2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@teeayejay do you happen to know how often we have to abide by the dress code? If you go to lecture do you have to dress professionally? What about over the summer for the MPH classes?

What dress code? lol

But no seriously, you might want to look halfway decent during public health for the first couple weeks and then again for the first couple weeks of medical courses lol. After a while, everyone will relax a bit. Otherwise, professional dress is only necessary when seeing patients, etc. It will become very obvious when you'll need to dress up, otherwise we bum it out haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I vaguely remember from interview day that we only need to dress up when patients are involved in class or if we are visiting a clinical site

If you email Dean Weisman (or the main office -> forwarded to him) he will share your likelihood of getting in off alt list
Has he told you this? Or anyone one you know of? A few people have told me that he’s said there is a very slim chance of them taking anyone from the WL but I’ll reach out if it is informative...

Reactions: 1 users
I know this has been discussed before (but can't find the posts for it in this long thread), but any other incoming students intimidated by the internal rankings for pre-clinical years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has he told you this? Or anyone one you know of? A few people have told me that he’s said there is a very slim chance of them taking anyone from the WL but I’ll reach out if it is informative...
do you know what email we can reach him at?

I know this has been discussed before (but can't find the posts for it in this long thread), but any other incoming students intimidated by the internal rankings for pre-clinical years?

Not at all. But I'm not looking to go into anything especially competitive and I'm so relieved from being able to dump off undergrad GPA baggage from over a decade ago that I feel like I'm playing on house money now.

But otherwise, the general justification is that almost everywhere will have internal rankings if simply for the sake of AOA. So we're not really different than the majority.

Not at all. But I'm not looking to go into anything especially competitive and I'm so relieved from being able to dump off undergrad GPA baggage from over a decade ago that I feel like I'm playing on house money now.

But otherwise, the general justification is that almost everywhere will have internal rankings if simply for the sake of AOA. So we're not really different than the majority.

Cheers to getting rid of that undergrad GPA baggage haha.

Also not concerned. I’m unsure what my interests are, but to match a competitive specialty you have to do well anyway. It doesn’t really matter how many classmates you do better or worse than; your step 1 and clinical scores are what will matter most. Kind of a derivative way to look at it, but really, not concerned at all.

You are supposed to email the official admissions email. Just direct the email Dr. Weissman and he will see it.

How exactly did you "direct" it to Dean Weissman? Did to just address the email to him, but send it to the admissions committee email? Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

How exactly did you "direct" it to Dean Weissman? Did to just address the email to him, but send it to the admissions committee email? Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

The email was sent to the med admissions email. But I began the email with something like:

"Dear Dr. Weissman,

"

Put his name in the subject line.

Please, please let this go. This is already the wrong mindset to have. Don't start medical school worried about your classmates' grades.

The reality is that each person has an upper limit, your job is to worry about reaching yours because, try as you might, you can't control your classmates' performance.

In all honesty, your pre-clinical grades only matter if you failed a couple modules, repeated a year, etc - if you're the average student, they just want to make sure you passed everything and will go straight to your Step 1 score and clinical grades.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pls WL, begin moving
I unsubscribed from this thread because I ended up getting off a waitlist but I just wanted to let any waitlister’s know that I know 2 other people who just got off wl’s and will be withdrawing.

I unsubscribed from this thread because I ended up getting off a waitlist but I just wanted to let any waitlister’s know that I know 2 other people who just got off wl’s and will be withdrawing.
Thats amazing news, MD or MD/MPH?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if ya'll knew whether we will be drug tested before our MPH classes start this summer/when we are likely to be drug tested?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if ya'll knew whether we will be drug tested before our MPH classes start this summer/when we are likely to be drug tested?
lol don't do drugs... drugs are bad mmmkay. If you're worried, you have plenty of time for "insert drug here" to clear your system haha

Last edited:

It might be different since I'm two years removed from the process but we weren't drug tested. I'd err on the side of caution though lol. You definitely have to get tested before clinical though and that's standard.

Accepted MD today. What a wild ride this process has been.

Reactions: 9 users
For those matriculating: Does anyone know if we just email admissions that we finished reading the handbook or is there a form in there that we sign?

I don't see any form in there that we sign affirming that we read the handbook (or if someone can help direct me to the page #). I see signature lines for the Physician Evaluation form but I don't think that's the one ...

For those matriculating: Does anyone know if we just email admissions that we finished reading the handbook or is there a form in there that we sign?

