2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like being waitlisted is such a struggle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does UNECOM drug test prior to beginning of first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like being waitlisted is such a struggle.

YES! I feel this. I'm debating whether or not to retake my MCAT since it would suck to invest that time and money and turns out I do get in this cycle after all. But if I chance it and come July I don't get in, that leaves me zero time to study/retake in a timely manner since I think their application cycles open up in May or June. asdfkasdfasdf

The MCAT internal debate truly resonates with me. I do not want to have to push myself to study after work/weekends if I don't have to.

Reactions: 1 users
The MCAT internal debate truly resonates with me. I do not want to have to push myself to study after work/weekends if I don't have to.
Totally! it's also another couple hundred dollars a drop in the bucket in how much tuition is but still something... I have a decent score but it is probably my weakest stat in my app...

Totally! it's also another couple hundred dollars a drop in the bucket in how much tuition is but still something... I have a decent score but it is probably my weakest stat in my app...
YES! I feel this. I'm debating whether or not to retake my MCAT since it would suck to invest that time and money and turns out I do get in this cycle after all. But if I chance it and come July I don't get in, that leaves me zero time to study/retake in a timely manner since I think their application cycles open up in May or June. asdfkasdfasdf

So I’m only saying this as a reference and not at all to make anyone feel any sort of way. Lol just wanted to clarify because emotions run high on this app. But I did want to tell a little bit of my story, hopefully to make you guys feel better.

I had this debate last cycle for the longest time and didn’t start studying until February. I scheduled my test for late April so my score would be ready but my practice scores didn’t show the improvement I wanted. So I rescheduled to give myself a few more weeks. I started getting nervous about my practice scores so I signed up for a $1,400 month long course on test taking strategy that people swore by BUT it meant rescheduling again to late May. And more money lost. I STILL didn’t see the improvement I wanted. So I debated on taking a gap year to give myself more time to study and get the score I wanted but a mentor convinced me to reapply and focus on really selling all of my strengths. So I cancelled the test and lost all of that money.

However, I rewrote every single essay about every work experience I had, edited the crap out of my personal statements, and added new experiences I had done over the year of that app cycle. I applied the very first day I could. And then got a head start on my secondaries by looking at the previous cycle and having a draft of my essays done so all I had to do was edit or change one question but It made it so I had a 2-5 day turn around on all my apps.

Last cycle I received one interview. This cycle I received 6 interviews with 2 acceptances and a waitlist so far. I’m definitely set on attending UNE-COM and couldn’t be more excited. But moral of the story is I applied with the same less than average MCAT score. There is so much stress on the MCAT and from personal experience I really don’t know how important it is besides when you apply to a top tier research focused school. I really want to believe that schools do care about the person that you are and how your experiences shaped you just as much as metrics. As well as applying EARLY.

I know you are all so very focused on the MCAT but also take a look at other parts of your application and try and improve those with just as much dedication as you are with getting a better score on the MCAT. That’s just my two cents that turned into a long drawn out story Lol. I wish you all the best of luck and truly believe that you will be accepted to the school that you are meant to be at. I know it’s stressful and feels awful to be in this position right now but in all seriousness as much as I hated reapplying it was great that it happened for so many personal reasons. Which is why I know I had to go through the process for a reason. Keep your heads up, especially because there is DEFINITELY still hope for waitlist movement. Again wish you all the luck!

Last edited:
So it looks like I will more than likely be attending here and I'm very excited.

I know there is a facebook but I don't have one. am I missing out on anything?

I find it kind of odd that the year seems to start in july. This is early is it not? I am on the waitlist at my super dream school I wonder if that will be bad if I enroll here and then get in there after enrollment? It seems unlikely but I would be lying to say I'm not wondering

I have not started the process of looking for housing yet. Anyone know when leases for the year "turn over"? and when there is the biggest glut of housing for the cheapest prices? everywhere I have lived this has coincided with the school year, so new leases generally start in august. I want to live in a one bedroom or a studio, so I don't know when the best time to start a lease would be? don't want to wait to the last minute when there's no inventory, but don't want to do it too early either.

