2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are about 20 people at each interview day, right? That means of the people who were reviewed on October 6, a quarter to a third (depending on how many people get both an MD and an MD/MPH acceptance) will be getting in today at 5 pm.

Also, has anyone in past cycles bombed their interview badly enough to be rejected outright?

Members don't see this ad.

There are about 20 people at each interview day, right? That means of the people who were reviewed on October 6, a quarter to a third (depending on how many people get both an MD and an MD/MPH acceptance) will be getting in today at 5 pm.

Also, has anyone in past cycles bombed their interview badly enough to be rejected outright?

Hard to say. We do not know how many have been reviewed and if 20 is a strict number. I would predict more than a third to be honest.

I interviewed the very first day and they told us that only our interview day and the next week's would be considered in the first admissions committee meeting because they need to give the interviewers time to write the report, and the third week of interviewers wouldn't have enough time to write theirs in time for the first meeting. So based on that, there would only be about 40 people getting reviewed and then 20 accepted for this acceptance date! (Obvs who really knows, things can always change but that's what they told us!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the very first day and they told us that only our interview day and the next week's would be considered in the first admissions committee meeting because they need to give the interviewers time to write the report, and the third week of interviewers wouldn't have enough time to write theirs in time for the first meeting. So based on that, there would only be about 40 people getting reviewed and then 20 accepted for this acceptance date! (Obvs who really knows, things can always change but that's what they told us!)

How many were in your group? and what date was the first?

Do you possibly remember which date might be the third interview date? I interviewed pretty early but not sure how early :/

There were I think 16 of us? on 9/18-9/19

I was the same day and don't have a final decision yet, so agreed that not everyone will hear from the 3 dates but I doubt it's due to which date you were

Regarding rejections - historically they waitlist -> reject end of cycle but there was one poor soul who was rejected outright post interview on last year's thread. So it happens, but is likely rare.

How many were in your group? and what date was the first?

Do you possibly remember which date might be the third interview date? I interviewed pretty early but not sure how early :/

I was the same day and don't have a final decision yet, so agreed that not everyone will hear from the 3 dates but I doubt it's due to which date you were

Regarding rejections - historically they waitlist -> reject end of cycle but there was one poor soul who was rejected outright post interview on last year's thread. So it happens, but is likely rare.

Yeah everything is so variable through this process that its hardly worth stressing over (although its difficult not to). The good thing too is that they just have the pending list of applications that didn't get accepted this acceptance date still considered in every committee meeting so you have the chance of getting in every time they meet!

Dr. Gervais told me that 15 people would be accepted at a time (my interview started late, so I debriefed with her separately). Maybe it's 20 acceptances when you combine MD and MD/MPH, although I bet there's a lot of overlap.

Reactions: 1 users
not to draw attention away from acceptance notifications, but would it be worth sending in an update about my medical scribing job? i was employed over the summer so i listed it on my secondary applications but not on my AMCAS primary. i've worked 139 hours since august (part-time). or should i wait until i've accumulated more hours before i update?

not to draw attention away from acceptance notifications, but would it be worth sending in an update about my medical scribing job? i was employed over the summer so i listed it on my secondary applications but not on my AMCAS primary. i've worked 139 hours since august (part-time). or should i wait until i've accumulated more hours before i update?

Does Miami accept updates via email?

Edit: I'm dumb someone answered this above.

Also I'd say go for it sooner rather than later. Then maybe send another update with something else in a few months? From what I've seen on the forums it seems a lot of people believe you should send updates periodically because it lets the schools know you are continuously thinking about them.

Then again what do I know.... o_O

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Miami accept updates via email?

Edit: I'm dumb someone answered this above.

Also I'd say go for it sooner rather than later. Then maybe send another update with something else in a few months? From what I've seen on the forums it seems a lot of people believe you should send updates periodically because it lets the schools know you are continuously thinking about them.

Then again what do I know.... o_O

Clueless premeds advising other clueless premeds, I love it and am personally guilty of it :laugh:

I'll send the update at the end of the month, thanks for your reply!

:laugh::laugh:

Clueless premeds advising other clueless premeds, I love it and am personally guilty of it :laugh:

I'll send the update at the end of the month, thanks for your reply!

For what it's worth you have my clueless pre-med support. YOU GOT THIS

Highly unlikely that anyone knows the answer to this, but does anyone know how many people from the first wave of interviews never get an offer? My stats are way above the median and I have pretty outstanding ECs, so I assume my interview was not good.

