2017-2018 University of North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"We ask that you be thorough but try to keep each answer to 1600 characters or less (not including spaces)."

1) Residency History: List each permanent residence starting with your place of birth

2) The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Given the purpose of the school, please explain how you do or will fulfill this mission.

3) Describe your experience with life in a rural and/or Native American community.

4) What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school this year?

5) What are your career plans in the event that you don’t ever get admitted to medical school?

6) If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal and institutional infractions, etc.).

7) Please see “Residency Preferences” on the UND SMHS Admissions website. Describe your ties to the state of North Dakota or how you qualify for the other residency groups described there.

8) Are you an enrolled member of a U.S. federally recognized tribe? If yes, please describe your connection to this or other Native American communities. If no, you do not need to complete this question.

9) Are you currently enrolled in a grant-funded and/or degree-granting post-baccalaureate program? If so, what is your timeline for completion?

10) UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

Interview Feedback
University of North Dakota Interview Feedback
Interviewed at University of North Dakota? Please complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone get a secondary yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, came in here yesterday.
Thanks!

What are my chances as a OOS 501 3.6/3.4
Are you Native American? Are you from Wyoming/Montana/Minnesota? Do you have a connection to North Dakota?

If the answer to all 3 of those is "No," then your chances are basically 0.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you Native American? Are you from Wyoming/Montana/Minnesota? Do you have a connection to North Dakota?

If the answer to all 3 of those is "No," then your chances are basically 0.
no, no, my grandparents lived there.

no, no, my grandparents lived there.

From UND's Website:
We admit 78 medical students each year.
  • Seven students are part of our Indians Into Medicine Program.
  • The remaining 80% of our students are required to be from North Dakota.
  • Of the remaining 20%, 10% of our students are admitted from Minnesota while another 10% are admitted from participating WICHE states.
If you are not in one of those groups you have a 0% chance.

From UND's Website:
We admit 78 medical students each year.
  • Seven students are part of our Indians Into Medicine Program.
  • The remaining 80% of our students are required to be from North Dakota.
  • Of the remaining 20%, 10% of our students are admitted from Minnesota while another 10% are admitted from participating WICHE states.
If you are not in one of those groups you have a 0% chance.
They aren't required to be from North Dakota.

@esponda2018 build up the connection you have. Your chance really comes down to how much are connected to ND/rural health connection

They aren't required to be from North Dakota.

@esponda2018 build up the connection you have. Your chance really comes down to how much are connected to ND/rural health connection

Check the website! This is what constitutes ties to North Dakota:
  • Applicants who are, or will be at time of matriculation, a graduate of a North Dakota University, excluding on-line degrees. OR
  • Applicants who have a first-degree family member (mother, father, sibling, child, or spouse) who is a graduate of a North Dakota University, excluding on-line degrees.
Save your money if you do not qualify

Check the website! This is what constitutes ties to North Dakota:
  • Applicants who are, or will be at time of matriculation, a graduate of a North Dakota University, excluding on-line degrees. OR
  • Applicants who have a first-degree family member (mother, father, sibling, child, or spouse) who is a graduate of a North Dakota University, excluding on-line degrees.
Save your money if you do not qualify
I don't really need to check the website.
Again. You need TIES to North Dakota. Your initial post said FROM North Dakota. Fairly big difference there.

I don't really need to check the website.
Again. You need TIES to North Dakota. Your initial post said FROM North Dakota. Fairly big difference there.

You're right. UND's website is an unreliable source of information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna get into a strawman argument now. Have a nice life.

Good call. I don't know why UND worded those statistics that way because you are right: you don't need to be from ND. But to the OP, I would really think about how strong your ties are. I wanted to apply to this school for a long time, but ultimately decided to save my $38 because I just don't have strong enough ties to the region.

Secondary Questions @gyngyn

"We ask that you be thorough but try to keep each answer to 1600 characters or less (not including spaces)."

1) Residency History: List each permanent residence starting with your place of birth

2) The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Given the purpose of the school, please explain how you do or will fulfill this mission.

3) Describe your experience with life in a rural and/or Native American community.

4) What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school this year?

5) What are your career plans in the event that you don’t ever get admitted to medical school?

6) If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal and institutional infractions, etc.).

7) Please see “Residency Preferences” on the UND SMHS Admissions website. Describe your ties to the state of North Dakota or how you qualify for the other residency groups described there.

