2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you get an email that the fin aid was available? Mine was only accessible once I logged in using chrome, I kept getting an error message before that. Also I haven't received too much pre-matriculation information from them just yet.

Thank you for the reply! I have not received such email yet...Did you get it from admission office? Have they contacted you about submission of FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the reply! I have not received such email yet...Did you get it from admission office? Have they contacted you about submission of FAFSA?
I was accepted April 2 and didn't get fin aid access til last week. They do packages in rolling bursts so I would just wait and it will eventually be released.

I was accepted April 2 and didn't get fin aid access til last week. They do packages in rolling bursts so I would just wait and it will eventually be released.

Thank you for the reply! I might as well wait for a while....They must be swamped by receiving withdrawal and sending acceptance now lol....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to double triple check, is there anything we should do to ensure that our spot in the class has been reserved? I know there's an accept offer/pay deposit option on the portal but I was told we can wait until after April 30th to receive all the prematriculation information

I'm planning on withdrawing from this school. It was a tough choice to give up the MD/MPH program. Is there a way I can formally withdraw on the portal?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Just to double triple check, is there anything we should do to ensure that our spot in the class has been reserved? I know there's an accept offer/pay deposit option on the portal but I was told we can wait until after April 30th to receive all the prematriculation information

I emailed Dean Weisman to confirm I’m matriculating here and ask if anything else needed to be done/would be helpful for internal tallies of full commits and he said no.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed Dean Weisman to confirm I’m matriculating here and ask if anything else needed to be done/would be helpful for internal tallies of full commits and he said no.
What email address did u send to if u don’t mind sharing? I need to email him about a scholarship offer I guess. You can PM me if you don’t want to post it publicly lol.

I'm planning on withdrawing from this school. It was a tough choice to give up the MD/MPH program. Is there a way I can formally withdraw on the portal?
If you log in to CaneLink and scroll down to the bottom, you can click through the accept/withdraw process.

To be safe, I would also email the Admissions office. Hope that helps!

What email address did u send to if u don’t mind sharing? I need to email him about a scholarship offer I guess. You can PM me if you don’t want to post it publicly lol.

It was in the acceptance email (for anyone else wanting to know where to find it), but I’ll send it to you by PM!

After a lot of tough thought, I withdrew my acceptance here! The response e-mail was very long and thought-out, and I really appreciated that. Goodluck to everyone. I will definitely be doing some away rotations here :)

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you so much! This might sound silly but how do you address the Dean in an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! This might sound silly but how do you address the Dean in an email?
I emailed the admissions email to confirm my MD/MPH spot and got a response immediately. I also said I was waiting on the MD decision and one other schools program to give them as much info as possible. They are probably actively updating their list so it wouldn't hurt to email your specific circumstances to confirm your spot and tell them the likelihood of your matriculation.

Officially withdrew. Declining this one was really hard since I loved my interview day here. The Dean replied back saying that maybe I could come back again for residency. Definitely near the top of my list. Good luck to everyone here!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew today acceptance with $100K merit scholarship. Hope it goes to someone who needs it like I did!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how to be invited into private FB group? Still looking for a roommate to share the housing cost....

Does anyone know how to be invited into private FB group? Still looking for a roommate to share the housing cost....
You will get an email with the link. There is a google doc with the list of people looking for roommates so it won’t be a problem.

Officially done with M2, wooooooo!

Time for step 1 :scared::help::barf:

Happy to see so many people are going to be future ‘Canes.

For those of you on the waitlist - things are just beginning, don’t lose hope. This is the time when things really start to heat up

Reactions: 5 users
Officially done with M2, wooooooo!

Time for step 1 :scared::help::barf:

Happy to see so many people are going to be future ‘Canes.

For those of you on the waitlist - things are just beginning, don’t lose hope. This is the time when things really start to heat up
Good luck bud. You better kill it so u can come back and tell us how great UM prepped you for it

Reactions: 2 users
Am I correct in recalling that at the interview day they said we could give them a call in May to ask if we have a fighting chance on the alt list?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m curious do we think we might have a chance for scholarship even if accepted from the waitlist?

Am I correct in recalling that at the interview day they said we could give them a call in May to ask if we have a fighting chance on the alt list?

Dean Weisman is remarkably transparent and communicative. Don’t hesitate for a second to reach out to him with a politely worded email.

Reactions: 1 users
Dean Weisman is remarkably transparent and communicative. Don’t hesitate for a second to reach out to him with a politely worded email.
Should I email him directly, or reach out through the general admissions email?

Did anyone else receive a call yesterday asking if they were still interested in being on the alternate list?

Did anyone else receive a call yesterday asking if they were still interested in being on the alternate list?
did you not send an email to them saying you wanted to be kept on the alternate list? if not, maybe that's why they called you

I’m curious do we think we might have a chance for scholarship even if accepted from the waitlist?

My friend got in off the waitlist a couple cycles ago and was offered a scholarship!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been successful leveraging a more generous scholarship here? I was offered a substantial scholarship at another med school but Miami is my first choice.

Does everyone doing MD/MPH basically have roommates now? Still haven't gotten the link to the fb group.....

Does everyone doing MD/MPH basically have roommates now? Still haven't gotten the link to the fb group.....

Definitely not everyone! Though I'm sure lots of people are getting settled. I'm personally super hesitant to make any firm plans because some things are still up in the air for me and I don't want to back out and screw anyone over. I'm thinking of finding a sublet for the summer and sorting out something permanent once I get there...

Did you have other offers and scholarships?

At this point I’ve withdrawn everywhere else so I feel like I showed my hand lol.

I did have one other offer I was still holding but I don’t think it could hurt to at least call and ask! Especially now that people who were holding large scholarships have dropped

Miller, in general, has a reputation for being very money responsive for accepted students. My own experience strongly agrees.

Hoping for some movement today :xf:

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when we should expect to be able to access financial aid in the cane link post acceptance? I was accepted two weeks ago but sill can not access it. I emailed the admission office a while ago but got no response.

Accepted off of alt list today. Landed on the alt list back in November. MD/MPH!

Last edited:
Anyone know, historically, how far down the alternate list they go? MSAR shows that there are 30-40 waitlist positions and 30 acceptances are granted from the waitlist, but that doesn't seem right to me :thinking:

Anyone know, historically, how far down the alternate list they go? MSAR shows that there are 30-40 waitlist positions and 30 acceptances are granted from the waitlist, but that doesn't seem right to me :thinking:
Doesn’t sound like those numbers add up....

No idea how far down the list they go but in theory everyone who interviewed is somewhere on the alternate list. So definitely more than 30 people...

It probably varies a lot year to year depending on the class dynamics and such.

Does anyone have an idea of what all we need for matriculation? I assume background check, drug screening, immunizations. Do you need to get an official transcript sent? Do we need a letter from the dean/student conduct records? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Does anyone have an idea of what all we need for matriculation? I assume background check, drug screening, immunizations. Do you need to get an official transcript sent? Do we need a letter from the dean/student conduct records? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

ImageUploadedBySDN1525354740.427197.jpg

https://www.aamc.org/download/440110/data/immunizationform.pdf

Dunno about drug screen, but I was told more information will be coming soon.