2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone remind me of the next date admission decisions are being sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!!! This is honestly a dream come true and I can't contain my excitement. GO BLUE!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted via phone as well and I don't have any ties to the school. I thought this was very thoughtful, did everyone who got accepted received the news by call?

Does anyone know how they decide to award the Dean's scholarships? Also is it a full COA scholarship or full tuition?

I just received the official acceptance email, so happy and looking forward to second look weekend!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how they decide to award the Dean's scholarships? Also is it a full COA scholarship or full tuition?

It's full tuition scholarship program that includes four years of med school and a Michigan dual degree of your choice (e.g. MPH, MPP, MBA). It does not include a living stipend. It is officially awarded for "leadership potential," which roughly translates to the top applicants they are trying to recruit.

Reactions: 1 user
Deferred decision. Does anyone have any insight on if in-state deferred applicants have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred decision. Does anyone have any insight on if in-state deferred applicants have a chance?
Going to ask everyone that replies... interview date? I think they should start reviewing deferrals after they send out acceptances for the last interview day which should be end of feb

Going to ask everyone that replies... interview date? I think they should start reviewing deferrals after they send out acceptances for the last interview day which should be end of feb
I interviewed Jan 19.

Accepted today and so ecstatic!!! This is my dream school! Interviewed 2/2 and wasn't expecting to hear back for a while!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they send out clear rejections post-interview?

On the University of Michigan Website, it says there are three post-interview outcomes.
---------
POST-INTERVIEW OUTCOMES
WAITLISTED
When you have Waitlist status, you may be offered a spot in the class any time there is a vacancy up until the first day of orientation.

DEFERRED DECISION
When you have a Deferred Decision, it means that a decision on admission could be made anytime during the cycle until March 15.

ADMITTED
Congratulations! Once you are invited to join the next class of Michigan Med students, you will receive more information about connecting with fellow admits and current students as well as regular updates about next steps, including financial aid, Second Look Weekend and White coat ceremony.
------------

It's full tuition scholarship program that includes four years of med school and a Michigan dual degree of your choice (e.g. MPH, MPP, MBA). It does not include a living stipend. It is officially awarded for "leadership potential," which roughly translates to the top applicants they are trying to recruit.

They don't do scholarship/aid until March right?

On the University of Michigan Website, it says there are three post-interview outcomes.
---------
POST-INTERVIEW OUTCOMES
WAITLISTED
When you have Waitlist status, you may be offered a spot in the class any time there is a vacancy up until the first day of orientation.

DEFERRED DECISION
When you have a Deferred Decision, it means that a decision on admission could be made anytime during the cycle until March 15.

ADMITTED
Congratulations! Once you are invited to join the next class of Michigan Med students, you will receive more information about connecting with fellow admits and current students as well as regular updates about next steps, including financial aid, Second Look Weekend and White coat ceremony.
------------
Oh yeah, I just found that in the booklet from interview day. Hopefully they're still reviewing files from those that interviewed on 2/2

Has anyone that interviewed on 2/2 not heard anything yet?

Last edited:
If you use gmail, did you check your "promotions" inbox? Many of my emails from them go there. Hope you hear good news!
I've been using my undergrad email address for the application process... plus nothing has changed in my checklist to give any indication of a response.

Hey all,
So I'm going to be completely honest and say that while michigan is a great school, I'm a bit nervous about attending. I was too nervous for my interview while I was there that I don't feel like I really got a good grasp of the school and what it offers. Also I'm terrified of the cold and that I won't fit in very well. Had a nightmare last night that I would spend the next 4 years miserable, alone, and cold. I'm sure I'm overreacting but I just thought I'd dump my insecurities here and see if anyone else feels the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I've been using my undergrad email address for the application process... plus nothing has changed in my checklist to give any indication of a response.

I don't think it would hurt to call the office and inquire, if it might help with your anxiety. You could just say that you know some people from your interview day heard back, and you wanted to make sure you didn't miss any notifications. They are very nice, I'm sure they'll be understanding.

For your sake, I just checked my applicant portal. Nothing has changed on my portal, even though I did receive news on Monday.

