2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone think I'd be looked down upon for using the passion I wrote about as one of my three interests?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think I'd be looked down upon for using the passion I wrote about as one of my three interests?
I don't think so- I just asked a family friend who goes there about this and she said it wouldn't matter at all, as long as it's a unique passion and not something like "learning"

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm gonna write up a why Michigan essay

After looking at other threads, it seems like it's not a great idea to do this as adcoms view it as being a tryhard, and Oakland specifically mentioned on Twitter not to do this for their school, so it probably could only hurt. It's probably more for explaining something not on your application.

Are you all putting anything for the "Is there any other information you would like to provide to us at this time? (optional)" Would it be appropriate to write a small "why Michigan?" essay or an adversity essay or something, or is it more for explaining something on your application if needed?
I'm a career changer and I used it to talk about my business degree and how that has helped me in my clinical experiences.

After looking at other threads, it seems like it's not a great idea to do this as adcoms view it as being a tryhard, and Oakland specifically mentioned on Twitter not to do this for their school, so it probably could only hurt. It's probably more for explaining something not on your application.

I was getting ready to hit submit, I guess I'll take it off. Thanks fam

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted and complete - we don't have to write anything in for the "official use only" part on the last page right?

EDIT: The email I got for submitting says "Thank you for submitting your Secondary for the University of Michigan Medical School. Your file is complete and will be read repeatedly over the next several months as we compare applicant files. " soooo i'm guessing they have my LoR and whatnot?

Is it okay to write about something non-medicine-related for the passion essay? I want to write about running half marathons with my dad, but I'm not sure if that's what they're after.

I wrote about running.

s it okay to write about something non-medicine-related for the passion essay? I want to write about running half marathons with my dad, but I'm not sure if that's what they're after.

Is it okay to write about something non-medicine-related for the passion essay? I want to write about running half marathons with my dad, but I'm not sure if that's what they're after.

I wrote about mentoring

So it's not a good idea to tak about a specific part of their program that we're interested in? I have a decent amount of experience living/working abroad and I am very interested in their global health opportunities, but I didn't touch on any of that in the other essays. Is that not worth mentioning?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's not a good idea to tak about a specific part of their program that we're interested in? I have a decent amount of experience living/working abroad and I am very interested in their global health opportunities, but I didn't touch on any of that in the other essays. Is that not worth mentioning?
I think if it's specific and actually useful information for helping them understand you as an applicant, then it's good.

So did everyone leave the official use only box blank? It looks like the kind of place a signature might go.

Are you all putting anything for the "Is there any other information you would like to provide to us at this time? (optional)" Would it be appropriate to write a small "why Michigan?" essay or an adversity essay or something, or is it more for explaining something on your application if needed?

When there isn't a specific "why michigan" essay, it's usually a good idea to put it in a question like this

can someone post the full essay prompts, please??

can someone post the full essay prompts, please??
Here ya go:

1) Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

2)At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

3) Is there any other information you would like to provide to us at this time? (optional)

***Please note that #3 is not on the same page of the sec. application as the other two questions so its not an essay prompt necessarily.

Reactions: 2 users
Here ya go:

1) Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

2)At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

3) Is there any other information you would like to provide to us at this time? (optional)

***Please note that #3 is not on the same page of the sec. application as the other two questions so its not an essay prompt necessarily.

much appreciated!

Re-applicant this cycle! Everything is submitted and hoping for the best this year!! Seriously love Ann Arbor.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you all think talking about being an avid foodie as a passion would be weird?

Sweet! I was going to do weight-lifting but I like food way more
Yeah that sounds like an awesome topic. Whatever you can talk most passionately about (that isn't weird/concerning) is probably the best topic. For these kinds of essays I just ask myself "what would I enjoy reading about?". GL, science brah!

Yeah that sounds like an awesome topic. Whatever you can talk most passionately about (that isn't weird/concerning) is probably the best topic. For these kinds of essays I just ask myself "what would I enjoy reading about?". GL, science brah!
That is great advice! Good luck to you as well. With that LizzyM score, I doubt you'll need it. ;)

Submitted today! Looking back, my essays sound super lame. Whoops.

Did anyone have to pay the $85 fee? It did not prompt me to pay it nor can I find the place to pay it? Happened on the Meharry application as well through this same platform.

Did anyone have to pay the $85 fee? It did not prompt me to pay it nor can I find the place to pay it? Happened on the Meharry application as well through this same platform.

Yes, try disabling your pop up blocker because for me it went to a different page after I finished all the sections in order to pay the fee and submit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted. Only secondary I received before the weekend.

