2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^^ That was exactly what I was trying to say but significantly more eloquently haha. Thank you for clearing my question up!!

Members don't see this ad.

Since we are all pre-screened in order to be able to be allowed the supplemental fee, are all applicants whom are allowed to pay the fee offered II? Is there a percentage that are?
Not everyone receives II. On their website they said 600+ people receive II. Not sure about percentage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we are all pre-screened in order to be able to be allowed the supplemental fee, are all applicants whom are allowed to pay the fee offered II? Is there a percentage that are?
^^^^ That was exactly what I was trying to say but significantly more eloquently haha. Thank you for clearing my question up!!
My take is the pre-screening is to make sure you meet the minimums, and if you do, then you pay the secondary. I think it is a way to save people who aren't even eligible from wasting their money. This is just my speculation. But I have heard of people paying the secondary and not being offered an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
My take is the pre-screening is to make sure you meet the minimums, and if you do, then you pay the secondary. I think it is a way to save people who aren't even eligible from wasting their money. This is just my speculation. But I have heard of people paying the secondary and not being offered an interview.

Yeah, UNECOM tends to be more selective in their screening process. A lot of schools will just go “minimum gpa/MCAT? Secondary.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey! I was accepted here and will most likely be attending. My husband is gonna be looking for jobs in the area (software development) so obviously we are looking at living more towards Portland. Any suggestions of neighborhoods/apartment complexes and where to look to find them? Also, what is it like commuting on a daily basis? Do you foresee any problems with the weather? I have never lived in the North so my number one concern is getting used to the cold :/

Hey! Congrats! :)
I'm living in Biddeford now because I am currently a student at UNE (not in COM). Portland you're looking at about 30 - 40 min commute, but it is do-able, a lot of professors live in Portland. It does snow a lot, and UNE is pretty good about cancelling when things are dangerous. But, if you canceled school every time it snowed in Maine, you would miss too many days. So sometimes if its just dusting, you will have to drive in it. The main roads are usually cleared off pretty quickly, and my biggest piece of advice to anybody coming to Maine is to INVEST IN GOOD SNOW TIRES. Even consider getting some studded ones. I can't stress enough what a huge difference it makes..

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I was accepted here and will most likely be attending. My husband is gonna be looking for jobs in the area (software development) so obviously we are looking at living more towards Portland. Any suggestions of neighborhoods/apartment complexes and where to look to find them? Also, what is it like commuting on a daily basis? Do you foresee any problems with the weather? I have never lived in the North so my number one concern is getting used to the cold :/
I'm living in Biddeford now because I am currently a student at UNE (not in COM). Portland you're looking at about 30 - 40 min commute, but it is do-able, a lot of professors live in Portland. It does snow a lot, and UNE is pretty good about cancelling when things are dangerous. But, if you canceled school every time it snowed in Maine, you would miss too many days. So sometimes if its just dusting, you will have to drive in it. The main roads are usually cleared off pretty quickly, and my biggest piece of advice to anybody coming to Maine is to INVEST IN GOOD SNOW TIRES. Even consider getting some studded ones. I can't stress enough what a huge difference it makes..

Another thing to consider is that UNE does have a shuttle from the Portland Campus to Biddeford campus with a stop at the I-95 Park n' ride along the way. Though in general, it is a great idea to get snow tires like already mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know whether you failed or passed a course? The grading not seem clear.

You're right it's not that clear. Basically, if you're getting NIs and above you'll pass. You'll have to wait till the end of the semester to know how exactly you did overall.

Another thing to consider is that UNE does have a shuttle from the Portland Campus to Biddeford campus with a stop at the I-95 Park n' ride along the way. Though in general, it is a great idea to get snow tires like already mentioned.

Congrats on the acceptance!

Hotpads, Zillow, and Trulia are good resources to start searching (that's what I used). Lots of new building developments have been happening.