Highly unlikely that anyone knows the answer to this, but does anyone know how many people from the first wave of interviews never get an offer? My stats are way above the median and I have pretty outstanding ECs, so I assume my interview was not good.

Did you ever get the 'final decision has been reached' status? If you are still stuck on 'interview report is under review' or 'will be reviewed a final time,' you won't hear back until the acceptance day following whenever you get that status

I figure the acceptance rates for earlier interviewees is slightly higher, but doubt it deviates much from the rumored 50-55% after all WL movement is said and done

My application is still saying that it is waiting for review. Its been like that for well over a month and a half. Should I be concerned or?

Did you ever get the 'final decision has been reached' status? If you are still stuck on 'interview report is under review' or 'will be reviewed a final time,' you won't hear back until the acceptance day following whenever you get that status

I figure the acceptance rates for earlier interviewees is slightly higher, but doubt it deviates much from the rumored 50-55% after all WL movement is said and done

If I ever got it, I didn't see it.

If I ever got it, I didn't see it.

If it never showed up on your status (acp2018.mededu.miami.edu/access_applicant_status) then they probably did not get to make a decision on your app. When it does show up on there, you should hear the following acceptance day. So no assuming a bad interview just yet!

If it never showed up on your status (acp2018.mededu.miami.edu/access_applicant_status) then they probably did not get to make a decision on your app. When it does show up on there, you should hear the following acceptance day. So no assuming a bad interview just yet!
Pretty sure one of the accepted folks ITT was on my interview day though.

Pretty sure one of the accepted folks ITT was on my interview day though.

Yeah, I'm also curious as to why we didn't get a decision. But according to the last couple threads, this happens every year to a handful of people. Seems like the person's application just gets spilled over to be looked at during the next acceptance meeting (10/25? I believe). People have been both waitlisted and accepted from this so I don't think there's really anything substantial to read into as to why we weren't reviewed.

Hopefully being compared to october interviewees for the next acceptances works in our favor!

Yeah, I'm also curious as to why we didn't get a decision. But according to the last couple threads, this happens every year to a handful of people. Seems like the person's application just gets spilled over to be looked at during the next acceptance meeting (10/25? I believe). People have been both waitlisted and accepted from this so I don't think there's really anything substantial to read into as to why we weren't reviewed.

Hopefully being compared to october interviewees for the next acceptances works in our favor!

Wait, so people have been explicitly waitlisted? I gathered that the way Miami works, you're waitlisted by default until you hear an actual decision.

Wait, so people have been explicitly waitlisted? I gathered that the way Miami works, you're waitlisted by default until you hear an actual decision.

Yup! During the listed meeting dates, every single adcom member assigns an application a score (Dr. Gervais said it was up to 5 points) based on the AMCAS primary app + secondary app + interview report. Taking the average becomes the final score for that application.

The final scores are ranked and the top 15-20 reviewed students get accepted outright. The remaining people are put on the alternate/wait list which is also ranked by these scores and looked at again every subsequent acceptance date. As acceptance dates continue throughout the year, if you are on the alt list and your final score falls within the top 20 scores among the freshly reviewed apps seen that day as well as the other apps remaining on the alt list, you get accepted as part of the 15-20 students.

So you're not on waitlist, you're just in limbo atm :) and I do know of a couple people who were put on the alternate list today, so unless you get an email about if you can stay hopeful

Last edited:
Don't wanna sound like a buzzkill, but I feel like it is unfair/unethical of UMiami to take our application fee and then not even read our applications. Completed for over 2 months now, still have not been scored.

Yup! During the listed meeting dates, every single adcom member assigns an application a score (Dr. Gervais said it was up to 5 points) based on the AMCAS primary app + secondary app + interview report. Taking the average becomes the final score for that application.

The final scores are ranked and the top 15-20 reviewed students get accepted outright. The remaining people are put on the alternate/wait list which is also ranked by these scores and looked at again every subsequent acceptance date. As acceptance dates continue throughout the year, if you are on the alt list and your final score falls within the top 20 scores among the freshly reviewed apps seen that day as well as the other apps remaining on the alt list, you get accepted as part of the 15-20 students.

So you're not on waitlist, you're just in limbo atm :) and I do know of a couple people who were put on the alternate list today, so unless you get an email about if you can stay hopeful

Thanks for clarifying. This is what I meant when I said that 20 at a time are accepted a few weeks ago. I forgot specifically what it was about (pre or post II) but I heard that word for word from an adcom.

