2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all! I know merit scholarships have been distributed but as anyone received their full financial aid package? I haven't received an email about it, but I know I turned everything in. I just want to see the full picture for making a decision! Thanks.

There was an email that went out a week ago telling us to respond to the email if we wanted a financial aid estimate in the next 7-10. I responded to the email immediately, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm anticipating hearing by the end of this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There was an email that went out a week ago telling us to respond to the email if we wanted a financial aid estimate in the next 7-10. I responded to the email immediately, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm anticipating hearing by the end of this week.

Did you get any kind of confirmation response from that email, or just no response?

Members don't see this ad :)
how do we withdraw? just got middle-tier waitlisted and don't see a way to do it on the secondary portal

Trying to withdraw from the WL? Nice try. They're tryna drag you out on the WL until July where they'll slap you with the final rejection letter

Just received my theoretical financial aid package about an hour ago!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received my theoretical financial aid package about an hour ago!
Did it include need-based grants/ scholarships or just loans? Did you request the estimate right when you got the email? Can you tell me what the projected 4 year COA is before aid? Sorry about all the questions lol

Did it include need-based grants/ scholarships or just loans? Did you request the estimate right when you got the email? Can you tell me what the projected 4 year COA is before aid? Sorry about all the questions lol

Not OP but got mine as well a couple hours ago. I requested it probably within 5 min of the email being sent. The estimate separates into need-based grants, merit scholarships, Stafford loan, and unmet need.

Current COA is $82,735/year which contains tuition/fees, projected room and board, transportation, books/instruments, and miscellaneous.

Not OP but got mine as well a couple hours ago. I requested it probably within 5 min of the email being sent. The estimate separates into need-based grants, merit scholarships, Stafford loan, and unmet need.

Current COA is $82,735/year which contains tuition/fees, projected room and board, transportation, books/instruments, and miscellaneous.
Perfect thank you!

If anyone is attending both Michigan and Northwestern second looks and wants to road trip together Friday evening, I’m planning to rent a car and drive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Match List Search

Looking at their match list and their website, almost 2/3 of students have central matches. I'm interested in matching in the east coast, particularly northeast, do you guys feel that UMich does not have a strong reputation in this region or that most students prefer to stay in the central region, thus the results?

Match List Search

Looking at their match list and their website, almost 2/3 of students have central matches. I'm interested in matching in the east coast, particularly northeast, do you guys feel that UMich does not have a strong reputation in this region or that most students prefer to stay in the central region, thus the results?

Something else to keep in mind is that around half of the students are from IS so that may contribute to the number of people staying in the midwest/MI. You could ask the M4s at SLW for a better sense though.

Match List Search

I'm only just an admitted student, but I'm similar to you in that I am strongly interested in returning back home to the East Coast for residency. Answers I have gotten in response to this concern are that it's a self-selection situation, where many students end up staying in the Mid-West because a lot of the students at Michigan Med are from there. If you look at the matches in the East Coast and West Coast in the list, they're top programs in all specialties, including the extremely competitive ones. The list has Mass General, Columbia, Penn, etc. for the East Coast and Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, etc. for the West Coast. Michigan graduates are among the most desirable residency applicants, so I think that match list is a reflection of where the students WANT to go, rather than where they are limited to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Match List Search

This has been a concern for me too. I have been assured by multiple students and alumni that it’s not a big deal especially for my interests (IM, EM). For a more competitive specialty I assume the challenges are the same as from any school. My friends who have been involved in resident selection also say that within the top 20 they don’t care which school you went to.

Something else to keep in mind is that around half of the students are from IS so that may contribute to the number of people staying in the midwest/MI. You could ask the M4s at SLW for a better sense though.

I'm only just an admitted student, but I'm similar to you in that I am strongly interested in returning back home to the East Coast for residency. Answers I have gotten in response to this concern are that it's a self-selection situation, where many students end up staying in the Mid-West because a lot of the students at Michigan Med are from there. If you look at the matches in the East Coast and West Coast in the list, they're top programs in all specialties, including the extremely competitive ones. The list has Mass General, Columbia, Penn, etc. for the East Coast and Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, etc. for the West Coast. Michigan graduates are among the most desirable residency applicants, so I think that match list is a reflection of where the students WANT to go, rather than where they are limited to.

This has been a concern for me too. I have been assured by multiple students and alumni that it’s not a big deal especially for my interests (IM, EM). For a more competitive specialty I assume the challenges are the same as from any school. My friends who have been involved in resident selection also say that within the top 20 they don’t care which school you went to.

Thanks for responding, I'm an admitted student as well and UMich is my top choice so I will def be asking any 4th years during second look weekend. For now I'm mostly interested in IM, and I would like to eventually practice in a much more diverse area than Ann Arbor, hence why this is important to me. I'll see you guys in second look!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when students who accept their admission receive a uniqname and password?

Pains me to do this, but withdrew my acceptance and am no longer attending SL. I know it’s gonna be lit, but I would just be teasing myself if I went. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

Pains me to do this, but withdrew my acceptance and am no longer attending SL. I know it’s gonna be lit, but I would just be teasing myself if I went. Hope my spot goes to one of you!
Why would it be teasing you?

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know where we are even meeting for second look? Especially for those going to DHE day?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know where we are even meeting for second look? Especially for those going to DHE day?

I believe we go to the admissions office, per the FAQs. Edit: Under "How do I get to and park at the Health System?"

"Here is a detailed map(link is external) of the University of Michigan Health System campus. Click on any location to generate detailed directions. The Admissions Office is #14, Medical Science I — D wing.

