2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the MMI include acting scenarios? or just discussing an issue with an interviewer?
The details are in the PowerPoint that they send. If I remember correctly, there was one acting and the rest were teamwork or discussions.

Reactions: 1 user
Selected to interview!! So unexpected and very happy. 3.8 GPA and LM 65

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a confirmation email with your date? I picked Jan 9 and never got any sort of confirmation

I haven’t heard anything since I picked the dates. They’re prob sorting it out trying to give everyone their preferences.

I have a question for those that interviewed already. Did you go on the 2:30pm tour at the end of the day? If so, what time did it end? I would love to take the the tour. It has been almost two decades since I was a student there, but I also need to fly back that same night and need to know when I should schedule my return flight.

I have a question for those that interviewed already. Did you go on the 2:30pm tour at the end of the day? If so, what time did it end? I would love to take the the tour. It has been almost two decades since I was a student there, but I also need to fly back that same night and need to know when I should schedule my return flight.

It lasted about 45 minutes, but you could drop off of the tour early if you'd like.

You should give yourself ~1 hour on the train and 1 hour at the airport. Check in is fairly easy at MSP.

You'd probably be OK for a flight at 5:30 or after if you go on the tour.

Last edited:
Got a phone call yesterday saying I was accepted to Duluth! I'm so in love with it there! Interviewed 10/13. They blew me away with their commitment to Native health and Native med students. Felt so at home. I interview at TC next Friday, which was my top pick at the start of this cycle but I'm excited to see how I like it now that I'm in love with Duluth.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! :) This my first time posting so I apologize if it ends up in the wrong area.

I sent in my secondary on September 26 and still haven't heard anything back. I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear on a decision. University of Minnesota is my top school, and I just got rejected by Duluth two days ago. I am worried that my chances are looking slim. Thank you for the help!

I sent in my secondary on September 26 and still haven't heard anything back. I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear on a decision.
Sorry to hear about Duluth. There isn't a set time to expect a decision depending on when you submitted the secondary. Although perhaps not entirely accurate, what I have gathered is that the application passes through three different adcoms who essentially each give a thumbs up or down. You need at least two thumbs up to get the II. The time it takes for each adcom to review your app varies depending on their schedules and how many other apps they have in front of them. The good news is that you will hear a response either way rather than have to wait until March/April. Hopefully you will get some good news soon!

It lasted about 45 minutes, but you could drop off of the tour early if you'd like.

You should give yourself ~1 hour on the train and 1 hour at the airport. Check in is fairly easy at MSP.

You'd probably be OK for a flight at 5:30 or after if you go on the tour.

You rock! Thank you so much!

Sorry to hear about Duluth. There isn't a set time to expect a decision depending on when you submitted the secondary. Although perhaps not entirely accurate, what I have gathered is that the application passes through three different adcoms who essentially each give a thumbs up or down. You need at least two thumbs up to get the II. The time it takes for each adcom to review your app varies depending on their schedules and how many other apps they have in front of them. The good news is that you will hear a response either way rather than have to wait until March/April. Hopefully you will get some good news soon!
Thank you so much for the help!! I really appreciate it!

Does anyone know how many interviews does DULUTH have in a week? Is it once a week or twice? Curious to know.

Hi! :) This my first time posting so I apologize if it ends up in the wrong area.

I sent in my secondary on September 26 and still haven't heard anything back. I was wondering how long it usually takes to hear on a decision. University of Minnesota is my top school, and I just got rejected by Duluth two days ago. I am worried that my chances are looking slim. Thank you for the help!
Well I turned my secondary in July 31 and I didn't get my II till October 15 so sometimes takes a while

Hey gang. I interviewed Twin Cities on October 17th.

I called Admissions this morning and asked if the turnaround for decisions was closer to 4 weeks or closer to 6 weeks. I was told I would be given a decision later this week, and at the very latest early next week. So it will be right around 4-5 weeks for myself.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
II to twin cities!!! OOS but with ties to the state!

