2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-interview questions. There are only a couple. They ask about my team and leadership experiences and have a couple short answers. They requested that I have it in prior to 4 weeks before the interview, so it hasn't been at the top of my priority list yet.
Ok, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure exactly, but it was the first secondary I submitted so it was the first week of July. I was super impressed by their turn around... still need to finish the tertiary though. Trying to finish my last few secondaries first.
What's involved in the tertiary? I've never heard of that before.
Edit: Nvm saw the explanation

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not impressed

I would first examine what they mean by published and by first author. If they are using AMCAS ECs to aggregate or examine the numbers, any publication, poster, and perhaps conference presentations at any level would be included such as

*Internal departmental student symposium *campus-wide student symposium
*multi or regional campus symposium
*student associations at any level from campus to national conference
*publication in the proliferation of small, online and non-reviewed journals
*annual school publication of senior thesis and or student research.

I would speculate, much of what first authorship and/or publications noted at UMICH isnt what you think it is.

I absolutely agree, and I hope publishing first author in a national clinical journal will help me stand out, otherwise I'll call UMich... ":writer: Hello?"

Reactions: 1 user
The flyer from UMICH and what data is reported to AMCAS seems to differ greatly, especially in applications received
UMICH reports 6,943 received applications
AMCAS reports 6,111 received applications
That's 832 or a 12% difference
So why is the official reporting to AMCAS which tracks each applicant and then matriculant thru medical school and residency

Good eye, @gonnif. I have always wondered how accurate MSAR is. Some of the stats seem to be a bit off, often inflated, in MSAR, based on what I read around here and other corners of the internet.

Did anyone else unselect "application type" when the secondary was exporting the data from amcas. It was orginally set to 1, but I unselected it because I didn't know what it meant. Now I can't submit the application because I can't fill out anything for that question. I emailed them, they seem to not know what I am talking about.

Did anyone else unselect "application type" when the secondary was exporting the data from amcas. It was orginally set to 1, but I unselected it because I didn't know what it meant. Now I can't submit the application because I can't fill out anything for that question. I emailed them, they seem to not know what I am talking about.
Sorry, can't help you :(. Didn't even notice that when I was submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
The flyer from UMICH and what data is reported to AMCAS seems to differ greatly, especially in applications received
So why is the official reporting to AMCAS which tracks each applicant and then matriculant thru medical school and residency

View attachment 221974
View attachment 221966View attachment 221967
View attachment 221971 ............. View attachment 221972

MI applicants 1112
MI matriculants 89
instate rate 8%

OOS applicants 4999
OOS matriculants 83
OOS rate 1.67%

The numbers on MSAR are last years numbers (entering class of 2016). The numbers on the website are for current matriculants (entering class of 2017).

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 221974
View attachment 221966View attachment 221967
View attachment 221971 ............. View attachment 221972

MI applicants 1112
MI matriculants 89
instate rate 8%

OOS applicants 4999
OOS matriculants 83
OOS rate 1.67%

Is it possible Michigan is including other types of applicants in their poster like PhD or other programs within the medical school that wouldn't be through AMCAS?

Can we discuss the real issue at hand here....where are the II's on this fine Monday :O

Reactions: 18 users
Surprised there has been no sign of II today!
Update: phone wasn't showing posts above, congrats!

Only one SDN-reported II so far? Maybe there's more coming.

For those that are neurotic as me... here are the number of interviews they offered each #umichmedmonday last cycle. Some days their twitter did not post how many interviews were given out so those were not included - in total missing about 80 interview invites in this list.

Two interview invites from UMich were recorded in the tracker today, around 4-5PM EST. I think invites were sent and they prob just forgot to tweet.
Average MCAT for II is 521.67 (n=6) so they might be going down the list by MCAT score.

Congrats @goatsandnutella !

100% leadership positions...WTF

Guess I won't be getting an II today or probably ever.
Chill, boss! I'm sure it's more coincidental than anything. No telling what that stat will be like for the 2018 entering class.

Two interview invites from UMich were recorded in the tracker today, around 4-5PM EST. I think invites were sent and they prob just forgot to tweet.
Average MCAT for II is 521.67 (n=6) so they might be going down the list by MCAT score.

Congrats @goatsandnutella !
Thanks for the update! Where do you get this info from? I cannot seem to find it even on the tracker

Thanks for the update! Where do you get this info from? I cannot seem to find it even on the tracker

Peep the links in my sig. I haven't been actively plugging it recently, but feel free to share

There were 48 IIs distributed today

Hoping I haven't been reviewed yet instead of being passed over.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II today, OOS. Anyone know if Mich offers student hosts?

Last edited:
People who have received II already, did you have all your letters in?

Got an II today, OOS. Anyone know if Mich offers student hosts?

Yes Michigan does offer student hosts. You'll receive more information a few weeks prior to your interview (at least that's what happened for me).

I GOT A II! MY FIRST ONE! Received the email at 1:35pm today.

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary submitted! Given all the II's that have been sent I hope I'm not too late.

Any of you beautiful IS applicants receive an II?