2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All applicant narratives should be less than 500 words.
1. Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

Optional Questions:

8. Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
9. Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

There's an option to choose between different joint and dual degrees and there's different secondary questions that vary.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
University of Miami Interview Feedback
Interviewed at University of Miami? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they want descriptions when they ask for a list of activities (e.g. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.) or just a list?

@The Knife & Gun Club

Reactions: 1 user
Holy crap its already time for another cycle. First off good luck to everyone, make sure to stay positive throughout the cycle. Amazingly things always seem to work out for the best, even if it seems impossible in the moment. My names Knife & Gun Club, I'm a current (rising) M2 in the MD program. Some other prominent UM SDNers are @teeayejay (in the MD/MPH track) and @Ace Khalifa.

Feel free to post any questions you've got about UM, and tag me to make sure I see it. I'll put together a more comprehensive post later of general advice too. Also feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post publicly. I was a terrified applicant recently and totally get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they want descriptions when they ask for a list of activities (e.g. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.) or just a list?

@The Knife & Gun Club

So when I did the app 2 years ago, they wanted a sentence long description just to give basic context to each entry.

I forgot to do this then had to send the correction email of shame 2 weeks later when I realized. Not the best way to start things off.

Like @The Knife & Gun Club said, I'm teeayejay! Rising M2 in the MD/MPH program (God, it's already been a year). Happy to answer any and all questions regarding the dual degree or UM in general. Best of Luck to all and let the game begin haha.

Reactions: 3 users
are secondaries given without MCAT scores (pending)?

@teeayejay @The Knife & Gun Club What's your favorite part(s) about UM and what is student life like? Do you think someone who has strong research interests could get something out of their program?

I grew up near PCB and would love to move back to Florida for the memories, even if I won't have a single good hair day because of it :D

are secondaries given without MCAT scores (pending)?
I'm actually not sure. Somewhere I heard that they screen but it could very well be that they auto-send.

@teeayejay @The Knife & Gun Club What's your favorite part(s) about UM and what is student life like? Do you think someone who has strong research interests could get something out of their program?

I grew up near PCB and would love to move back to Florida for the memories, even if I won't have a single good hair day because of it :D

My favorite part of UM is that you can chase your interests in pretty much any field. If you have a strong desire for social justice and policy within medicine there's a space for that. If you're more of the bench research type person, there's a space for that too. And everything else in between. Some opportunities will fall in your lab but others you might need to show some diligence. At any rate, UM is well-funded.

Another plus for me is that it's a very "on the streets" type school. By that I mean, Miami is uniquely positioned in that it has such a diverse group of people both culturally and socioeconomically. It's dead smack in the middle of the city and smack in the middle of one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in the city. It's a great place to be trained and there's a major opportunity to learn humility and what it truly means to open yourself up to different walks of life.

I personally (and truly) don't have anything negative to say about it other than minor program logistics but no program in the nation is without fault.

Socially, keep in mind that I'm in the smaller cohort of 50 within the MD/MPH so mileage may vary compared to MD-traditional track, but I've had no issues. The two programs cross not infrequently and do hangout outside of school at times. People like to perpetuate an invisible divide between the two but that's just the nature of having two separate programs, otherwise, there's no animosity as far as I know. There's almost 200 of us combined so I won't know about every little tiff. I'm also more of a laid back person and tend to mind my business lol.

Miami itself is amazing. Be comfortable with Spanish (don't have to speak it but don't be surprised if you hear it everywhere). I say that because I spoke with an undergrad at UM a couple months ago and she hated it for that reason. I love it. Otherwise, there's always something to do if you want plus the beach is 10 minutes away.

Hope that answers your questions!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm actually not sure. Somewhere I heard that they screen but it could very well be that they auto-send.

My favorite part of UM is that you can chase your interests in pretty much any field. If you have a strong desire for social justice and policy within medicine there's a space for that. If you're more of the bench research type person, there's a space for that too. And everything else in between. Some opportunities will fall in your lab but others you might need to show some diligence. At any rate, UM is well-funded.

Another plus for me is that it's a very "on the streets" type school. By that I mean, Miami is uniquely positioned in that it has such a diverse group of people both culturally and socioeconomically. It's dead smack in the middle of the city and smack in the middle of one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in the city. It's a great place to be trained and there's a major opportunity to learn humility and what it truly means to open yourself up to different walks of life.

I personally (and truly) don't have anything negative to say about it other than minor program logistics but no program in the nation is without fault.

