2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im just here hoping the waitlist starts moving :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
From what I'm reading on last years threads, financial aid info generally comes after the April 30 deadline

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
:headphone: Anybody from the end of Feb. interview groups hear anything, yet? :xf::luck:

So close to Second Look dates, etc. the suspense is tough to bear, it's exciting but nerve-wracking, too. Thanks for the encouragement; in retrospect, I'm realizing exactly what a smart decision it can be to apply ED, as long as it goes your way! JeremyClarkson, I'm happy for you!

I think today and next Monday are the last interview dates(for CORE at least) so hopefully you guys start hearing good news soon! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think today and next Monday are the last interview dates(for CORE at least) so hopefully you guys start hearing good news soon! :)
I'm interviewing for core on 4/3 so that might be the last interview date. She said it was the only date available when I got the call.

Members don't see this ad :)
For accepted students what are y'all doing for the laptop requirements? Is it not possible to go around this by using a computer at a school library or something?

For accepted students what are y'all doing for the laptop requirements? Is it not possible to go around this by using a computer at a school library or something?
Wild guess here, but I think the requirements are like that because the exam software requires it (and presumably we have to be sitting in the lecture halls for exams).

Kinda bummed that I can’t get a 13” MacBook :/

Wild guess here, but I think the requirements are like that because the exam software requires it (and presumably we have to be sitting in the lecture halls for exams).

Kinda bummed that I can’t get a 13” MacBook :/

+1

Can confirm- I've seen M1s taking exams in lecture halls with their laptops....its prob best to follow their guidelines when buying the laptop so they can't blame you if something goes wrong with one of your exams (kinda paranoid about electronic exams....)

I just bought a new Macbook 2 years ago...looks like Ima have to get another one :/

I would try to talk to current student if I were you guys... I've seen a lot of MCOM students with macbook airs and MBP 13. I know some of you guys have called them before to ask but that just doesn't seem logical to require 15" laptops. Those things are huge. And the processor is the main issue for software, not the screen size.

I would try to talk to current student if I were you guys... I've seen a lot of MCOM students with macbook airs and MBP 13. I know some of you guys have called them before to ask but that just doesn't seem logical to require 15" laptops. Those things are huge. And the processor is the main issue for software, not the screen size.
I saw one a previous class's page an announcement that said they were going to be stricter with incoming classes on technical standards.

While I agree it's kind of obnoxious, imo I rather just get the right requirements than have to try and fix that problem during the craziness of the start of the year.

But are the “requirements” unclear? It seemed like people were getting different answers. It would be frustrating to buy one expensive thing and find out you could’ve bought the one you wanted. (note: I’m still only an applicant, but I’ve been following the conversation)

I saw one a previous class's page an announcement that said they were going to be stricter with incoming classes on technical standards.

While I agree it's kind of obnoxious, imo I rather just get the right requirements than have to try and fix that problem during the craziness of the start of the year.

Have you been accepted yet? I'm waitlisted but I wanna know if the technology standards the accepted student received are different than the ones online. The webpage (Technology Standards | USF Health) says that it was updated a month ago but it still says Windows 7 is their preferred OS... can you even buy new PCs with Window 7 nowadays?

Have you been accepted yet? I'm waitlisted but I wanna know if the technology standards the accepted student received are different than the ones online. The webpage (Technology Standards | USF Health) says that it was updated a month ago but it still says Windows 7 is their preferred OS... can you even buy new PCs with Window 7 nowadays?
But are the “requirements” unclear? It seemed like people were getting different answers. It would be frustrating to buy one expensive thing and find out you could’ve bought the one you wanted. (note: I’m still only an applicant, but I’ve been following the conversation)

Yes I've been accepted, and we received an email with a link to relevant documents, one of which was the tech standards. That one listed Windows 10 as the OS for PC. They were pretty explicit requirements.

Hopefully the specs document attached.

Attachments

• Computer Specs 3.19.2018.docx
    28.2 KB · Views: 80

I think one of the issues is exam questions/answers being cut off which is why they require a specific screen size.

