awesome!! Best of luck to you!

you're welcome!! I'm so happy that it went to you :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! we've been on this thread together for a long time, and I'm so happy to see you get that spot :)

Just got a call from admissions -- accepted to regular track (non-purch)! insanely happy!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
This sucks. I was really hoping there would be more movement off WL.

Waitlist squad: All of the checkmarks on my portal have been cleared. Under "My Application Progress" there are sections for "Checklist completed," "Under consideration," "Interview scheduled," "Interviewed," and "Admitted," but all of the boxes are now empty for me. Is it like this for everyone else?

Waitlist squad: All of the checkmarks on my portal have been cleared. Under "My Application Progress" there are sections for "Checklist completed," "Under consideration," "Interview scheduled," "Interviewed," and "Admitted," but all of the boxes are now empty for me. Is it like this for everyone else?
Hi donutzebra,
My portal boxes look the same as what you describe. However, I have already reapplied to the school, and the portal is the same access point for the new cycle, so it seems to make sense that they would be empty to show the progress of my new application. Hope that helps.

Hi donutzebra,
My portal boxes look the same as what you describe. However, I have already reapplied to the school, and the portal is the same access point for the new cycle, so it seems to make sense that they would be empty to show the progress of my new application. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help! I also emailed admissions, and they confirmed that the portal is reflecting the 2018-2019 application cycle and that I'm still on the waitlist. I'm not reapplying this cycle so I guess that's why I was initially confused.

Damn, this WL business is torturous. How long are they going to prolong it for? Does anyone know of someone being accepted off of WL within the past few weeks?

Damn, this WL business is torturous. How long are they going to prolong it for? Does anyone know of someone being accepted off of WL within the past few weeks?

I don't know of anyone being accepted other than what has been posted here, but having been on this exact waitlist last year (ouch, it hurts just to type that out), I would anticipate that they will notify us via email that the class is full in the last week of July.

I know UMass historically accepts 50/75 people from the waitlist, but am I correct in assuming that it would be over earlier for those of us who live on the other side of the country? I heard you need to have a car in Worcester, it would be a rush to find housing, and UMass has orientation in early August. I played around on Google Maps and found out it would take me at least 8 days to make it to Worcester on a very rushed road trip (SoCal --> Las Vegas --> Richfield, UT (Fishlake National Forest) --> Denver --> Omaha --> Chicago --> Cleveland --> Niagara Falls --> Worcester). I'm assuming the admissions committee understands this and would be hesitant to accept West Coast waitlistees at a certain point because even if they got accepted, they probably wouldn't physically be able to make it.

is there a 2018-2019 thread? can't find it