Also, and this is a petty concern... I know they will send us tech requirements soon. Does anyone know if there are apple computer options? It seems like most med schools use thinkpads or other windows computers. I would prefer to use an apple laptop for easier iPad integration especially with PDFs/tetbooks etc, plus im already "invested" in the apple "ecosystem" oh well.

Reactions: 1 user
So it looks like I will more than likely be attending here and I'm very excited.

I know there is a facebook but I don't have one. am I missing out on anything?

I find it kind of odd that the year seems to start in july. This is early is it not? I am on the waitlist at my super dream school I wonder if that will be bad if I enroll here and then get in there after enrollment? It seems unlikely but I would be lying to say I'm not wondering

I have not started the process of looking for housing yet. Anyone know when leases for the year "turn over"? and when there is the biggest glut of housing for the cheapest prices? everywhere I have lived this has coincided with the school year, so new leases generally start in august. I want to live in a one bedroom or a studio, so I don't know when the best time to start a lease would be? don't want to wait to the last minute when there's no inventory, but don't want to do it too early either.

Also, and this is a petty concern... I know they will send us tech requirements soon. Does anyone know if there are apple computer options? It seems like most med schools use thinkpads or other windows computers. I would prefer to use an apple laptop for easier iPad integration especially with PDFs/tetbooks etc, plus im already "invested" in the apple "ecosystem" oh well.

I recommend you get a Facebook account. I have a couple of friends who never had an account but were compelled to get one just to join the page. You will get a lot of info from the page, in addition to the housing stuff. Treat it like a student forum for the class since it will be active for all of your years.

July start is very early relatively. This has already been talked about in the earlier posts so I recommend you read those for reasons why. You could always ask UNECOM and your waitlist school for advice, it's probably a problem they heard of before.

Facebook group will also be a great source for housing. People are finding roommates now and advertising housing around this time. You can start looking now and at least making phone calls/sending emails to do research.

Apple computers will be fine. My friend uses just an iPad except for exams where we have to use a computer. We use Blackboard, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Examsoft and Panopto.

Hmm so just wondering if Microsoft Office is required does that pretty much mean a windows computer is required? I know they make awful versions for mac but is it used heavily? oh well. Silly thing to think about.

Anyways. Does anyone know if the new student building is done yet? On interview day they showed us the building and said it should be done by the time we started! looked very big. I hope I get to go to osteoblast.

Hmm so just wondering if Microsoft Office is required does that pretty much mean a windows computer is required? I know they make awful versions for mac but is it used heavily? oh well. Silly thing to think about.

Anyways. Does anyone know if the new student building is done yet? On interview day they showed us the building and said it should be done by the time we started! looked very big. I hope I get to go to osteoblast.
Yes! The interviewees starting in January got to see it/have breakfast or lunch there!! It is AMAZING. It reminds me of a ski lodge haha. Lot of variety, huge spaces to study, and great view.

Members don't see this ad :)
They give you microsoft 365. you need to login to your email (office 365) and download it. Other than that, don't worry about buying a new computer. If examplify can't download on your computer that's when you have to worry. You should be fine. people use computers from 2011 and they work.

1) keep your costs low. Don't buy any books except for an atlas and rohens. I did this and it's not worth it. They don't give you rohens on the drive.

2) rest up. 1st block will smack you hard. You can prepare for it though. Start looking into upper extremity anatomy. Trust me...you'll be way ahead. Also, look up OMM (muscle energy, soft tissue release and counter strain) techniques. The grading will through you off in the begging. It's important to remember to do a bit of everything. Don't blow off things that are going to be tested on. 1 anatomy exam that is 70 questions that is a 2 hour exam is worth as much as 10 radiology questions that is 10 minutes (just the schools grading).

3) Good luck and let me know if you have more questions

No, office isn’t required. We get it for free too, if you login to your Microsoft office email online and download it. Get ready for next year by chilling and hitting it hard the first block. Grading can be weird at the start. If you want to get ahead, just review upper extremity anatomy, look into upper extremity Omm (ie. counterstrain, muscle energy, soft tissue). Trust me, if you do that you’ll thank me. It’ll make the first block be so easy. Enjoy the rest of your months. First year can be a seesaw

Sorry if this has already been asked - but does anyone know what time interviews at UNECOM conclude? Because I have an interview the following day that is about an 8 hour drive.

