2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone was happy and positive about the school. I along with my three interviewers laughed throughout my interview. I came out of the interview smiling and knew this was the school I wanted to go to.
Thank you so much! I have heard excellent things about UNECOM. I appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed early Dec and am hoping for an acceptance. I was just wondering what the deposit situation is at UNECOM?.. just in case if I am accepted I want to be financially prepared.
Thank you in advance

I interviewed early Dec and am hoping for an acceptance. I was just wondering what the deposit situation is at UNECOM?.. just in case if I am accepted I want to be financially prepared.
Thank you in advance
$500 nonrefundable in 30 days and then $1500 in 60 days refundable until may 1st.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing 1/23! Incredibly excited but kinda nervous because I looked at the old thread and people who interviewed after November seemed to get waitlisted :(
This school sounds amazing, I'm already half in love.

Waitlisted, interviewed 12/6

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing 1/23! Incredibly excited but kinda nervous because I looked at the old thread and people who interviewed after November seemed to get waitlisted :(
This school sounds amazing, I'm already half in love.

So I think that the class is currently full. But, several of my classmates were admitted off of the waitlist or didn’t even interview until March. So don’t be discouraged about that! Good luck!

Do you know if they accept non-academic updates post-II but before the Jan. date?

Do you know if they accept non-academic updates post-II but before the Jan. date?
I gave them an update right after my interview in person. They said they would skim through it.

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invite for UNECOM scheduled for January! I was really excited to receive it, as this was actually one of the top 3 schools I wanted to attend, and I was a bit sad when I didn't heard from them a month or two back. I have already put down a deposit at a school that was also a top choice for me for matriculation next year because that deadline came and went... However, I am kind of bummed about having to say No to UNECOM.

For those of you who have interviewed here, how did you feel about the school, faculty and students? I have seen a few interview tips here, but I wanted to get a feel for the general vibe and impression that other interviewees have gotten from their time spent at UNECOM/Biddeford. Although an aesthetic quality, the photographs of Biddeford in the Fall, Spring and Summer are so beautiful that they make me want to go up there and check the school out! Thank you.

It sounds like you're trying to 'interview' the school to see if it is worth the effort, which I completely understand considering your situation (congratulations!). Just a suggestion, if you have the time and resources you can always visit the school and try to shadow a student before the interview date. It'll have virtually zero effect on your application but you don't need to come in with the level of commitment and expectations of an interview visit. I had several people shadow me a couple of days before having their interview and they thought it was helpful. It'll hopefully best inform you whether or not to accept the interview.

Hey guys I was just wait listed to UNECOM. Any advice, support or success stories? I am really stressed because I am also wait listed to another school and being in limbo is rough.

Last edited:
Hey guys I was just wait listed to UNECOM. Any advice, support or success stories? I am really stressed because I am also wait listed to another school and being in limbo is rough.
3.6 cpa
3.4 sgpa
500 mcat

A brief letter of intent probably wouldn’t hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview for 1/25! So excited. Waiting to hear back from Touro-Middletown as well which I had an interview for 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any advice on choosing if I happen to get into both?

Interview for 1/25! So excited. Waiting to hear back from Touro-Middletown as well which I had an interview for 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any advice on choosing if I happen to get into both?

hey when did you get an II and when were you complete? also congrats!

Positivevibes5 made a super good comment earlier in this thread. This really accentuates why I'm planning to attend UNECOM:

"I was torn between Western and UNECOM and made my decision to attend UNECOM. I'll explain my reasoning for pro UNECOM in bullets. I don't know much about RVUCOM or DMU but it may help you out in your own comparison of them.

- Ranks as the 11th best medical school (MD and DO) for primary care physicians <<<What I am most interested in

- Ranks as TOP ten to match with 1st choice residency program as well as top board scores <<< I wanna do what I wanna do lol

- 3rd year rotations are set at 1 site so no scrambling as described for Western <<<Friend in his residency, who went to UNR-SOM, said he did his at one site as well and it gave him lots of opportunities and loved it (opportunities like forming significant relationships for letters for residency; less stress of moving every 4 weeks and not having to relearn new rules, expectations and how to get around, etc.)

- Have 6 weeks at UNE vs 4 weeks at Western in each core rotation 3rd year

- Cost of Living is MUCH more reasonable (Ultimately reducing amount of total loan needed) <<< Very important to me

- Every student I have spoken to seems incredibly happy with their choice <<< Super important to me

- Facilities are better than Westerns

- Per 2016 Match rates it looks like UNECOM has a advantage over Western for OB/GYN, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine. <<< Not super important but these are some specialties that I have a slight interest in and don't wanna limit my opportunities.

- Semi-mandatory attendance <<<Super important to me"

Hey! I was waitlisted at UNECOM and three other schools. I know how you feel, being in limbo was a horrible feeling. But keep the faith and definitely express interest to UNECOM admissions if you really wanna go here! I reached out to them and was accepted off the waitlist.

I just finished my first semester here and did really well - so don’t let being waitlisted Get you down or make you think that maybe you shouldn’t be here. I had people express doubt in my abilities and it felt so good to prove them wrong!

If you have any questions don’t hesistate to ask!

Reactions: 3 users
I was wait listed with the 12/6 interviews. Just wondering if anyone knew the turnaround to get off the list? Especially people on the list early because I'm assuming that interview week was the first batch put on. 514 mcat, 3.7smp

I was wait listed with the 12/6 interviews. Just wondering if anyone knew the turnaround to get off the list? Especially people on the list early because I'm assuming that interview week was the first batch put on. 514 mcat, 3.7smp

I interviewed early November last cycle, waitlisted mid December and then accepted the 2nd week of January. So the waitlist can move pretty quickly.

