2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the passion essay, would it be better to talk about my passion in research or my passion for my recreational activities?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 74875458.jpg
    74875458.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: 1 user
What kinds of things would be good in the "optional" essay? Did you guys write something there?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kinds of things would be good in the "optional" essay? Did you guys write something there?
If you have ties to the University / state, that would be a great place to expand. You can also view it as a "Why our school?" prompt and address that.

For the passion essay, would it be better to talk about my passion in research or my passion for my recreational activities?
I viewed this passage as a way to show that I have a life outside of academia. I think it was one of my stronger responses because of that.

Reactions: 1 users
How are people referring to the university in their secondaries? Michigan? UMich?

Secondary received. About to submit! Good luck everyone!

In the optional section, can we update the school with what we have been doing this summer?

Last edited:
How are people referring to the university in their secondaries? Michigan? UMich?

I have the same question. Is it acceptable to say "UMMS" from its first use without actually stating what the acronym stands for?
Every character is so precious, and for secondaries, the readers will know it's referring to their schools.. right?

Last edited:
In state applicant, Michigan student. Dream school of all dream schools, submitted July 1st. Hoping for a miracle.

If what you've been doing is worthy of an update, absolutely.

If I'm starting a new part-time job in August, can I include that in my application? Or should i only mention things i am currently doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm starting a new part-time job in August, can I include that in my application? Or should i only mention things i am currently doing?
Technically you can only list things that you've actually started on AMCAS. You can then include your projected hours until matriculation in your estimation. I think that if you've already been hired, you're safe to include it on your application.

Any thoughts on when the first IIs will start going out?

Any thoughts on when the first IIs will start going out?

Looking at last years thread, the first SDN-reported II was 18 days after the secondaries were released. So, we are looking at ~ July 18th this year :)

Reactions: 2 users

Incoming M1 here!

I wrote a short blurb about my ties to Michigan and Ann Arbor, and my excitement about the idea of attending UMich. It was the first app I submitted, and I felt a little silly after I'd gotten more into the application process because it was more a P.S. than an essay. In hindsight, though, it was genuine, unscripted, and not edited to death, and knowing what I know now about Michigan, I think it did more good than harm.

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring: I'm willing to answer questions, too :)

I have the same question. Is it acceptable to say "UMMS" from its first use without actually stating what the acronym stands for?
Every character is so precious, and for secondaries, the readers will know it's referring to their schools.. right?

Here's a link to the UMich style guide.

Style Guide: Abbreviations and Acronyms | Global Marketing & Communications

Of course, this is for the university as a whole, but I used it as a jumping off point and referred to the school as U-M throughout. Characters are precious, and the fact that I was writing an essay for the med school seemed reason enough to me not to write out the full name. They know who they are. Just be consistent.

II! Omg, my heart is pounding -- I was absolutely not expecting them to come out this early. The dates I saw were September 8 and 15.

I'm so excited because I've already fallen in love with Michigan! :biglove:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah from their Twitter account, it looks like 16 IIs were sent out today! How exciting!!

@enchantediris, stats??

Thoughts about attaching an article written about an award you won under the documents section? I don't want to be braggy/annoying on my application

II! Omg, my heart is pounding -- I was absolutely not expecting them to come out this early. The dates I saw were September 8 and 15.

I'm so excited because I've already fallen in love with Michigan! :biglove:
:eek::eek::eek::eek:Wow that's super early!!!! You should feel really special!Congrats!!!

Yeah from their Twitter account, it looks like 16 IIs were sent out today! How exciting!!

@enchantediris, stats??
Actually - where did you go to undergrad (HYP or other ivy?) and stats? Well done! That's nutso. You are killing it

Thanks a lot guys! :) My LizzyM is ~80, and my undergrad is nothing special. You probably haven't heard of it before, so definitely not HYP. Anyway, Michigan is pretty well known for sending out II every Monday, so hopefully y'all hear back soon! :luck:

Thanks a lot guys! :) My LizzyM is ~80, and my undergrad is nothing special. You probably haven't heard of it before, so definitely not HYP. Anyway, Michigan is pretty well known for sending out II every Monday, so hopefully y'all hear back soon! :luck:
Can I ask what you wrote about for the passion essay? I'm worried mine was too generic now...

16 II every Monday? They know how to tease, oh man.

Every morning when I open Gmail I get a small rush. It's exciting but mostly disappointing haha
I refresh my email as soon as I wake up, half-asleep still. I vaguely register a school name and then when it sinks in a minute later, I bolt up to actually read it. Have started many days with a headache as a result :laugh:

16 II every Monday? They know how to tease, oh man.

Sometimes its more than 16 II's that are sent out. When it gets closer to the end of interview season, the number of interview invites dwindle. Keep in mind that it's VERY early in the cycle. Last two cycles ~530 applicants were interviewed.

Last edited:
Incoming non-trad M1; willing to answer any questions as well!

M2, amazing school!!
California born/raised. Was very challenging to give up UCLA, but I feel so lucky to be a part of UMICH. Friendly and courteous staff, encouraging faculties, sky is the limit for opportunities to explore, and great infrastructure.

Just be patient with M1 year.
Good luck and great choice :idea:
Go Blue!:thumbup:

Incoming non-trad M1; willing to answer any questions as well!

Thanks, @SDSwan Do you mind sharing your application cycle experience? Like, when you submitted, when you got an II? What your interview was like, and why you chose UM? Do you mind sharing your stats?

What do you perceive to be the aspects about applicants that make them stand out to the UM ad.com?

Where do you see that information? Thanks
This was an issue the secondary portal had for the first 24hrs or so. We couldn't log in to fill out the seconday. Of course, it has been resolved since then!

Hmm status change to just "STATUS MESSAGE" instead of FILE COMPLETE. Has my UM judgement day finally arrived? ....... o_o

Thanks, @SDSwan Do you mind sharing your application cycle experience? Like, when you submitted, when you got an II? What your interview was like, and why you chose UM? Do you mind sharing your stats?

What do you perceive to be the aspects about applicants that make them stand out to the UM ad.com?

I applied special program through a postbac program, so I only applied to one school. I can go into more detail on the experience since it was so condensed, but in a PM.

LizzyM of 70, OOS, Caucasian/ Pacific Islander, non-trad due to family hardships and such through uni.

Interview day was great! They make it super low stress, MMIs were fun, and the 1-1 interviews were more like conversations to learn more about you as a person. I chose UM because of the new curriculum and the focus on being a clinician and seeing patients, which is what I want to do. Everyone at interview day was nice and you could tell they were actually interested.

One thing Dr. Gay always said was be passionate, and I think that's what they look for in applicants, to have a genuine passion either related or unrelated to medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
Potential good info I received from my boss who sits on admissions (I work at UM hospital system, current undergrad). Michigan is moving towards interviewing OOS candidates first (rumored due to the horrendous weather here in the winter time). MI residents should expect word later on in the cycle, but as with everything in med school admissions this is not a strict rule just something I heard from someone on the admissions committee.

Reactions: 9 users
And going off of last year's thread, we in-state applicants have a good 3+ months before we even start seeing IIs...