2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*refreshes email every 5 minutes*

Members don't see this ad.

They just tweeted. They're skipping medmonday this week

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even dedicated Admissions team members need a #summervacation. Look for #umichmedmonday interview invites NEXT week!

GODDDAMMITT

Edit: adcoms I cursed in jest, you guys deserve a break, pls dont reject me

Reactions: 9 users
They couldn't take the summer vacation in June while we sit around and wait to be verified? lol

Reactions: 2 users
Should I be concerned if I haven't gotten a secondary from this school yet? I received an email about them doing a survey to maintain the website but never received the secondary.

Should I be concerned if I haven't gotten a secondary from this school yet? I received an email about them doing a survey to maintain the website but never received the secondary.
I'm sure it depends on when your primary was in. UMich was the first secondary I got and I have very low-for-UMich stats and am OOS. If you're sure you haven't missed it and it's been awhile, it doesn't hurt to call and ask. My primary was transmitted to schools in late June, so I was very early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd second emailing them. I got my secondary link less than a day after an email inquiry (apparently it got lost en route to my inbox) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt I'm getting an invite with my stats but here's to hoping anyway :D

I regret not listing my family who went here.... my parents didn't but like, 5 other ppl in my fam did and i totally left it out instead of listing it in the "anything else you'd like to add" section. o well

As far as the what are you passionate about prompt, would writing about family/love of family be a bad idea?

As far as the what are you passionate about prompt, would writing about family/love of family be a bad idea?
I think that would work! I don't think you can really go wrong with the passion essay; it seems to just be a way to help them get to know you better

adding this school a little late! hoping it doesn't destroy any chances :p

Would not having research experience completely ruin my chances? I have a LizzyM of ~74 with decent EC's and am IS. I'm just not interested in research so I figured I would spend my time getting clinical exposure. I figured this wouldn't hurt me too much but after looking at MSAR and seeing that 94% of the class has research experience I'm starting to have major regrets of not just forcing myself to find a research position..

Would not having research experience completely ruin my chances? I have a LizzyM of ~74 with decent EC's and am IS. I'm just not interested in research so I figured I would spend my time getting clinical exposure. I figured this wouldn't hurt me too much but after looking at MSAR and seeing that 94% of the class has research experience I'm starting to have major regrets of not just forcing myself to find a research position..
You're pretty much destined for research given your username though.

I think if they like you, then you should be fine with or without research. However, if I were you (and if you can) I would try to spend the remainder of the summer/start of Fall doing research of some kind... just to try it! You may love it :) i never thought id love research until I actually tried it, so you never know! Then you can update your application if you wish... but having research experience, even if it is for a very short time, does look good for medical school. And if they happen to ask about research during interviews, you can give solid reasons for loving/hating it. I don't think your chances are destroyed without it though!

n=1 but I have absolutely 0 research to my name and I got an II

Is the character limit with or without spaces? It doesn't say.

Does U much give people the axe early or do they wait till like march? I've been complete since 6/30 and I know I'm outclassed for this school i wish they would just stomp down.

DF7Pu2KW0AMVOyb.jpg:large

I thought this was an interesting picture from twitter, showing the stats for UMichigan's matriculating class this year. @gonnif, notice how they are giving the specifics for research this time, 19%/49% first author/co-author. Maybe its getting more important? And yes I realize this is a research heavy school, but it is also a public school.

Edit: LOL "amazing upon arrival" sheesh

I thought this was an interesting picture from twitter, showing the stats for UMichigan's matriculating class this year. @gonnif, notice how they are giving the specifics for research this time, 19%/49% first author/co-author. Maybe its getting more important? And yes I realize this is a research heavy school, but it is also a public school.

100% leadership positions...WTF

Guess I won't be getting an II today or probably ever.

I replied with sad emojis but they didn't show up oops

Reactions: 1 users

So 1 in 5 M1s have published as 1st author. Wow.

I feel that graphic may be wrong... They regularly have 50-53% in-state so I'm not sure why it would randomly drop to below 40%. And how would only 47% have any health-related experience? Also, according to the graphic, they have 0 students who took exactly one gap year...

edit: looks like the 40% in-state is correct according to their class profile page

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Jeez... This makes me seriously question how I got an interview here... So impressive!

You guys, we are still in July, and July is NOT the time to begin to lose hope about ANY med school! Look at it like this: nearly all of those categories have <100%, so they do still accept people who may not have published, etc. Michigan likes passionate people, and this can be demonstrated in many ways... people who are passionate about research (and had the opportunity) probably published, those who were passionate about a cause probably joined an organization and took on a leadership position, etc. Leadership can be demonstrated in so many ways, even if you may not have explicitly used that word on your application. Main point: don't lose hope!! If they like you and you are meant to go here, nothing will stop that

Reactions: 5 users
Wow this is crazy, 50% published? Aren't those Stanford levels? Although I guess this is published at the time of matriculation, whereas I think the 50% number I saw in last year's thread for Stanford was at the time of acceptance.

And the 1 gap year crew not being represented seems odd to me, I think they might be defining non-traditional the way Penn does where it's ≥1 gap year (and so a small typo in this graphic). That's the only way it makes sense to me for ~60% of the incoming class to be non-trads.

When were you complete?

EDIT: Wrong thread, lol. Nevermind

Not sure exactly, but it was the first secondary I submitted so it was the first week of July. I was super impressed by their turn around... still need to finish the tertiary though. Trying to finish my last few secondaries first.

Not sure exactly, but it was the first secondary I submitted so it was the first week of July. I was super impressed by their turn around... still need to finish the tertiary though. Trying to finish my last few secondaries first.
Umm what is a tertiary

Reactions: 2 users
Umm what is a tertiary
Pre-interview questions. There are only a couple. They ask about my team and leadership experiences and have a couple short answers. They requested that I have it in prior to 4 weeks before the interview, so it hasn't been at the top of my priority list yet.

Pre-interview questions. There are only a couple. They ask about my team and leadership experiences and have a couple short answers. They requested that I have it in prior to 4 weeks before the interview, so it hasn't been at the top of my priority list yet.

LOOOL Just when we think secondaries are enough... is there a quaternary post interview essay?

Reactions: 11 users