You will need to park in Parking 2 structure (P2) when you arrive. Use our Interview Day mobile walking map, or print and bring this map to guide you to the Admissions Office (it's about a 10-15 minute walk through the complex). After 5 p.m., and all day Saturday, you'll be able to park in the parking structure or open lot at the corner of Zina Pitcher and Ann(link is external)."

Hi y'all! I'm new to SDN and was mid-tier waitlisted at Michigan. I am OS and my Lizzy M score is 70. I haven't received an acceptance anywhere yet so I'm pretty nervous. I had a lot of serious family stuff going on earlier so my apps were in later

Hi y'all! I'm new to SDN and was mid-tier waitlisted at Michigan. I am OS and my Lizzy M score is 70. I haven't received an acceptance anywhere yet so I'm pretty nervous. I had a lot of serious family stuff going on earlier so my apps were in later
Welcome, friend. Unfortunately, Michigan has historically not offered any acceptances from their waitlist (according to MSAR). I hope something pans out for you!

Committed. Oh man, it's starting to hit me that I'm going to be spending the next 4 years here...

Reactions: 2 users
I will not be able to live close to the medical center. Does anyone know the absolute closest place that I can park to the medical school (Taubman)? I want to minimize my walk through the snow in the winter months.

I will not be able to live close to the medical center. Does anyone know the absolute closest place that I can park to the medical school (Taubman)? I want to minimize my walk through the snow in the winter months.

I clearly know nothing about parking here lol

From what I've read, you can pay for an orange pass to park near campus. Alternatively, there's a free commuter parking lot from where you can take a bus in (I think a bus pass is ~$60/mo?).

Last edited:
From what I've read, you can pay for an orange pass to park near campus. Alternatively, there's a free commuter parking lot from where you can take a bus in (I think a bus pass is ~$60/mo?).

The blue buses are free for everyone on campus. The white AATA buses are not, but with an MCard, which every med student has, it is free. So you wouldn't have to pay the $60/month!

Reactions: 1 users
Orange parking is not near campus. Student orange, which is what you will be able to buy, excludes all lots on the med campus. You can park on north campus or south campus but you will have to take a bus to the med campus. The buses are decent though and pick up in the lots. There are also free commuter lots further out. Some people who live on med campus sell spots too (can be $100/mo). Also you will not need a bus pass, your ID card gives you a bus pass for all city buses.

The blue buses are free for everyone on campus. The white AATA buses are not, but with an MCard, which every med student has, it is free. So you wouldn't have to pay the $60/month!

Orange parking is not near campus. Student orange, which is what you will be able to buy, excludes all lots on the med campus. You can park on north campus or south campus but you will have to take a bus to the med campus. The buses are decent though and pick up in the lots. There are also free commuter lots further out. Some people who live on med campus sell spots too (can be $100/mo). Also you will not need a bus pass, your ID card gives you a bus pass for all city buses.

My bad. Thanks for the clarifications!

Has anyone been able to get their michigan med email account set up yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been able to get their michigan med email account set up yet?

Ok, I'm having problems with this, because every time I try to log in it says I don't have access to it yet. Also, we need a level 2 password to access the mich med email specifically, but apparently we can only get that during orientation? I'm not sure how this works.

Ok, I'm having problems with this, because every time I try to log in it says I don't have access to it yet. Also, we need a level 2 password to access the mich med email specifically, but apparently we can only get that during orientation? I'm not sure how this works.
I had the same problem logging in so I made an IT ticket to make sure that I hadn't screwed up the uniquename creation. Here is what I got back:

"Because you are a student in the Medical School, where HIPAA concerns come into play, you do not have a UM Google account (our Google service is not HIPAA-compliant). Your account will eventually reside on the Michigan Medicine mail service, but I believe it may not actually become active until you arrive on campus. In the interim, you can forward your umich.edu address to your personal account using the instructions at [link]."

I just set up my umich.edu address to forward to my gmail using the link that they sent. That way, even if it takes a while to get set up on the med server, I can be sure that I don't miss an email. I don't meet the requirements to post the link yet, but you can Google "UMich email forwarding" and click the first link for instructions on how to set up forwarding.

Reactions: 3 users
I had the same problem logging in so I made an IT ticket to make sure that I hadn't screwed up the uniquename creation. Here is what I got back:

"Because you are a student in the Medical School, where HIPAA concerns come into play, you do not have a UM Google account (our Google service is not HIPAA-compliant). Your account will eventually reside on the Michigan Medicine mail service, but I believe it may not actually become active until you arrive on campus. In the interim, you can forward your umich.edu address to your personal account using the instructions at [link]."

I just set up my umich.edu address to forward to my gmail using the link that they sent. That way, even if it takes a while to get set up on the med server, I can be sure that I don't miss an email. I don't meet the requirements to post the link yet, but you can Google "UMich email forwarding" and click the first link for instructions on how to set up forwarding.
Hi there, where are you guys getting this info on setting up email?
I don't see any info about setting up an email account...Please help me avoid missing important emails :hello:

I just got the email to set up my Michigan med email. Now if only I can get it to work on my phone...

Hey guys. Congratulations to everyone :)

I ended up not living right next to school, and I too was worried about parking but realized you can just park at a nearby park (everyone does this). Here's the link: Google Maps It's a 5 minute walk to class and you get to see your classmates on the way.

Hope this helps.
You can only park there for like 4 hours at a time though, when I was parking there when I worked on med campus I was ticketed so many times </3