But the new MacBook Pros have extremely high resolution displays so I'm not sure why it would be an issue. I think I'll send an email to the student affairs director to clarify if we can get around that requirement with a 13" macbook pro(which has a native resolution of 2560x1600 and can be scaled)

is there a fb page for the incoming md class?

This may be a rookie question, but here goes. I received a call for a scholarship the other day and I'm curious if I can still also receive need based aid. Does anybody know the answer to this question off hand before I reach out to the school?

This may be a rookie question, but here goes. I received a call for a scholarship the other day and I'm curious if I can still also receive need based aid. Does anybody know the answer to this question off hand before I reach out to the school?

A scholarship call from USF? Thats awesome! I don't think it would preclude you from need-based aid, as far as I know they make a "package" for you that you can then choose to accept or reject and I'm guessing any scholarship would be a part of that.

I hope I get some scholarship love too lol, my COA is a little scary.

did u get an email as well or just a call?

Do you have any portal changes in oasis for the scholarship?

A scholarship call from USF? Thats awesome! I don't think it would preclude you from need-based aid, as far as I know they make a "package" for you that you can then choose to accept or reject and I'm guessing any scholarship would be a part of that.

I hope I get some scholarship love too lol, my COA is a little scary.

Yeah, dude. I was totally surprised because I gave up thought of a scholarship long ago (thus why I don't know how it works in a financial aid package).

What I'm more curious if if the school were to determine I'm such and such amount needy, does the scholarship alter my "need." I'll probably reach out today and I'll let you know.

did u get an email as well or just a call?

Phone call and I was told a mailed letter would be coming.

Do you have any portal changes in oasis for the scholarship?

I checked, but no.

How many days have people been waiting without a decision post interview? I'm at 4 weeks on Monday, maybe we reached a timepoint where they wait for declined acceptances/good news instead of mailing a WL letter

How many days have people been waiting without a decision post interview? I'm at 4 weeks on Monday, maybe we reached a timepoint where they wait for declined acceptances/good news instead of mailing a WL letter
I interviewed on 2/20 and received a waitlist letter about 2 weeks(maybe 3) after my interview

Interviewed 3/5 and silence

Yeah, dude. I was totally surprised because I gave up thought of a scholarship long ago (thus why I don't know how it works in a financial aid package).

What I'm more curious if if the school were to determine I'm such and such amount needy, does the scholarship alter my "need." I'll probably reach out today and I'll let you know.

Phone call and I was told a mailed letter would be coming.

I checked, but no.

Congrats on the scholarship! Did they tell you why you received it?

It will adjust what amount of need based aid and loans you are eligible for. Schools will generally create a financial aid package that does not exceed the COA (I'm pretty sure no school exceeds it, but I don't want to make blanket statements), so if your COA was 75K and you get a 25K scholarship, the portion of financing they build from loans/need based funds will be 50K.

Who knows how they allocate those need based monies - but I wouldn't think your expected contribution would be altered by a future scholarship (it 100% won't change in FAFSA).

Interviewed 3/5 and silence

They told my group the committee would meet 2 weeks after my day so the the week of the 12th. I would've assumed we would get mail if they decided since that was last week but idk for sure

I GOT THE LETTER! good ole waitlist. dated March 7th so they probably send them out in batches, check your mail folks.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on the scholarship! Did they tell you why you received it?

It will adjust what amount of need based aid and loans you are eligible for. Schools will generally create a financial aid package that does not exceed the COA (I'm pretty sure no school exceeds it, but I don't want to make blanket statements), so if your COA was 75K and you get a 25K scholarship, the portion of financing they build from loans/need based funds will be 50K.

Who knows how they allocate those need based monies - but I wouldn't think your expected contribution would be altered by a future scholarship (it 100% won't change in FAFSA).

Thanks! The did not tell me why but they told me I would be receiving a letter about it, so I assume that will explain more.

Thanks for the info. As the kids say, "You da real MVP."

Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/27. Anyone have an idea on when the waitlist starts to move?