Sorry if this has already been asked - but does anyone know what time interviews at UNECOM conclude? Because I have an interview the following day that is about an 8 hour drive.
Is yours a morning or afternoon interview?

Yes the new Ripich Commons is completely open now. It is an incredible building with a ton of space!

The end time depends on if you are in the first or 2nd interview group. You are able to leave whenever you have interviewed and taken the tour.

Does anyone have this years match list yet?
A list hasn't been released to us yet. I only know a handful of matches from what I have heard from the fellows. Supposedly a very strong year for the class of 2018.

I'm dying to go here, it's not even funny at this point D:

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I've been fortunate enough to receive an acceptance here! However, I am on the waitlist at a few other schools that begin classes in August, which more or less seems like the normal time that 2018 medical schools are beginning classes. While I am excited about UNECOM, I want to be able to keep my options open. Since there's a very real chance of being kept on waitlists until the last minute, does anyone have advice on how to handle this with UNECOM's orientation starting on June 28th?

Hey everyone, I've been fortunate enough to receive an acceptance here! However, I am on the waitlist at a few other schools that begin classes in August, which more or less seems like the normal time that 2018 medical schools are beginning classes. While I am excited about UNECOM, I want to be able to keep my options open. Since there's a very real chance of being kept on waitlists until the last minute, does anyone have advice on how to handle this with UNECOM's orientation starting on June 28th?
Yea that is a tough situation to be in. I was in the same sort of thing last year with orientation at my other schools starting mid August. There really is not much that you can do about it unfortunately. Once you start at a school, I believe you are ineligible for acceptance off of a waitlist, but don't quote me on that.

Yea that is a tough situation to be in. I was in the same sort of thing last year with orientation at my other schools starting mid August. There really is not much that you can do about it unfortunately. Once you start at a school, I believe you are ineligible for acceptance off of a waitlist, but don't quote me on that.

Yea, I'm really unclear on the protocol here. This is so far my only acceptance and I wouldn't want to turn this down only for the chance of acceptance at a different school. However, for various reasons, I would prefer acceptance at one of the other schools.

This seems to be a unique problem to UNECOM since I don't know of any other school that starts nearly this early. To make it more challenging, the other schools are MD schools and therefore I don't believe they follow the same trafficking rules. However, obviously by starting classes I'll have initiated a lot of irreversible things (e.g. loans, spot in classes). It seems like my only option is to stay on the waitlist and if nothing happens by mid/late June I would go to UNECOM. @Goro would that make the most sense?

Yea, I'm really unclear on the protocol here. This is so far my only acceptance and I wouldn't want to turn this down only for the chance of acceptance at a different school. However, for various reasons, I would prefer acceptance at one of the other schools.

This seems to be a unique problem to UNECOM since I don't know of any other school that starts nearly this early. To make it more challenging, the other schools are MD schools and therefore I don't believe they follow the same trafficking rules. However, obviously by starting classes I'll have initiated a lot of irreversible things (e.g. loans, spot in classes). It seems like my only option is to stay on the waitlist and if nothing happens by mid/late June I would go to UNECOM. @Goro would that make the most sense?
If it makes you feel better I'm 110% in the exact same situation with all of the same stress

I'm right there with you both, waiting to hear from my top choice while currently 2 deposits deep for UNECOM. I'm so grateful to be accepted here but at this point I just want to hear from my other school so I can move on with my life and start transitioning to my life up in Maine if need be.

Reactions: 2 users
One can go M.D. after matriculating at a DO school (we've seen this happen at my school), but not to another DO school.

So
M.D.-> M.D.? NO
DO -> DO? NO
DO -> M.D. yes
M.D.-> DO? Maybe on the planet Zool, but not here on Earth.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I’m over here on the waitlist hoping you all get in at your other schools too

Reactions: 5 users
One can go M.D. after matriculating at a DO school (we've seen this happen at my school), but not to another DO school.

So
M.D.-> M.D.? NO
DO -> DO? NO
DO -> M.D. yes
M.D.-> DO? Maybe on the planet Zool, but not here on Earth.
Ah good to know. Thanks for clearing that up, Goro!

They give you microsoft 365. you need to login to your email (office 365) and download it. Other than that, don't worry about buying a new computer. If examplify can't download on your computer that's when you have to worry. You should be fine. people use computers from 2011 and they work.

