2017-2018 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, it's quiet in here...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Secondary Recieved!

To other applicants, USA really puts effort into state residents.

What constitutes ties to the state? I know I have some ties but I don't know if they're significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paper Secondary received, how very quaint.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my secondary today, too! Now I kind of wish I had pre-written some, because I also got two others today, and one yesterday. But I didn't want to waste time pre-writing if the prompts changed for this year.

Secondary Recieved!

What constitutes ties to the state? I know I have some ties but I don't know if they're significant.

I would think significant ties would be stuff like "went to UG in Alabama" or "have close family living in Alabama" or "own vacation property in Alabama." But not stuff like "I started following Alabama football when Coach Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa" or "I pass through Alabama and spend the night in Birmingham often on my way from Louisiana to South Carolina." Basically, I think it's going to be a judgment call, but the closer the ties, the better.

Secondary Recieved!

Local support system (Family, SI, ect.), years spent in-state, direct connection to school via faculty. It would be easier if we knew what you think your ties are, but you're correct about their strong IS preference (only interviewed ~1.4% of OOS applicants last year).

I was born in state and lived there for a decade. One of my parents still resides in the area, as does a good portion of my family.

Local support system (Family, SI, ect.), years spent in-state, direct connection to school via faculty. It would be easier if we knew what you think your ties are, but you're correct about their strong IS preference (only interviewed ~1.4% of OOS applicants last year).

I was born in state and lived there for a decade. One of my parents still resides in the area, as does a good portion of my family.

I'd consider that pretty significant, assuming that by "in the area" you mean in Alabama, not neighboring states.

Technically, it's Escambia county but I believe USA considers this in state; I was born in Alabama.

I'd consider that pretty significant, assuming that by "in the area" you mean in Alabama, not neighboring states.

Technically, it's Escambia county but I believe USA considers this in state; I was born in Alabama.

Escambia County, FL is (I'm almost positive) considered in-state at South, at least for undergrad. I'd assume it's the same for the medical school. So, you're golden!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received an email notification stating that their secondary application was received? I mailed mine on the 10th and I haven't heard anything. The check also has not been cashed.

Has anyone received an email notification stating that their secondary application was received? I mailed mine on the 10th and I haven't heard anything. The check also has not been cashed.
I got an email yesterday that said, "Your secondary application has been received by our office and is under review. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email approximately 2-3 weeks prior to your interview date. All of our interviews are conducted on Wednesdays, October through March."

I got the secondary 7/17 and sent it in the mail a few days later.

Edit: Check still not cashed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I hand-delivered my secondary on the 20th. Check not cashed yet, but I got the "file complete" e-mail yesterday.

Secondary Recieved!

Can any out of state applicants post the prompt/word limit for the essay about connections to Alabama?

@Sonny Ortiz "If such ties to Alabama exist, please include a brief explanation on a separate sheet." There is no limit mentioned.

would having family residing in Alabama give me a shot at all? OOS (from northeast), 3.8/3.8/506.

My guess would be that it depends on how close the family is (mother vs. third cousin), and how much time you've spent in Alabama yourself. The school's goal is to make sure they're educating doctors who will take care of Alabama's patients, so you need to demonstrate a likeliness to settle here.

Not much activity with South Alabama. Anyone receive II yet or hear anything from them at all?

I've heard that they don't really start looking at regular decision applications until after they have their ED people squared away. So I don't expect to start hearing about II from South until later this month. Either that, or they just don't like us. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
II today! Only offered one interview date, Oct. 11th.

II today for me as well! I was also only offered one date, Oct. 11th. IS, complete 7/20.

Does anyone know if South Alabama allows for update letters to be sent? There are several other schools I applied to that ask only one update letter be sent during the application cycle. I checked South's website but do not see anything about it.

Does anyone know if South Alabama allows for update letters to be sent? There are several other schools I applied to that ask only one update letter be sent during the application cycle. I checked South's website but do not see anything about it.
What the official policy is, I could not say; I do know that I did send them an update letter and they seemed pleased to receive it.

Last edited:
South is quite it seems. Anyone heard anything recently?

South is quite it seems. Anyone heard anything recently?
They are giving their first acceptances for regular decision starting next week. They have not made any regular acceptances yet.

I have an interview here on the 15th...has anyone thats already interviewed have any advice on places to stay?

I have an interview here on the 15th...has anyone thats already interviewed have any advice on places to stay?

Congratulations! I haven't interviewed there but lived Mobile for a really long time. The Homewood Suites (530 Providence Park Dr E, Mobile, AL 36695) and Hampton Inn by Providence Hospital are in a good spot, good area, and are really nice. Really close to South Alabama and you can walk to a couple of restaurants (Friday's and Bone Fish Grill). I have had family stay at the Homewood Suites and they really liked it. I would avoid staying anywhere off the Interstate. Right now it looks like you will spend about $87 a night at the Homewood Suites. Whereever you stay make sure you give yourself plenty of time to drive to South, the traffic on Airport Blvd. can become really insane sometimes. Are you interviewing in the College of Medicine building or the Central Services Admn Building? I visited there before and Google Maps had the pin in the wrong location for the medical admissions office. Make sure to do a pre-drive the day before. South's campus can be really confusing sometimes.