Hey all,
So I'm going to be completely honest and say that while michigan is a great school, I'm a bit nervous about attending. I was too nervous for my interview while I was there that I don't feel like I really got a good grasp of the school and what it offers. Also I'm terrified of the cold and that I won't fit in very well. Had a nightmare last night that I would spend the next 4 years miserable, alone, and cold. I'm sure I'm overreacting but I just thought I'd dump my insecurities here and see if anyone else feels the same.

I think that is what second look is for, if you're able to attend.

Thanks for checking... I have a contact that said they'd get back to me tomorrow with details so I'll wait to call. Hopefully next Monday has more acceptances going out since "February 28th" was thrown around as the date we'd find out by. The anxiety is pretty bad though haha

I completely understand the anxiety, as I'm sure we all do. I hope you can find some peace in the meantime! For me, it helped to obsessively watch the Olympics :) Hope you get good news.

Hey all,

Last edited:
Hey all,

Hi friend! I'm a current M1 and had some anxieties of my own before choosing to attend. If perspectives from a current student would help, feel free to DM me. :)

Does anyone know any students that were deferred during interview season then later offered admission in March???

Does anyone know when deferred applicants are expected to hear back this month?

Does anyone know when deferred applicants are expected to hear back this month?
I read online that the latest deferred applicants will be notified is March 15. Time to squeeze those last minute updates in haha...

So have some deferred applicants already heard back do you think?

Has any one gotten a call from Michigan admissions lately, I keep missing their calls a bunch of time and am wondering if it's for a scholarship or something...

Has any one gotten a call from Michigan admissions lately, I keep missing their calls a bunch of time and am wondering if it's for a scholarship or something...

I did get a reminder call to register for Second Look, but they only called once and left a voicemail. Hopefully yours was a scholarship call!

Anyone know if they give application feedback for those rejected pre-II? Trying to figure out what's wrong with me.

Anyone know if they give application feedback for those rejected pre-II? Trying to figure out what's wrong with me.
I obviously don't know everywhere you applied, but another school in Michigan (MSU CHM) does provide feedback if you applied there and don't get any acceptances. Hope that helps :)

Deferred applicant reporting here: admissions tracker has been updated to say 'final.'

What does that mean?

I'm not sure exactly. To me, it may mean that no more admissions offers are going to be sent out (implied by 'final'). Also, I see that 334 admission offers have been offered out of 445 interviews (75% accepted post interview), I doubt they'll be offering much more just based off how high that percentage is.

I'm not sure exactly. To me, it may mean that no more admissions offers are going to be sent out (implied by 'final'). Also, I see that 334 admission offers have been offered out of 445 interviews (75% accepted post interview), I doubt they'll be offering much more just based off how high that percentage is.
^^ Is my read too. Wait list certainly still has a lot of movement coming though, so don't fret!

^^ Is my read too. Wait list certainly still has a lot of movement coming though, so don't fret!
Really? I thought the waitlist here hasn't had movement in years. Unless you mean movement in those already offered admission between now and next week (March 15 - when deferred applicants will hear back). I figured that since they probably aren't offering any more spots that all us deferred applicants would just end up on the waitlist (which is what I heard and read from previous threads is what happens to vast majority of deferred applicants), and that if/when we are waitlisted that it is over at that point (because umich says their waitlist generally has no movement, lol.) Not trying to be a debbie downer but this has been my train of thought/rationale!

Really? I thought the waitlist here hasn't had movement in years. Unless you mean movement in those already offered admission between now and next week (March 15 - when deferred applicants will hear back). I figured that since they probably aren't offering any more spots that all us deferred applicants would just end up on the waitlist (which is what I heard and read from previous threads is what happens to vast majority of deferred applicants), and that if/when we are waitlisted that it is over at that point (because umich says their waitlist generally has no movement, lol.) Not trying to be a debbie downer but this has been my train of thought/rationale!
Sorry, I'm not sure how to differentiate between deferred and waitlist, and likely used Michigan's terminology incorrectly. My only point is that there are likely lots of students who hold acceptances here who will continue to hold onto those for a while, but will ultimately end up at other schools, freeing up the spot for someone else.