Socially, keep in mind that I'm in the smaller cohort of 50 within the MD/MPH so mileage may vary compared to MD-traditional track, but I've had no issues. The two programs cross not infrequently and do hangout outside of school at times. People like to perpetuate an invisible divide between the two but that's just the nature of having two separate programs, otherwise, there's no animosity as far as I know. There's almost 200 of us combined so I won't know about every little tiff. I'm also more of a laid back person and tend to mind my business lol.

Miami itself is amazing. Be comfortable with Spanish (don't have to speak it but don't be surprised if you hear it everywhere). I say that because I spoke with an undergrad at UM a couple months ago and she hated it for that reason. I love it. Otherwise, there's always something to do if you want plus the beach is 10 minutes away.

Hope that answers your questions!
Like @The Knife & Gun Club said, I'm teeayejay! Rising M2 in the MD/MPH program (God, it's already been a year). Happy to answer any and all questions regarding the dual degree or UM in general. Best of Luck to all and let the game begin haha.

Hi,

I'm a prospective applicant for this cycle and I have several questions regarding the MD/MPH program.

1) I'm applying to MD also and wondering if consideration for these two programs are separate or if the MD program will not take you as seriously if you apply to the MD/MPH program also.
2) I assume the MD/MPH program is more work because you are getting a master's in addition to the regular MD degree. How does Miami organize the curriculum of the program so you still graduate in 4 years? Do you have to stay later after class or use your summer breaks to take courses?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PP

Hi,

I'm a prospective applicant for this cycle and I have several questions regarding the MD/MPH program.

1) I'm applying to MD also and wondering if consideration for these two programs are separate or if the MD program will not take you as seriously if you apply to the MD/MPH program also.
2) I assume the MD/MPH program is more work because you are getting a master's in addition to the regular MD degree. How does Miami organize the curriculum of the program so you still graduate in 4 years? Do you have to stay later after class or use your summer breaks to take courses?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PP

What's up -

1) The two programs are considered separately. One decision has no bearing over the other; people have gotten into both or one versus the other.

2)
Summer before M1: 6 weeks of three courses concurrently
-------------------
Fall M1: no course work; they want you to become accustomed to medical school
Spring M1: one course
*Complete Field Experience during Spring/Summer of M1
*Community Needs-Assessment project that spans M1 year (not that intensive)
-------------------
Fall M2 and Winter of M2: one course each; leave beginning of March for step 1 dedicated
Late Spring/Early Summer M2: Come back from dedicated, 6 weeks of three courses
-------------------
Move to regional campus for M3 for core rotations- monthly seminars throughout the year
-------------------
M4 - Four week public health rotation on regional campus (can return to Miami campus after finishing core rotations but may need to come back up to finish PH rotation if you didn't get it early in fourth year)
*Capstone project due beginning of M4 (which you would have been working on since M1)

It's look a lot more intensive on paper haha. When you're doing it, it feels like the norm. Here's a link to curriculum set-up

Last edited:
What's up -

1) The two programs are considered separately. One decision has no bearing over the other; people have gotten into both or one versus the other.

2)
Summer before M1: 6 weeks of three courses concurrently
-------------------
Fall M1: no course work; they want you to become accustomed to medical school
Spring M1: one course
*Complete Field Experience during Spring/Summer of M1
*Community Needs-Assessment project that spans M1 year (not that intensive)
-------------------
Fall M2 and Winter of M2: one course each; leave beginning of March for step 1 dedicated
Late Spring/Early Summer M2: Come back from dedicated, 6 weeks of three courses
-------------------
Move to regional campus for M3 for core rotations- monthly seminars throughout the year
-------------------
M4 - Four week public health rotation on regional campus (can return to Miami campus after finishing core rotations but may need to come back up to finish PH rotation if you didn't get it early in fourth year)
*Capstone project due beginning of M4 (which you would have been working on since M1)

It's look a lot more intensive on paper haha. When you're doing it, it feels like the norm. Here's a link to curriculum set-up

Hi teeayjay,

Thank you so much for you quick response and insight. I would be delighted to be accepted to either one of these programs. I will let you know if I have anymore questions. Once again, thank you for taking the time to address my questions.

PP

For the secondary questions (example, see below) do you think it's relevant to talk about high school experiences? I graduated 6 years ago

"(Optional) Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.) (500 words)"

Is it necessary to fill out every single optional essay for the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary questions (example, see below) do you think it's relevant to talk about high school experiences? I graduated 6 years ago

"(Optional) Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.) (500 words)"

It really just depends. General rule of thumb, unless you created the cure for cancer back in 10th grade, it's probably no longer relevant (ie. sports, band, etc). Only other exception is if was something life-changing that happened.

For the example below, if you didn't continue the activity later in life, then it's no longer relevant.