If you want to stay for a bit and see downtown the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel downtown (64 S Water St, Mobile, AL 36602) is super nice. My wife and I stayed there after we got married before going on a cruise (about $120 a night I think). It overlooks the bay and the rooms have a lot of windows.

I have been accepted to another medical school but really want to interview at South Alabama. I have to accept or deny the other medical school by December and there is a huge non-refundable deposit for them due at that time. I hope I hear about an interview or rejection from South before then so I could make an easier choice but I hear they interview all the way out to March or April.

Congratulations! I haven't interviewed there but lived Mobile for a really long time. The Homewood Suites (530 Providence Park Dr E, Mobile, AL 36695) and Hampton Inn by Providence Hospital are in a good spot, good area, and are really nice. Really close to South Alabama and you can walk to a couple of restaurants (Friday's and Bone Fish Grill). I have had family stay at the Homewood Suites and they really liked it. I would avoid staying anywhere off the Interstate. Right now it looks like you will spend about $87 a night at the Homewood Suites. Whereever you stay make sure you give yourself plenty of time to drive to South, the traffic on Airport Blvd. can become really insane sometimes. Are you interviewing in the College of Medicine building or the Central Services Admn Building? I visited there before and Google Maps had the pin in the wrong location for the medical admissions office. Make sure to do a pre-drive the day before. South's campus can be really confusing sometimes.

If you want to stay for a bit and see downtown the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel downtown (64 S Water St, Mobile, AL 36602) is super nice. My wife and I stayed there after we got married before going on a cruise (about $120 a night I think). It overlooks the bay and the rooms have a lot of windows.

I have been accepted to another medical school but really want to interview at South Alabama. I have to accept or deny the other medical school by December and there is a huge non-refundable deposit for them due at that time. I hope I hear about an interview or rejection from South before then so I could make an easier choice but I hear they interview all the way out to March or April.

OH MY! I have that same issue. I have an acceptance but the deposit is HUGE and must be paid by December 1st. I am guessing I probably wont hear back from south before then since my interview is just two weeks before. Now that you have informed on how far out the interview, I am almost certain I wont know before December. I will definitely look at the homewood suites. I am trying to go as cheap but nice as possible. I have two other interviews this month so I am running on low funds.

I have not sent my secondary to South Alabama yet. I see that December 1st is the deadline. It seems that I have to mail it. Is there an online option? If not, is Dec.1 the postmark date or the secondary must be received by Dec. 1? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have not sent my secondary to South Alabama yet. I see that December 1st is the deadline. It seems that I have to mail it. Is there an online option? If not, is Dec.1 the postmark date or the secondary must be received by Dec. 1? Thanks.
There is not an online option. I will try to send it in as quickly as possible. Earlier is always better than cutting it close.

There is not an online option. I will try to send it in as quickly as possible. Earlier is always better than cutting it close.
Thanks. I was hoping to hear from UAB's decision before Dec. 1.

The 1st interview group is supposed to hear back in "Mid-November". As nebulous as that is, I suspect (hope) it should be sometime this week. I'll post as soon as I know.

The 1st interview group is supposed to hear back in "Mid-November". As nebulous as that is, I suspect (hope) it should be sometime this week. I'll post as soon as I know.
I still haven't heard yet. I interviewed first group. I hope it is soon. I'm excited to hear.

I heard from a friend who called to inquire about the timeline that it’s looking like it will be more like next week/first week of December. :bang:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today via snail mail! No e-mail was sent.

Accepted today via snail mail! No e-mail was sent.

Holy crap! Me, too! This is the best day ever!!!

Edited to add: I only checked the mail because of your post, by the way. Haha!

I was also accepted via snail mail :) Interviewed 10/25, IS

I was also accepted via snail mail. What are y'all writing for your written acceptance?

I was also accepted via snail mail. What are y'all writing for your written acceptance?

“I accept the offer of admission. Thanks, ADSigMel”

I don’t think there any magic to it - just let ‘em know you’re still interested.

Has anyone gotten any II's from South recently? I just got my 2° submitted in late October, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I sent my secondary in early October and have not heard anything back yet either

I submitted my secondary in early October too and haven't heard anything. They also took almost a month to cash my check

They also took almost a month to cash my check

Good insight! Mine was just cashed on 12/1. Who would have thought that the paper processing method would actually give us more feedback on their review process?

Hey guys. First I want to say congrats to everyone that’s been accepted so far! I’m excited for y’all! I was wondering g if I could get some feedback from everyone. I interviewed November 15th! I have a 3.8 gpa 511 mcat and I’m a college athlete. I also have a bunch or other ECs. They put me on hold which I was expecting. I hear the geniuses get in immediately but eventually they start lowering the bar. I was wondering if anyone knew when they lower that bar? I’m hoping soon. South is literally 40 minutes from me and I’m dying to hear from them! Any advice or two cents would be amazing! Thank y’all and I hope to see all of you next year!
I vaguely recall them mentioning an adjustment around the new year, but don't quote me.