2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contact a lawyer because I'm pretty sure that violates the cruel and unusual punishment clause of the 8th Amendment.

The Geneva convention also forbids this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you interviewing this week, just a PSA: call your hotels and make sure they are not closed due to power loss. I just reached mine to check in and they were closed, and nobody told me earlier. Nearly every hotel in the immediate area is booked up (took calling around for 45 min to get a new one) so just do this early.

For those of you interviewing this week, just a PSA: call your hotels and make sure they are not closed due to power loss. I just reached mine to check in and they were closed, and nobody told me earlier. Nearly every hotel in the immediate area is booked up (took calling around for 45 min to get a new one) so just do this early.

Yikes. What are you going to do?

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah - what's your plan at this point? I'd offer to help out, but I'm on the other coast. Good luck!

Does anyone know the address to the palm beach county campus for the MD/MPH interview?

Also, you can request to crash with a student host if you're not against the idea. Had someone stay with us last night.

Finally reviewed here. Crossing fingers for an II...

August 8. I took a huge chance and applied MD-PhD - it slows down the process considerably.
Regular MD here, been complete since the first week of August... but still haven't been scored.. bad sign?

Btw - how long did it take everyone to get IIs after getting scored?

Regular MD here, been complete since the first week of August... but still haven't been scored.. bad sign?

Probably not - I was just scored today. Miami is in really bad shape right now so I'm honestly surprised they updated my status.

Probably not - I was just scored today. Miami is in really bad shape right now so I'm honestly surprised they updated my status.
I'm late to the game...What does it mean to be "scored?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since the end of July and have yet to be scored.:bang:

Reactions: 1 users
I've been complete since the end of July and have yet to be scored.:bang:

Same I was complete 7/31 who knows my mcat is above average for there too so if they stratify it based on that I would think I would've been scored by now

Same I was complete 7/31 who knows my mcat is above average for there too so if they stratify it based on that I would think I would've been scored by now
I've been complete since early July and still haven't been scored and my MCAT is above their 90th percentile (although GPA is within the range)... i would guess I've been passed over

Some here who were admitted in previous years have mentioned that the portal might not show that you have been scored.

Is it too late to apply for Miami? I received a secondary back in July but never got around to finishing it.

Miami native here! I saw some posts about living expenses and commuting.. UMMSOM is located right at a Metro Rail stop. The cheapest option would probably be to live around any stop along the metro rail and then just hop on to travel to/from the medical school, would also save you the headache of traffic every morning. The stop around Dadeland has some nice new apartments that aren't too expensive.

Are there options that aren't all Undergraddie?

Does anyone know anything about the process after the interview? Do they meet in the next couple days to decide?
I saw something about "top 20" in the prior years thread but it was honestly confusing

Does anyone know anything about the process after the interview? Do they meet in the next couple days to decide?
I saw something about "top 20" in the prior years thread but it was honestly confusing

They have multiple admissions committee meeting days, around once per month, during which all members vote to make an average score for each interviewee while taking into account the notes the interviewer takes during the actual interview. Top 20ish scores are accepted after each meeting.

Last edited:
I've been complete since early July and still haven't been scored and my MCAT is above their 90th percentile (although GPA is within the range)... i would guess I've been passed over

I've also been complete since early July and have not been scored. Does anyone know how they score these apps and in what order? I'm tempted to call and make sure they have my app and didn't miss it or something...

Has anyone received II recently? I was scored around 09/15 and I'm wondering if any have gone out since, or if maybe they're still behind schedule on sending more II because of the hurricane

I received one today, not sure when I was scored but complete 08/25

So do they not have to score your app the first time they read it? I have an MCAT of 520+ and gpa>3.9 complete end of July, so unsure how this works lol. Feel like numbers wise I def would have been looked at by this point

So do they not have to score your app the first time they read it? I have an MCAT of 520+ and gpa>3.9 complete end of July, so unsure how this works lol. Feel like numbers wise I def would have been looked at by this point
With a score like that you can go to a much better school. Why this one?

Are there options that aren't all Undergraddie?

The med school campus and undergrad campus aren’t super close so there’s no undergrad housing near the med school campus as far as I know. On my interview day they said most med students live in condos in Brickell or south beach.

Reactions: 2 users
So ... I'm getting ready to send a mid-fall update to my schools and I was wondering if Miami is receptive to updates? Most schools either have a way of updating through the portal or explicitly state where to send updates (or NOT to send them). I'm not seeing anything for Miami. Has anyone sent in any updates or aware of their policy?

So ... I'm getting ready to send a mid-fall update to my schools and I was wondering if Miami is receptive to updates? Most schools either have a way of updating through the portal or explicitly state where to send updates (or NOT to send them). I'm not seeing anything for Miami. Has anyone sent in any updates or aware of their policy?

Yes! I sent an update earlier through email and they replied by saying thank you and that they added it to my file. :) Also at my interview, they said they are receptive to updates!

Yes! I sent an update earlier through email and they replied by saying thank you and that they added it to my file. :) Also at my interview, they said they are receptive to updates!

Perfect - thanks!

I actually had a lot of fun at my interview. Very surprising. I enjoyed this interview more than my interview at a top 10 school lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Would you mind sharing any interview tips? :)

Just be yourself and know your app and your reasons for pursuing medicine/why specifically at UM. Definitely recommend looking at the interview feedback page on sdn to get an idea of the types of questions they will ask. Very laid back overall though.

Reactions: 3 users
where does it say whether you've been scored or not?

I've been scored since mid-august. Does this mean I likely won't be getting an II?

Would you mind sharing any interview tips? :)
For me I developed quite a crush on my interviewer. A relatively young doc.... it definitely helped me come across as sweet and likeable but whatever works for you :)

Stupid question but when you send the update you have it attached as a file correct? Or like within the actual email itself? Not sure what file to send it as

Stupid question but when you send the update you have it attached as a file correct? Or like within the actual email itself? Not sure what file to send it as

Yea I attached it as a PDF! Just cause that's the format most other schools wanted also

Question: The portal has said I've been complete for a long time now, but I never got a "complete" email, and never received a "your app. has been scored email". Is this something I should worry about, or call them to see? Because nothing on the portal says that I've been scored either and was just curious if I should call or not. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.!

Question: The portal has said I've been complete for a long time now, but I never got a "complete" email, and never received a "your app. has been scored email". Is this something I should worry about, or call them to see? Because nothing on the portal says that I've been scored either and was just curious if I should call or not. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.!
I didn't get an email about my app being scored! I only saw when they changed the status on my portal

I didn't get an email about my app being scored! I only saw when they changed the status on my portal
I see! My portal just says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." So I'm assuming it has yet to be scored. Thanks for the info.

I don't think anyone has received emails - instead we've been checking periodically and are pleasantly surprised when we see updates.