If you look at Google Maps, Portland proper is the south part of Back Cove and most people live there, but north of the cove is a viable option. Most of the apartments are between East End and West End, with Commercial Street in the south, and Downtown in the middle being the 'tourist', most urban parts of town. Things are close enough that you can walk to your destination. I do know people who live in areas like Rosemont, and they have a more suburban feel. A bit of a longer walk to go somewhere. I recommend you try finding a place with a parking spot. Street parking is getting rarer as the city grows. Overnight parking is a growing commodity since in the winter time, the city forces you to move your car out of the streets in order for them to clean the snow. Parking complexes are short and small due to building codes so monthly parking in some places have a waiting list anywhere from 6 months to 2 years(!!).

You can also try South Portland around the airport but I don't know anyone who lives there, and they also give that more suburban feel.

Commuting is a 30-40 min drive each way with a relatively inexpensive toll on the I-95 each way (make sure you get an EZpass if you don't have one already). You get used to the commute and know when you have to leave. Traffic is usually not heavy, even during rush hour so the commute is consistent. A lot of us living in Portland carpool so I highly recommend you reach out to other Portlanders to do your own carpooling. You get a priority carpool spot from the school too. And it's nice to have the extra company during the commute. The shuttle is there, but I never use it because you still have to drive to the Portland campus and find a place to park. I heard the shuttle is not always timely and is schedule to arrive 10 minutes before classes start. It then leaves almost immediately after the end of class. To me driving your own car gives you so much more flexibility.

I know upstate NY snow which is on the more intense side, but haven't experienced Maine snow yet and the numbers I'm hearing are a little scary haha (one person told me 60 in. of snow total in one season, but I think the average is around 40 in.). I'm definitely getting snow tires like everyone suggested. I've also heard of single digit temperatures for weeks but winter weather clothing is understandably quite popular here. In reality, your day will probably be hopping from home to the car, driving in a hopefully warm car, jumping from the parking lot to class, and then walking a 3-4 min walk across buildings, then repeat going home. You're really not spending that much time outside on a regular basis, so the feeling of cold is thankfully temporary.

Interviewed 10/19. Accepted by email today. From Oklahoma. 502. 4.0. 300+ hours volunteering in the community and medical related volunteering that includes direct patient experience (triaging and so on), and working with the medically underserved. 250+ hours shadowing a plethora of specialties, with about 150 of those hours being with DOs. Medical scribe. High volume of ECs. 1 publication.

Last edited:
UNECOM Class of 2022 (Official) Facebook page is up now. Lots of current UNECOM students are on so come by and hi! :)

Accepted today! Super excited and was very impressed on interview day!
Interviewed 10/17
OOS, 504 MCAT, and 3.4 GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say, I was blown away by how awesome this school is. Good luck to everyone that was interviewing while I was. We would all be so lucky to receive an acceptance.

Just wanted to say, I was blown away by how awesome this school is. Good luck to everyone that was interviewing while I was. We would all be so lucky to receive an acceptance.
Last year this was the beginning of everyone being wait-listed (I would know I interviewed Nov 8). Curious to see if it's different this year.

Last year this was the beginning of everyone being wait-listed (I would know I interviewed Nov 8). Curious to see if it's different this year.
I interviewed November 2, fingers crossed I make that cutoff... :panda:

Can I ask why odd? I interview the 30th...!
It just didn't seem as conversational as described, every answer I gave just resulted in an okay or head nod, and my interviewer suggested shadowing a student or him in the omm lab and I have not been sure how to take that. Im likely overanalyzing tho.

EDIT: Now that I've had time to relax and actually think about my interview, I'd say it actually went fairly average, staff was nice, interviewers were nice and seemed interested in my answers (1 OMM professor and an OMSII). I think my expectation of a conversational interview is just different from reality. Although I still do not know what to think of them saying that I should come back and observe OMM classes and maybe shadow a student.