Don't wanna sound like a buzzkill, but I feel like it is unfair/unethical of UMiami to take our application fee and then not even read our applications. Completed for over 2 months now, still have not been scored.

They might have read our application, but not scored it yet or updated the portal saying it was scored.

Also, they got hit by a pretty bad hurricane a month ago so they're probably super behind.

It's a tough ride but most people haven't heard from a lot of schools yet. I have yet to hear anything from 20 schools where I was complete ~2 months ago!

They might have read our application, but not scored it yet or updated the portal saying it was scored.

Also, they got hit by a pretty bad hurricane a month ago so they're probably super behind.

It's a tough ride but most people haven't heard from a lot of schools yet. I have yet to hear anything from 20 schools where I was complete ~2 months ago!

hopefully after they're done with acceptances more II will come out. People who haven't heard anything = me :/

Anyone interviewing MD/MPH next Monday/Tuesday (23rd-24th) wanna split a car rental? Please PM me!

So we haven't been voted on yet?

So we haven't been voted on yet?

Yeah that's my understanding. Sucks they didn't get to ours on time but people in the same position in previous years got their decision at the subsequent date, so just gotta hang tight.

Edit: Called and confirmed with admissions. They're still voting on us.

Yeah that's my understanding. Sucks they didn't get to ours on time but people in the same position in previous years got their decision at the subsequent date, so just gotta hang tight.

Edit: Called and confirmed with admissions. They're still voting on us.

Ah, that's a relief :)

ahh **** my portal says my app and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the adcom. interviewed early October

Anybody know if Miller looks at OOS students first or do they mix IS with OOS at the same time?

Hi all!

Wanted to drop in and remind everyone to feel free to PM me with questions about Miller, or post here and tag me (so that I get a notification).

We had respiratory (one of the best and hardest modules at Miami) followed by hurricane Irma and then renal (the other best and almost as hard modules) so I've been busy.

To those who got in on Oct 15th congrats and welcome to the Miller family!

To those who got waitlisted - don't worry. A good portion of our class (~50% I think) spends some time on the WL. I was on it for 6 months. Just keep your chin up and keep going! It'll all work out ;)

And remember - it's all about the U

IMG_7546.jpg
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 11 users
Post II. Interviewed late sept. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing I'll have to wait for next month?

Disclaimer I'm not associated jthe the UM adcom - just a MD student who loves his school

IMHO UM likes updates, but I wouldn't update them with this just yet. They read your whole app so they know you're scribing. Give it some time so you build up some serious hours then send an email. Showing interest is half the battler, but at the same time you don't want to bug them! It's a tough line to walk

No one knows this except the deans, but I'll say that if you interviewed early that improves your chances. More time on the list = more opportunities to be at the top of the list when they send acceptances. I wouldn't worry for a while!

My application is still saying that it is waiting for review. Its been like that for well over a month and a half. Should I be concerned or?

Nope this is normal. When you get >8000 apps per cycle it takes a while to get all 3 reviewers to read your app. Also sometimes the portal doesn't update to say you were already reviewed. No idea why lol.

You'll get a formal waitlisted email (and a paper letter) if they've decided to WL you.

Don't worry, everyone will get their app read and scored 3 times over. Given the app volume (>8000) it's an unfortunate reality that getting everyone scored takes a while. Also like I said above sometimes the portal doesn't update with reviewed status.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone submit secondary around September 22nd pass the "under review stage" yet?

submitted late july and have been reviewed since mid aug but its been silence ever since. not sure if i should take this as a silent rejection or if im just really low on the priority list..do they even do silent rejections?

Anyone know if silence after being scored in August means no II?

Anyone know if silence after being scored in August means no II?

Nope. Its a rolling list. Just need to be in the top X number of applicants when the IIs go out (they go out every couple weeks). No telling when you'll float to the top of the pile...it could be tomorrow or it could be in February.

I think what a lot of people are not realizing is that the app process isn't linear. Just because you submitted the day after they sent the secondary doesn't mean that you'll be the first to hear something back. This process is very nebulous and even I don't know how they choose to view their applicants.

It could very well be that they screened for a particular component of the app and you didn't make that screening. Based on how they want to build the class, they could have chosen another screening component for the next round of reviews, and again, you did not meet that criteria. Doesn't mean your time won't come.

No sense in stressing when you have no control over the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
What's the deal here? I was complete way back in July and have not been scored. Anyone else still in the silence boat?