2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on your acceptances guys
I got wait-listed, guess that means Michigan is over for me =/

Hey guys! I submitted an abstract to a national conference and it got accepted recently. Does this warrant an update? I know it's just an abstract, but I'm the first author on it so I'll be the one who presents the poster presentation at the annual national society meeting. It's also ranked #1 in its clinical specialty. Is this significant enough to warrant an update?
Another thing is, I already have 4 accepted abstracts from a different lab (none of which I'm first author for or presented for though) so I was wondering if this would come off as desperation. For most schools, I was planning on giving this update after the semester ended so I could update them about my grades. However, it seems like Michigan is slowing down its IIs so I feel like I should maybe send this update for Michigan now. Thoughts?
YES I definitely think you should send an update. It can only help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance. Words cannot express. They really go all out for the acceptance notice. They have such a good sense of humor
This is my number one right now, good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted yesterday :) (Interviewed mid Nov, LM mid 70s)

Reactions: 6 users
Question, is this a good sign that there is a slight chance still: FILE COMPLETE -- Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some 'on hold' time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time.

Or am I most likely to be rejected?

Reactions: 1 user
Question, is this a good sign that there is a slight chance still: FILE COMPLETE -- Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some 'on hold' time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time.

Or am I most likely to be rejected?
I've had that message since I submitted my secondary and am taking it as a sign that either my app is so low on the list for them that it hasn't even been reviewed or that I'm destined for an R because I haven't gotten an II. But - ??? Maybe we're in orbit still?

Reactions: 1 users
I've had that message since I submitted my secondary and am taking it as a sign that either my app is so low on the list for them that it hasn't even been reviewed or that I'm destined for an R because I haven't gotten an II. But - ??? Maybe we're in orbit still?

I've had that status since July 1 (in-state). They only have about 10 IIs left per their claim of interviewing 450 candidates :(

I've had that status since July 1 (in-state). They only have about 10 IIs left per their claim of interviewing 450 candidates :(
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten that big R yet. At least not officially. I guess some schools wait for spring and then do a mass slaughter?

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten that big R yet. At least not officially. I guess some schools wait for spring and then do a mass slaughter?
r

Yeah, once you get a complete email from Michigan it specifically says that they don't send any rejections during their interview season.

r

Yeah, once you get a complete email from Michigan it specifically says that they don't send any rejections during their interview season.
Mine didn't: "Thank you for submitting your Secondary for the University of Michigan Medical School. Your file is complete and will be read repeatedly over the next several months as we compare applicant files. You can always check on the status of your application through your Applicant Portal. This link is also on our main Admissions webpage. Go Blue!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine didn't: "Thank you for submitting your Secondary for the University of Michigan Medical School. Your file is complete and will be read repeatedly over the next several months as we compare applicant files. You can always check on the status of your application through your Applicant Portal. This link is also on our main Admissions webpage. Go Blue!"

Hmm, maybe I'm mixing it up with a different school. Sorry! It's been so long, I can't remember.

Reactions: 1 users
They have sent out rejections though so I am not too sure about that, I just want to know if it is in instate or out of state rejections

Anyone else just get the gift from umich!? So sweet! #literally

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else just get the gift from umich!? So sweet! #literally

Haha yup, I definitely ate the whole thing over the course of a day. Funny, it cost $7 for them to send me the $2 gift. I loved getting it though. Michigan is definitely being high touch. I really appreciate it, and all the info they have up online too (their website, youtube, etc)

Reactions: 3 users
Haha yup, I definitely ate the whole thing over the course of a day. Funny, it cost $7 for them to send me the $2 gift. I loved getting it though. Michigan is definitely being high touch. I really appreciate it, and all the info they have up online too (their website, youtube, etc)
Noooo it looks too good to eat! Haha! But yeah, definitely very thoughtful of them!

I'm going to be intentionally vague to preserve anonymity, but I recently received an II. Only date available was in early February. Complete in August, but recently submitted an update that I am sure really helped.

Reactions: 4 users
If we are OOS and haven't received an II, it's over right?

What gift? Is this for accepted students? I was accepted in Oct. and am away for Xmas so it sounds like some good food will be wasted in my mailbox?!!

Then you should be in the game still!
Optimistically, yes. Realistically, there's probably only a small handful of II left that they are planning on sending out and it's more likely everyone waiting at this point will get the R.

Accepted earlier this week! Interviewed earlier this month! Go Blueeee!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got the Axe. Complete 7/27. LM 67, OOS, ORM.

Just got the Axe. Complete 7/27. LM 67, OOS, ORM.
+1, with very similar stats. So many Christmas gifts for me this week! lol
Good luck to everyone already interviewing and congrats to those accepted!

Don't want to jinx it but also it seems hopeless at this point--I'm somehow still not rejected...? Seems like there are no IIs left. Maybe their email server is just slow.

Rejected. Complete early August. LM~70-71. Military and other strong ECs. IS, ORM. This stinks.

Is anyone else in complete silence? I submitted 9/15 and I haven’t heard anything since. I didn’t even know they sent out pre-II rejections... this is completely a reach school for me, so I’m not too sure this silence is a good thing.

I swear I heard Carol Teener say deferred decision applicants hear back around March...I don't have any notes to confirm that though. All I wrote down was "holding pool until others come to interview". Since the last interview date is Feb 2 and they take about 5 weeks to get back, I'd think late March or early April is when you'd hear back.

How do you know their last interview day is Feb 2nd? And if that is correct, will they be done sending out II now basically since it’s almost January?

Is anyone else in complete silence? I submitted 9/15 and I haven’t heard anything since. I didn’t even know they sent out pre-II rejections... this is completely a reach school for me, so I’m not too sure this silence is a good thing.
Complete since first week of July and silence - I'm thinking it's prettttty much over, there might be a few IIs left that will trickle in. I still remember this being the first secondary I received and submitted. Feels so long ago - I was so bright eyed and bushy tailed. To think it's only been 6 months!

How do you know their last interview day is Feb 2nd? And if that is correct, will they be done sending out II now basically since it’s almost January?
The list of interview dates for 2017-18 is available on their website as a PDF at this link: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschoo.../files/assets/md_2017-18_ interview_dates.pdf

That's how I know that February 2 is their last interview date. Admissions intentionally does an earlier interview cycle than most medical schools (concluding interviews earlier than most).

The list of interview dates for 2017-18 is available on their website as a PDF at this link: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/assets/md_2017-18_ interview_dates.pdf

That's how I know that February 2 is their last interview date. Admissions intentionally does an earlier interview cycle than most medical schools (concluding interviews earlier than most).

Thanks for the link! (And punch in the face hahaha). If it’s only 2 more days to interview, I’m pretty sure I’m not getting one haha. I’d rather know than wonder, though!

For those who submitted an update, was there any kind of confirmation that your update was received on the portal? I just submitted an update, and after uploading the file, the entry just disappeared.

For those who submitted an update, was there any kind of confirmation that your update was received on the portal? I just submitted an update, and after uploading the file, the entry just disappeared.

When you click "view checklist" your update should appear under additional uploads.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m debating whether or not it's time to un-watch this thread; I am super excited about my other offers, but can’t deny the fact that I’m still holding my breath for my alma mater… Good luck to everyone left waiting and congratulations to those who have been accepted!