Last edited:
It just didn't seem as conversational as described, every answer I gave just resulted in an okay or head nod, and my interviewer suggested shadowing a student or him in the omm lab and I have not been sure how to take that. Im likely overanalyzing tho.

EDIT: Now that I've had time to relax and actually think about my interview, I'd say it actually went fairly average, staff was nice, interviewers were nice and seemed interested in my answers (1 OMM professor and an OMSII). I think my expectation of a conversational interview is just different from reality. Although I still do not know what to think of them saying that I should come back and observe OMM classes and maybe shadow a student.

Responses from my interviewers was about the same. They don’t seem to be quite as conversational as in years past.

Responses from my interviewers was about the same. They don’t seem to be quite as conversational as in years past.

This is such a bummer all in all. I interview excellent in conversational interviews and terrible in the blank ones where they just ask question back to back with no personality or interest in what you said. I had my first interview a few days ago and was so nervous but because it was conversational I ended up having no problem at all. Gah! Curious to see how this one goes.

This is such a bummer all in all. I interview excellent in conversational interviews and terrible in the blank ones where they just ask question back to back with no personality or interest in what you said. I had my first interview a few days ago and was so nervous but because it was conversational I ended up having no problem at all. Gah! Curious to see how this one goes.

Same.

I think it can go either way, depending on who is interviewing you. Just know that the whole panel is made up of really nice people, just all of them have a slightly different interview style. Mine was so laid back last week I honestly couldn't believe it....

I think it can go either way, depending on who is interviewing you. Just know that the whole panel is made up of really nice people, just all of them have a slightly different interview style. Mine was so laid back last week I honestly couldn't believe it....
I felt like my interviewer was about to crack open a beer and lean back in his chair

I interview the 30th as well! I hope they still have seats by then.
If history holds true I can't help but feel like it's a waitlist position but I also like to think they wouldn't interview this much continually if they didn't expect to have a good amount of movement. I will see you then! :D

I was accepted on 11/6, and I just sent my withdraw email. Hopeful someone will get my spot that really wishes to attend here. Good luck y'all!

Accepted. SUPER chill interview. Loved it. Talked about lobsters, crabs, and sharks.

Interview on Tuesday! Super excited about this one but nervous about all the recent reviews about interviewers being standoffish. Hopefully mine is conversational! Spending the weekend here to get a good sense of the area since it’s one of my favorites, if anyone has suggestions of what to see lemme know! All i know is I’m eating lots of lobster and clam chowder lol

Just looking at last year's thread, it seemed like almost everyone who interviewed in November got waitlisted....ugh I am so nervous!!

Interview on Tuesday! Super excited about this one but nervous about all the recent reviews about interviewers being standoffish. Hopefully mine is conversational! Spending the weekend here to get a good sense of the area since it’s one of my favorites, if anyone has suggestions of what to see lemme know! All i know is I’m eating lots of lobster and clam chowder lol

Ooohh where to start??

In Portland, there are a couple of places like Eventide, Pai Men Miyake, Ramen Suzukiya, Central Provisions, Duckfat, Drifters Wife, Piccolo, Chaval...

For lobster, Scarborough Fish & Lobster is so good. Little shack, outdoor seating only, but super cheap lobster that they pluck out of their tank as you come in. Hopefully they're still open for the season.

In Biddeford, I heard good things of the Palace Diner, and there are some places in Old Orchard Beach that look like typical diners, except for the homemade and super cheap seafood dishes.

Looking back I wouldn't say mine was standoffish but just more questions rather than the normal flow of a conversation, ( I was more nervous than I thought I was going to be so I was more critical and negative of everything) that being said my definition of a conversation might just have high hopes.

Ooohh where to start??

In Portland, there are a couple of places like Eventide, Pai Men Miyake, Ramen Suzukiya, Central Provisions, Duckfat, Drifters Wife, Piccolo, Chaval...

