2017-2018 University of Nevada - Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What aspect of medical school do you foresee being of greatest challenge to you and why? How will you prepare for it? (250 words)

The state of Nevada faces a challenge in meeting the medical needs of some patients from diverse backgrounds, such as non-English speaking patients, patients from different races or ethnicities, or patients from the LGBTQ community. Please briefly describe the disparity being faced by one of these groups and respond to the following:
1. How would you personally contribute to meeting challenges in serving patients from diverse backgrounds?
2. How could you contribute to institutional efforts to alleviate these health disparities?
(350 words)

Indicate any paid or volunteer experience, activities, or duties and the amount of time spent which you feel to be relevant to the study of medicine. Please list only experiences not only included on your amcas application. (NOTE: include dates and hours.)

You will also need to fill out required coursework and a residency application
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
images

I spoke to an admissions representative at UNR and they told me that secondaries will go out in early September.

Reactions: 8 users
Pro: just got a secondary! :D
Con: also got an email saying that I haven't completed basic coursework, oops. I took equivalent courses specific to my major that haven't caused problems elsewhere--does anyone know how flexible UNR is with this? I'm going to give my undergrad a call too...

Prompts @gyngyn

What aspect of medical school do you foresee being of greatest challenge to you and why? How will you prepare for it? (250 words)

The state of Nevada faces a challenge in meeting the medical needs of some patients from diverse backgrounds, such as non-English speaking patients, patients from different races or ethnicities, or patients from the LGBTQ community. Please briefly describe the disparity being faced by one of these groups and respond to the following:
1. How would you personally contribute to meeting challenges in serving patients from diverse backgrounds?
2. How could you contribute to institutional efforts to alleviate these health disparities?
(350 words)

Indicate any paid or volunteer experience, activities, or duties and the amount of time spent which you feel to be relevant to the study of medicine. Please list only experiences not only included on your amcas application. (NOTE: include dates and hours.)

You will also need to fill out required coursework and a residency application

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one that sees nothing under the Instruction Letter? It just says "Application Instruction" and is blank, but I need the address and stuff that is apparently there? Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one that sees nothing under the Instruction Letter? It just says "Application Instruction" and is blank, but I need the address and stuff that is apparently there? Any help would be much appreciated!
It's blank for me too! I can't currently give them a call but I'll probably do that at some point to sort it out

It's blank for me too! I can't currently give them a call but I'll probably do that at some point to sort it out
I called them and they fixed it over the phone, I would just call when you get a chance. They seemed to know there was an issue, but since I called she fixed mine right then and there.

Reactions: 1 user
I called them and they fixed it over the phone, I would just call when you get a chance. They seemed to know there was an issue, but since I called she fixed mine right then and there.
Oh, sounds good, thanks! I guess I have to wait until Monday now though huh... :nailbiting:

Oh, sounds good, thanks! I guess I have to wait until Monday now though huh... :nailbiting:
You shouldn't have to wait, the address you need is:
"
University of Nevada, Reno
ADMISSIONS AND RECORDS
ATTN: Molly Beaupre
1664 N. VIRGINIA ST. MS 0120
RENO, NV 89557
"
Thats where the PDF has to get sent. It won't prevent you from submitting your secondary if anything.

Did anyone not get a secondary? I don't see one in my email. I'm IS with LizzyM 75+ so I don't think I would have been screened out already...

Did anyone not get a secondary? I don't see one in my email. I'm IS with LizzyM 75+ so I don't think I would have been screened out already...
I wouldn't worry at all. I know a few people with way better stats than me who haven't got one either (all IS as well). Seems like there sending them out in waves and not all at once. But who knows lol all neurotic speculation...

What is everyone doing for the "brief description" part of your laboratory experience under the experiences tab? Are you copying and pasting what you wrote for your research in AMCAS or...?

First MD II! Such a fast turn over.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how strict are they with the geographic requirements? I'm from Los Angeles area which isn't considered an "eastern CA county" but would love to go to Nevada for school

I haven't officially made a decision yet, but it's very likely that I will be withdrawing my application from here because of conflicts with prerequisite coursework that I can't afford to repeat. Best of luck to everyone applying--enjoy my home state for me! :D

Secondary received 8/18/17, submitted last night 8/22/17. Invitation to interview received today at 11am for Sept 6 and 7. I'm an IS applicant.

