2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks dude! I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet so I'm in the dark. Appreciate the info!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who may not have, I received an email for the pre-matriculation website this morning.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does this mean?

It means that sometimes people don't receive emails - due to spam filtering, send error or other snafus - and I'm letting people know that they should be looking for their pre-matriculation information if they are matriculating at Miller. :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know what the orientation schedule looks like? I couldn't find it on the site or on past posts. Trying to figure out if my family is allowed to attend any part of it!

Has anyone on the alt-list tried contacting admissions to ask where they stand? IIRC Dr. Weisman mentioned that they'd let us know. Was thinking about calling today but didn't know if it was too early.

If you email the admissions office they will forward the email to his, and he'll let you know vaguely your chances of getting off alt list. He is accepting these requests atm as far as I know.

It means that sometimes people don't receive emails - due to spam filtering, send error or other snafus - and I'm letting people know that they should be looking for their pre-matriculation information if they are matriculating at Miller. :thumbup:

Also received mine and was accepted very recently, but yet to get the CaneLink email

so i emailed weisman and this is what i got :
"It is unlikely that we will be accepting additional applicants from the Alternate List."
not sure if this applies to just me but i thought i would let people know

Reactions: 2 users
"It is unlikely that we will be accepting additional applicants from the Alternate List."
Lol. So much for the “tons of alternate list movement” everyone spoke about :laugh:

I'm not sure how they can say that with such certainty at this point. But if it came from Dr. Weisman himself then I suppose that's that.

+1

How is it that schools aren't having much waitlist movement? It's like this at almost all of the schools, and even the waitlist tracker is sorta empty compared to what I expected.

Did all of the schools just over fill the class prior to traffic day, and then when people dropped ended up with exactly the right number?? LOL seems crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it that schools aren't having much waitlist movement? It's like this at almost all of the schools, and even the waitlist tracker is sorta empty compared to what I expected.

Did all of the schools just over fill the class prior to traffic day, and then when people dropped ended up with exactly the right number?? LOL seems crazy

Even if they have the exact right number now there's no way they can know for sure if students in their current class won't withdraw their admission when they get off the WL at another school.

Other school's WLs are still moving. How can they be so sure they are done admitting from their own waitlist on May 9th?

Reactions: 1 user
Even if they have the exact right number now there's no way they can know for sure if students in their current class won't withdraw their admission when they get off the WL at another school.

Other school's WLs are still moving. How can they be so sure they are done admitting from their own waitlist on May 9th?

They would know nobody will get accepted off alt list if they overaccepted already. I know of a couple people who fell in love with UM at second look and turned down more prestigious schools for them, which makes me believe this is the case.

They would know nobody will get accepted off alt list if they overaccepted already. I know of a couple people who fell in love with UM at second look and turned down more prestigious schools for them, which makes me believe this is the case.

Yeah, that's true. It's very interesting that we hear about this basically as hearsay on an internet forum. This process is brutal.

does anyone know what the orientation schedule looks like? I couldn't find it on the site or on past posts. Trying to figure out if my family is allowed to attend any part of it!

Not really much of an orientation type deal - there's one day where they slam you with all rules/regulations/etc and then boom, you start day 2 with lectures. We don't have a white coat ceremony, instead we have what's known as the pinning ceremony in the beginning of March - that's more so when they invite the alumni, families, etc.

I was accepted nearly 2 months ago and have no gotten any financial aid. Anyone else in that spot :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was accepted nearly 2 months ago and have no gotten any financial aid. Anyone else in that spot :/

Email Dr. Weisman! No guarantee it will work, but they responded favorably to my petitions.

I was accepted around the same time. I requested and was granted an expedited scholarship decision, but I had the leverage of the impending traffic day and scholarships at other schools. Miami has a reputation for being money receptive, but I'm afraid you may not have much of a bargain chip now. Email Dr. Weisman anyway. He's pretty great about this.

(Also, I'm assuming you mean you haven't gotten a scholarship offer. If you haven't gotten your loan package, that's a problem.)

I was accepted around the same time. I requested and was granted an expedited scholarship decision, but I had the leverage of the impending traffic day and scholarships at other schools. Miami has a reputation for being money receptive, but I'm afraid you may not have much of a bargain chip now. Email Dr. Weisman anyway. He's pretty great about this.

(Also, I'm assuming you mean you haven't gotten a scholarship offer. If you haven't gotten your loan package, that's a problem.)
I emailed twice with no response. But yea I have no leverage either...

What are yall doing about apartments? I noticed my loans dispurse on the 3rd of August, but orientation is like less than a week after that.

What are yall doing about apartments? I noticed my loans dispurse on the 3rd of August, but orientation is like less than a week after that.
So from what I understand you will likely need to have 2 months worth of rent money (first month and a deposit) before the loans disperse. If you don't have cash savings, some credit cards allow you to use checks which you could then pay off with your loans when you get them.

I'm not sure if there's another way to handle it, but this is likely what I will do.

So from what I understand you will likely need to have 2 months worth of rent money (first month and a deposit) before the loans disperse. If you don't have cash savings, some credit cards allow you to use checks which you could then pay off with your loans when you get them.

