2017-2018 University of Pikeville - Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there are simulation labs at pikeville, and if there is early clinical experience programs during our first two years? Also any information about residency options, and hospital options for rotations would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there are simulation labs at pikeville, and if there is early clinical experience programs during our first two years? Also any information about residency options, and hospital options for rotations would be much appreciated
There’s a sim lab, it isn’t used. Very little clinical experience the first 2 years.
Residency options? Same as any school?
Most clinicals are in Kentucky. There’s some sites as far as Michigan or Alabama. Google Kycom rotations and you should find an old manual.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a sim lab, it isn’t used. Very little clinical experience the first 2 years.
Residency options? Same as any school?
Most clinicals are in Kentucky. There’s some sites as far as Michigan or Alabama. Google Kycom rotations and you should find an old manual.
Are you a student at KYCOM? Could you tell me a little bit about it, Maybe some of the things you like/don't like like about the school? I want to know more about it, but theres not too much info available on KYCOM's website.

Are you a student at KYCOM? Could you tell me a little bit about it, Maybe some of the things you like/don't like like about the school? I want to know more about it, but theres not too much info available on KYCOM's website.
I’m a 3rd year. In general it’s a pretty typical medical school experience I think. We had a class that worked really well together and I appreciated that. The fact that they don’t do a ranking system fosters an environment of community instead of competition.
I like my rotation site. Some people don’t. It’s hit and miss. Listen to the class above you about the sites.
I really disliked the 4 hour OMM classes. It was a long period in one room.

I have been complete since october and have made calls to Ronnie asking for any updates on my status, but I've always been left on voicemail. is there a certain time in which to call him? and if all else fails, is there another number I can call for that info besides him? thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes you feel any better, I'm experiencing the same thing. I've been complete since October and no one will respond to emails or phone calls. I heard that the school just sends mass rejections at the end of the cycle if you do not receive an invite before then.

Sorry to anyone waiting on an interview invite. I recently figured out I was going elsewhere and decided to cancel my interview. Hopefully one of you people gets the spot instead. Best of luck! I am always open to questions if I can help.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do we get that call on thursday or on friday?
It will depend when they meet to officially discuss the interviews. Give it some time, relax, play a board game, but don’t stress!

did you guys send a thank you email letter to your interviewers?

did you guys send a thank you email letter to your interviewers?
I did not last year, to any of my interviews. But it if you want, or feel you need to, it would probably be appreciated.

Has anyone who interviewed earlier this month heard anything today?

For those of you who interviewed on Jan 19/20, do y'all know when we hear back? Was it today?

I think the real question is, has anyone gotten a rejection/waitlist email yet. Hopefully their just running late with our phone calls!

I think the real question is, has anyone gotten a rejection/waitlist email yet. Hopefully their just running late with our phone calls!

True true, I've been checking my phone all day :/

For what it’s worth guys, slow your roll. We are coming into block (testing week) and stuff is a bit hectic, professors are busy fielding pre-block questions and doing reviews and stuff so just be patient. I’m sure you will get phone calls soon if you interviewed last week. If you interviewed before last week I’d guess you didn’t make it because they tend to notify acceptance within 10 days.

I’m a 3rd year. In general it’s a pretty typical medical school experience I think. We had a class that worked really well together and I appreciated that. The fact that they don’t do a ranking system fosters an environment of community instead of competition.
I like my rotation site. Some people don’t. It’s hit and miss. Listen to the class above you about the sites.
I really disliked the 4 hour OMM classes. It was a long period in one room.

Is there much volunteering opportunities? What volunteering opportunities are available?

For what it’s worth guys, slow your roll. We are coming into block (testing week) and stuff is a bit hectic, professors are busy fielding pre-block questions and doing reviews and stuff so just be patient. I’m sure you will get phone calls soon if you interviewed last week. If you interviewed before last week I’d guess you didn’t make it because they tend to notify acceptance within 10 days.

Do you think rejection/waitlist emails and acceptance phone calls will all start going out on Monday? Or did rejection emails already go out on Friday?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the amount of research available at KYCOM. When I was at the interview I had a million thoughts going through my head and completely forgot to ask. Many of the tour guides on my interviews told me it was important to get research in order to be competitive for residencies.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the amount of research available at KYCOM. When I was at the interview I had a million thoughts going through my head and completely forgot to ask. Many of the tour guides on my interviews told me it was important to get research in order to be competitive for residencies.
Depends on the specialty.
There’s limited research opportunities available here, but if you seek them out you’ll find them.

Just received my acceptance call! Looks like they're going out today!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today as well, congrats everyone!

Not to sound uncommitted, but do any KYCOM students know if there are rotations that will get me near Chicago during my 3rd and 4th years?

Does anyone who's been accepted know when we should receive the actual email?

Not to sound uncommitted, but do any KYCOM students know if there are rotations that will get me near Chicago during my 3rd and 4th years?

The closest you’ll get is probably a site in Michigan around the Detroit area if those sites remain in use.

Like someone else said Michigan is your closest. Otherwise there’s nothing in that general vicinity.
The next I could think of would be Henderson KY And that’s 5 and 1/2 hours.

This has been answered now, but keep in mind that 3rd year is pretty much given to you with little option, but 4th year can be anywhere you want. You can do them in Chicago if you have the connections amd are willing to put in the footwork to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the info guys. I Just want to try to be a little closer to my girlfriend.

There is also a research club that fosters research opportunities. They host info sessions each year about ongoing research opportunities and you are also encouraged to seek out your own opportunities that you can participate over the summer etc. if you know someone from our hometown if you aren’t from Pikeville.

Is there much volunteering opportunities? What volunteering opportunities are available?
There are a ton of volunteer opportunities and you are highly encouraged to do what you can for the community as they directly benefit. There are many clubs who participate in different activities ranging from volunteering at the hospital to the local animal shelter. If you want more specific info you can message me and I’ll answer any questions you have :)

I’ve used the Sims twice and I’m in my 2nd semester. We also just got a new Sim mother/baby and they hired a person specifically for the sims so I feel they will be utilizing them more. They are also used in the clubs-we practiced IVs and a chest tubes last semester. We also just got a new ultrasound machine and will be learning about that this semester as well. They aren’t really needed though as you will start getting standardized patients beginning you first smester.

I was accepted here back in October. I am dropping my seat due to an acceptance somewhere else, I hope it goes to one of you!!! Good luck everyone!

Anyone who interviewed on February 9/10 the get a call yet?

Got the call a few min ago. First acceptance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they screen secondaries for MCAT scores before Interview invites. Just want to know before I spend money submitting only to be rejected. Has anyone gotten an II with MCAT 495-499.

Does anyone know if they screen secondaries for MCAT scores before Interview invites. Just want to know before I spend money submitting only to be rejected. Has anyone gotten an II with MCAT 495-499.
They do screen secondaries, that I know for sure. As for the MCAT score I’m not sure what this group has been interviewing with but I do know that if you are below a 500 you need to make sure you have other attributes that will make you stand out (research, mission trips, long work history, etc. not all of these obviously but you get what I mean). This school really does look at the whole person and understands that there is no correlation between the MCAT and how you will do in school and on your boards so don’t let that deter you. I will say that with it being so late in the cycle, if you do submit and get to interview it may end up being a waitlist spot but that is true of every school at this point.

I had under a 500 MCAT and got accepted here, although I had an above average GPA and other strong attributes to help me out.

Can someone tell me what type of interview they do? Like is it open vs. partial blind vs. closed and MMI vs. traditional?

Traditional and open file. Very laid back. 2 interviewers per 1 student. No MMO, no group interview