Can I assume that whoever is reading my essay responses also has my entire AMCAS too? Or do they only read the answer? It could save me a lot of characters if they have all my work/activities section next to them while they read my essay answers.

So I received a file complete e-mail yesterday but my status on the portal still says " PRIMARY APPLICATION RECEIVED -- We have received your primary application. Please complete your secondary using this portal. Your file will not be complete until your secondary and payment have been received." Anyone else have this as well? Should I contact them and make sure it is complete?

So I received a file complete e-mail yesterday but my status on the portal still says " PRIMARY APPLICATION RECEIVED -- We have received your primary application. Please complete your secondary using this portal. Your file will not be complete until your secondary and payment have been received." Anyone else have this as well? Should I contact them and make sure it is complete?
just wait a day. I was like that but now it says i'm complete.

Quick question regarding the second question - what would you all define as a diverse experience? I took it to mean an experience that is very different and gives a unique perspective.

Does anyone know what the character limit is for the "other information" dialog box?

**UPDATE looks like it's unlimited :)**

Last edited:
Quick question regarding the second question - what would you all define as a diverse experience? I took it to mean an experience that is very different and gives a unique perspective.
I don't think you have to put too much importance on the experience being unique so much as it's unique effect on your perspectives. Basically you're proving to them you can offer a fresh perspective in classroom/clinical setting, so your interpretation of your experiences is probably more important than actual experience.

Hi all!

I'm an incoming M1 at Michigan, happy to answer any questions you may have about the school and/or admissions process. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all!

I'm an M1 at Michigan, happy to answer any questions you may have about the school and/or admissions process. Good luck!

Hey, I'm wondering if you're part of the GHD Path program at U-M. I looked into it yesterday and it seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. It seems like a program that sends students and faculty abroad to help a developing country reform the way it does medicine. Am I way off base? If so, could you explain it to me? Thanks!

Hey, I'm wondering if you're part of the GHD Path program at U-M. I looked into it yesterday and it seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. It seems like a program that sends students and faculty abroad to help a developing country reform the way it does medicine. Am I way off base? If so, could you explain it to me? Thanks!
I'm not involved with that path, but from what I've heard you are not totally off-base. Most of the work is done in Michigan; however, there is a scholarship available for those that can execute a project abroad.

I don't think you have to put too much importance on the experience being unique so much as it's unique effect on your perspectives. Basically you're proving to them you can offer a fresh perspective in classroom/clinical setting, so your interpretation of your experiences is probably more important than actual experience.
Thanks! I appreciate the response.

Hi all!

I'm an M1 at Michigan, happy to answer any questions you may have about the school and/or admissions process. Good luck!
Hi! What do you feel makes U of M unique compared to other schools you interviewed at? What attracted you to the school?

"If you have any documents or information you wish to upload to your application, please do so by uploading a PDF below. You are welcome to upload anything at anytime, but please do not submit transcripts. If you wish to send a publication, only send the abstract. Whatever you upload will be viewed by your reviewers. Please do not mail updates to our office. Thank you."

Should I upload a professional headshot of myself?

You'll be asked to upload a picture when you are invited to interview

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! What do you feel makes U of M unique compared to other schools you interviewed at? What attracted you to the school?

You'll hear the phrase "The Michigan Difference" quite a bit - and it's honestly something you have to experience to truly understand. The interview day at Michigan was exponentially more impressive than any other that I attended (including other top 10/20's). They make you feel extremely welcome, even sending you letters and gifts a few times a month post-acceptance. True pass/fail curriculum and flex-time quizzes also add to the general happiness of the student body. And I mean football, come on!

edit: also real excited about the 1 year classroom / 3 year clinical curriculum model.

Reactions: 5 users
You'll hear the phrase "The Michigan Difference" quite a bit - and it's honestly something you have to experience to truly understand. The interview day at Michigan was exponentially more impressive than any other that I attended (including other top 10/20's). They make you feel extremely welcome, even sending you letters and gifts a few times a month post-acceptance. True pass/fail curriculum and flex-time quizzes also add to the general happiness of the student body. And I mean football, come on!

edit: also real excited about the 1 year classroom / 3 year clinical curriculum model.

Thank you so much!

sorry if this is a dumb question, but does UMich take secondaries on a rolling basis?

Last edited:
Does anyone know to what degree UMich shows in-state v. out-of-state preference? And, if substantial, is it worth it to mention family ties to the state?

Does anyone know to what degree UMich shows in-state v. out-of-state preference? And, if substantial, is it worth it to mention family ties to the state?
Our class is about 50/50 IS/OOS; as most state schools, it does show slight preference in state.

Last edited:
For the passion essay, would it be better to talk about my passion in research or my passion for my recreational activities?