I'm not sure if there's another way to handle it, but this is likely what I will do.

@tommytwoties

Yea, unfortunately, you'll have to find a way to make it work. Lori and Maggy in Financial Aid are well-aware of the challenges that students face and try to be as helpful as they can but the medschool's fin aid office is subject to the disbursment rules of the overall university's financial aid services that finance the undergrad and all other grad/professional programs.

Anyway, it depends on the place but you (or your roommate(s) if you have them) will need at least First Months rent and the deposit equal to 1 month's rent. Some places make you do first, last, and deposit so essentially rent x3 to get your foot in the door.

Also if you live in a high-rise, there will be two other fees: Condominium Association Application which may or may not include background check (about $100 per person, non-refundable) and 2) there will likely be an elevator deposit or fee. My first building had a $500 deposit so I got that back whereas the place I live now had a non-refundable fee which was $500 too I think. But again, keep in mind that if you'll have a roommate(s), the total costs will be split but that's still a substantial amount of money lol.

When shopping places, I'd also ask the realtors which places do surety bonds instead of deposits. The bonds are typically substantially cheaper (maybe like 1-2 hundred bucks total which could also possibly be split between roommates) which makes move-in cheaper BUT you don't get that money back.

I wish someone would have told me these things beforehand so I'm passing it along haha. Moving is the most annoying thing to do but once you're in, you're good.

Last edited:
Can anyone give any info on student housing? I remember them vaguely talking about it during my interview day ( I think I remember them mentioning Brickell...). I was unable to attend 2nd look...

Can anyone give any info on student housing? I remember them vaguely talking about it during my interview day ( I think I remember them mentioning Brickell...). I was unable to attend 2nd look...

I think they were saying that that's where most students live - there is no student housing.

Thanks @teeayejay !

I guess my only other question is, how do students afford Brickell? After subtracting the rent for a year from my loans, plus tuition and fees, I'd have like $2,000 leftover to live on unless I'm doing the math wrong.

Also does anyone know where we can look for housing (and getting roommates)?

how do we get added to the facebook page? I never received any info about it

I need to find a roommate or sublease to move in to around June 19th. (I'm the one looking)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UM offers full tution scholarships to most of their MD/MPH students? I’ve been hearing this a lot.

Ok sorry lol it was just a rumor I heard. maybe they’ll give you a little something something.
I think a lot of people get travel grants to do research. Something like a $5,000 grant. Not full tuition haha

Has anyone gotten any checks in the prematriculation website? I’ve been going about some of them and sent in my transcripts but still see nothing checked off and it’s making me rlly nervous

Has anyone gotten any checks in the prematriculation website? I’ve been going about some of them and sent in my transcripts but still see nothing checked off and it’s making me rlly nervous
Same thing is happening to me I wouldn’t worry about it too much!

My background check and deposit slots have turned into checks, the FL residency, transcript, and immunization ones I also sent in have yet to

For anyone who has received scholarship money, what were your stats (UW GPA/MCAT)? I'm especially curious to see stats about people who got $30,000 Scholarships as well as the Full Ride Reader Scholarship.

I'm applying this coming cycle, but I don't see a 2018-19 thread yet, so I'm hoping one of y'all can help me out. I'm applying MD and MD/MPH so the miami website says to apply regular MD and then indicate you want MD and MD/MPH on the secondary; however AMCAS has options for applying to MD or MD/MPH on the primary. Was it like this for y'all last year as well? Did you submit two primaries (one MD and one MD/MPH) or just the one MD primary and then indicate on the secondary?

I'm applying this coming cycle, but I don't see a 2018-19 thread yet, so I'm hoping one of y'all can help me out. I'm applying MD and MD/MPH so the miami website says to apply regular MD and then indicate you want MD and MD/MPH on the secondary; however AMCAS has options for applying to MD or MD/MPH on the primary. Was it like this for y'all last year as well? Did you submit two primaries (one MD and one MD/MPH) or just the one MD primary and then indicate on the secondary?
You only submit one primary. I don’t think it matters which program you check off, as on the secondary everyone has an option to apply to the combined program. (It’s all the same secondary but the combined program has a few additional essays)

Does anyone know if UM offers full tution scholarships to most of their MD/MPH students? I’ve been hearing this a lot.

I wish. I know of one of my classmates that's on a full-ride but most everyone else is taking out loans haha

@teeayejay do you happen to know how often we have to abide by the dress code? If you go to lecture do you have to dress professionally? What about over the summer for the MPH classes?

hi everyone,

I was wondering if ya'll think there is any hope for seats to open up any time soon for us waitlisters? Do people typically drops seats at this point given that its mid May?

@teeayejay do you happen to know how often we have to abide by the dress code? If you go to lecture do you have to dress professionally? What about over the summer for the MPH classes?

I vaguely remember from interview day that we only need to dress up when patients are involved in class or if we are visiting a clinical site

hi everyone,
I was wondering if ya'll think there is any hope for seats to open up any time soon for us waitlisters? Do people typically drops seats at this point given that its mid May?

If you email Dean Weisman (or the main office -> forwarded to him) he will share your likelihood of getting in off alt list