Question: did they already send out the secondary or did you get that from last year's thread?

Is it necessary to fill out every single optional essay for the secondary application?

It's not necessary but don't short-change yourself. It's another opportunity to show why you deserve a seat in the class. That being said, don't pad the app with BS. If it's nothing that was particularly important then don't include it. Same rules go for the word-count; you don't have to go up to 500 words but make sure there's substance.

Thanks @teeayejay! I got the questions from last year's thread- primary apps aren't sent out until June 30th

Two questions for people on this thread:

1) My premed committee letter packet won't be ready until mid-July. I'd like to get my secondary app in as soon as possible and I'm wondering if a mid-July completion date would be a disadvantage in terms of obtaining interviews. Is there really a difference if I'm complete on the first possible day or in the middle of the month?

2) Would any of you accepted UM students be kind enough to share your secondary essay responses to help guide my writing process? I know essays are personal, but since you're already accepted, it would matter less anyways.

Thanks,

PP

How should we shorten "The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine?" Is "Miller" appropriate?

Edit: I ended up writing "the Miller School" because that's how they shorten it a lot on their site

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1) My premed committee letter packet won't be ready until mid-July. I'd like to get my secondary app in as soon as possible and I'm wondering if a mid-July completion date would be a disadvantage in terms of obtaining interviews. Is there really a difference if I'm complete on the first possible day or in the middle of the month?

2) Would any of you accepted UM students be kind enough to share your secondary essay responses to help guide my writing process? I know essays are personal, but since you're already accepted, it would matter less anyways.

Thanks,

PP

I'd think mid-July is still pretty early, right?

Thanks,

PP
1) My premed office has the same date and I think we'll be ok!
2) I'd love to see a sample as well!

Could current students comment on how quickly they get to interact with patients? Also, is there a rhyme or reason as to what academic society you are placed in?

For the question "Please briefly discuss your research experience," does anyone know how detailed they want this to be? Do they want just a general description of what my lab is investigating, or should I be writing about the techniques I use and the things I do on a weekly basis? I feel like I wrote about most of this already in the primary app so I'm not sure if they want new information or what.

Thanks,
PP
You'll be fine. The process isn't linear anyway. Just because someone submitted theirs before you, doesn't necessarily mean yours can't be reviewed first.

How should we shorten "The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine?" Is "Miller" appropriate?
UMMSM, Miller SOM, I suppose Miller could work too

Could current students comment on how quickly they get to interact with patients? Also, is there a rhyme or reason as to what academic society you are placed in?
First few weeks, you'll be seeing patients whether it's with your society after learning a new phys exam technique, your preceptor (doc in the community that you spend an afternoon with every few weeks), one of our many health fairs, or through the student-run health clinics. The latter two ways, you sign up for, obviously.

In terms of AS's, I'm not sure. You're "sorted" during Games Day (field day) lol. It seems pretty random to me but I also don't care that much. Each society will have four traditional MDs and four MD/MPHs. You do your PEx stuff with your curriculum cohort though.

For the question "Please briefly discuss your research experience," does anyone know how detailed they want this to be? Do they want just a general description of what my lab is investigating, or should I be writing about the techniques I use and the things I do on a weekly basis? I feel like I wrote about most of this already in the primary app so I'm not sure if they want new information or what.
I think I did a basic paragraph of what we were looking at and did like a line or two where I listed what specific skills I gained

Just got the email saying they have received my application

I haven't even gotten the email saying that my application has been received. It's been verified since June 19th. Any others in the same boat?

I haven't even gotten the email saying that my application has been received. It's been verified since June 19th. Any others in the same boat?
I've been verified since early June and haven't received a secondary yet either... Do you think U of Miami will filter out applicants before it sends out secondaries?? I've been spending a great deal of effort into researching some of the programs and don't want all the time and work to go to waste...

I've been verified since early June and haven't received a secondary yet either... Do you think U of Miami will filter out applicants before it sends out secondaries?? I've been spending a great deal of effort into researching some of the programs and don't want all the time and work to go to waste...

It's still way early, handing out secondaries is totally random to those that were verified before the 30th! No need to worry just yet

hope to get some love pretty early. i'm actually doing research here this summer.

This is my dream school right now, crossing my fingers and hoping i get in!

For the questions that ask us to provide a chronological list with dates, do we simply list or provide a description as well?

For the questions that ask us to provide a chronological list with dates, do we simply list or provide a description as well?

Based on what I've seen others say for similar questions, if it says "list" then you can just make a list. If it says "describe", then you should elaborate.

Like teejay said, it's all about walking a fine line between filling the app with BS and demonstrating that you really care and want to attend the school. Personally, I left one optional question blank (the travel one) because I had nothing meaningful to write.