8) Are you an enrolled member of a U.S. federally recognized tribe? If yes, please describe your connection to this or other Native American communities. If no, you do not need to complete this question.

9) Are you currently enrolled in a grant-funded and/or degree-granting post-baccalaureate program? If so, what is your timeline for completion?

10) UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

Anyone get interview notification yet for 2017 - 2018 cycle?

Anyone get interview notification yet for 2017 - 2018 cycle?

Per the UND website: (Application Process - Important Dates and Deadlines)
  • August: The Admissions Committee begins to review completed applications. Qualified North Dakota residents who are first-time applicants are offered interviews on a rolling basis (through November).
  • September: Completed applications are reviewed and interview invitations are sent to all qualified applicants on a rolling basis (through November).
  • December 1: Review of applications completed and final interviews scheduled. Interviews begin on select weekends. Acceptances sent to select North Dakota first-time applicants (through January).
  • January: Interviews continue on select weekends. Interviews completed in late January, and all applicants notified of admissions decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Rejected. Strong ties (but not residency) to ND. Good luck to y'all.

I know they've sent out interview invites for non-EDP applicants, but has anyone that applied Early Decision received their invitation?

Any OOS get a complete email? Also any MN get rejected?

Any OOS get a complete email? Also any MN get rejected?
I received a "your app is complete email" within 2 weeks (i think 10-11 days) of submitting but that has been all since 8/24

Last edited:
Is there any point in applying here if I'm from MN, but have no interest/reason/demonstrated commitment to working in ND? I thought being an MN resident was enough, but their first question is asking about how you fulfill their mission of serving the people of ND.

Is there any point in applying here if I'm from MN, but have no interest/reason/demonstrated commitment to working in ND? I thought being an MN resident was enough, but their first question is asking about how you fulfill their mission of serving the people of ND.
Unless you have strong family ties to ND, you went to school there, you spent a significant amount of time living or serving in the military there, you can show a strong commitment to rural health, or you're Native American, then probably not.

Unless you have strong family ties to ND, you went to school there, you spent a significant amount of time in the military there, you can show a strong commitment to rural health, or you're Native American, then probably not.

So why do they specifically cite MN residents as someone who meets their residency standards, with no distinction of having ties to ND, if they ultimately want someone who will serve ND? Seems strange to me as they could just as easily cite SD residents that are tied to ND somehow, or any of the other surrounding states.

So why do they specifically cite MN residents as someone who meets their residency standards, with no distinction of having ties to ND, if they ultimately want someone who will serve ND? Seems strange to me as they could just as easily cite SD residents that are tied to ND somehow, or any of the other surrounding states.
There is a MN/WICHE list. The Minnesota residents they are looking for are more those from/connected to the northwest part of the state (aka the Red River Valley).

MN Resident. Received Secondary. Sent back 20 July. Nothing else as yet. Fingers crossed.

II received this morning! First one of the cycle so this is pretty special. WICHE OOS resident with significant ties to rural areas. LET'S GOOOOOO

Just rejected. 512 MCAT, 4.0gpa, Montana resident with rural ties. Good luck to everyone applying here!

Anyone know how often they send out interview invites?

Received secondary like a week after verified, just waiting for IIs XC
Got a cool email about their "INMED" program for Native students- anyone know anything about this?

Received secondary like a week after verified, just waiting for IIs XC
Got a cool email about their "INMED" program for Native students- anyone know anything about this?

Are you a member of a federally recognized tribe? If you are, the INMED program has an additional application (and an additional LOR requirement, on top of submitting other required documents for the program).

Last edited:
Are you a member of a federally recognized tribe? If you are, the INMED program has an additional application (and an additional LOR requirement, on top of submitting other required documents for the program).

So I have ties to two tribes that are closely related- I have paperwork for the NON federally recognized tribe and no paperwork for the recognized tribe but family tree information (was in the process of getting registered but obv wont happen by the INMED deadline) - so I would still LOVE to be considered for their program, but we'll see what they say once I explain this convoluted heritage to them XC

UND doesn't publish their interview to acceptance stats, so not sure that would be the case.

This was a pre-interview rejection. 512 4.0 MT resident didn't even get an interview at a school that gives MT WICHE applicants preference? This was either a "this dude is a shoo-in for the WWAMI program, so why bother interviewing," or there is a major red flag in his application. Based on stats alone, a pre-II rejection in this situation by this school makes no sense.