@HoleInTheDay @RingBear @spotstorm - have any of you gotten confirmation of your interview dates yet? I still haven't and I selected my two top choices almost two weeks ago. Starting to freak out that something went wrong when selecting somehow.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I was surprised to get an II here and I don't want to let it slip through my fingers somehow.

Also, this question is more general, maybe more for MN IS people...

I was wondering if anyone from the area had any tips about interviewing in winter and clothing. For example, what kind of coat would you wear to a winter interview in MN that is still professional but doesn't leave you freezing during a tour? And what about footwear? Do you bring snow boots for the tour and then have a tote with you to put them in and wear regular interview shoes/heels for the rest of the interview day? That seems stressful and I'm not clear on whether a tote is even appropriate. I'm really stressing about all the minutiae of dressing appropriately for the interview but not freezing my butt off either. I've lived in cold, snowy places before, but it was when I was younger, and I never had to wear a suit in any of those situations (actually never have really had to wear a suit before in my life so there's that). So any tips from people in the area would be amazing. It's looking like my TC interview will be in late Jan, if it ever gets scheduled!

@HoleInTheDay @RingBear @spotstorm - have any of you gotten confirmation of your interview dates yet? I still haven't and I selected my two top choices almost two weeks ago. Starting to freak out that something went wrong when selecting somehow.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I was surprised to get an II here and I don't want to let it slip through my fingers somehow.

I was wondering if anyone from the area had any tips about interviewing in winter and clothing. For example, what kind of coat would you wear to a winter interview in MN that is still professional but doesn't leave you freezing during a tour? And what about footwear? Do you bring snow boots for the tour and then have a tote with you to put them in and wear regular interview shoes/heels for the rest of the interview day? That seems stressful and I'm not clear on whether a tote is even appropriate. I'm really stressing about all the minutiae of dressing appropriately for the interview but not freezing my butt off either. I've lived in cold, snowy places before, but it was when I was younger, and I never had to wear a suit in any of those situations (actually never have really had to wear a suit before in my life so there's that). So any tips from people in the area would be amazing. It's looking like my TC interview will be in late Jan, if it ever gets scheduled!

Depending how cold it is I would wear the following: pea coat, scarf, leather gloves and regular shoes, if it’s really cold get an under armor cold gear undershirt or something. The roads and side walks the give you a tour in should definitely be clean enough to where you could wear dress shoes and not ruin them

Reactions: 2 users

I have some other cold weather interviews coming up, and I'm going to skip the boots and just wear flats and a warm jacket. I only have one and I'm not buying another for an interview!

Just a note, wearing heels on ice is a learned skill. I do not suggest trying it for the first time on your interview day. ;)

If you already have a pea coat, leather gloves and boots, wear that and then change.

If you don't already own those things, any jacket will do. You can even mention that you borrowed a jacket for the day (if that's what you end up doing). People in MN love to talk about the weather, so it's good conversation.

The interview is not by the main entrance of the building. You can just get there early in your snow boots and puffer jacket, go to the bathroom and change your shoes/take off jacket/whatever, and then carry your stuff to the interview check in room. The tour is at the end of the day, so you'll go outside again then.

@HoleInTheDay @RingBear @spotstorm - have any of you gotten confirmation of your interview dates yet?
Yes, Mr. Belinski sent the confirmation a few days after I submitted my two dates. If you haven't heard back by now, I would email him to check in. It won't come across as neurotic and will calm your nerves getting some reassurance. :)

I'm not in-state but I did attend the U for a year. From what I recall, unless there was a snow storm the day before, the sidewalks will be cleaned off and easy to walk through. Much of the east bank campus is connected by the "gopher way" which are underground tunnels connecting buildings and underground parking garages. January is pretty cold. I will be wearing a suit, dress shoes, peacoat, scarf, and likely thermals for underclothing. If the forecast looks dreary, I'll bring a satchel to hold a pair of shoe covers so I won't mess up my shoes and won't be slip sliding around :)

Nope have not heard anything in terms of confirmation either! It looks like dates are disappearing on the website as people make preferences, so they may be waiting for all the slots to fill and then confirmation will be sent out? Just a guess! I received dates on the 5th, so I think I will give it a full 2+ weeks before emailing, just because it took 4 weeks to even get dates out. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for all the input re: cold weather and clothing!