Thanks,

PP

1) Mid July is fine. Also some schools (no idea if UM does or not since I'm no adcom) will begin reviewing and scoring apps before the committee letters are in. They know some school's committees take forever

2) Nope, that's a very bad idea. If the adcoms found out you read accepted students secondaries, that alone could be grounds for rejection. There are tons of sample non-UM med school essays online for you to read though.

Academic societies: each has its own "culture" but the selection process is totally random. The only exception I believe is if you know a 2nd year and want them to be your assigned mentor...Then you'll end up in whatever society they're in. Aside from that you'll be placed randomly and get a mentor from that society that shares your interests/background. Everyone ends up loving their societies in the end, it's tough not to bond with the people you learn all your clinical skills on.

Patient interaction is the crown jewel of UM imo. From day one you have free range to go into any of the hospitals, and we have 3 huge ones.

Jackson - the public, safety net
UM Hospital - the private, academic center
VA - Military vets

Plus a bunch of specialized smaller hospitals, like Ryder trauma center, Sylvester cancer center, bascom palmer eye hospital, etc.

Basically we kinda span the spectrum in terms of clinical experience, with everything concentrated on one gigantic medical campus. anything you're interested in you can do. 2 weeks into school I walked into the Jackson ER at 10pm (didn't email ahead or anything), and asked how I could help. They had me taking histories/physicals on my own within 10 minutes, and before the shift ended they let me help intubate, drop a central line, and do stiches. I can't stress how insane it is that as 1st years we have that level of clinical responsibility.

Also, if the ER isn't your favorite, we have tons of other super high impact stuff you can jump in on in a moments notice. There's crazy multi-transplants, davinci robot surgeries, and breakthrough drug trials all going on all the time. The doctors are all UM faculty, and are always eager to teach. In fact we get emails all the time from doctors ASKING US to come shadow in their clinics all the time.

If you really like interacting with patients themselves, the VA has one of the best patient populations you'll ever meet. Our VA is one of the biggest in the nation, and they attract former vets from all over. The patients there are always super friendly and have some absolutely amazing/inspiring stories.

How intense is their screening process? Or do they not even have one? (For secondaries that is)

Edit: Just kidding, looked it up

"UM Miller wiill send Secondary Applications to nearly every applicant who has applied to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine."

Secondary Received:
All applicant narratives should be less than 500 words.
1. Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

Optional Questions:

8. Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
9. Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

There's an option to choose between different joint and dual degrees and there's different secondary questions that vary. @Lucca

Secondary received! Anyone else not have an option to upload a photo?
Good luck everyone :highfive:

Mandatory essay explaining research experience, and I have none...

It's ok to not have research experience, a significant portion of our class doesn't have any.

One thing I've heard of people doing in the past is saying something like "while I don't have any formal research experience, ____ is a field In which I follow research closely. University of Miami has world renowned researchers in this field that I hope to collaborate with if given the opportunity"

Some fields were particularly strong in:

Neuro/spinal cord injuries (The Miami project to cure paralysis)

Metabolism/Diabetes (diabetes research institute)

Organ transplantation (miami transplants institute)

Infectious diseases (Zika and other weird tropical stuff)

Public health (MPH program, proximity to the carribean, DOCS/miamis gigantic underserved population)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! For the chronological lists, are you all putting hours or just the dates? Good luck, everyone!

Hello! For the chronological lists, are you all putting hours or just the dates? Good luck, everyone!

So when I applied they had an instructional PDF that accompanied the secondaries, and in the PDF it said to "list and briefly describe." No idea if they're still doing that weird PDF thing. I missed that part and just listed them, but it ended up being fine.

On the attached PDF we received in the email it says
"When asked for a chronologic list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity."
It doesn't look like they want hours. They also have our AMCAS application for that information.

On the attached PDF we received in the email it says
"When asked for a chronologic list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity."
It doesn't look like they want hours. They also have our AMCAS application for that information.
Oh I see... I submitted with dates. Oh well...

Didn't get a secondary! Is it too early to worry?

@MDJosie
Got this from last year'a thread about the photo upload. Hope this helps everyone out.

You pay the $90 and then you "are submitted".
You go back to the original link that prompted you to do the secondary, and you re-enter AMCAS ID and DOB. From there, it'll take you back to a page where you can look at your essays and secondary etc, and it'll say "APPLICATION INCOMPLETE" and it will tell you to upload a photo, and you'll be able to "choose file" and "upload photo" straight to that page.

Long story short, pay the $90, log back in, and you'll see where it tells you to upload the headshot.