2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email on Monday at 8am PDT for MD/MPH and thought I might hear today about MD. Maybe they are just doing rolling admissions now?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I’m confused it seems like no one heard back from here.. but then why would our statuses change
The email in the morning will reveal all, Or so I hope...

It could be that they just didn’t call or that we just didn’t get the call. Seems like it’s followed up with an email decision the next day so fingers crossed

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email on Monday at 8am PDT for MD/MPH and thought I might hear today about MD. Maybe they are just doing rolling admissions now?
They told everyone from the last couple weeks of interviews that today is when we would hear back. We’re you on the alternate list ever?

Members don't see this ad :)
They told everyone from the last couple weeks of interviews that today is when we would hear back. We’re you on the alternate list ever?

Yea my interview was in December and I was on the alternate list. Either way, A LOT of spots will open in the last week week of April and first week of May.

Interviewed on 3/16 and they said 4/4 would be the *first* day we could hear back. Was a little discouraged because on the Hub app there's an acceptance schedule saying calls/emails are made on set Wednesdays at 5PM but it ended on March 21st. Feeling better that everyone is as confused and anxious as me!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, just woulda liked to have gone to the second look next week
Interviewed on 3/16 and they said 4/4 would be the *first* day we could hear back. Was a little discouraged because on the Hub app there's an acceptance schedule saying calls/emails are made on set Wednesdays at 5PM but it ended on March 21st. Feeling better that everyone is as confused and anxious as me!
fairly certain everyone’s acceptance email has come the next day, so that gives me some hope for tomorrow. I’m interested to how these alternate list acceptances have been given out, how does that work in regard to the “master list” we’ve been told about? Is it now rolling like someone above said?

Yeah, just woulda liked to have gone to the second look next week

fairly certain everyone’s acceptance email has come the next day, so that gives me some hope for tomorrow. I’m interested to how these alternate list acceptances have been given out, how does that work in regard to the “master list” we’ve been told about? Is it now rolling like someone above said?

They only have one master list. You are told you are on the alternate list if you're not directly at the top.

Been on the alt list since November... these acceptance days kill me.

Members don't see this ad :)
No word yet. I called because I’m obsessing lol and they said April 4th is the first day and to just wait for an email

Medical school Adcoms: Lol you premeds are so anxious/neurotic.

Also adcoms: You can expect to hear back any time between today and the day before class starts. So keep checking your email/phone!

Reactions: 9 users
Medical school Adcoms: Lol you premeds are so anxious/neurotic.

Also adcoms: You can expect to hear back any time between today and the day before class starts. So keep checking your email/phone!
Literally I think every admissions dean has said some version of that at my interviews

Good luck to all of us, I would honored to go to medical school with everyone on this thread.

Reactions: 6 users
Small is a very subjective especially when you say "up to 15" and we don't know what you got. I know MIami gives 10-30k a year merit scholarships renewable each year and also diversity based ones as well. I think a few people in this thread have gotten 10k a year and many probably more.

Has anyone had success negotiating financial aid here? I got a small scholarship but I know they go up to 15k/year

I just e-mailed admissions on Wednesday saying that I have been offered scholarships at other schools and that although I want to attend Miami, financials have to be part of the decision. then I pretty much asked if I am under consideration to receive a merit scholarship. I was accepted March 7th and didn't pick a program until a couple weeks later, so maybe that delayed things but I told them I want to know before April 30th. Have not received a response yet lol but will post if I do.

Has everyone that has received financial aid/scholarships accepted and paid the deposit on Canelink? I see that there is an option to accept on Canelink but requires payment. Does this have to be done to receive awards or nah

Has everyone that has received financial aid/scholarships accepted and paid the deposit on Canelink? I see that there is an option to accept on Canelink but requires payment. Does this have to be done to receive awards or nah
Na, I got a letter in the mail before accepting on cane link or anything. One of the letters says we don’t have to do the deposit on canelink until May 15.

Has anyone heard anything about the Betty Siegel Reader Scholarship? I think we're supposed to find out this week.

Or even later. I have a feeling we won’t be hearing much news if any at all until traffic day.

I would think that too except people have been getting the 7 days or less status update. Technically it's been 8 days since Welshman got that update so (s)he could contact admissions.

Of course you could be right because nothing is certain in this process.

Probably going to have to wait until this Wednesday/Thursday, mate.
The day before second look, that’d be cold lol
I would think that too except people have been getting the 7 days or less status update. Technically it's been 8 days since Welshman got that update so (s)he could contact admissions.