1) keep your costs low. Don't buy any books except for an atlas and rohens. I did this and it's not worth it. They don't give you rohens on the drive.

2) rest up. 1st block will smack you hard. You can prepare for it though. Start looking into upper extremity anatomy. Trust me...you'll be way ahead. Also, look up OMM (muscle energy, soft tissue release and counter strain) techniques. The grading will through you off in the begging. It's important to remember to do a bit of everything. Don't blow off things that are going to be tested on. 1 anatomy exam that is 70 questions that is a 2 hour exam is worth as much as 10 radiology questions that is 10 minutes (just the schools grading).

in the 1st block, will head/neck anatomy be covered? or only upper extremity?

Thanks @allanMED15 . Does anyone remember what parts of biochemistry and genetics (ie glycolysis?) was covered in 1st block of OMK? I haven't studied those subjects in years, and was wanting to gloss over them before school starts.

Thanks @allanMED15 . Does anyone remember what parts of biochemistry and genetics (ie glycolysis?) was covered in 1st block of OMK? I haven't studied those subjects in years, and was wanting to gloss over them before school starts.

Honestly I don’t think we did any biochem in block 1. I think it was mainly micro and Immunology.

Honestly I don’t think we did any biochem in block 1. I think it was mainly micro and Immunology.

Also, they will be very specific about what you need to know and what you don't. Ex. You don't need to memorize every step of glycolysis (like you had to do for the MCAT), just the important regulatory steps and how it works in the larger context.

Don't feel compelled to review anything, they'll give you all the information you need to know and they present it easy enough to pick it up again. Ex. They gave us some review materials for acid-base and pH before teaching us about acid-base disorders.
It can also be difficult to predict what they will teach each block as the info is not readily available until 1-2 weeks beforehand, and each block organization is subject to change each year.

Also, they will be very specific about what you need to know and what you don't. Ex. You don't need to memorize every step of glycolysis (like you had to do for the MCAT), just the important regulatory steps and how it works in the larger context.

Don't feel compelled to review anything, they'll give you all the information you need to know and they present it easy enough to pick it up again. Ex. They gave us some review materials for acid-base and pH before teaching us about acid-base disorders.
It can also be difficult to predict what they will teach each block as the info is not readily available until 1-2 weeks beforehand, and each block organization is subject to change each year.
ok thanks guys!

what have people been doing on the waitlist to stay in contact with admissions besides a letter of intent and update letter?

So, we just finished our block 5. I’m proud to say that I could fail tremendously block 6 and still pass the courses (if I pass my retakes). Regardless, OCS will be your big course this year. The grading is so weird. You really need to make sure to focus on everything in OCS. Anatomy is worth as much as 10 imaging questions. OMK biochem is a joke. They even give you a metabolic map.

what have people been doing on the waitlist to stay in contact with admissions besides a letter of intent and update letter?
I didn't reply to the e-mail saying take me off :D does that count? I haven't done anything different from you though, good luck!

Withdrawing my acceptance ! Hoping those on the waitlist hear good news in the near future.

Reactions: 4 users

They are accepting letters of intent at this point as well, which usually packs more punch than a letter of interest since you're basically guaranteeing them you'll go there if accepted (so don't write one if you don't mean it!).

They are accepting letters of intent at this point as well, which usually packs more punch than a letter of interest since you're basically guaranteeing them you'll go there if accepted (so don't write one if you don't mean it!).

Whoops - totally misread your post as "letter of interest" not "letter of intent". I blame the stress of being on this waitlist. Don't mind me!

Whoops - totally misread your post as "letter of interest" not "letter of intent". I blame the stress of being on this waitlist. Don't mind me!
No problem! Thanks for taking the time to respond. We need to support eachother in this time of need haha

How do we use UNE google calendar? The email address we have for UNE is Microsoft.

How do we use UNE google calendar? The email address we have for UNE is Microsoft.

So you don't use the Google calendar at all. The only Google things we use are sites.google.com and drive.google.com along with their word, excel, ppt, etc. suite.

For calendar and email you will only use Microsoft Office. Super confusing and weird and unfortunate for Google users, but that's how UNE systems work.