Last edited:
I called the admissions office and they said that they aren't sending any secondaries out until the beginning of next month. So how are people getting secondaries/ interviews? Are you doing special programs or something?

I called the admissions office and they said that they aren't sending any secondaries out until the beginning of next month. So how are people getting secondaries/ interviews? Are you doing special programs or something?
Maybe they're doing it in waves? It's still very early in the cycle for UNR so don't worry too much. FWIW, I got a secondary this morning and am not in any special program

II received 8/18/17, submitted last night 8/22/17. Invitation to interview received today at 11am for Sept 6 and 7. I'm an IS applicant.
Did you have to fill out the residency application too? If so, was that received before your II (interview invite)?

No special programs, just a strong IS candidate. My name is alphabetically at the top too so maybe they are just starting the batches.
I filled out the residency application and turned it in with the secondary, so it was received before the interview invitation.

I was also told by admissions staff this past Monday that secondaries would not be sent out until the end of this week... Are you all early decision?

I was also told by admissions staff this past Monday that secondaries would not be sent out until the end of this week... Are you all early decision?
I was regular decision. IS, AMCAS verified end of June, extremely strong ties to Nevada/UNR. I did get an email this morning confirming my withdrawal though, so there might be some secondary movement soon?

No, I wasn't early decision. That's weird because I got my secondary the same day I emailed admissions expressing my continued interest and wondering when they will be sending them. I'm considered IS for admissions sake and urm fwiw

What the heck is going on with my neighbors to the North. Haha This is my last secondary and I want to get it done!

Received secondary just now!

I'm an MSII here. If anyone has questions about anything, I'll do my best to answer them. I'll check back as often as I can. Feel free to send me a message anytime.

I'm an MSII here. If anyone has questions about anything, I'll do my best to answer them. I'll check back as often as I can. Feel free to send me a message anytime.
I have an interview here on the 20-21st. How "business casual" do they expect for the welcome day? Are we talking slacks and a collar shirt or dress pants and a shirt and tie with no suit jacket? (for males)

I have an interview here on the 20-21st. How "business casual" do they expect for the welcome day? Are we talking slacks and a collar shirt or dress pants and a shirt and tie with no suit jacket? (for males)

I would say business casual would be slacks and a long-sleeved collared shirt. You could throw in a sport coat as well if you are into that sort of thing. Good Luck!

Exactly as mentioned by Forever.Faithful. Slacks and collared shirt. Decent shoes. Think job interview. Tie is optional, most in my class don't wear one usually when we have to get all fancy-like.

Good luck!

Has anyone else still not gotten a secondary here? I'm wondering if I should email them.

Has anyone else still not gotten a secondary here? I'm wondering if I should email them.
Are you considered in-state for them (went to high school and graduated, went to an NSHE university or college, have parents living in-state)? If you look at previous threads, much of the OOS and even some instate didn't get a secondary until waaaaay late and still got accepted. They're just a little picky here.

I am OOS and I already received the secondary. You can email Ms. Pat Romney in the admissions. She is very nice and usually quick to respond.

I'm in-state, 520+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, 1000+ hours of research, 2 publications, and no secondary. . .

I'm in-state, 520+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, 1000+ hours of research, 2 publications, and no secondary. . .

They may be holding out on yours because you'll likely get into a top 10. If you're really interested and worried, just email Pat. She's really nice and will likely move you to the top of her list to review.

Finally got my secondary. Last one of the cycle!

For those who already had their interview last week, do they have a place to check in your suitcase on the interview on Thursday?

Received and Submitted Secondary 9/15,
II yesterday! Crazy turn around time. Haha

Did anyone else following this thread interview last week (9/20-21/2017)? I really liked that crowd of people and wouldn't mind keeping in touch throughout the cycle. :)

Did anyone else following this thread interview last week (9/20-21/2017)? I really liked that crowd of people and wouldn't mind keeping in touch throughout the cycle. :)

Me! :) Also, I completely fell in love with the school at the interview. It's going to be a long wait until January...

II for November 9th, OOS. I am so excited, UNR is my top choice!