2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Umich Interviews 2017 vs 2018.PNG
    Umich Interviews 2017 vs 2018.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
For those of you keeping track at home.... here is how the current number of interviews compares to last cycle.

As I mentioned in previous posts, three dates last year they did not post a umichmedmonday so those interviews are not accounted for.
This is amazing, thank you :)

I wonder why they're giving out fewer invites this time around

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the UMich crowd! Just submitted my secondary.

Rejection for MSTP earlier today... but they were so nice about it! Lol

I wonder what they're waiting for--they still have like 300 OOS IIs to hand out and are almost 100 IIs behind this time last year!

Might give some people hope for things to happen! Going to be a long application season.

I'm still confused as to where I'm supposed to be looking to see updates in the portal.
It just looks like a confirmation page to me. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Found the "View Details" button. Crisis averted.

On the morning of the interview is there an area to store luggage?

OMG I GOT AN INVITE!!!! Complete 8/2. OOS. ORM. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I GOT AN INVITE!!!! Complete 8/2. OOS. ORM. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Awesome! Congrats!! I'm on the app so can't see your stats if they are in your signature, do ya mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who has interviewed at Michigan.

I am debating whether or not to schedule another Midwestern school interview the day before my Michigan interview. If I did this, I wouldn't be able to get to Ann Arbor until 9:30ish the night before the interview, at the earliest. Michigan has several "optional" events the Thursday night before the interview, but how "optional" are they really? Does it look like I'm not seriously interested in the school if I can't make those events? Michigan even calls its interview day "24 hours in blue," but what if I spend less time than that there? Michigan is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot here. Any advice would be appreciated!

If Michigan is your top then you should be attending every single event they have or invite you to. You should schedule the other school's interview away from Michigan IMO. Michigan should be your priority. You won't be judged negatively from not attending the optional events because schools understand that people are busy but I think the more interest you express, the better. Plus if anything goes wrong day before then you just messed up your Mich interview. Take no chances

Optional events are just that, optional. Should play no role in your admission decision. They understand that people have lives and pre-existing schedules. You need to think about this broader. Schools are trying just as hard to sell themselves and recruit the best students they can, so they want to expose you to as much good as they can, including mixers with current students.

I just have to keep telling myself I'm IS and it'll be awhile before I can expect to hear anything.

Reactions: 2 users
damn they're still very behind considering last year's timeline.

Maybe they're not behind...

Maybe the applicant pool isn't as strong...dun dun dun

For those of you keeping track at home.... here is how the current number of interviews compares to last cycle.

As I mentioned in previous posts, three dates last year they did not post a umichmedmonday so those interviews are not accounted for.

I'm not sure if this could be explained by the three not disclosed dates from last cycle, but according to US News, UMich interviewed 529 students last cycle, 68 more than in the excel doc.

Yes, definitely true about last cycle, but this cycle there is a discrepancy between the online admissions tracker (M.D. Admissions) and the total number reported in the tweets - and no days have been unaccounted for this cycle.

Pretty minor detail in the grand scheme of things. Could be II's they gave out on non-Mondays they didn't tweet about - MSTP/MD/PhD type things. I wouldn't hold anyone's feet to the fire over this

https://medicine.umich.edu/medschoo...ker/UMHS11012_5YearAdmissInfographic-AVGs.pdf

M.D. Admissions

Interesting infographic on interviews and current amount of interviews sent out for anyone curious.

So, am I reading this right? On average, 100% of the people they interview from a number of those schools receive admissions offers? 28 people interviewed from Harvard, 28 people receive admissions offers? 15 people from Yale interviewed, 15 people receive offers? Etc?

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.25.08 PM.png

Last edited:
So, am I reading this right? On average, 100% of the people they interview from a number of those schools receive admissions offers? 28 people interviewed from Harvard, 28 people receive admissions offers? 15 people from Yale interviewed, 15 people receive offers? Etc?
it's a 5 year average. It doesn't mean that for the specific year that they interview 28 people they accepted 28 from harvard. Maybe 25, maybe all 28, etc.

Also, uom has a 70%ish post II acceptance anyway so its not that farfetched.

it's a 5 year average. It doesn't mean that for the specific year that they interview 28 people they accepted 28 from harvard. Maybe 25, maybe all 28, etc.

Over 5 years though, that would mean 140 interviewed and 140 accepted. It seems odd that the whole chart is the same. It seems highly unlikely that they have accepted every interviewee from all 15-20 of those schools over the last 5 years.

I'm trying to see how it could be the case, outside of rounding, how it could be the case that that the interview to offer ratio could be less than 100%, even across the variance from year to year.

Stanford, for example, has a 5 year average of 16 interviewed and 16 offered a spot:

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.37.37 PM.png

How could you have fewer than 100% for any given year and still have an interview average of 16 and an offer average of 16?

Last edited:
Am I understanding correctly that UM extends OOS invites first? When does that trickle down? Just trying to decide when I should start panicking :D

View attachment 223076
Didn't realize they had such a preference for top undergrads. If I knew this in advance I would've saved my money and not applied.

Didn't realize they had such a preference for top undergrads. If I knew this in advance I would've saved my money and not applied.

Pretty sure all top schools are like this. If you have the stats and experiences though you can break into the top 20 from anywhere. I'd imagine alot of the people applying from Yale and Harvard are exceptional and that is why they get interviewed and accepted, but people from no name state school can also be exceptional and get accepted.

I don't want to whine about an II, but god damn there are more essays in the post interview invite form than in the secondary. I thought I was finished with these introspective personal essays...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Pretty sure all top schools are like this. If you have the stats and experiences though you can break into the top 20 from anywhere. I'd imagine alot of the people applying from Yale and Harvard are exceptional and that is why they get interviewed and accepted, but people from no name state school can also be exceptional and get accepted.
I think the charts must be erranous. Isn't it highly unlikely that they've accepted every UM grad they have interviewed over the last 5 years?

I don't want to whine about an II, but god damn there are more essays in the post interview invite form than in the secondary. I thought I was finished with these introspective personal essays...

Dang.....

And they expect that it should take around 30 minutes to complete... lol

Reactions: 1 users
There are post interview invite essays?!!

Reactions: 1 users

I wouldn't assume your app was a waste of money. I was accepted last cycle and I went to a pretty average state school. I didn't think I had a chance when I was surrounded by people from Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. on interview day, but clearly that wasn't the case. Even though on paper it seems like the odds are stacked against you, your experiences and your character are what will matter most.

Reactions: 8 users