Definitely UNECOM.

Do any current students on here know anyone who is doing the DO/MPH program?

The touro system in general is awful for a variety of reasons. Stay away.

That is a relatively new program so I'm not sure anyone has done it yet. I did my MPH prior to med school and I highly recommend it as a field of study! I also worked with someone during my preceptorship for my MPH who was doing hers through UNE and she only had positive things to say about the quality of their program.
Do any current students on here know anyone who is doing the DO/MPH program?

Hey guys, I have an interview scheduled for the 17th. I am trying to book flights and was wondering what time the interview finishes? would a 5:45pm flight out of Portland be cutting it too close? Thanks!

Hey guys, I have an interview scheduled for the 17th. I am trying to book flights and was wondering what time the interview finishes? would a 5:45pm flight out of Portland be cutting it too close? Thanks!

I interviewed in the morning session and was in the first interviewing group so my interview and tour were over around 11 am. I e-mailed them concerned about the same thing when booking my flights and they let me know that at the latest the morning session would be done would be by noon. If anything give them a call or e-mail and they will let you know. I know the office is closed though until the 2nd.

Last edited:

It’s not close at all. The traffic is light and I’ve never seen a security line at the airport, I can always walk right up.

Ya you will be fine! Im interviewing the same day and my flight is at 3:30 :)

I am assuming you are in the morning session correct?
Oh, So if I received an email saying to be there at 7:45 this would make me a morning session? I thought everyone reported at the same time and then they split us up into two different groups like other schools do. In other words, if you were an afternoon session your email invite would say so?

Oh, So if I received an email saying to be there at 7:45 this would make me a morning session? I thought everyone reported at the same time and then they split us up into two different groups like other schools do. In other words, if you were an afternoon session your email invite would say so?
Yes. There is a morning and an afternoon session. Morning starts at 8 AM and the afternoon session starts at noon.
If that is the case, a 5:45 flight would be much more than enough time. You will have some time to explore Biddo and Portland if you haven't before!

Yes. There is a morning and an afternoon session. Morning starts at 8 AM and the afternoon session starts at noon.
If that is the case, a 5:45 flight would be much more than enough time. You will have some time to explore Biddo and Portland if you haven't before!

Definitely recommend going to Portland (admittedly biased :) )

Great walkable little city, and you can taxi/uber to the airport in literally no time at all.

Hey guys, does anyone know if une accepts pre II updates such as shadowing a DO. If so, where do I send it too?

Have any accepted students heard anything about immunizations/background checks yet?

Have any accepted students heard anything about immunizations/background checks yet?

Looking through my inbox last year, immunizations should come later this month (sometime before spring), background checks in mid May (somewhere in the spring).

How have students in the past gone about finding roommates for housing? Just the FB page? I don't even know where to start.

How have students in the past gone about finding roommates for housing? Just the FB page? I don't even know where to start.
Yea I think that is where the majority of people found their roommates. As the facebook group fills and people really start looking for housing, you will see a lot of posts of people talking about a place they are looking at and asking if anyone is interested.

II! Interview scheduled for 1/25. Can't wait, this is my top choice!

congrats, when were you complete?
Complete 7/24/17.

Went to student reception/school conference in Boston in 8/20/17. Visited the school in November. II on 12/21/17.

So excited, I've done everything I possibly could to get recognized and it paid off! I hope I make a lasting impression at the interview :)

Where do people typically live around here? I'd like to add some apartments to a list of apartments to check out when I go up.

Where do people typically live around here? I'd like to add some apartments to a list of apartments to check out when I go up.
People kind of live all over. In Biddeford itself there aren't a lot of "traditional" apartment buildings of the kind that you will find in most areas. I did a lot of googling and looking at the University's off campus student housing page since I didn't feel like waiting as long as it took for the spreadsheet of vacant housing to come out. The only real apartment complex that I have been to is the Saco Mills. A decent number of people live in vacation rentals near the beach or other smaller apartment buildings in converted homes in Biddeford.

Stay warm this week!!! Currently seriously considering buying a automatic car starter before moving up there, among other things of course haha

Reactions: 3 users
Stay warm this week!!! Currently seriously considering buying a automatic car starter before moving up there, among other things of course haha
Seriously!! I have an interview coming up within the month and as a native SoCal I have absolutely no idea what to wear to stay warm and still look professional...please help haha

Seriously!! I have an interview coming up within the month and as a native SoCal I have absolutely no idea what to wear to stay warm and still look professional...please help haha

Upstate New Yorker here. Go buy some cheap under armor, it won't make you look poofy while wearing a suit and can easily be worn underneath. I would bring your dress shoes separately and wear boots out and change right before heading into the building. They put salt down on the roads which can make your shoes turn white.

Also, bring a scarf. Scarves won't mess up your hair if you use gel or hairspray. You can also take a scarf off whenever and they weight next to nothing. Don't wear a hat, wear something with a hood. A hat will mess up your hair while a hood can rest on top. Also, hoods stop cold wind from hitting the back of your neck.

Hope this helps.

If you're from SoCal you have access to an REI. I highly recommend purchasing silk long underwear from them. They won't show up under things and they're super warm. I got them before going to New Zealand to watch penguins and I survived and I wear them all the time here. If you're a girl and plan on wearing a suit skirt get some fleece lined tights. They are the best things ever! Mostly just go to REI and wander through the snow stuff and just find things that you can wear under things. If you have a nice wool coat those are great and look super nice and will be plenty warm if you add another jacket layer underneath. Layers will be your best friend.