2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received an email telling them to apply here? I just got one today.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone emailed the office if they haven't received a secondary? I am trying not to be neurotic, but I am in state and made my campus choice on June 30......

I emailed the office as I'm in the same boat. I have not received a reply...

Has anyone emailed the office if they haven't received a secondary? I am trying not to be neurotic, but I am in state and made my campus choice on June 30......
I was in the same boat. I emailed them to verify that they hadn't sent me the secondary yet because i had been verified for so long. I got the secondary ~4 hours later

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps anyone I think they might be doing it after a certain date in bulk. I submitted my primary 08/01 for MSTP and I got a secondary invite today at 2:26pm EST. I'm an underdog stat-wise so I don't think the screening is too harsh if there is any besides the MCAT cutoff

If it helps anyone I think they might be doing it after a certain date in bulk. I submitted my primary 08/01 for MSTP and I got a secondary invite today at 2:26pm EST. I'm an underdog stat-wise so I don't think the screening is too harsh if there is any besides the MCAT cutoff
What's on the secondary app? I applied MSTP in mid-July and have only received emails telling me that there isn't a secondary for the MSTP program. :thinking:

What's on the secondary app? I applied MSTP in mid-July and have only received emails telling me that there isn't a secondary for the MSTP program. :thinking:
Which PI's you're interested in working with for your PhD, just a list (300 characters), Your current research interests, can list it too (200 characters), and why did you apply to UMN MSTP (200 characters). It was really low-key imo.

About to submit the secondary, and it says "I have reviewed the letters of recommendation to ensure there are no errors" right below the LOR's. Am I supposed to check this box? It says it's required. I haven't reviewed the letters because my understanding is that we aren't supposed to see them, but I'm not sure if they mean something like make sure these are the right letter submission. What did you all do?

About to submit the secondary, and it says "I have reviewed the letters of recommendation to ensure there are no errors" right below the LOR's. Am I supposed to check this box? It says it's required. I haven't reviewed the letters because my understanding is that we aren't supposed to see them, but I'm not sure if they mean something like make sure these are the right letter submission. What did you all do?

Pretty sure it just means make sure they are the correct letters.

Did you guys use all the word count when answering the II questions?

I was verified on 7/12 and picked my location (twin cities) in the original email they sent out but still haven't gotten the email for the secondary a month later. How long did it take you to get your secondary?

Did you guys use all the word count when answering the II questions?
Do you mean the secondary questions? (II = Interview Invite)

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. For the meatier questions I used most if not all of the available characters, but I think approaching secondary questions as if you have to fill the word count bar is the wrong way to think about it. Answer the question. Give the level of detail you feel comfortable and confident about. Don't write simply to fill the word count -- they care about the substance of your answer, not how long it is. Unless you're giving 100 character responses to 1500 character essays (indicating they are likely looking for more in depth responses than you're composing), I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I was verified on 7/12 and picked my location (twin cities) in the original email they sent out but still haven't gotten the email for the secondary a month later. How long did it take you to get your secondary?

I just got my secondary today and was verified 7/6.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, verified in June and just got the secondary yesterday

II received 8/11! They gave me a choice of 4 dates in September. Secondary Submitted 7/24.

Reactions: 3 users
II received 8/11! They gave me a choice of 4 dates in September. Secondary Submitted 7/24.

Are you IS or OOS? Because I've heard the first II are IS only but please let us OOS know!

II received 8/14! Complete 7/28, IS, non-trad.

Reactions: 1 users
What is considered a special tie to MN? The only thing I have is a major surgery that I had done at Mayo; is that worth writing about or should I just skip it?

LOL got my secondary yesterday (LizzyM 68, OOS). Was pretty sure I'd been screened out, this was a nice surprise!

What is considered a special tie to MN? The only thing I have is a major surgery that I had done at Mayo; is that worth writing about or should I just skip it?
lol probably not. that would be great to talk about if applying to mayo though!

Okay I will be starting Medical School in 2 weeks here. I had a 500 MCAT, 3.6 GPA and OOS with no ties to Mn, and got in so worry less about your stats, and more about your application. Write a stellar essay, explain hardships you've gone through and be very open/frank. Edit your essay as many times as possible (5 times for me), and if you have a LinkedIn, update it as I have heard some schools look at that. Also, the interview is extremely important! I cannot stress this enough! if anyone of you gets an interview invite, message me and I'll give you the name of the book I used to prep for all my interviews. The schools I got into told me I had one of the best interviewing of all applicants and I will tell you it was largely due to the info I got from this book (a very affordable book btw). I'm not here to scam anyone but I've been in your shoes before and it's scary. Good luck you guys!

YOU ARE MY ROLE MODEL! THOSE ARE ESSENTIALLY MY STATS :)
Can I PM you for the book?!?!?!

Congrats on getting into this school!

I sent them an email a couple of days ago about my status. (Selected twin cities 6/30). No reply/II so far :(

Did you guys get a complete email after your secondary was submitted and all three boxes were checked off?

Lived there, born there, have close family there, family has a cabin in northern MN; culturally aware of how different Minnesotans can be, weatherly aware how cold it can be, etc. etc. etc. Even a long term visit to Roch is not special connection to the Great State of Hockey... erm, I mean MN. ;)

(40+ year native of the Great State, UMN is my alma mater, and though my heart longs for home, my homeostatic systems say, "No more cold for me!)

If MN accepted me, Id withdraw everything in a heartbeat.
It is a most excellent school with faculty that I adore and AHC executive staff that are the best. I love the buildings, the smell of Diehl, the hallways from Coffman to Moos... it is home. As I type that, a small lump grows in my throat. MN will always be home.

I hope you get a seat @ProspectiveDoc1476 and you accept it and cherish every cold day with warm hearts and hot chocolate :)

Just got II for MSTP! Completed secondary on 8/8. I'm OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Curious, did your secondary portal have any changes to it after the interview invite? Or is everything the same on that site?
Nothing changed in the secondary app portal. In the II email they have a link that sends you directly to a form to pick an interview date. Good luck!!!

II! Also a first one. :) Submitted secondary August 3rd. LizzyM 73.6. WI resident.

Reactions: 2 users
Woo! I got my interview date here! September 21st! My first interview! Talk about anxiety provoking...

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone received an email telling them to apply here? I just got one today.
I applied there then got the email saying to apply there... submitted the D secondary still waiting on the TC secondary