2017-2018 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an E-mail today requesting I fill out a form that explained my ties to South Carolina. Anybody else get this? They said once it was processed I would be given their decision on a secondary. Weird since I already received a secondary from their satellite campus, USC-Greenville.....

I got an E-mail today requesting I fill out a form that explained my ties to South Carolina. Anybody else get this? They said once it was processed I would be given their decision on a secondary. Weird since I already received a secondary from their satellite campus, USC-Greenville.....
For some reason, and if I'm wrong someone correct me, when I looked into applying here I remember reading that they look for OOS applicants with strong IS ties and/or are a heavy in state school which is why I shy'd away from applying here.

For some reason this doesn't seem to be a big deal for Greenville.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got this email as well. Still have yet to receive a secondary from USC-Greenville.

I got the secondary OOS applicant, but I do go there for undergraduate. not sure whether or not that is a strong IS tie.

What direction did people go with the question on "medical practice goals"? I went into depth about how I want to practice medicine (with empathy, etc.) Or is it mainly asking what type of setting we'd want to work in (private practice, hospital, etc)?

Just received a rejection pre-MCAT score reception and secondary.

Was also rejected OOS after I sent my ties to the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who submitted the secondary application receive a complete email of any kind?

**Edit** Received an email today that my secondary application was received and that I am now under review! USC - Columbia is my first choice, and I'm hoping to get some Gamecock love!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the admissions decisions everyone! USC-Columbia is kind of like MUSC and has a heavy focus on in-staters :[

What direction did people go with the question on "medical practice goals"? I went into depth about how I want to practice medicine (with empathy, etc.) Or is it mainly asking what type of setting we'd want to work in (private practice, hospital, etc)?

For this, I talked briefly about how I want to provide for patients and then what setting I'd think I want to work in because it plays to my strengths (example: an academic hospital b/c I have a strong research background)

Sorry to hear about the admissions decisions everyone! USC-Columbia is kind of like MUSC and has a heavy focus on in-staters :[

For this, I talked briefly about how I want to provide for patients and then what setting I'd think I want to work in because it plays to my strengths (example: an academic hospital b/c I have a strong research background)
In a different approach, I briefly mentioned the setting I wanted to practice in and my career goals as a physician. All of my essays except my diversity essay varied between 490 and 1100 characters. The diversity one was nearly 2000.

can someone post the prompts for the secondary?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friends, submitted ties to state a couple weeks ago, have yet to hear back. Should I assume rejection based on this or expect an official email?

Just got an interview invite here!!!! Stats are below. I'm OOS, but this is my undergraduate university.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview Invite!! IS submitted early July. Complete July 25 With LOR. 3.6/512.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite this morning too! IS complete on 7/24. 3.95/515. So excited since this is my first one!!

Reactions: 1 users
II this afternoon! OOS, but I went to USC-Columbia as an undergraduate!! Was not expecting an early invite, so keep your eyes open!

What day is everyone interviewing who has received an invite?

Here are the prompts (all text boxes have 2000 character limit):

Do you have any relatives who graduated from USC School of Medicine-Columbia? (yes or no)
-If so, please list any relatives who graduated from USC School of Medicine-Columbia, year of graduation (if known), and their relationship to you.

What are your medical practice goals?

Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career.

If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).

In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?

What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?

Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?​

Good luck everyone!

II! First one! IS LizzyM: 66

Not sure when I was complete, but I submitted the secondary on ~8/8. I am beyond excited!

One of my friends got a II without even completing the secondary! Anyone else have similar experiences?

One of my friends got a II without even completing the secondary! Anyone else have similar experiences?
What experience do they have with USCSOM? They have some summer programs/internships.

What experience do they have with USCSOM? They have some summer programs/internships.
They have experience with USCSOM-Greenville, but not Columbia. They are OS.

Many people automatically matriculate to USCSOM and Greenville through the USC Honor's College. They have a program that grants automatics acceptance into med school after 3 years of undergrad (it might be 4 though).

Many people automatically matriculate to USCSOM and Greenville through the USC Honor's College. They have a program that grants automatics acceptance into med school after 3 years of undergrad (it might be 4 though).

My understanding is that EAP is for Greenville and it requires a secondary (basically the application form since there are a bunch of essay questions) and participation in Greenville's MMI process. More info for USC. These acceptances have already gone out and are binding. I completed an internship with a student from Clemson (which also participates in Greenville's EAP) that received one over the summer. Furman also participates in Greenville's EAP. I don't believe these are automatic, but rather they happen earlier (hence the name) and, as a result, have to bypass AMCAS' deadlines/application cycle. There is still a lot of work for applicants to do since it's not a BS/MD program.

The only reason I can imagine someone receives an interview without a secondary is if your personal statement already addresses the secondary prompts or if Dr. Thornhill knows you (perhaps through post-bac work at USCSOM or participation in internships etc.)

Either way, congrats to waj11's friend--one less secondary is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
Update:

My first II! For October 11.
Catcher: haven't even submitted the secondary yet. Email says secondary needs to be in by Oct 4.

Any one else with similar experiences?

Update:

My first II! For October 11.
Catcher: haven't even submitted the secondary yet. Email says secondary needs to be in by Oct 4.

Any one else with similar experiences?
I was about to post the same thing. I have my interview on the same date and I haven't submitted the secondary yet lol. Hoping it's a good sign for us! OOS LizzyM of 68

I was about to post the same thing. I have my interview on the same date and I haven't submitted the secondary yet lol. Hoping it's a good sign for us! OOS LizzyM of 68

I can only see it as a good sign! Congrats :)

About how long did it take y'all to receive a complete email after submitting the secondary? I submitted both Greenville and Columbia on the same day, have received a complete email from Greenville and nothing from Columbia. It has been a few weeks now so getting worried!

About how long did it take y'all to receive a complete email after submitting the secondary? I submitted both Greenville and Columbia on the same day, have received a complete email from Greenville and nothing from Columbia. It has been a few weeks now so getting worried!
I just looked through my email and didn't see a complete email from them either. I have gotten an II though and it just said to make sure all supplemental materials were submitted by the week before the interview date.

II!! never got a complete email but I submitted the secondary on 8/21

I just had my interview on Wednesday and I just want to let everyone know that the admissions committee is super nice and accommodating. Both of my interviews were pretty casual with typical questions. They really just want to get to know you. Don't worry too much!

Good luck to everyone!!

I just had my interview on Wednesday and I just want to let everyone know that the admissions committee is super nice and accommodating. Both of my interviews were pretty casual with typical questions. They really just want to get to know you. Don't worry too much!

Good luck to everyone!!
Did you receive a "it was great meeting you" postcard in the mail? I got one today.