I don't see any form in there that we sign affirming that we read the handbook (or if someone can help direct me to the page #). I see signature lines for the Physician Evaluation form but I don't think that's the one ...
There’s a form you sign. I’m on mobile now but when I get a chance I’ll take a peek to try to find it

I wish accepted students would post on the FB page. I always hated when there were posts on here not relating to the waitlist/the current app cycle.

I wish accepted students would post on the FB page. I always hated when there were posts on here not relating to the waitlist/the current app cycle.
Why? It just gets my hopes up and let’s me down every time, nbd

Officially withdrew from my last waitlist this morning (Miami)!! Good luck everyone, wherever y'all end up you will do great things!

how long did it take to find out about scholarships after you filled out the application?

I was wondering if anyone knew the interview schedule for the palm beach location?
I’m trying to book a flight and they haven’t sent login for the hub for info on interview day just trying to find out when the day ends

I was wondering if anyone knew the interview schedule for the palm beach location?
I’m trying to book a flight and they haven’t sent login for the hub for info on interview day just trying to find out when the day ends

I don't remember what the official schedule was but I got done with mine last year around 2pm! Depending on where you're flying out of you'll want to allow a bit of time for travel to the airport as well

My day ended around 2pm also, and I drove straight to the airport in heavy traffic(it was a Tuesday).

Last year our day ended around 2 or 3 I think. Enough time for me to get down to ft lauderdale via train with tons of time before my 8 pm flight.

Pro tip: fly out of west palm beach airport if you can

Hi! I have me interview coming up and um’s my top choice! Anyone willing to share some feedback/expectations? Especially for md/mph. Is it laid back, open file conversational? Or standard list of questions they ask interviewees?

Hi! I have me interview coming up and um’s my top choice! Anyone willing to share some feedback/expectations? Especially for md/mph. Is it laid back, open file conversational? Or standard list of questions they ask interviewees?

MD interview is really chill. It’s an hour long - they’ll ask you why medicine and why Miami. Usually ask why md-only or Md/mph as well. Then there’s a few ethical scenarios that they use mostly to spur conversation...stuff like givimg a jehovas witness a blood transfusion.

It’s open file and the interviewer should be someone who read your whole app already.

Anyone who was debating between MD and MD MPH have extra insight from second look or maybe after starting the program? Recently got accepted to both and have to decide but want as much info as possible

Anyone who was debating between MD and MD MPH have extra insight from second look or maybe after starting the program? Recently got accepted to both and have to decide but want as much info as possible

Back in the day when I was making this choice, I looked at the major features of each program to decide what I wanted:

Training at Jackson and fewer mandatory classes made MD my preferred program. UMs MD track has great flexibility compared to almost any program in the country, which allowed me to build out the extracurriculars I wanted and focus on stuff I enjoyed. MD also gets a 6 week summer, which can be used for research, travel, or whatever else you want.

MPH on the other hand is amazing if you desire to work seriously in the field of public health. Basically you are trading a lot of the free time and flexibility that comes with MD for a well defined additional course of study folded into your degree.

Also MPH does M3 in west palm beach. The hospital there is a private community hospital, and med students mostly use the preceptor model (one med student with one attending) rather than the ward team model (multiple med students + intern + resident + fellow with an attending). Both have their pros and cons - I enjoy the team model but it’s just personal preference.

MD also is a larger class compared to MPH. Again it’s just personal preference if you’d rather be in a class of 150 (MD) or 50 (MD/MPH).

In all they’re both amazing programs, and congrats on your acceptances! Can’t really go wrong with either program.

Back in the day when I was making this choice, I looked at the major features of each program to decide what I wanted:

Training at Jackson and fewer mandatory classes made MD my preferred program. UMs MD track has great flexibility compared to almost any program in the country, which allowed me to build out the extracurriculars I wanted and focus on stuff I enjoyed. MD also gets a 6 week summer, which can be used for research, travel, or whatever else you want.

MPH on the other hand is amazing if you desire to work seriously in the field of public health. Basically you are trading a lot of the free time and flexibility that comes with MD for a well defined additional course of study folded into your degree.

Also MPH does M3 in west palm beach. The hospital there is a private community hospital, and med students mostly use the preceptor model (one med student with one attending) rather than the ward team model (multiple med students + intern + resident + fellow with an attending). Both have their pros and cons - I enjoy the team model but it’s just personal preference.

MD also is a larger class compared to MPH. Again it’s just personal preference if you’d rather be in a class of 150 (MD) or 50 (MD/MPH).

In all they’re both amazing programs, and congrats on your acceptances! Can’t really go wrong with either program.
That was very helpful. Thank you!

Yes, thank you. I actually ended up choosing the MD program as well.