It's funny, I kinda forgot that places that get a lot of snow usually are pretty good about clearing it. I live in the Pacific Northwest now where we don't get a ton of snow, and when we get it, it's pretty much there until it melts, with sidewalks covered with layers upon layers of snow and ice, so walking half a block is kinda treacherous. But now that I read these replies, yeah, anywhere snowy I've ever lived has been a lot better about clearing the sidewalks and roads. So that gives some peace of mind.

I don't really have anything for super cold weather. The coat I have is kinda okay for where I live but not for colder weather so I definitely have to get something. I have another interview in MN as well, and pretty much everywhere I applied other than my IS school is in a colder location. So it's prob worth investing in a coat (and honestly I could use something for here too when it gets colder than usual). All of this advice is really helpful!

My dates were offered on the 1st, making tomorrow the two-week mark. I don't want to bug Mr. Belinski but I'm really starting to wonder. I picked the interview dates on my phone too so there's just hat feeling of what if something went wrong, it didn't go through, etc, even though all looked fine on my end. Hmmm.

If honest try to hold off on any underclothing you don’t normally wear actually, it’s better to be cold walking from building to building than sweating yourself to death in an interview

Reactions: 1 users

It's funny, I kinda forgot that places that get a lot of snow usually are pretty good about clearing it. I live in the Pacific Northwest now where we don't get a ton of snow, and when we get it, it's pretty much there until it melts, with sidewalks covered with layers upon layers of snow and ice, so walking half a block is kinda treacherous. But now that I read these replies, yeah, anywhere snowy I've ever lived has been a lot better about clearing the sidewalks and roads. So that gives some peace of mind.

I don't really have anything for super cold weather. The coat I have is kinda okay for where I live but not for colder weather so I definitely have to get something. I have another interview in MN as well, and pretty much everywhere I applied other than my IS school is in a colder location. So it's prob worth investing in a coat (and honestly I could use something for here too when it gets colder than usual). All of this advice is really helpful!

My dates were offered on the 1st, making tomorrow the two-week mark. I don't want to bug Mr. Belinski but I'm really starting to wonder. I picked the interview dates on my phone too so there's just hat feeling of what if something went wrong, it didn't go through, etc, even though all looked fine on my end. Hmmm.
I did too which made me a little nervous, but when I went back to the browser and tried to enter again just to confirm it said "this amcas id has already selected interview dates" so you're likely fine!
If tomorrow is 2 weeks, maybe give it til Friday and shoot an email just checking in.

During our tour we didn't go outside as many buildings in the health science complex are connected by large tunnels.

Help! My interview is this Friday Nov. 17th - has anyone received the "Powerpoint" people are talking about?

Just received an II! Ecstatic! OOS

Just received an II! Ecstatic! OOS
Same (OOS but living in MN 4 years for school w/ all my non-parental family here) II for my secondary which was submitted 9/26. Interview dates were mid-Jan and mid-Feb.

@RaspberrySlushy I emailed Mr. Belinski about a slightly different interview question and he responded in like 2 minutes and sounded aware of my date selections, so I'm guessing they are just moving slowly for whatever reason!

I submitted 8/20. For those who are still waiting, don't lose hope! Good luck everyone! :)

Any news recently? On the acceptance front?

Last edited:
Did anybody who selected interview dates yesterday get a confirmation email yet?

Accepted today! Interviewed 10/13 IS

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewing 12/13 at Duluth campus, in-state. Anyone who interviewed already and was accepted, any tips/tricks? Please PM! :)