I was also rejected pre-interview in September. Based on my stats, ND residency, and advanced biology degrees, I was surprised. Hoping this doesn't mean I have red flags I am unaware of, but UND told me they will give application feedback over the phone starting in "late winter." I will be calling for my feedback.

Edit: Should say that I was surprised that I didn't at least get an interview at my state school with good stats. I don't think I'm "God's gift to medicine" or anything, but I felt reasonably confident in my application until the UND rejection.

I was also rejected pre-interview in September. Based on my stats, ND residency, and advanced biology degrees, I was surprised. Hoping this doesn't mean I have red flags I am unaware of, but UND told me they will give application feedback over the phone starting in "late winter." I will be calling for my feedback.

Edit: Should say that I was surprised that I didn't at least get an interview at my state school with good stats. I don't think I'm "God's gift to medicine" or anything, but I felt reasonably confident in my application until the UND rejection.

Have you gotten other interview invites yet this cycle?

Have you gotten other interview invites yet this cycle?
Nope, so I'm probably not as strong of an applicant as I had hoped (but trying not to get completely discouraged yet). Everything else is out of state, though. I'm non-traditional and first time applicant. If I don't get in this cycle I'll try to address all of my weaknesses before reapplying.

This was a pre-interview rejection. 512 4.0 MT resident didn't even get an interview at a school that gives MT WICHE applicants preference? This was either a "this dude is a shoo-in for the WWAMI program, so why bother interviewing," or there is a major red flag in his application. Based on stats alone, a pre-II rejection in this situation by this school makes no sense.

Fair enough. I've been reading too much about the percentages of post-interview acceptances at schools that I've blinded myself :p

Saying WICHE is a "preference" is a bit of a stretch...yes it is on the list, but historically they don't go that far down on the list as they are able to fill with the top couple of bullet points (i.e. ND res., ND grad, Western MN resident, etc.). I wouldn't be shocked if there have been enough application from individuals with "stronger" preferences that they aren't venturing into the WICHE portion of the list.

Saying WICHE is a "preference" is a bit of a stretch...yes it is on the list, but historically they don't go that far down on the list as they are able to fill with the top couple of bullet points (i.e. ND res., ND grad, Western MN resident, etc.). I wouldn't be shocked if there have been enough application from individuals with "stronger" preferences that they aren't venturing into the WICHE portion of the list.
What are you talking about? WICHE, like INMED, has a reserved number of spots completely independent of the ND portion of the applicant pool

What are you talking about? WICHE, like INMED, has a reserved number of spots completely independent of the ND portion of the applicant pool

I had been told that back on an tour, albeit an undergrad tour led by someone who happened to be pre-med. Is the quota a recent change? do you happen to know what the quotas are? My apologies if I was mistaken.

So I have ties to two tribes that are closely related- I have paperwork for the NON federally recognized tribe and no paperwork for the recognized tribe but family tree information (was in the process of getting registered but obv wont happen by the INMED deadline) - so I would still LOVE to be considered for their program, but we'll see what they say once I explain this convoluted heritage to them XC

Good Luck! I would recommend contacting the INMED office and explaining your situation to them. They are nice!

I am both Alaskan Native (and a member of a federally recognized tribe) and American Indian (and in that case in a similar boat as you with not being recognized, but having family tree information, etc.). I never really pursued making my American Indian heritage documented on paper, since my other heritage already is. Maybe someday I will...

I hope it works out for you.

Good Luck! I would recommend contacting the INMED office and explaining your situation to them. They are nice!

I am both Alaskan Native (and a member of a federally recognized tribe) and American Indian (and in that case in a similar boat as you with not being recognized, but having family tree information, etc.). I never really pursued making my American Indian heritage documented on paper, since my other heritage already is. Maybe someday I will...

I hope it works out for you.

Yea I definitely will try, it would be amazing to go to school here so I'm just sort of trying to figure out how to word the dilemma but I'm still hopeful they will consider me for INMED.

Yea I definitely will try, it would be amazing to go to school here so I'm just sort of trying to figure out how to word the dilemma but I'm still hopeful they will consider me for INMED.

They will not consider you for INMED without the appropriate paperwork. No official member of a federally recognized tribe, no consideration for INMED. Period.

Has anyone not with the early acceptance program gotten an interview yet?