For lobster, Scarborough Fish & Lobster is so good. Little shack, outdoor seating only, but super cheap lobster that they pluck out of their tank as you come in. Hopefully they're still open for the season.

In Biddeford, I heard good things of the Palace Diner, and there are some places in Old Orchard Beach that look like typical diners, except for the homemade and super cheap seafood dishes.

Awesome!! Ate at Sea Salt Lobster and it was fantastic!

Looking back I wouldn't say mine was standoffish but just more questions rather than the normal flow of a conversation, ( I was more nervous than I thought I was going to be so I was more critical and negative of everything) that being said my definition of a conversation might just have high hopes.

Okay good to know!!

Does anyone know approximately how many are wait listed and how many end up getting off? This is my top choice and I saw that most people who interview in November get wait listed so just a bit worried :/

Does anyone know approximately how many are wait listed and how many end up getting off? This is my top choice and I saw that most people who interview in November get wait listed so just a bit worried :/

No exact numbers but UNECOM takes more people off the WL than most if not all other schools.

How does this housing work? Are we somehow supposed to find roommates?

How does this housing work? Are we somehow supposed to find roommates?

Off campus housing only, most people have roommates. The Facebook page is a very useful method for finding roommates and places.

Off campus housing only, most people have roommates. The Facebook page is a very useful method for finding roommates and places.

Any idea when the FB page picks up? No one has really posted on it yet.

Any idea when the FB page picks up? No one has really posted on it yet.

I think last year it started to pick up around Jan/Feb when more people were finalizing their actual school location and start to have specific questions looking for housing/roommates or preparing for the start of school. However, there's no reason to avoid posting now!

So this might sounds like a weird question but it’s snowing and I’ll be freezing in just my suit jacket so is it inappropriate to wear a heavier jacket over the suit when we go to interview? Maybe a scarf lol. Are there places to put warmer jackets if we can wear them?

So this might sounds like a weird question but it’s snowing and I’ll be freezing in just my suit jacket so is it inappropriate to wear a heavier jacket over the suit when we go to interview? Maybe a scarf lol. Are there places to put warmer jackets if we can wear them?

So there won’t be a place to store them, but there will be people at the tables where the applicants sit all day during your interview session. So you can store it on your chair.

I was going to screenshot my interview invite for a professor since I will be missing a class for my interview. I was so excited about the initial email that I didn't realize at the bottom it said if we wish to speak with a current student prior to your interview that we can email them and they will set us up with someone to speak with. My interview is in 2.5 weeks so I'm not sure if I'm cutting it a bit too short. Did anyone do this/find it beneficial? I know we talk to students while there but sounds need to do so prior as well.

I was going to screenshot my interview invite for a professor since I will be missing a class for my interview. I was so excited about the initial email that I didn't realize at the bottom it said if we wish to speak with a current student prior to your interview that we can email them and they will set us up with someone to speak with. My interview is in 2.5 weeks so I'm not sure if I'm cutting it a bit too short. Did anyone do this/find it beneficial? I know we talk to students while there but sounds need to do so prior as well.

I found it helpful. It gives you things to talk about in your interview.

Email admissions! They should be able to connect you with someone. I asked for an email connection when I was applying who ultimately became my 2nd year mentor so it's a great way to make a first connection. Most of us will be pretty honest with our answers too and we're not really involved in the admissions process.

You can also try PMing some of the current students here if you want or if admissions don't get back to you.

Email admissions! They should be able to connect you with someone. I asked for an email connection when I was applying who ultimately became my 2nd year mentor so it's a great way to make a first connection. Most of us will be pretty honest with our answers too and we're not really involved in the admissions process.

You can also try PMing some of the current students here if you want or if admissions don't get back to you.
I actually ended up e-mailing them just a few moments ago! Hopefully they get back fairly quick, they seem generally good with response time. What an awesome way to meet a mentor!

Does scheduling an individual tour of the campus increase chances of an II?