Of course you could be right because nothing is certain in this process.
I did contact admissions, the lady on the phone told me that I would get an email by the end of the day. However, our esteemed colleague soccergirl also contacted admissions and she was told a couple of weeks....

I have a feeling they've abandoned the wednesday thursday routine because we didnt hear anything last week. We'll see by 6pm today if anything occurs, if not I have no idea what is happening lol. It would be really nice to go to second look this week though

Reactions: 3 users
The day before second look, that’d be cold lol

I did contact admissions, the lady on the phone told me that I would get an email by the end of the day. However, our esteemed colleague soccergirl also contacted admissions and she was told a couple of weeks....

I have a feeling they've abandoned the wednesday thursday routine because we didnt hear anything last week. We'll see by 6pm today if anything occurs, if not I have no idea what is happening lol. It would be really nice to go to second look this week though

Sorry you’re going through this bud :/ keep up the faith!

lol my status still hasnt changed to the 7 days thing and i interviewed 2nd week of march. im not expecting anything til the end of this month

Did anyone receive a message in CaneLink that their financial award is available, but when you go to check your financial award, it's still "access denied"?

Quick Financial Aid Question:
Ok, so I just received the email and CaneLink message saying that my financial aid award came through, however, when I go to the "Accept/Decline Awards" or the "View Financial Aid" section on CaneLink, it still says that my award access is not available and won't let me click on it.
Has anyone else had the same problem or have any idea what I need to do to get this fixed? Gonna call the financial aid office in the morning, but wondering if anyone else had answers before I call.

How long does it take for them to send you a caneid? Also did anyone else get accepted for MD/MPH through email but was sent a MD acceptance in the mail? Maybe they made a typo but now I dont know which program(s) I got into... Also my portal is still the same 7 days after me acceptance email...

Some one posted this over at UCF section.

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

UCF: 32/114 = 28%
UM: 43/190 = 23%
UF: 27/130 = 21%
USF: 26/158 = 16%
FSU: 11/108 = 10%
FAU: NO DATA
FIU: NO DATA

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Is it true?

Hello everyone! I’m an accepted student for the UCF COM Class of 2022 and I’m writing to share some comparative data from the 2018 match lists for medical schools in the state of Florida (I had the day off from work and stumbled onto this project lol). Some quick background info; I have some significant experiences in a certain “competitive” surgical subspecialty field and I’m convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I will be pursuing this field. My question was quite simple: which Florida medical school most successfully matched students into “competitive” specialties in 2018. I defined a competitive specialty as one that had an average Step 1 score of over 240. This left me with Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, Ortho, ENT, Uro, and Neuro Sx. The methods and data should be self-explanatory. Without further adieu:

I hope that this info will be useful to those who hold multiple acceptances to Florida medical schools and are interested in a “competitive” specialty. I hope that you all will choose UCF and join me in leading this program to continued preeminence in medical education and match.

- Future Knight

Although the data is technically be true, it's still subject to the motivation of each particular class and ignores those seeking competitive IM subspecialties. It is true that schools that match competitively may make in roads into those specific programs, but it is more important to note that matching into a competitive speciality depends on the student's efforts and is not dictated by the school. This isn't to knock UCF, moreso to not discount schools based on this.

Although the data is technically be true, it's still subject to the motivation of each particular class and ignores those seeking competitive IM subspecialties. It is true that schools that match competitively may make in roads into those specific programs, but it is more important to note that matching into a competitive speciality depends on the student's efforts and is not dictated by the school. This isn't to knock UCF, moreso to not discount schools based on this.
Building on this, it seems that most schools really push people towards primary care nowadays and try to attract students who go into it. For example, UMs MPH matriculates 50 students who have an existing preference towards PC. So it may speak towards how good each school is at recruiting students who want to go into PC as much as it does about schools helping students gun for competitive specialities. I think there are too many factors for this to be a meaningful metric

If your financial aid award isn’t accessible on Canelink even though they emailed you, send the admissions office an email. That’s what I did and it became available the same day!

Is it true?

- Future Knight

“I hope that you all willchoose UCF and join me in leading thisprogram to continued preeminence inmedical education and match.”

That’s a bit dramatic lol. As everyone else has said, going into PC doesn’t mean you don’t match well or that you don’t do as well as your colleagues, at all. I would say a better indicator of match strength is residency director score, and I think Miami’s is like 3.3. I don’t know what UCFs is, (and I don’t really care I’m not here to compete with UCF) but I don’t think this is a good way to break down specialty choice in matching at all.

Is it true?

- Future Knight

pzv5j7l.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know why my financial aid package would be for 74k for the MD program if the estimated COA is 69k? Is that what everyone’s was around?